Best anime according to Japanese critics

We've seen NHK best anime poll which covered the japanese popular vote.
Now in celebration of 100 years of anime, shinchosha prepared a poll with 30 Japanese anime critics, each voted for what they consider the best anime of the last 100 years.
This is the result:

1- / 14 votes
Neon Genesis Evangelion(1995)

2- / 11 votes
Mobile Suit Gundam(1979)

3- / 9 votes
Space Battleship Yamato(1974)

4- / 8 votes
AKIRA(1988)

5- / 7 votes
Kumo to Tulip(1943)
Astro Boy(1963)
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica(2011)
In This Corner of the World(2016)

6- / 6 votes
Castle in the Sky(1986)
GHOST IN THE SHELL(1995)

7- / 5 votes
Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer(1984)
Grave of the Fireflies(1988)
Your Name(2016)

8 / 4 votes
Legend of the White Snake(1958)
Space Runaway Ideon(1982)
Revolutionary Girl Utena(1997)
The End of Evangelion(1997)
Spirited Away(2001)
Voices of a Distant Star(2002)

9 / 3 votes
Wanpaku Ōji no Orochi Taiji(1963)
The Wonderful World of Puss 'n Boots(1969)
Heidi, Girl of the Alps(1974)
Future Boy Conan(1978)
My Neighbor Totoro(1988)
Patlabor 2: The Movie (1993)
Mind Game(2004)
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya(2013)

So, Sup Forums do you think this is a better ranking than the NHK one?
Did you're favorite anime made it to the list?

>kankokunohannou.org/blog-entry-8285.html
>shinchosha.co.jp/geishin/

Nips have shit taste, as per usual

>no kyoanus anywhere to be seen

will they ever recover?

Its better than the last poll posted.

>1- / 14 votes
>Neon Genesis Evangelion(1995)
Nips can't into good taste.

>Utena
>no Rose of Versailles

>Evangelion
>EoE bcuz Evangelion so breakthrough and important it has to have two entries

Another disappointment brought to you by the Japanese tastes.

Kyoanicucks BTFO once again.
But muh Oscar nomination.

>3 movies by Oshii
>Patlabor 2 made the cut
Not that bad, honestly.

The only late night anime there is Madoka.
SHAFT wins again.

>14 votes
>11 votes
>Mobile Suit Gundam(1979)
>9 votes
>Space Battleship Yamato(1974)
Easy choices, safe bets.

>7 votes
>In This Corner of the World(2016)
Patricians.

>7 votes
>Puella Magi Madoka Magica(2011)
Absolute mad men.

>5 votes
>Your Name(2016)
Cancer.

>Your Name

>So, Sup Forums do you think this is a better ranking than the NHK one?

No because at least the other one had people who watch anime. "anime critics" don't want anime that isn't the latest mainstream movie hit or some anime tv series that is being shilled as the next big thing in newspapers (Madoka). The only suprise there is Mind Game since everything else is about as predicable as can be.

"Anime critics" are the animated category oscar voters of Japan.

Well, can't really do wrong with any of those anime.

wait

>Voices of a Distant Star

That's a random title for a top 10

>"anime critics"

kek

It's still considered a classic by many though.

It's the movie which launched "the next Miyazaki's" (lol) career.

>no moe shit anywhere in sight

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Heidi

Your Name is currently being shilled as the next big anime culture icon so of course these "anime critics" need to appear cultured and include his original creation on the list too.

So the Swiss created moe?

>Shaft
>1
>Kyoani
>0

Can a normal guy without history of sucking dicks at some art school enjoy the stuff from the 50s and 60s?

Did the stuff age well?

keikaku dori

>1- / 14 votes
>2- / 11 votes
>3- / 9 votes
Great taste.

Some did but these are votes of culture/importance not quality.

Fuck off 3DPD.

All good shows but what's the point of list? Everyone already knows these are classics.

>Muh Kanon
>Muh Clannad
>Muh Haruhi
>Muh K-on
>Not 1 (one) anime made it on the list

Kyoanus absolutely BTFO.

That's the single most cookie-cutter list I have ever seen in my life.

At least they aren't completely out of touch with the audience like movie critics.

>no Ningen Doubutsuen

Dropped.

Well, of course it would be cookie cutter. How else would they pick the movies then?

This list is so laughable its unreal. By what standards? Sure as hell not modern ones. Yamato having a big impact back then does not make it a good show. Its a mess in regards to writing, NGE is a mess in regards to production values and MSG is a mess in regards to pacing. This list should be labeled MOST INFLUENTIAL if anything, but sure as hell not best.

>Grave of the Fireflies(1988)
Absolutely laughable. The cheapest form of emotional manipulation you will find in the entire medium. Did they vote for this shit because its supposed to be some form of a redemption story?

>Oshii movies all over the place
Guess its confirmed that "anime critics" are absolute brainlets if they think that "I use characters as mouthpieces while telling an incredibly simplistic story that I basically recycled from some random western scifi novel" is exceptional in any form or shape.

>Voices of a Distant Star(2002)
For what exactly? The movie looks horrible and the story as well as character writing are nothing exceptional.

