What are some valid criticisms of this show/manga

What are some valid criticisms of this show/manga

Toei.

It's too long and too formulaic.

This really. I mean I guess you could so say its very Shonen.

Probably the fact that most of the arcs follow the same formula. Also for the manga, sometimes it's really hard to tell what's happening in panels because a. there's too much irrelevant shit in the panel or b. the shot is framed badly.

Criticising a typical shounen manga by saying it's very shounen isn't a valid criticism.

its a fucking long

The concept of pirates make no sense, theres like 5 actual pirate groups and the rest are just superheros

Most of the characters are one note boring pieces of shit

The power scaling is bullshit

Characters are forgotten and not brought up for hundreds of chapters

Also every arc in the new world has been pretty mediocre

Too much running.

> This is shit. I don't want it

> But I WANTED it to be shit, so you do.

too long

-repeating arcs since timeskip
-power of friendship literally wins luffy 80%+ of his fights
-bullshit powerspike prior to enies lobby
-the maincrew is absolutely horrible
-pirate is just another word for "i want to sail the sea"
-devil fruit powers started to get copied, only receive very slight adjustments
-arcs are too stretched and introduce to many worthless characters so half the arcs feel like filler
-the fights are bad an boring, its just smashing and even characters with more refined skill sets end up engaging luffy face to face for no legitimate reason

Powerlevels are dumb. Especially compared to pre timeskip stuff

>pirate is just another word for "i want to sail the sea"
That's part of the theme though. The World Govt is quick to label anybody who doesn't fall in line a pirate. That includes regular adventurers a lot of the time.

Devil fruits are ridiculously overused now. They should have remained extremely rare like they were originally made out to be.

Bleach always got shit for not killing its characters but One Piece for some reason keeps all it characters alive (even bad guys) and yet no one gives One Piece shit for it

>but One Piece for some reason keeps all it characters alive
If you actually read/watched it, you'd know that's bullshit.

Spee D. Reader

Ace
Whitebeard

Congrats he killed two characters

this is true for all Shounen shit though. And when they do kill off characters it's just supporting ones that no one really cared about. See, Ace, Neji, Shigeshige. To be fair the deaths can be impactful, it's just never main characters.

I know you're thinking of Pell user, I'm aware he lived and that it's dumb.

And what, You want Luffy to start straight up murdering his opponents? Or you want someone in the main crew to die? The only time where someone should have died and didn't was Pell.

>And what, You want Luffy to start straight up murdering his opponents?

Nope but having some of them die after an intense fight would be nice. Why does every henchman of the Yonko need to live? Why does every vice admiral need to live?

I think it's biggest flaw is that it has no qualities. The art style is bad, the plot is boring, the characters are stupid, it's too long and repetitive, the premise is very generic and uninteresting, there is nothing that really keeps you reading to find out "what happens next". I guess the over-the-top fights are cool but they aren't done very well, like the characters don't feel very "powerful"

Eh. Same could be said for most shonen manga.

It's shounenshit so you shouldn't expect too much from it.

True, but

>20+ years straight of writing this shit

How does he do it?

$$$

Everyone's still buying because they just want to find out how it ends.

Everything this guy said is true.
Battle shonen where the battle are Looney Tunes gag bullshit. No actual force beind the strikes, no sense of characters being biological creatures taking damage, no long-term consequences, nothing. Just POW BANG KABOUM bullshit.

What I mean is it doesnt do much to set itself apart from other shonen works

Unrealistic character motivations
Inconsistent world building
Flawed narrative structure

That it lost some of its charm after the time skip.
Even with the current arc it's harder to be excited even with a yonkou chasing them. It's like hard to feel the rush that impel down gave off. Luffy now is stronger and for some reason I just feel the woeght of the world like I did with impel down. I don't feel the vastness of the new world like we did with the first half of the grand line. I still love this manga, and it still surprises me, but Big Mom needs to reveal something huge about the world, or Black beard needs to reveal something.

