I just started watching Gintama but based on the first episode alone it's painfully obvious the show is attempting to...

I just started watching Gintama but based on the first episode alone it's painfully obvious the show is attempting to make some kind of commentary on how westerners and modernization destroyed Japanese culture. Why do western people like this series so much when it portrays them in so negative light, basically as antagonistic animal hybrids?

Other urls found in this thread:

yorozuyasoul.com/translations/quick_japan_2009_interview
mangahelpers.com/t/bomberdrufi/releases/43408
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It was just a dumb excuse to have modern technology in the edo period. You're putting too much thought into this.

>Oonishi: Usually in manga, characters would head in the direction of wanting to overturn a system or wanting to change the world. In Gintama, it feels more like “Let everyone find their own small happiness.” Usually, if they aren’t happy with amanto rule, why not beat up all the amanto.
>Sorachi: But how’re you supposed to kick all of them out? There’s a lot of foreigners coming to Japan right now, so isn’t this telling all the foreigners to get out? I don’t want that, but rather to accommodate and embrace each other and live together. Can’t we have that?
>Oonishi: But some people would still want to eliminate others.
>Sorachi: I don’t want that kind of “one side falls” thinking.
yorozuyasoul.com/translations/quick_japan_2009_interview

I got that impression too, but as the series goes on there are a lot of references to western shows and the allusion of the aliens to westerners ends pretty quickly, you should continue.

They wear western uniforms on occasions. It's way too detailed to be a dumb excuse.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing though, just that I'm surprised western people praise the series when at the same time get angry at smallest race and for example gender issues. Put to context it feels rather strange.

Kagura is technically an amanto too right?

If you continue watching, it becomes apparent that a lot of the bad things that happened to Gintoki in his past was because of the government, not the Amanto. If anything, Gintama is more anti-government/anti-authoritarian than anti-foreigner.

not just westerners,
the Yato are Chinese and the Harusame are Opium-traders/Triads/Chinese Pirates
it's how Edo saw foreigners at that time

she's a Yato: see above
they also have Elizabeth a Reno, not sure what he's supposed to be

The final arc was a mistake

The first 2 episodes are filler

Which has nothing to do with what the tumblrite OP complained about.

I knew it was over when sensei wasn't really dead.

Full blow serious Gintama arcs suck dicks. It was inevitable

Why should people care whether the author likes Westerners or not?

oh, fuck you guys

Gintama is pretty much Japan's own South Park.

>not Japan's Rick and Morty
>or Japan's American Dad
South Park is shit

The author can't into fighting arc for shit. Not to mention that his character design is literally ass

Guess I shouldn't expect of reddit to be capable of thematic comparison.

Except several key characters like Elizabeth and Kagura are aliens and are accepted wholly. The story isn't as anti-foreigner as you think, more a loss of identity because the world in Gintama is transitioning between clearly defined ages.

American Dad has an alien as an MC and Rick and Morty has an alcoholic MC but features aliens
both have old geezers accompanied by teenagers, even though I believe Rick and Morty is a lot closer to Gintama
yet at the same time it doesn't feature the loser-vibe so maybe Venture Bros. is a lot closer to Gintama because everyone is a loser in that one

Thank you for proving me right.

you think he's going to die?

>be cumskin on Sup Forums
>constantly post about how asian countries are for asians, african countries for africans but europe for EVERYONE?
>redpilled Japanese cartoon wants to stay uniquely Japanese
>whiteboi gets mad
?????????????
why are whites so buttblasted?

>EVERYONE
>whiteboi
>?????????????
Why do you type like a retard though?

are you really critiquing my writing.
Also i have to say that my style of writing made the sentences more interesting and dramatic than that fucking blob of shit you wrote up top OP

how about you fucking refute me faggot

>more whining about how "shit" is the final arc
Yep, just a typical Gintama thread

>baseless samefag accusations
>"how about you fucking refute" while posting something of not argumentative nature
You could """refute""" yourself out of the thread

The whole "taken over by Amanto" plot point becomes real irrelevant real fast.

The tough pill to swallow is Gintama doesn't get really really good until about 112.

>Gintama doesn't get good until 25
>Gintama doesn't get good until 50
>Gintama doesn't get good until 112
Why is it pushing further and further?

translation
mangahelpers.com/t/bomberdrufi/releases/43408

>Why do western people like this series so much when it portrays them in so negative light, basically as antagonistic animal hybrids?
Because it's fun, and occasionally very badass to boot?

Because it dares to do the blatant comparison? And because alternative history timelines are fucking rad?

I also hope you skipped ep1 and 2.

The first "year" of Gintama is quite meh, but the show starts to slowly show its true fangs at episode 25, which is that legendary ""recap episode"".

The first major arc, Benizakura, happens at ep 50, which is a HUGE turning point in the whole series. Before that, it's all just lightweight foreshadowing and random jokes. At this point, you've most certainly also formed some sort of emotional connection with the cast.

Episodes between 100-250 (or so) are easily the golden age of the show.