Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VCttS3LeCOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=czDB3lEPKBM#t=10m8s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>was I the only one who liked the dub of maid dragon
Yes.
>was I the only one who liked maid dragon
Yes.

No, the English language is perfectly serviceable and anyone who says otherwise is a big stinkyhead.

Japanese is a bitch to be fluent in anyway, Korea had the right idea with the creation of the Alphabet.

I didn't mind it.

No one watches dubs for slice of life anyway.

pic related

You'd be hard pressed to find a weeb who actually likes dubs, least of all on this board.

That said Maid Dragon was pretty standard for a modern dub, not really good or bad, just par the course

this was one of like 4 odd lines in the entirety of the dub, as a whole it was pretty dang fun to watch and people didn't even start getting mad about this shit until months after it aired when some faggot wrote an essay on reddit about it

Dub is a good gateway though. I have a couple of friends who started out by watching the dub for Dragon Ball Z

To this day, he still prefers dub, that poor soul.

>I have a couple of friends who started out by watching the dub for Dragon Ball Z
That's pretty much anybody who grew up in the late 90's/early 2000's. DBZ, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, whatever.

>par for the course
but tohru's english voice is a miracle

That picture of Tohru is a crime.

is preferring things in your own language really so bad?
dubs these days are way better than they were in the 90s

As a whole, maybe. Some of them are still pretty bad. I'm looking at you, MonMusu.

Some people take it too seriously.

Oh well, I still adored the prison school dub even with the throwaway GG line.

Besides, the joke was that they'll wan to see her titties a week from then.

>sentai
>bad
what else did you expect
it seems like funimation is the only company that tries to have consistent quality in their dubs these days

I only glanced at their Amagi dub, but their Sento sounded okay. Same with their Black Bullet.

Modern broadcast dubs border on unwatchable. Like back in the pre-2010's Funi dubs were pretty good, sure. Now? Not so much.

which ones do you mean by modern broadcast?
all their simuldubs have been pretty great and they're finally using new actors in those

heh, this isn't real right?

Funi has done okay with Hero Academia at least.

It's real. Jamie "Panty" Marchi wrote this as she did to Prison School.

I used to be huge on dubs. Now any time I even peek at a simuldub, I can't even tolerate it for more than 10 seconds before I nope the fuck outta there. That includes supposedly good ones like Dragon Maid.

They might not always be Sentai bad, but your standards have to be really fucking low to watch them.

I did watch Dagashi Kashi dubbed and that was pretty good, but that's the only one I'm aware of.

Black Lagoon dub is the only worthwhile way to watch it. Fucking fite me if you think otherwise.

Shall I mkae the obligatory
>You can't even understand the language so you only get to base quality off of sound of line deliverance
followed by
>It's easy to give English shit because you can understand it and Va's work differently in the States.

All valid criticisms of course.

I`d say certain dubs are alright, like Bebop and Baccano, the vast majority of dubs are quite bad though.
It would help if there were more than two weeb VAs and they didn`t have an American accent.

Jap VAs are good in that, too.
Nerd.

Meme criticisms, there is much more money in the Jap anime voice acting industry, so it makes sense that it`s better in general.

>from the same team that does MLP
Too bad Ocean hasn't dubbed many anime. Gintama is one of the latest anime they does I believe.

nah, man. I enjoyed quite a bit. I watched the series first with subs, then another time with the dubs.

prison school was someone else
but why? what is it that makes you think they're so shit in comparison to other stuff?
nobody ever gives concrete reasons and it always sounds like hearsay to me, I'm pretty autistic when it comes to voice acting and I enjoy most of the stuff they put out
I honestly think 99% of dub hate comes from watching the sub first and having that be the first impression, which makes sense but doesn't mean every dub is automatically fucking terrible

Yes, fuck off OP.

Only Cromartie, Princess Tutu, Dragon Ball Z, Baccano, Bebop, Yu Yu Hakusho, Haruhi, Lucky Star, and Captain Tylor have good dubs. Only Yu Yu Hakusho is better dubbed. Most other dubs that I've heard are shitty.

I feel like the jap anime voice acting anime just has better direction. I don't have very good understanding of japanese but i can understand what they are trying to emphasis and at for inflections and shit.

