10 years later, and why has nothing from the hot-blooded manliness genre surpassed Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann yet?

10 years later, and why has nothing from the hot-blooded manliness genre surpassed Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0V7aUT13qtM
youtube.com/watch?v=Ib6xG8iyVRE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Close, but it's not as good

This.

TTGL was child's play in comparison.

NEVER FORGET

Asura's Wrath (and it's DLC in particular)

Technically a game, but it's mostly cutscenes, it's missions are called episodes, it has mid episode commercial bumpers, and it has "next time on previews", so it might as well count as an anime.

>Getterfags in charge of reading the OP

Extend Arm

>When he starts to get his own QTE's to beat yours
>when you fuck him up so hard he starts to miss the inputs

Kill la Kill pretty much BTFO battle shonen and hot blooded manliness.

>KLK
>BTFO anything

I really wish I could get into some of those old mecha shows that /m/ praises but they are so fucking slow and boring it's impossible to enjoy. Only ones I like are Big O, Geass and Gurren andvI know they are surface level but everything below surface is just so trash

>TTGL
>Hotblooded manliness
pick one

>getterfags
>saying anything positive about mazinger

>No Great-Hen
>Never Great-Hen

>Shin Mazinger
>2009
>Old

>enjoying Big O, a show with a terrible second season and an ending so bad that it makes you wonder if the writers of the first season were the ones to actually write the second season

Yeah would you fuck off

Unironically this.

Shin Mazinger deconstructed the super robot genre (and ttgl included) with the ending. Tsubasa thought she was the smartest smug woman in the world and Kouji thought hot blood was key to success, and they got fucked over hard in the end. It's almost cathartic, to see a series that has advocated brawl over brains, and over-confidence to now completely say the reverse.

Which is why Shin Mazinger is one of the most unpopular reboots with its original fanbase, which is why I think it's so great.

> You can't like both
That said, I Shin Mazinger outshines the various Getter OVAs. The best Getter Robo related thing I've experienced is the manga Getter Robo Go, which I highly recommend.

Shin Mazinger outshines Getter ovas overall, but Kawagoe directs better action than Imagawa. I always find myself rewatching snippets of the Getter ovas rather than Shin or Giant a Robo.

Basically the same show as TTGL but worse. All the "hot-blooded" action was pretty weak.

>KLK better than TTGL
I like KLK, but it's an inferior product

ah yes, the show that made me get a hold of myself when i was drowning in a sea of meds for depression/anxiety
god bless Kamina, god motherfucking bless him.

>old xbox died
>no pc port
>tfw can't play
Dad of the fucking century
Asura's Wrath is one of the only vidya that you can watch only the cutscenes and still get the same enjoyment as if you played it all
whoever thought that selling the final chapter as DLC needs to be fucking impaled in the middle of the desert and left to rot
ANIME ADAPTATION WHEEEEENNNNN

Did you see the DLC though? Because it's so hype I don't ever care I had to pay for it

exactly, that's precisely why i ddin't fuss over itt too much back in the day
literally punched a hole in god's skull, sacrificing himself just because someone made his daughter cry.
if that's not worth your coin idk what is

OP here, me too user. I was going through serious depression back in 07 due to various reasons that I won't get into, but TTGL helped me get through the worst parts of it. The show was a metaphorical punch to the jaw - just what I needed during that time.

>gif
wew lad

true, sometimes you just need someone to apply a large quantity of sense right on the jaw region
it's hard to get out of that place when everyone is just sweetalk
meds only numb the fuck out of you, the only way you're getting out is if you get hit hard enough to wake up and realize your life is not fine and you're the only one that can change it
TTGL, BANZAI!

Honestly, I do think that TTGL was probably the last anime that had a ton of care put into it and caused such a storm of community. That and Geass, but I fucking hate Geass. I honestly forgot about GL since I've moved away from anime but episode 8, 15 or 16, and 26. God. Fucking. Damn.

youtube.com/watch?v=0V7aUT13qtM

Watching these live was astonishing. So many good animators. So much care put into the product. So much hype from the community as it aired. It was definitely the definitive "watch as it airs in nipland time" experience.

i wish i could forget all the episodes just to watch them again and get the same feeling as the first time

Mate, I just got done watching the show for the first time in 10 years. I was surprised by how much I had forgotten. Like, I remembered the main events -- who died, when they died -- but the little things, like the hot springs episode or the dynamics between the 4 generals, were completely blanked out of my memory.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ib6xG8iyVRE

You havent read Gantz yet. Or Bokurano.

I don't know what it was but I liked KLK better than TTGL

I like this thread.

TTGL was the first weekly show I started following. Everyone kept hyping it so hard everywhere and I dropped it several times thinking it was a generic action show. Then Episode 8 happened.

I caught up with the series around episode 22, when they end it with Simon's shit eating grin saying it was their final battle. I felt like he was talking to me.

>finish Gurren Lagann
>hear its based off Getter Robo
>Watch Getter
>Its better

Anti-Spirals did nothing wrong

BELIEVE IN THE YOU THAT BELIEVES IN YOURSELF

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

(if it weren't for the hot-blooded manliness genre, probably would've necked myself years ago)

When I first watched it, I felt that the ending of Gurren Lagann was one of the best moments. Simon's sacrifice for the safety of the whole resonated with me, and still does. Some folks say it clashes with the "Do the impossible" theme, but if the show was literally "Screaming fixes everything", the accusation from mecha fans of it being fake hotblood would be warranted. GaoGaiGar Final went that route, and was criticized for it

The issue with the anti-spirals is that the threat that Spiral Power posed was not explored at all. This plot point was lifted straight from Getter Robo Go, and it was done much better there because the Getter was portrayed as this horrifying, all consuming, possibly sentient force that wreaked havoc across the universe. The Getter was legit scary, while Spiral Power lacked a lot of that weight.
We don't see Simon and crew snuffing out entire planets worth of aliens. We don't so those aliens desperately trying to fight back against the spiral users only to get crushed. We don't see spiral users doing anything but being cool and defeating those who wrong them, so the anti-spiral's reasoning falls short.

Alright, gonna be trying this Getter Robo shit right now only because you anons. Will report back in 20 min.

I bet you've seen 20 whole animes.

Daily reminder: Never kiss a Yoko

What was everyone's favorite arc? For me it goes:

Surface arc > Anti-Spiral arc > Spiral King arc > Human Extermination arc

Is that the TV series? Dude read the manga. TTGL resembles that far more than the TV series. Also, read Getter Robo Go. You can read it alone without too much trouble, since it involves a different cast of characters for the most part.

I've seen at least 20 (20 whole animes) and Gurren Lagann is easily the best in the hot-blooded manliness genre.

Wait a second, does that include movies?

Don't mind me, just posting the best scene, with best transformation

TTGL is trash for stupid teenagers.

btw it is actually trash. William James but in the form of a trashy anime series with no originality

Yes but akira is pretty raw too

I've that scene on average once a week for the past 10 years. I can't think of any other scene that makes my blood boil as much as that.

Mother of God, you're actually serious, aren't you?

there has been tho,
it's called "Kill La Kill"

what?