>Heidi, Girl of the Alps(1974)
>Future Boy Conan(1978)
>My Neighbor Totoro(1988)
Any of these flawed entries as best anime, absolutely laughable. Conan even falls apart during its second half and the writing never manages to catch up to the first halves again.

>Puella Magi Madoka Magica(2011)
>Your Name(2016)
?????????????

Honestly, this list does not rate best anime. It rates anime based on WHO MADE THEM (Oshii, Miyazaki, Shinkai) and based on how much influence they had on the industry. These people dont seem to understand that theres a gigantic difference between something being well written and directed, and something having a commercial impact.

>It rates anime based on WHO MADE THEM
That's at least half-correct of a method because the quality of these works is heavily dependent on the director.

so what best anime then

digital blackface

goddam racists

>2- / 11 votes
>3- / 9 votes
>4- / 8 votes
>AKIRA(1988)

This is some big shit taste.

It's a safe bet though. If it was about less popular but quality titles, they would probably not even get two votes same out of the reference group. They just went for the titles everyone knows.

Yamato, Gundam and Eva created generations of otaku that continued to make anime today. Their influence can't be denied.

I'm not sure Madoka created another wave of otaku, but like the 3 other big anime titles, it's beloved by both critics and consumers.

>Their influence can't be denied
Are you illiterate?

>1- / 14 votes
Come on.

I haven't watched a single anime from that list.

jesus

Influence and quality go hand in hand.
You're just assblasted because your a pleb and your favorite anime probably code gayass or something equally stupid isn't on the list.

(You)

The only two on there I would take any issue with are Voices of Distant Star and Your Name.

Sorry you have garbage taste.

>don't want anime that isn't the latest mainstream movie hit or some anime tv series that is being shilled as the next big thing in newspapers

What the fuck are you even talking about, only four of the listed anime are even from the last decade.

>Influence and quality go hand in hand.

>safe bets the poll
In all honesty, these are big names and only listed because theyre BIG. Influence doesnt mean the best but I guess critics have their own interests to protect. For example new Yamato adaption is above the old one in terms of writing, production and music but they still went with the old because it has influence. Different opinions would be harshly judged putting the critic under fire ergo its unlikely we really see what they consider the "best". They have to comfort norms and it shows
>Puella and Your name
Theyre just taking the piss here

He isn't an assblasted pleb just a contrarian retard.

>Your Name

The most visually impressive anime movie to have ever been produced isnt on there because its not "general public approved". Trash like GotF, Kimi no na wa, Voice of a Distant Star, Patlabor2 and Totoro makes the list, but Macross DYRL for some reason doesnt. They also include 4 Miyazaki movies but Whispers of the Heart if nowhere to be found. This list is a complete joke. This is a popularity poll if anything.

Those are some nice opinions and all but there literally isn't an anime in existence you couldn't say was flawed in some way if you wanted to. The general implied argument that "these things are flawed in some aspect therefore cannot be best" really isn't a good one. The choices of things to pick on is telling too. Mostly only the big titles that are commonly praised here by certain folks. Almost as if this was supposed to be bait. I mean Kumo to Tulip is a fucking grainy black and white short, Hakujaden, Puss 'n Boots and Little Prince are terrible films in most respects beyond being a historical curiosity and interesting from a production standpoint. Astro Boy's animation was getting laughed at for how bad it is at the time it was fucking made.

Miyazaki movies have a wider appeal. Whisper of the Heart is only made for preteen girls

>For example new Yamato adaption is above the old one in terms of writing, production and music but they still went with the old because it has influence

The old anime was better than the new one. You must be just talking out of your ass here.

Your name is there because it's still fresh in everyone's mind and people are still excited about it but Madoka legitimately deserves to be on the list.

Madoka Rebellion was nominated too.

>The old anime was better than the new one. You must be just talking out of your ass here.
Not him but you suffer from some mental disability that it impossible to cure. I am sorry to be the first one to tell you, but thats how it is.

He's right though. The new one is equivalent to shitty hollywood remakes of old classics. They never live up to the original.

>No Whisper of the Heart.
>No Koe no Katachi.
Come on man.

What is the most visually impressive anime to have ever been produced?

>newfags too stupid to enjoy classic

sure, i bet you watched the original 20 times in repeat before posting this bullshit

>No Doraemon or Shin Chan
>No K-on
>That low number of votes

Literally meaningless

Are you blind? You name visual and directorial masterpieces and dismiss them as curiosities.
Also source your claims that Tetsuwan Atom was getting "laughed at", it was extremely popular and its production model remains a strong influence to this day.

>Koe no katachi
>k-on

kyoanus, please

Next, you're going to tell me next that Unicorn is better than MSG.

Just because it has more pew pew and better ass shots doesn't make it better.

Again, you suffer from some mental disability. Thats all there is to say. However, its probably more likely that you simply havent even watched both of them so youre unable to do an actual comparison yourself.

Was hard enough to force myself through the original Yamato twice, I wouldnt want to do that another time.

