What's going on these days?

Why are anime shows only going up to 10 episodes instead of the usual 12 or 13 now?

Because BDs don't sell

But they're not.

Name 5 shows from this season that do that.

Huh. I don't seem to remember many of these...?

Anime is dyin

look on AniChart you lazy f*cks!

Soon anime shows will only 6 episodes, then 5, and so on until they all become OVAs.

Hajimete no Gal. Is there anything else?

>f*cks

Go back to wherever you came from.

Why are anime shows only going up to 12 or 13 episodes instead of the usual 24 to 26 now?

amines will continue to evolve so you'll just have to accept the current trend

Doesn't it simply reduce financial risks?

On the contrary, I was surprised by how many uninterrupted/unsplit 20-something-episode runs there were this year compared to the past few years. LWA, Sakura Quest, Bahamut: Virgin Soul, Welcome to the Ballroom, Re:CREATORS, Fate/Apocrypha, and Boku no Hero Academia 2, and that's just the stuff I watched.

Stuff like JoJo being long is unsurprising, but it seems like it's on the rise for other shows, and surprising for ones that are new IP like Re:CREATORS or Sakura Quest and less popular ones like Bahamut.

I believe someone did some research but the amount of 24 to 26 episode shows have actually remained the same, somewhat constantly. However, the number of shorter 10 to 13 episode shows have become more prominent to suit the anime advertisement format to sell the source material.

>hajimete no gal
and nothing of value was lost

So that people like Ema get paid less.

The 12-episode series fill the same niche OVAs did in the 90s.

>the 90s had lots of long runners
>2000s had 26 episode shows
>2010s had 12 and few 26
>now we only get 10
Anime industry is dying.

The 90s used to actually adapt shit instead of being shameless commercials for light novels

Shows are being as long as they need to be as they move to digital only distribution. No longer constrained to arbitrary schedules. Many of those 1 or 2 eps of fillers are simply not being made now, and the resources are being spent making more shorter shows, than fewer longer ones. The 2 or 3 shows that do manage to be longer are mostly adaptations that become successful. It is a more of a seasonal consumption of work rather then the OVA days of old. I could probably list some more contrived probably false reasons, but

tl:dr depends on the show.

There are always a few that go for it, mostly shounen-y series with a lot of rerun potential. I think Ballroom and GuruGuru are this season.