NGE (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

What does Sup Forums think of NGE? Reviews preferred but not required. Also, how did you watch it and when did you watch it?

>NGE (Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Thanks for the parenthesis OP, I would've never guessed.

its aight

You're right. I probably shouldn't have done that.

6/10, 2.22 was trash

Neon Genesis Evangelion is the best anime ever made. It's well written, it has phenomenal direction, and it's a statement on both human nature and the very medium it finds itself in.

You could also argue that it's the only reason this website exists.

I mean more the TV series and EOE, i personally dont like the rebuilds.

>You could also argue that it's the only reason this website exists

What do you mean by that user?

I absolutely loved it, it was the first show to ever make re really sad that it was over for a few days after I finished it, something I hadn't felt since I finished Dragon Ball Z as a kid. I first watched about half a year ago in shitty 480p, then in 1080p with the director's cut episodes. It's touching, beautiful and it's characterization is very nearly unparalleled in the amount of episodes it had. My personal favorite part is End of Evangelion, and my favorite characters are Asuka and Shinji, but I love them all. Needless to say, the Rebuilds are a disappointment at best, a bastardization at worst. All and all, it's taken it's place in my top three favorite shows of all time.

Anyone that doesn't get NGE is Neon Genesis Evangelion shouldn't be here. also topic question is too fucking broad. might as well start a WTHDIJW thread.

Whoot was an asukafag and wanted a chinese style site where to talk about his waifu.

>itt: newfags
Idiots, moot made this site as an english alternative to 2channel.

Why'd you respond to me? All I did was give my opinion on the series. Stop derailing the thread

t. Can't read in between the lines

If Moot wasn't madly in love with some fictional German, his underageb8 ass wouldn't have desired to make Sup Forums.

First time I watched it was amazing. But I was probably 13 at the time. So I came back to it 12 years later.

After that I still liked it, aside from the budget cutting fillers, it was amazingly executed. Blame Anno for that I guess, or whatever filler directors they had. You really do get the feeling that the characters could be real people. That it was more than just a collection of hideous tropes convoluted into a brain dead story. It made me realize how much anime really relies on the directors.

>moot made this site as an english alternative to 2channel.
that's just what I said.

When I was 10 and just getting into Anime NGE was my favorite. I still own my old Eva VHS tapes. It's not a favorite show for me anymore - but Anno is a good director and the show is well loved for good reason. People exaggerate how much new ground was covered content wise, but the fact that it is largely derivative of what came before it while still being high quality just makes it seem like a love letter to it's ancestors.

quoted the wrong person, gomenasai m9.
>derailing the thread
nothing to derail, we've had this discussion before and it always ends up talking about shitty waifu shit, instead of Anno's inspiration and the themes of Eva.

Pretty much this. NGE and EoE are absolute gems. Ide like to add that in addition to being gorgeous pieces of art, they are very thought provoking, all in the main cast present various aspects of the human condition each with believable mental issues. You could do a character study on every one of them

Rebuilds are bad, but 3.0 is total trash imo

I get that you've been discussing it for decades, but I didn't experience it until recently. These days, people IRL fucking HATE old anime so not only did I miss all the discussion but I rarely have a chance to talk about Eva. So at the very least, let us discuss it here. Why not contribute and talk about your experience, when you watched it and what you think of it instead of declaring the thread shit and derailing it?

You're right, I shouldnt be here. Bye!

D-don't go

>2channel
Pretty sure it was 2chan, 2ch is a textboard.

What does Sup Forums think of NGE?
A pest, as the fanbase, nothing about eva was new or brilliant for me and I still can't understand why most otakus loves it, the fanservice was boring, I don't care about the "girls", structural designs and mechas are not into my taste and the ending was the most pretentious thing I have ever seen in my life.
>how did you watch it and when did you watch it?
DVDs on a physical dvd player with country's dub, 4 years ago.

Funfact: every psychiatric patient of my age I have ever meet, has recommend me to watch eva.

Rebuild is different but not good either.

>shitting on a series because muh fanservice and muh waifus
>waaaah i dont like mechas
Way to miss the entire point of the series

Should (not) have done that. Learn how to use parenthesis.

And the point is?

Muh loneliness.

Amazing series. Probably not THE BEST ever, but that is completely relative to the watcher. It is among the runner ups.
Very subjective series, some people wont relate as much as others, it was made for a specific crowd of autists, but its great to them

All girls are good, i have a favorite but the amount of shitposters here make discussion tiresome.

Depression. Thats why the psychiatric patient keep recommending it.

Also if you dont like, thats ok, but calling names like you did is outright childish.

>Also, how did you watch it and when did you watch it?
Earlier this year, .mkv batch
Im so fucking bad handling my backlog.

I didn't care much about the philosphical stuff, but the plot and characters were really interesting. I still remember the chills I felt seeing Unit 01 going berserk on Zeruel, one of the greatest anime scenes I've ever watched.

>series
fuck, this is perfect
>EoE
fuck, this is perfect
>2.0
fuck, this is perfect
>3.0
fuck, this is shit
I didn't bother watching the rest.

Damn, Hideaki Anno looks like THAT??

You watched 2.0 and 3.0 but not 1.0? And desu, 2.0 is just as bad as 3.0.

I heard that 1.0 was just another recap and didn't want to watch it.
My problems with 3.0 are nonexistant before that point so I still love everything I saw before that.

You are lucky there isn't anything else

2.0 is the opposite of the series, and 3.0 is much closer to the series. You must be truly retarded.

>"girls"
>dub
>misuse of spoiler tags
>pretentious
>reddit spacing
おめでとう

Certified Neon Genesis Evangelion expert here (or 新世紀エヴァンゲリオン as my more cultured friends say it). Having watched Neon Genesis Evangelion over one hundred and seventy five times from everything to fansubbed VHS, laserdisc, dvd, downloaded, and the blu ray set I imported from Japan I can confirm it is the greatest anime ever made.

Yeah yeah, you're not the only guy I heard that from. If you can't back that up I'm just going to assume you're like the rest of them.

NGE: 5/10
EoE: 8/10
Rebuilds: 2/10

I like how it avoided just being a 'mecha anime' and was instead a series about depression and self determination with mechas in it.
The characters are great, my only problem is that Shinji's character arc isn't that big. He opens up just a little bit then goes back to his old self the moment shit starts falling apart.
I love the worldbuilding and storytelling in it. The designs were really cool and the animation was good.

For me it was more like

Eva 7/10
EoE 8/10
Reb 5/10

In the rebuilds it loses its original form for the sake of acceptance by more people.