Can you elaborate because only your first point makes sense since it's a shonen battle adventure manga. You aren't going to get realistic goals.

There's no problem with it being long so long as it's entertaining in itself. But it's too formulaic that you stretch the series and it's lost the original spark it had that some old readers hopped on for. All the way until after the timeskip things were at least consistent. After the timeskip, the story narrative sticks to the same new kingdom > meet estranged royalty (princess or not) > rescue them > find the big bad > kick his ass and fixes all the problems. There are no consequences to the characters actions and minor characters get their last outing despite the audience not interested in their final fate or contribution (King Baum?). The whole Fishman island and Dressrosa arc had people reminiscent on the Arlong park and Alabastra arc rightfully so. Callbacks are overrated and lazy, it means Oda's ability as a writer has dropped since then.

I can't agree because a lot happened. And the over the top fights are done extremely well, you don't see "I'm behind you now, too slow" stuff like in everything else.

power creep
asspulls to make luffy win

Name one asspull?

Please lurk before you post, your post sticks out like a sore thumb.

>I think it's biggest flaw is that it has no qualities
>names off qualities he doesn't like
Ok?

Because death is permanent in one piece

>going marry coming to save them

probably the biggest asspull and its getting ignored because MUH EMOTIONS.

>pell

>luffy pulling 4 tons of pure gold on his arm but being stuck between 2 houses , zoro who lifts who knows how much stuck in chimney

>the whole doffy fight pretty much , especially anything that had Law involved

now dont get me wrong , i love one piece but it does have some bull shit

People who say this are retards.
WOW HOW COME EVERYONE HAS A DEVIL FRUIT WHEN WE'RE DEALING WITH THE MOST POWERFUL PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.

They used to be rare because the crew was fighting literally whos. Stronger people means stronger powers.

Going marry, yeah but thats not luffy saving the day it's him being saved.

Pell surviving is fair, you don't side step an explosion like in smashbros.

Luffy pulling gold isn't that far off when he's fought a whale, and Zoro and Sanji could kill dinosaurs for food that weigh a lot more than that gold ball.

Doffy fight worked because luffy still needed the help of everyone after gear 4 ran out of gas.

That's because the users are all in the grand line. Out side of the grand line they are extremely rare.

The difference between brownbeard and kingbaum. Holy shit Oda does not get that these fucking marathon filler panels do nothing and add nothing of substance to his story. He does it too often. Now atleast they are getting chased by bigmeme thats better than the slimeshit. But he stalls so much in these last few arcs. Luffy fights Doflamingo suddenly the earth builds up a maze and some fucking faggot says luffy has to go 5 levels and muh seastone handcuffs. Like holy shit kys this manga has been shit since timeskipp

Doffy didnt just fly to raftel

To be fair in-universe the concept of piracy is more about being free. They are more like nomad's and just like in real life people that can can simply be on an adventure or they could be homeless and broke with no choice but to jack others people up to get by.

He couldnt

Raftel probably is like Fishman Island, as in you need specific conditions to get there. My bet is that it's either underwater, a sky island or in some other dimension altogether.

it's not 20 years of him just scribbling stuff down either. Oda is almost inhumanely prolific. If during his 18 hour workday he's not drawing the manga itself he's doing a million other things associated with it.

I forget if it was in the manga to, but the anime has shown raftel and it looks like a regular island. No doubt there's a lot more to it of course.

>The concept of pirates make no sense, there's like 5 actual pirate groups and the rest are just superheros
>The power scaling is bullshit
These two are bullshit
>Characters are forgotten and not brought up for hundreds of chapters
How can you call character forgotten if they come back? Only if they DON'T come back can you call them forgotten, unless the story makes situations where a character would be useful AND have the ability to be in that situation and doesn't use them. If not, how can you blame Oda for not using characters from forever ago. This criticism is bullshit of the highest order.
>Also every arc in the new world has been pretty mediocre
Sadly this is a fact. Zou was pretty lit for how short it was. The Elephant can TALK dude. Void Century incoming.

Yeah the only real critism is the lack luster of the new world.

