Rose of Versailles

Can we have a thread for the greatest anime of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ogw68jSGOzA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Delete this and make a pre/2000 general.

Starting a p2000 with Osamu Dezaki can be risky.

>general
>deleting threads in 2017
I just want to talk about Oscar

I just wanted them to be happy ;_;

that hoe that lived with her for a while was the better character

I refuse to believe that I'm the only one who doesn't like them as a couple.

I'm glad neither straights can have happy endings in Ikeda's mangas.

Why?

Do you have a thing for beautiful women who dress and act like men?

Rosalie was trash honestly

After such a statement you should motivate it.

Do you not?

You saw right through me user

Rosalie almost ruined RoV for me. Annoying bitch.

She was essentially a useless character until the end with that whole paper rose stuff. Her sister was a far superior/interesting character imo.

is this anime /u/?

Nope

No but the author is a founder

Read "Oniisama e" from the same author, it has strong yuri undertones.

>There's will never be a sequel with their children as Napoleon is governing France

youtube.com/watch?v=ogw68jSGOzA

>Otomate has announced there will be a screen adaptation and a game adaptation of Rose of Versailles, both titled "Shiritsu BeruBara Academy ~Versailles no Bara Re*imagination~".
Who asked for this?

Jeanne was infinitely superior, at least she had some complexity.

>Who asked for this?
Maybe it was Ikuhara

What? Would you have preferred Oscar/Fersen

Yes. ;_; If Fersen wasn't such a fucking idiot.
Oscar and André are childhood friends, I see them as siblings and nothing more. André's attraction towards Oscar just doesn't make sense for me, it's like falling for your bro. While Oscar, one day out of the blue, realizes that she returned the feelings.

Too bad Fersen preferred Louis XVI's sloppy seconds.

I hope having sex once was worth it

>André's attraction towards Oscar just doesn't make sense for me
Andre was in love with Oscar from the beginning, it wasn't like he fell in love with her over the course of the show, it merely grew stronger.

If you didn't think they belonged together after pic related, I don't understand you at all.

Rosalie was likeable because she was a pure girl that got caught in the crossfire of a conflict that was far beyond her. The fact that she shows such willpower and continues to remain pure despite losing everything makes her really appealing.
A sequel about Napoleon exists, it just hasn't been translated.

But Oscar didn't feel the same. So at least for Oscar's part it seems forced, just like the fact that they made love the night before his death. A good narrative gimmick to increase the element of tragedy even more, and the viewer is fooled into thinking that they were meant to be because of that, but there's actually no substance.
In my country RoV is extremely popular and loved, I laugh everytime someone mentions their as muh best love story.
Sorry, after almost 20 years I still haven't changed my mind.

Oscar always liked Andre. She just grew closer to him as the series went one. In the early episodes, Oscar is pretty cold towards Andre, but by the end, she's a lot more open with him and concerned for his wellbeing.

Oscar undergoes really gradual character development over the course of the series, it's just understated because Oscar is very closed off as a person.

Griffith did nothing wrong

How many years of blueballing did Andre have to suffer?

23 to be exact.

He had to deal with that alongside blindness, depression, NTR and dead parents.

Andre had the hardest life by far.

Fuck, no wonder he snapped.

At least he got to fuck his beloved waifu before dying.

Did you eat your brioche today, anons?

The more I rewatch the series and the more historical sources I read, the more I'm convinced that she did nothing wrong.

She really didn't, everything bad you've ever heard about her is anti-Royalist, anti-Catholic propaganda perpetuated by Jews, freemasons, revolutionaries, communists, and Protestants.

She did everything wrong, how can anyone think this?

Even if this is awful, I'll still probably enjoy it because it stars Oscar and co.

Unless they fuck up the characterisation of course, in which case they're asking for blood.

I think she was just too sheltered, as were all of the royals.

>was put in a position she wasn't qualified to be in against her will
>tries to do what's best for her the country despite this, going so far as to suggest that the peasants should be feed through other means if they're out of bread
>hates sleazy and corrupt people as a principle
>loving mother
>apologised for stepping on her executioner's foot by accident

Her only failing is that she was naive due to her sheltered upbringing, but that's the fault of her society rather than Antoinette herself.

The revolution was full of shit anyway.

VIVE

>revolution
honestly a failed revolution considering they ended up killing most of those first revolutionaries anyway

One thing I wish RoV had expanded on was Saint-Just's character, to be honest. Would've been a great replacement for all that rosalie shit

I loved how the anime handled Saint Juste.

>"Saint Juste, you're a murderous psychopath."
>"Hey at least, unlike Robispierre, I'm honest about it."

Do not bully Rosalie.