Also, the historical context clearly influenced some of these choices, but "best work" doesn't have to mean "best work by today's standards" or "best work out of context". Innovation is just as valid of a criteria as any other. It just so happens that the works that show up here are not JUST innovative historically but are great works that hold up today, if you aren't a bottom feeding plebeian.é

I watched them both before you even knew they existed.

>A few classics, a lot of movies and Madoka

Literally everybody can do a list like that, don't need "experts" to give it credibility.

You're blinded by nostalgia.

FUCKING TRASH

>You name visual and directorial masterpieces and dismiss them as curiosities.
The films themselves are garbage as things to watch. The have interesting art styles and some experimental animation and are historical curiosities but beyond that everything about those three is pretty terrible. The writing and direction is awful in all of them. Even the animation itself in things like Hakujaden whilst being on 1s is really poor in places, the characters often look like they have no weight at all.
>Also source your claims that Tetsuwan Atom was getting "laughed at", it was extremely popular and its production model remains a strong influence to this day.
I'm not arguing with it being popular. Just read Miyazaki's book if you want to find out where those claims come from he pretty much says there in the time that Tezuka's attempts at animation were considered a joke by people in the industry and people thought he had no idea what he was doing.

Thats some very hot opinions right there, my friend.

You're blinded by contrarianism.

Aniplex bribed the critics.

>japanese """"critics""""
>1 Neon Genesis Evangelion
top kek

Madoka. Only tv anime of this decade.

>Puella Magi Madoka Magica
>In This Corner of the World
>Your Name
>Voices of a Distant Star

>Only tv anime of this decade
>Only late night anime on the list
>Still to this studied in moon universities
>Books analyzing the show are still written about it

Madoka and Evangelion are the greatest otaku achievements in the anime industry.

>Just read Miyazaki's
It's Miyazaki, of course he is biased, he hates TV animation and is not willing to admit that compromises have to be made for tighter production schedules and lower budget. Since it was the first TV anime series, obviously the critics of the time would compare it to film standards, which is silly. Tezuka also produced shorts before Atom which were not limited in that manner.

The series as a whole is inconsistent, but there are plenty of standout episodes that are worth watching. Also interesting to see how they were experimenting at every level with TV animation.

>The films themselves are garbage as things to watch
I could see the case being made for Hakujaden, maybe, if you don't care about history. To claim the others have "awful" writing and direction is idiotic. Maybe you don't understand Wanpaku Ouji because you didn't realize it's based on an old myth.

If "Your Name" is in it, then it's not a ranking worthy of being taken seriously.

Just with animation in general people thought Tezuka was a joke I mean. As in "he's just some big shot mangaka who has no idea what he is doing thinking he can do what we do". There is an anecdote in the book iirc about Tezuka going round telling people he got a rotoscope machine excitedly and then people laughing at him because they thought he probably had no idea what it was even for.

>I could see the case being made for Hakujaden, maybe, if you don't care about history. To claim the others have "awful" writing and direction is idiotic.
They aren't good as complete films at all, every other film on the list is far superior as a complete story taking all things into consideration. I would never recommend anyone watch them unless they were specifically interested in the roots of anime history, the evolution of anime production or liked interesting, unique art styles and animation.
>Maybe you don't understand Wanpaku Ouji because you didn't realize it's based on an old myth.
No I know the mythology behind it. I've read quite a bit on Japanese history and mythology entirely separately for anime. What can you say though ultimately it is all just opinions.

1- / 30 votes
Keit - Ai (This Summer...)

>EoE and Eva TV there
>Ideon TV on the list but no Ideon: Be Invoked
Why? Be Invoked was so much better than the series as well.

>anime "critics"
Is there a more pathetic profession?

1940s - 1
1950s - 1
1960s - 3
1970s - 4
1980s - 7
1990s - 5
2000s - 3
2010s - 4 (2 from within the past year)

Pretty easy to see the bias. Perhaps part of this is due to less options in the 80s/90s leading to more concentrated choices though.

Interesting that Madoka is the only TV anime on the list within the past 20 years.

And yet Tezuka ended up producing and directing some of the best independent shorts that consistently won the Oofuji award and some of the best and most innovative TV anime in the 60s.

Voted on by the very same sort of critics that would vote on a list like this one.

>>Grave of the Fireflies(1988)
>Absolutely laughable. The cheapest form of emotional manipulation you will find in the entire medium. Did they vote for this shit because its supposed to be some form of a redemption story?
Careful with that edge

He produced the first 30-min slot TV anime, and then the first full color TV anime while everyone was busy copying his first success. This is not arguable.

Then why don't we choose our best anime top 10 by Sup Forumsnons?

>a bunch of movies
Get fucked.

>critics
Just the fuck fucked.

Facts of history don't really have much to do with quality of work.

Yet Yamato is on the list. Really makes you think.

Anime critic critic.

No not really.

hentai historian

Now take a guess what the average critics age most likely is. 50+ would be my best guess.

I don't understand why people don't want a gundam remake, fixing the pacing issues would make it perfect and with a good budget to give justice to amuro and char battles.

>1- / 14 votes
Stopped reading there, nips have garbage taste