>prison school was someone else
Tyson Rinehart is credited for the GG line, but Marchi is the lead writer who should have seen it but let it pass.

>Haruhi
That reminds me, dub Kyon was fantastic.

Much more money and decades of experience in the jap industry.

I generally prefer localization over just translation but almost every liberty taken by this dub was garbage. It's shit and you're shit.

>dbz
I always laugh seeing this listed as a great dub when the only reason it's well regarded is because of nostalgia
youtu.be/VCttS3LeCOQ
kai is another story, but the fact people think THAT'S the shit one is even funnier

enjoyed it until the feminist shit

Yeah but then you got stuff like Castlevania from netflix so it really shows that good american VAing comes down to good direction.

I only watched DBZ dubbed recently.

I dunno, I think a lot of it has to do with how they're always trying to "do a voice" instead of just talking like a normal person. In certain shows like shonen, this works fine, because those are cartoony, and cartoony voices fit. Otherwise it just seems like they're trying too hard and it comes off as not being very genuine.

Another thing is just knowing how little these VAs know or care about what they're voicing, and the contempt they probably have for it. Most dub VAs got into acting because they wanted to be in film and TV, or at least broadway, but they couldn't cut it, so now they have to resort to voicing 6 year old dragon lolis playing sexy twister. They don't understand anime culture, and to them, they probably think they're voicing jerkoff material for pedophiles, and they hate every moment of it.

99% of Japanese anime voice acting is also "doing a voice".

>dub
Holy shit nigger what are you doing? The only dubfags who should exist are those mexican faggots with nostalgia glasses who think DB dub was good, but why the fuck would you watch anything past 1986 dubbed?

I wouldn`t know about Netflix stuff, just know of the old classics, maybe with the big money being poured in recently quality will increase.

I liked Tohru's and Kobayashi's. Kanna felt a bit off, but I grew to like it.

Good Dub > Sub
fuck you fight me

I'll fucking fight you nigger, meet me after school.

Your inherent wrongness will knock you out for me.

How about, you fuck off and I don`t beat you up?

Jap Kanna is way superior compare to other roles.

english kanna was still cute as shit
the only one I I liked more in Japanese was lucoa, english was missing the ara ara motherliness
elma in english was really great too

Fuck you.

Female western VAs can't do moe for whatever reason.

>moe
Moe isn't a voice type.

Well, they can sound more their age and have a deeper voice range which I like.

Also, they rarely make my ears bleed, they can just sound cute.

Yes.

There are some who can do it, but very few.

Still can't erase Rikka's dub voice.

>being unable to handle all female Japanese voices
Fuck off newfag.

> being a tone deaf weeb who can't admit when a Jap VA goes way too damn high and makes your ears bleed

Admitting your bias is the first step to solving the problem user.

How can you call me biased when you're complaining about voices slightly higher than the American voices you're used to?

You're biased in that you prefer subs over dubs because your'e too tone deaf to realize that Jap Va's are normal voices when in reality only high pitched harpies and opera singers should ever hit that high a tone and squeak on a regular basis.

Some dubs are alright but dubfags deserve death desu

You're biased to dubs since you grew up with them. Things are always better in their original version. I'm fine with all voice tones when they're a part of the original audio.

You're biased in that just because it's original audio, you think it inherently superior, you Weeaboo.

You grew up with Subs later in life, and forget that English VSs can have just as good vocal tones without causing pain to one's eardrums.

The usual examples of Cowboy Bebop, Baccano, etc. etc. show this.

English Tohru starts off pretty strong, but she isn't consistent throughout the rest of the series. The longer it goes, the more the VA tries slipping in off-beat, cutesy or exaggerated deliveries for the sake of a scene which does fine without them.

It's merely a dragon enjoying a hot cup of tea or coffee, user.

>mfw I want to be held from behind like that

>Weeaboo
>having weak as fuck ears
>capitalizing random words
>making baseless assumptions
You fucker, there are plenty of dubs that are fine including the ones you brought up. I'm not just a piece of shit who disrespects the director's vision because of his shitty ears and Western biases. I watch French films in French, German films in German, Swedish films in Swedish, etc.

agreed. there's just something off about a big black guy sounding like an old Japanese man.

me too user

>4 odd lines in the entirety of the dub
>doesn't mention "OOOH, that's DEEP, Miss Kobayashi!"
They ruined the arguably best scene in the adaption.

