Was I supposed to sympathize with him? No matter how fucked things get...

Was I supposed to sympathize with him? No matter how fucked things get, there's no way I can believe that one would be willing to kill their entire clan. He could have killed the dissenters and found a way to relocate the docile members. At the very least he could have spared his own mother. Not only that, but his character showed very minimal signs of psychological distress following this massacre. Did he even like his own kind?

Other urls found in this thread:

naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Uchiha_Clan_Downfall
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Except that's not the order he was given by Danzo and even if he tried it, he'd be in deep shit with Tobi who also wanted to kill the Uchiha and could only bare to agree to leave Sasuke alive. He had two parties to appease in order to maintain peace within the village and keep his brother alive

I don't get why he gets praised either.
So he decides to betray his family and clan to suck Third's cock. Not only that, he also decides to massacre everyone.

He lets his little brother stay alive BUT he puts him through a 72 hour non-stop torture. His brother gets fucked up for life.

His brother slowly starts to recover from the shit he has been through, makes some friends and finally doesn't think about massacre and revenge all the time. Even manages to resist curse put by a snake pedophile on him.
Then Shitachi appears out of nowhere and puts him through another 72 hour torture and fucks him up yet again. His little brother has his mind broken, leaves his life behind and gives his ass to snake pedophile just to get stronger to get revenge so Shitachi doesn't torture him again.

Shitachi then dies of AIDS and his stockholm syndrome brother is fucked up yet again, his whole life ruined.

I still don't get why he gets so much praise and gets called a hero. If I was Sasuke, I would shit on everyone too.

>Tobi wanted to kill Uchiha

What? Why? Was this in some filler episode?

And yeah, of course that's not the order he was given, that's the point. The order was fucking ludicrous. If he didn't want to oppose Danzo and side with Uchiha (which at that point, I would have) he could at least have spared those closest to him and killed the rest. It just seemed unbelievable. It's not even like he was that close to those in the village. He was closer to people in his clan.

>leaving the bloodline alive

So they can fucking take revenge later?

I mean shit look at sasuke, and that was just one motherfucker.

That's looking at it from an outsider's perspective. From the perspective of someone who had friends and family in the Uchiha clan it doesn't make sense.

Now had Itachi been shunned and denigrated by his clan to an extreme degree that caused him to feel very little for them, it'd be different. It'd also make more sense if we saw him spend his fondest moments with non-Uchiha's (to fit the "for the betterment of the village" concept). But no. Most the people he spent time with were anbu and Uchihas. It doesn't make sense.

He had a choice between his whole clan dying if he didn't act or being allowed to save his brother if he did it himself. Konoha needed the Uchiha to submit fully to prevent (delay) the 4th ninja war and they were never going to do that. Killing some of them would only create more dissonance.

I'm no expert on Naruto, but I've watched some and read some.
And with my shitty knowledge, I can come to the conclusion that the Uchiha are VERY dangerous and have a thing for destroying anything and everything, because beneath the layer of "normal", there are genes of hatred waiting to be activated.
Now, Itachi was THE cuck here in this situation. For one, he betrayed his people, a cuck thing to do. Secondly, out of all people, he left his little brother alive, who grew to be a killing machine full of hatred that can't be reasoned with.
Tbqh, he should've killed everyone, his brother included, and then killed himself by tearing his guts out.

It's not like the ANBU were his friends. He was incredibly quiet and responsible for brutal missions without room for questions of morality. He was a tool of the Uchiha & Konoha more than he was a functional member of either group.

He and Kisame were actually pretty similar.

>(which at that point, I would have)
Okay Hitler.

Submit? With that stupid ass plan there'd be no one left to submit.

So they basically told him that either way everyone was going to die? Itachi is a bitch. What he should have done was immediately NOPE the fuck out and run back to the Uchihas and give them an ultimatum: Come with me and lets be rogue ninja and go fuck off in the Land of Rain or stay and get BTFO. But he willingly wiped his own people out without a fight. If Jiraiya, Minato, Naruto or any of the Hokage were given that "deal" they would have fought to the death. It would have been more honorable to go out like this

Obito was following a then deceased Madara's orders. When the Uchiha wouldn't leave Konoha with Madara, Madara felt betrayed. When he realized the political situation, he was more than happy to help facilitate that revenge.

If Itachi opposed Danzo and stood with the Uchiha, the 4th Ninja was inevitable against a Konoha that was weakened by infighting. Itachi was, above all, against the bloodshed of ninja war.

See Why do you think Konoha wanted them dead? For shits and giggles and muh corruption? If the Uchiha fought, every. single. villager. was dead + more because there'd be another great ninja war (which Madara got anyway).

A great deal of flashbacks show him interacting with family and people specifically in the Uchiha section of the village, and Shisui was his best friend. I always saw him as a functional Uchiha despite his ability to compartmentalize it his sense of duty. In contrast, his dealings with non-Uchiha always seemed so begrudgingly forced and I never got the feeling that he developed any bonds with any non Uchiha. For this reason, it seems more realistic to me for Itachi to have told Danzo and co. to fuck off and do what he could to save his clan instead of taking a crack epidemic tier plea bargain.

>If the Uchiha fought, every. single. villager. was dead + more

The third, Danzo, Kakashi, the Anbu, Yamato, Jiraiya (if the conflict lasted any more than a week he'd hear about it and immediately return) versus Itachi and....uh.....hmm....who again?