> 4 tons
Actually it was more like 700

Every post-timeskip arc is mediocre at best.

>Luffy pulling gold isn't that far off when he's fought a whale, and Zoro and Sanji could kill dinosaurs for food that weigh a lot more than that gold ball.

So you're ignoring the inconsistent power levels?

Then after going through the maze and getting to the actual fight.

>DUDE YOU HAVE TO RECHARGE YOUR HAKI FOR "10 MINUTES"

Dat jump

Dressrosa was a mistake. Fuck Doflamingo.

dressrosa arc was 2 whole arcs wrapped into one though. bnha speedreader pls leave

>dressrosa arc was 2 whole arcs wrapped into one
no it wasn't

>These two are bullshit
Not even him but go look up the definition of pirate.
Luffy is constantly getting power ups in between arcs.

>How can you call character forgotten if they come back?
So you're going to ignore all the names characters throughout one piece that we have never heard from again?

There's not a single character I give a fuck about.

Not at all, luffy being able to smash an entire building like arlong park.
Luffy going toe to toe with a giant whale, Luffy's strength is pretty huge before he went second gear. His power was pretty consistent not to mention he was dragging that thing, it wasn't like it was light for him.

>Luffy is constantly getting power ups in between arcs.
He had almost the same strenght from east blue to Sky island, then he developed gear 2 and 3 wich were his only power ups he got until the time skip, after 2 years he got haki and gear 4, that's it

Of course I'm not that well versed on oldish works, but One Piece is 20 years old. It predates a fuckton of other shonens.

>tournament not an arc
>sugar and toys not an arc
>enies lobby and water 7 separate arcs
just because the geographical location is the same doesn't mean we aren't on the same topic.

This isn't Bleach, Naruto or DBZ. Luffy and his crew can't just fly or teleport over to old characters any time they like. This is One piece, they're on the goddamn ocean, not to mention they are in a completely new section, they aren't by east blue like before, they can't just visit Baratie any time they want, they cant just visit Dr.Kurehara or Laboon and immediately return to the Red line. Come on man. Out of all of the shounen to drop older characters, this one does it best, not to mention that they haven't even really been forgotten because the Reverie is coming and it showed all of the beginning arcs characters again. They'll be returning and I'm almost certain that the Straw Hats will interuppt the reverie in some way, allowing the characters to catch up with eachother
Retard.

Except they were on the same topic, they focused on many topics and there were chapters of other things happening sprinkled around when the tournament still going on. The plan to knock out sugar was established before the tournament ended.

except zoro

After the time-skip the character is pure bore, perfect and arrogant in every way.
Zoro was interesting before because he struggled both with his crew and opponents. Now he's pure edge.

Pretty much all the Straw Hats are worse after the time-skip outside of Franky.

I wasn't told I would have to provide examples!

But I'm not sure that we'd be talking about the same thing, as goals=/= motivations.

The tournament wasn't a discrete thing. It was a solid part of the SAME ARC which is Dressrosa arc. You can argue that it was a mini arc within the bigger story arc, but if you go by your definition you should also make the train part before Enies Lobby its own arc.

Well I was expecting you to back up your other two points, because if not then your analysis is wrong. Motivations aren't the same as goals but they are still made up of same unrealistic means. Your other 2 examples of critism ypu need to back that up with logic and that goes with examples to prove your logic.

So you didn't want to talk about the first point?

Your sentence was unclear, since you said only the first goal makes sense, while not saying anything about the other two I had listed.

So beyond just your use of the term "goals" now I'm more confused about what you were saying.

Could you start over?

People don't stay dead when they should die. Like say, a full on cannon blast to the face. A close range C4 explosion. The list goes on.

All women look like a cross between a blow up doll and a bimbo, and that's not a compliment.

