Florida Sheriff

Why do Americans still have sheriffs & deputies? Are they even trained like real cops, or are they government issued rent-a-cops with job security? They look ridiculous and the whole thing is just silly.
Replace them with police officers like we have here in Canada.

It won't seem so smart after the Carrington Event.

watdat?

A better question is why so many minority sheriffs?

LEOs are usually city jurisdiction that make the arrests, then prisoners are transferred to sherrifs who are usually a county jurisdiction and oversee the jails

>oversee the jails
So why weren't cops sent in at Florida instead of deputies?

they're elected officials, so if you live in a shithole county like broward, youre going to have le 56% for a sheriff

they have the same training, only difference is the size of jurisdiction + overseeing of jails, they can still make arrests, traffic stops, etc

So are they trained to neutralize an active shooter?
Why does jurisdiction size matter? Smaller size means fewer cops, and if the cops have to oversee the jails then.... cops oversee the jails. The need for this special class of cowboys is so strange. They may as well use horses.

>So are they trained to neutralize an active shooter?
im not in law enforcement so i dont know how cops or sheriffs are trained, its the same academies/classes though. id *hope* they would be trained for active shooters. i do know SWATs are trained for that situation though.

jurisdiction size is like the difference between a mayor and a governor. each city has a police force, but the county has a sheriff's office. the sheriff's office ranks higher than the local cops, and is an elected office. local pd are usually hired/appointed as chief of police without elections

listen up leaf, here's how things work in freedomland

There are 4 levels of law enforcement: Federal, State, County, and City
Federal is responsible for interstate laws and things that are simply too big or important to be handled differently by each state
States have the sovereignty to set up most laws in their land as they see fit, so long as they follow the US constitution as well as their state's constitution. They can set as dumb or as great laws as they want, but they only apply within the state's boundaries
Counties, which are large areas of land within a state, must have several positions either elected or appointed. eg. tax assessor, auditor, SHERIFF, etc. The sheriff is an elected official and is responsible for enforcing laws across the entire county, as well as running COUNTY JAILS and usually is responsible for courthouse security too. Basically if a county wants to exist, there WILL be a sheriff. The sheriff and their deputies provide law enforcement to the entire county
Cities can form within the county and decide they no longer want the sheriff to be responsible for enforcing laws within their borders, so long as they form a municipal police department and hire police officers to patrol it. Alternatively, cities can say nah we ain't forming our own police department, and contract with the sheriff's department to have deputies provide police services for that city.

Deputies ARE police officers, they just have different primary functions because counties aren't just empty lands with a few cities in between anymore

>here's how things work in freedomland
Things DON'T work down there. Your "cops" are too busy lassoing cattle in your farm counties to get training, which they don't even need because they're elected as cops. That's why they have no idea how to handle crises like Florida.

the sheriff is elected, not the deputies.

i really tried to be civil but you just derailed this into another leaf poster thread. goodbye

you are exceptionally stupid, even for a leaf.

That's what Yanks are good at, running away under heat.

I'm going to chuckle when chang finally buys the last piece of canadian property and you have nowhere left to live

So some shithole county can elect any Tyrone D'indoo and basically let the niggers fo whatever?

What a completely fucked system.

Their entire team of Broward farm county sheriff's deputies and marshals couldn't even stop one little angry kid throwing a hissy fit.

That's because they were not supposed to.

Which made their job even easier.You see, they had no training and no ability to stop the kid. They set up this scheme to make it look like they intentionally let him slip by, like they wanted him to avoid capture. The public thinks that's a crazy conspiracy and forgets that the marshals suck..

I'll explain it to you as best I can leaf since you seem to actually want to know unlike these brainlets who don't understand anything. America is corrupt to the core. Our armed forces are a welfare program. Our government bureaucracy is out of control. The police state is real. We don't need 5 police jurisdictions per small town but we have them. The newest best cars in my area are cop cars. Even the shit libs are rubbed raw by it. Sheriff's don't do shit even local cops are shit in my experience only state cops do anything at all. PS what ever happened to mounties? I miss mounties or at least the idea of them.

Incompetence or malice doesn't really matter in the end we're fugged

>When your IQ is sub human
Never leaf post.

Depends on the state. Most places Sheriff's are political offices that do shit work like transporting prisoners between jail and court and doing event traffic control. Some states, South Carolina off the top of my head, they are actual police on the street.

>jurisdictions
>how do they work?
i once knew a retard smarter than you