Did this kill the mecha genre?

Did this kill the mecha genre?

Not really. Mecha anime was already going to shit in the early 90s.

you mean saved it from toy commercial hell?

Nice meme

Not the same thing. All that merch is a product of Eva's success alone not because it was made or supported with mecha toy manufacturing in mind.

Killed my boner from having that shitty trash Rei on the screen

Mecha has always been a bad genre, Eva is an anomaly in that its actually good.

Caused it to boom. Television anime changed because of Eva. Most TV anime before it were kid's shows. We can thank Eva for the influences it had.

>Eva
>good

10/10 edit

>Eva isn't for chidren

>having TWO boxes of Misato's car
>not opening one of them
people like you make me sick

It really spoils my broth that even the supposed fans call it Eva instead of NGE.

No.
Change in zeitgeist made the genre take back seat.
Just like how we have no more big 3

It's the only good Mecha

No, Eva didn't kill the mech genre. It did make a sort of shift in what mecha shows were like briefly, but really the genre has always been in a sort of spiraling self destructive-resurrective cycle where at one point most mecha shows will be all preppy and hyper before getting torn apart by more depressive works, which starts a wave of imitators, which then eventually results in someone making another more upbeat mecha show and the cycle continues.

Eva is sorta similar to Madoka in that people think it killed a genre by destroying it's foundation, when in reality the genre was always taking shots at itself. Asuka is a female version of Tetsuya Tsurugi, the machine actually being more of an eldritch being than a force for good reeks of Getter Robo, and Shinji Ikari is pretty much Amuro Ray if he didn't have a Bright Noa to help guide him. I'm not saying Eva is a bad show, but the more you look at it the more you realize how many references there are to past Giant robot series and that it really doesn't destroy them as badly as most people think.

Eva is the watchmen of mechas.
Everyone tried to copy it in the worst ways

Technically YuGiOh did take a large chunk of it since card games became the hot new thing in boys toys. Obari has even illustrated some Vanguard cards.

Eva was a paradigm shift in mecha. While there were serious and psyche-touching anime before, it took the concepts to a whole new level that spawned for many years several anime with a similar feeling and themes.

Misato Doujins did

I think it's rather that it increased the genre variety in anime. So any massive genre suffered in a sense.

Fucking hell that's some force in his ejaculation. I wonder if he was in danger of blowing his hand off when he jerked to Asuka's body?

Fucking hell that's some force in his ejaculation. I wonder if he was in danger of blowing his hand off when he jerked into his palm to comatose Asuka?

No, Gundam did with its awful spam of shows. G, W and X aired literally one after the other.

does eva unit count as mecha? all mechanical part were limiter for their "real nature" ; the umbilical cable and entry plug with pilot were substitute for the soul??( maybe that too far BS ). Does "alien" cyborgs fit in the mecha genre? ( alien because angel are a different lifeform )

What's the use in being this pedantic about genre?

No, Gundam overexposing itself since the early 90's with an endless stream of series each more mediocre than the last did.

It sucks because it's popular, right?
Also, not really. Mecha wasn't that good at the time anyway. It never "died"

Yes, it was.

op asked if it ruined the genre and i never felt NGE to be mecha. I ask to see if people feel different

>calling it the english title
Retard.

I'd say it does count as mecha. While I've heard arguments that it is more like a Kaiju series disguised as a mecha series, at this point it's widely considered in popular culture as a mecha series.

And the fact that the Evangelions are piloted kinda lends weight to this fact, as I believe there have been mechs with an organic component to them before this series, though I may be wrong.

Regardless it's all up to personal definition at this point, it's pretty subjective.

There are several definitions of mecha.
According to japanese definition every anime focusing on human or AI controlled machines are mecha. It doesn't even need to be robots.
According to /m/ rules even Symphogear is mecha.
As for Sup Forums it's not one person and probably everyone has their own definition here.

Gundam is popular and it is the best mecha anime

This revived it

Can I watch Shin Getter Robo without watching the original Getter Robo?

>not letting the retard stay ignorant
Fucking idiot

Yes but you won't understand anything. Read the first manga so you have a grip on the characters and setting.