Dressrosa SUCKED

Sure, I made the mistake in typing in goals instead of motivation. But in one piece and most shounen manga motivations and goals are both unrealistic by default. That's why I said I just mixed the two up, because in my logic to the conversation at hand they both are made up of the same unrealistic principles.
What i wanted to talk about is your other two points. They were lacking anything substantial.

bad anime adaption
dunno if there will be an arc that can compete with Marineford in scale
relies on flashbacks a bit too much
Logia is too OP brings the entire power system out of balance

formulaic I'll buy but I don't get the problem with the length

only time I had problem with length is if something is suppose to be urgent (Shikon jewel, Black Organization, etc.) or if it's a "will they or won't they" scenario. One Piece isn't even that important since the MC only wants it for street cred and since it's on the other side of the planet the length seems justified

I gained absolutely nothing from Pel not dying and that pisses me off to this day. Like. Him not dying basically ruined that whole part of the story for me.
I get that Oda's writing a manga for kids but holy shit. Please let someone die. It makes it feel like there are no stakes.

The anime is shit because they use children to make the art. The greatest problema of the manga, at least right now , is the creation of useless characters that don't matter at all in each arc. Dressrosa for example would be as good as Enies Lobby if it wasn't for Rebecca and all her bullshit, but Oda does that in almost every arc, so we shouldn't be surprised.

Imterestingly, the only arc without useless people is the favorite of many: Enies Lobby

>Inconsistent world building
>Flawed narrative structure
(you)

Aside from Pudding, most female characters that are good looking are boring.

Even Pudding got boring now that she's in love with Sanji. Her high spec sociopathic tsunyandere act already bores me. I wish she were Sanji's downfall, and I almost thought she would be at some point, but I realize now I've been naive.

Time Skip is not good as Part 1. It just doesn't have the same magic. Enies Lobby, Impel down, Marineford etc.. are all amazing arcs

Also Oda waste too much time developing characters like Rebecca, who are not important to the overall plot.

This. Fights are a fucking disgrace, and comparing them to Kengan Ashura makes me want to strangle that hack Oda.

I still like One Piece but there are a number of issues I have problem with post-TS:

+ Inconsistent power scales. A lot of shonen manga feature exponential power growth but that's a separate discussion. The problem usually is that later in a series the manga will start to bend the rules or ignore its own internal consistency to compensate. One Piece isn't as bad as say... Bleach where by the end every character was broken and had bullshit deus ex powers. But it is a problem in One Piece. Doflamingo's birdcage being indestructible that only Luffy can break but an admiral (stronger) can't for the sake of plot.

+ Too many fucking characters. When was the last time Strawhats were all together for an arc? Punk Hazard. Too many separate adventures. It's O-K sometimes, I think WCI arc right now is a good example of it working but that's because its only a couple strawhats and fewer non-SH characters. There's been a lot of non-SH characters being featured prominently and it takes away from allowing SH characters to shine.

+Pacing has been awful. Dressrosa went on for way too fucking long.

Then there's complaints like this most of which I think really applies to shonen as a whole.
One Piece is still one of the better shonen action/adventure but at times it still relies on the genres conventions which may not be for everyone.

Yeah, I'm thinking your approach is a bit off, I got no real sense you wanted to talk about the other two at all. (And I would say you can have "unrealistic" goals in the sense of hyperbole, without the motivations being unrealistic, so I distinguish between them)

But if you want the other two, the inconsistent world building, well, some of it is concealed with the island structure, but that also demonstrates it, a lot of the world building is haphazard, added in and backfilled as things go along.

The narrative structure is somewhat related, but different bits and pieces add up to flaws. Now I could just point to the interminable length of the series, some people do object to that, but I can *mostly* accept it. However, there are problems within the story. The Time-Skip, for one. Those are difficult to handle, they can work, or not be problems, like the initial start with Chibi Luffy in a tavern with Shanks, but the one in this story? It just felt like a way to push the world along and have the characters level-up off screen. And that's related to another issue, the tendency to split the characters, spending quite a bit of time on one or another plot thread, before bringing them together. Sometimes it is even possible to forget what happened. And the repeated flashbacks...they reflect a weakness in development, as more backstory adds to the burden for people.

