What has changed in Anime these last five years

I hear high school anime is less common, and now its going to be about young adults in their proffesions?

digibrony

i punched forneverworld teeth out, bitch

Due to plummeting birthrates, there's only like 4 or 5 highschoolers left in all of Japan.

Which shirobako would you fuck?

Anime about cute girls doing cute work is unironically bad.

I want to make Ema a single mother.

You've heard wrong. I count 19 shows featuring high schoolers as protagonists or high school settings. I'm not even counting isekai shows in this, but at least two more of those feature high schoolers turned whatever in the new worlds. There are also a few more I didn't know how to qualify as I haven't seen them.

Granted, there are at least 2 titles this summer that match what you're talking about (New Game, Sakura Quest), but it isn't a significant change over previous years.

how likely is the prediction then.

in terms of manga, there is always going to be more high school shit, no?

Children of Men anime when?

The target audience is always a consideration, and high school settings are easy to rope in a huge majority of the young crowd. It isn't a coincidence that certain shows featuring older characters do better in the west than in Japan. We give less a fuck about the Japanese high school setting because it isn't a source of familiarity or nostalgia. Japanese college settings or workplace settings or settings outside Japan (fantasy, foreign, space, etc) all appeal more often to foreign audiences because they have a more universal appeal.

Japan is just going to keep fucking that high school chicken, though. Not much we can do about it. Children's shows are almost always elementary school settings and some middle school, so none of this is surprising, really.

Why would you expect a change? What shows with adult casts were good? Shirobako was a trash show that didnt even do much different than other SoL entries. Every time I read someone claim that this is some important piece of work I wonder what these people imagined the animation business to be like. The only people who think that the show is groundbreaking or inspirational are the ones who clearly have never even read a single article on the job of an animator or others who are involved in the business.

New Game is a show that basically is like a high school SoL, but instead of having assignments for your English class, they design 3D models of lolis. I really dont get why anyone would consider this to be any different from your average high school SoL since its essentially a comparable setting. Its still shitty city life, but instead of sitting at the library they sit in a cubicle.

The industry wont change unless the stuff that is selling right now stops to sell. However, since high school stuff has been popular in anime and manga for so many decades now, I dont see why it would ever change. Hell, last years most successful movies all are about kids, 2 of them about high schoolers. So I'd say that the prediction is bullshit.

There is more idolshit than ever.

Diesel

More idols, much more isekai, more cgdct, not much more iyashikei, not much more magic school harem.

I just feel bad for the iyashikei

Shizuka

>What shows with adult casts were good?

Ah Megami-sama (college)
Ai Yori Aoshi (college)
Any "of the Stars" series (debatable on "adult cast")
Baccano! (adults, sort of in some cases)
Beck (mostly young adults)
Berserk (old series, not the new one)
Black Jack (adult)
Chobits (college)
Cowboy Bebop (adults, except Ed)
Eden of the East (college)
Hand Maid May (college)
Honey & Clover (college)
GITS (all of it)
Millennium Actress (adults)
Monster (adults)
Osomatsu-san (manchildren, but still adults)
Planetes (adults)
Psycho-Pass (adults)
Read or Die (adults)
Samurai Champloo (2 out of 3)
Seirei no Moribito (1 kid, every one else adult)
Servant x Service (adults)
Shingeki no Bahamut (mostly adults)
Shirobako (Fuck your face)
Space Dandy (adults, and robots, and cats)
Spice & Wolf (adults and mystical Holos)
Vampire Hunter D (mostly adults)
Welcome to the NHK (mostly adults)
Witch Hunter Robin (everybody but Robin herself is an adult)
Zipang (adults)

I tried not to include series that had a heavy mix of adults and high schoolers, like most mecha shows do (Eva, Rahxephon, Gundams) or things like Fate/Zero, Paranoia Agent, and WORKING! where the main cast is all over the place, and I am sure I forgot quite a few, but there are quite a bit of adult cast themed good anime.

However, while I was compiling this list I did notice a trend: there haven't been a lot of good adult themed shows in the last six or seven years. Most of these are older than that. Indeed, since Shirobako aired, there have actually been more high school themed shows than ever, lots more isekai (obviously), and very little adult casting, even mixed castings have disappeared.

What about Sakura Quest? I think it is a good show too.

Sakura Quest is boring as shit.

>Witch Hunter Robin
This was awful though. Pointless characters, uninspired direction.

S2 never