Isn't English a wonderful language, 26 letters, so many words,, it's beautiful.
Dubs are great aren't they?

wait, what's wrong with that? I don't fully remember whatever scene you're mentioning

I agree but why did you have to make this shitty reddit-esque post, making me question myself

Somehow this reminds me that we get chorogonsen and valentine's day sometime this month.

youtube.com/watch?v=czDB3lEPKBM#t=10m8s
Emotional timing utterly ruined.

Kobayashi's lisp in the funi dub is trash

same

This is painful to listen to.

>Shouta baby

whats happening here?

oh come on that's not even bad
sure it's silly but it doesn't totally ruin anything

Fuck off

Kobayashi (male) is relentlessly hugging his maidragon's fat tail.

It's obnoxious as fuck. For a good example of anime girls being voiced well in English, try K-ON! or Lucky Star.

wow, you sure convinced me

>Maidragon dub tries to trigger the offshoot of /r9k/ that is Sup Forums
>succeeds
>a good laugh is had by everyone else, at both the joke and the successful triggering
Perfect.

but tohru is a good example

Absolutely not. She's inconsistent and lacks any of the charm of the original.

subtitles are what's obnoxious, and the "emotional timing" is non-existent when you're just reading a clump of text at the bottom of the screen
it's hard to feel any connection or impact from the words when I don't understand them at all and I'm just loosely connecting them to the subtitles

>lacks any of the charm of the original
but that's completely wrong
she's more charming than the original, who in jap sounds generic and just like every other upbeat anime girl

I am strongly considering purchasing the DVD set, I haven't done this since Gundam Unicorn. The fuck is wrong with me?

If you watched anime or foreign media in general enough, you get used to them. There's also the fact that you could easily tell which emotions are being conveyed by the tone of the actor's voice.
How can she sound like every other upbeat anime girl if none of them sound alike unless they're the same actress? That's like saying all of one musical genre sounds the same even though you didn't listen to it enough to pick up its subtleties. Tohru doesn't sound like any other anime character to me.

lurn 2 read better

I'm just not a fan of the inherent disconnect in understanding subtitles create and how they demand 100% of attention, which is distracting when you're supposed to be watching something
in just that clip I felt more from the dub even with tohru's silly line, because although you can tell foreign emotions by their tone it just isn't on the same level as actually understanding what they're saying, there's a lot of little things that go into understanding language that you miss completely when you don't speak it

since this is the only dragon maid thread up at the moment i'll say this here. I'm a little chuffed of the fact that it is only mentioned once that Iruru's parents were killed by humans and they even associated with eachother. Not even later on when she is living with Kobayashi. So much potential for a good character arc but all we got was another loli dragon with bigger oppai than Tohru that won't be seen in the anime (probably).

what I meant is that there's nothing that really makes her stand out in Japanese, whereas in english she sounds totally unique and her bubbliness is so profound you can't help but love her
she's a near perfect translation of the character into english but cranked up just the right amount to really make her shine

Subtitles don't demand nearly any attention to me. Reading them is second nature. Feeling any disconnect from using subtitles only happens within the first month or so of using them, like the sore feelings you get during the first month of exercising. Due to not needing to conform to Japanese lip flaps like dubs, they're also able to convey more meaning in their word choice.

they still demand you to be staring at the screen like a hawk, otherwise you'll miss something completely
also if there's a lot of stuff being said while there's an action scene or anything with a lot of movement it becomes incredibly easy to miss stuff, not to mention if two characters talk at once and there's multiple subtitle lines at the same time which becomes a clusterfuck really quick
no matter how good one gets at comfortably reading subtitles you're still not understanding the language itself, which is where the disconnect I was talking about comes from
in the end it all boils down to the fact that if I'm going to be reading subtitles, which takes away from the visual medium anime is, what's the point of watching the anime instead of reading the manga?

I have never seen a western VA do a proper child's voice

I can see where you're coming from if you have ADHD