Don't I wish! I could use some of that money, I'd be richer than a pirate with a chest of gold.

too long
too stupid
too shitty

Luffy never broke the birdcage. He broke Mingo, which broke the birdcage, there is a difference. Personally I've never been bothered by the power "levels" in One PIece. If you figure out early on that One Piece's powerlevels are a result of a complex formula involving 4D rock paper scissors DF power/race/convictions/the roulette of plot relevance, character appeal, and the sex of said character then you're good.

Agreed on everything else though.

Too mainstream for Sup Forums

Retard critics. Read this thread.

>a lot of the world building is haphazard, added in and backfilled as things go along.
I don't feel that's the case at all, everything had its place and reason for being there. Not all is revealed because they hold an important secret that will be shown at the end. The grandness is a fantastical world, that defies normal logic. Even then there aren't inconsistencies that I could see, yes some islands are just in the background at least for now. That's the thing though, revealing too much about the island now would give too much away and spoil the the possible ending. Leaving islands a mystery leaves more to explore in other manga, like the new Ace series that is coming out.
When it comes to the time skip this was made to save time, seeing the training process would have made the manga even longer and leaving it in secret for now makes the reader more excited to see new moves like Zoro's eye. >Those are difficult to handle, they can work, or not be problems, like the initial start with Chibi Luffy in a tavern with Shanks, but the one in this story?
You actually lose me here, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

But to continue yes they do level off screen because this is an adventure. The adventure is traveling, training would make it more of a fighting manga than one of adventure.
Yes though when they do split up there is issue of forgetting some things, but that is ussually when they focus on their individual fights. Fishman island is the main problem in this. But pre time skip oda focused on luffy, which is smart since he is the one that pushes the narrative forward. Yes another issue is the flash backs, they are too long. Basically the issue I see you having is really the absolute length of the story. Oda keeps adding shit, he likes all his characters. Repeated flashbacks though is something that the anime does, manga wise not so much.

Indeed, the island-nature of the setting lets a lot slide, because a reader can accept that so many radically different fantastic islands exist(and no, it isn't the grandness at all), the same as you can accept that not everything is revealed.

It's like Star Trek, you can have Planet of Wacky Nazis, and Planet of Indians, and Planet of Roman, and Planet of Gansters, but that doesn't mean it all flows together. Especially when you want to have somebody like the Klingons as also an Interstellar power.

And yes, the time-skip had that purpose, and I identified it as such already, that's what reveals the flawed narrative structure. It was necessary to save time, and also create the kind of surprise abilities that come up to solve plot problems. It's like the opposite of Chekhov's gun...

>Basically the issue I see you having is really the absolute length of the story

No, that's really not much of my problem, mostly because I can forget about One Piece for years, then go back to it.

That said, I'm not sure I believe Luffy will ever get to Raftel, and I don't mean in the sense that he'll realize it was home all along or some alternative twist.

Haki is so common now that it's kinda irrelevent. If Haki is just reinforcing your body and strengthening attack and defence and EVERYONE can do it. At this point in the series they might as well not even bother show when people are using it. Because I'll just assume everyone is ALWAYS using it because everyone has it.
It simply makes it less special to see EVERYONE decked out in the black limbs like Luffy. It would've been cool if it was something kinda rare to SEE that shows that Luffy means business and just keep it invisible for most uses. But it feels like because they threw it out so much it doesn't feel special. And because everyone uses it so often it makes it also feel less special.

The entire problem stems from the fact that most logia users are basically invincible. This necessitates the addition of some kind of mechanic that allows the normal people and users of lesser powers to be able to plausibly go up against them and win. The whole "elemental weakness" idea was alright up to a point but things like light and swamp have no weaknesses that would be easy to figure out and use in combat.

Timeskip was a mistake

The most recent: Oda doesn't want to draw fights anymore. He keeps them to a minimum and mostly offpanels them.

It's definitely possible to sail around the world and not be considered a pirate. Noland was one such adventurer. He died only because his king was a cunt.