They wanted the whole clan dead over a few vocal Uchiha when they had the resources and power to carry out an Uchiha cleansing through less ridiculous means. Now the thing about Obito wanting to exact revenge makes a bit more sense in regard to pressing Itachi to make a decision. But even then, the most intelligent ninja in the village surely could have saved the Uchiha that he knew didn't want war. Remember, if the clan betrayed Madara for a semblance of peace, imagine who would betray Itachi's dad for the promise of continued prosperity? Come on.

I always thought Itachi was a Gary Stu with a nonexistent personality. The only thing that was cool about him was his gimmick of being super proficient at genjutsu which is an idea that really appealed to me. To be fair I dropped the series and never finished it. I have no idea if they fleshed Itachi out and made him more human and three dimensional.

BUT HE'S COOL
IT'S OK IF YOU'RE COOL AND STRONG

In preparation for the coup, the Uchiha started inserting its member within Konoha's command structure to act as spies: Itachi Uchiha was placed in the Anbu, the direct arm of the Hokage, however, Itachi did not agree with the Uchiha's plans; believing the coup would only escalate into another Shinobi World War. As such, he turned double-agent, providing Konoha with information on the Uchiha's plans.[3] The Third Hokage, who did not agree with the treatment of the Uchiha following the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox's Attack, tried to find a peaceful resolution with the clan.[2] Danzō Shimura, however, did not believe negotiations would solve anything and felt eliminating all the Uchiha would cause the least bloodshed.

From naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Uchiha_Clan_Downfall

>Kill the Uchiha in battle
>Start next Shinobi world war

He's later revealed to be the ninja world's Jesus so yeah, that's how much of a developement he got.

More like Ninja John the Baptist
The title of Ninja Jesus is reserved solely for the Coolest Guy's Number 1 Fanboy.

I know of the revelation that he was a good boy and he dindu nuffin, that's one of the things that made him hard to like. The very Gary Stuness that exudes from his every orifice. My friend also told me that later he gets revived later and does even more Gary Stu keikaku doori bullshit. From what I remember Itachi's only quirk was flicking Sasuke on the forehead, that's pretty much it. The rest of his character is about how he's perfect in every way and an angel with a 16 inch dick or something. He would have probably been a better character if he was just some half-insane asshole, and that's saying a lot.

I liked him more when he was just a villain whose main purpose was to make that shitty guy Sasuke look like a complete tool.

Before and after the revelation he's pretty much the same character, but the author gives you enough details to percieve him differently.

Before he looked like the ruthless killer driven by ambition. After the flashback you can see he was just the academic, unemotional type: he only knew how to improve himself and the clan constantly reminding him about his potential was a burden to him. Deep inside he felt alienated from his peers because of his talent and that's also why he could detatch himself enough from the situation when it came the time to oughtweight what was best for Konoha.
The whole purpose of not telling Sasuke the truth was so he could be motivated by hatred to improve himself to the limit, which is exactly what he wanted to help him to achieve when he was little, but couldn't.
I think this fact alone makes him more complex than a Gary Stu. Anyway, at the core of his character was a deeply rooted emotional handicap so I can see why that seems like a boring trope to you.

He was the true Hokage.

That's actually fair enough. I've watched the show long time ago and I can't exactly remember all the specifics. I think I'm just think I really dislike the "keikaku doori thinks ahead 9999 gorillion moves ahead type of character in fiction". Their plans always rely on vague notions and ignore thousands of important incalculable variables but everything always turns out peechy for them because the plot demands it. Itachi is not the worst offender when it comes to this trope, but he does embody it.

The bad guy was kind of a good guy all along thing is still gary stuey.

>The whole purpose of not telling Sasuke the truth was so he could be motivated by hatred to improve himself to the limit, which is exactly what he wanted to help him to achieve when he was little
I don't get how itachi didn't know this would back fire spectacularly.

I don't feel like arguing with you but you're very wrong. He only really did that you sauske.

In fact he couldn't plan around obito at all and his back up plan for saving Sauske failed

Look the point of it was too make sauske strong enough to survive at all cost.

Sauske was basically the last living Uchiha and would have a huge target on his back by people like danzo and orochimaru

I guess it is pointless for me to talk about it because I've dropped the series. I think I dropped the show around the time Danzo was killed. However, the gamble that Sasuke was actually gonna survive long enough to fight Itachi was quite substantial. He was in mortal danger many times due to his hateful compulsions. Not to mention the permanent psychological damage he could've sustained. Chalking it up to Itachi having faith in his brother would be silly. You've actually watched the series to it's completion doe (I assume) so I'm not gonna argue any further.

Why exactly did this retard decide to torture his brother TWICE if he wanted him to have a normal life like a good older brother

Itachi was a fucking hero of Konoha and I will hear no ill words spoken against him.

Because he's super edgy that's why

Kisame was much more likeable, though.

Konoha would not have survived had Itachi decided to side with the Uchiha. His dad also supposedly had the mangekyou sharingan, too.

Jiraiya, Minato and the 3rd are more than enough to take care of the Uchihas.

such Darkness

He died from a heart condition, I imagine he couldn't carry the burden forever that's part of the reason why he chose to die by Sasukes hand. To make his brother the hero to everyone that didnt know what was going on. The biggest mistake was the way he pushed Sasuke so much to only hate him when he was just a kid ignorant to the way the military world worked.