Dezaki himself confirmed that Oscar's feeling for Andre were genuine in his ROV review and I'm not saying this because I hate Fersen, I like Fersen alot and I'm one of those people who think that Oscar truly loved Fersen very much and I don't think her feelings are forced like other fans who Oscar/Andre fans.

I think that Dezaki wanted to make Oscar realize her feelings at the end on purpose, he wasn't trying to make it look forced or fake as you think it is, just because Oscar realized that she loved Andre at the end, doesn't mean that her feelings were forced. Oscar and Andre relationship is one of the most beautiful and deepest relationship you will likely find in an anime and don't mean romance, Andre's love for Oscar is so selfless, The songs in the soundtrack emphasize this, Their relationship has way more meaning than many of the high school harem crap you see these day.

sorry for the spelling mistakes

>tries to do what's best for her the country

Didn't she ignore the advice of her advisers?

It's beauty comes from the fact that's it's non-romantic for so long. Oscar and Andre are bound by a brotherly bond and the selfless loyalty that comes from that. A bond as pure as that is more inspiring than any romantic relationship could offer and the show could have had no romance occurring between Oscar and Andre at all, and it would've been just as satisfying.

As a child.

When she gets older, listening to advice from others is what directly leads to so much tragedy.

>A sequel about Napoleon exists, it just hasn't been translated.
Oh snap. I know what I'm reading next.

I agree 100% with you on what you said but I think that Ikeda added the romance element because their relationship is supposed to mirror ''Oscar's decision to join the revolution and and side with the commoners'', Oscar blindness to Andre's feelings at the beginning is a metaphor for Oscar's blindness to the situation of people in France, The romance in Rose of Versailles actually has meaning and is not just there for no reason.

The tragedy between Oscar and Andre relationship is their class deference, maybe if Andre wasn't a servant, then his feelings wouldn't be as strong as they were in the anime,
I don't have a problem with their relationship being romantic rather than siblings because it was well portrayed and very well develop . a relationship based on deep trust and long friendship rather than love at first sight .

Oscar isn't blind to the suffering of the people, she's blind to her inner self (her femininity, emotions etc.).

Oscar's entire character is about finding an identity to call her own. Her father robbed her of that when he raised as a man, but made no secret of the fact that she's a woman- she has two conflicting personas. She puts on the uniform thinking it will give her life direction, then tries to be more feminine after becoming envious of Antoinette and Fersen's love. She then tries her hardest to be a man again when that doesn't work out.

It's only through Andre that she's able to discover who she really is, which is neither masculine or feminine, but just Oscar. One of my favourite lines from Oscar is one where she sums up this conflict in the first episode: "It feels great when you're immersed in running, but sometimes you look down at your feet and wonder where you're heading to."

You could probably see Oscar's struggle as an allegory for France trying to decide between embracing the old order or Robespierre's populism, as well.

d-did Andre try to rape Oscar?

It was just a prank.

it's not shoujo without rape/attempted rape!

I can't believe Andre bounced back from that, He has the guts to stalk her to her new job after that too. Christ.

That was the best part since the fight in ep 1.

>mfw I reached this episode
Charlotte didn't deserve that. I have no clue how this episode got past the censors in Europe and Latin America.

>le classy romance
>'best anime ever'

the tone shift in this episode is so significant, you can really tell Dezaki took over production.

So how good is this anime?

Literally perfect.

He took over at the right time, honestly.

Nagahama handled the the comparatively light hearted first half very well (people really hate on him too much), but no one can compare to Dezaki when it comes to absolute despair- Which is exactly what the second half needed.

What's the point in opening a thread for Versailles if anons don't appreciate the best girl?

jeanne on trial was on of the greatest scenes of this show

She lost my respect when she tried to kill Rosalie. A shame, since I liked her up until that point.

10/10 antagonist though.

I like the manga better. I think the story flows more fluidly. The anime was kind of a chore for me to get to, but the manga kept me glued to the pages.

No way. The manga has a lot of humour appearing where it isn't warranted and minor pacing issues that came from including pointless historical cameos and trivia.

The only thing the manga does better is Antoinette's death. The anime flows a lot better and irons out every rough patch the manga ever had.

I really need to rewatch this on the BDs.

BARA WA BARA WA

KIMI WA
HIKARI
BOKU WA KAGE

>KIMI WA
>HIKARI
>BOKU WA KAGE

That ending is perfect for André, every word means something for him.

Why, user?

>it's not shoujo without rape/attempted rape!
The scary part is that there is a bit of truth to that statement.

Diff user
Admittedly it does feel kind of last minute. Though I can still like it and all
I guess it just felt rather desperate