Thoughts on YKK? Why hasn't there been a full Anime yet? The Laserdisc OVAs are nice & all...

Thoughts on YKK? Why hasn't there been a full Anime yet? The Laserdisc OVAs are nice & all, but I wanted something more substantial.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9BHWBxKeqY0
youtube.com/watch?v=dLe1q_VdF1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=en6YIcNjb3Q
hatsuseno.blog.fc2.com/
hatsuseno.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-343.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Go ask the producers or directors if want an answer.

I tried & they blocked me from their twitters.

>Thoughts on YKK
suffers too heavily from its very short format, only people who think of it as exceptional are vivid fans of the manga whose opinion shouldnt really matter

>Why hasn't there been a full Anime yet
its a niche genre and an even more niche title that requires traditionally drawn backgrounds to properly sell its atmosphere and aesthetic. now take a guess whats expensive nowadays and why it might not be financially feasible/profitable to turn this into a 1-2 cour show.

I've never read the manga and I thought it was exceptional. How does it feel to be objectively wrong?

>I've never read the manga
fuck you

>I've never read the manga and I thought it was exceptional
I am not the right person help you with your mental disability, user. So please talk to a psychiatrist.

>triggered

>no English manga release

what a shame

It's really good, in particular the first one for its art. Second is no slouch. "Manga is better" nerds don't really know what they're talking about.

I think it was only ever intended as OVAs as a means to sell the manga.
A lot of stuff just got OVAs for that reason.

>Laserdisc
If it's really been that long, then it's never getting an anime.

Honestly fuck off, you can't just make a YKK thread like that and be so blatantly ignorant.

Isn't LOGH getting something new?

You will end up with more questions than answers, user. Its a beautiful story but damn, I get triggered remembering so many unanswered plots.

But LOGH has a bigger target audience.

LOGH has gotten other audiovisual media in the interim. I know the Japanese held onto the LD format longer than most, but we're still talking at least a decade without any new material.

you better hope it never gets an anime. great manga should never get anime.

Reading it right now, trying not to pay attention to how shitty the scans are, but seriously it's just inhumane.

First OVA was a fucking masterpiece, don't remember if I actually watched the second one or if it just dropped the ball and wasn't memorable.

>trying not to pay attention to how shitty the scans are
But the scans are only noticeably horrible for the last three volumes or so? Are you nearly finished?

I'm reading raws of course. It's not crap crap, but you can barely see the little dudes at times. The only volume that's outright terrible is the 11th one I think.

Manga is the GOAT SoL.

I don't remember the OVA very well.

I was introduced to YKK a few years ago when I was working in Kanagawa and found out that my office building made a cameo appearance in the manga and anime. I read/watched it and made a pilgrimage to some other locations featured in YKK. Those were good times.

Honestly, if I were in your position I would have just purchased the physical manga.

I yearn for the day of an official english release of YKK. I would buy it without hesitation.

The aesthetic of the first one is so unbelievably good at capturing the manga's tone I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more popular considering today's kids love what it's going for in other types of popular media. The fact that it was made by an studio that *got* what made YKK great, Gontiti worked on the music and it had involvement from Ashinano himself should be enough to know that OVA was as good as it gets.

The second row of OVAs isn't as good artwise but I feel does a great job on capturing the more "human" side of YKK, the interactions with Kokone are sweet, Alpha's loss of her cafe is heartfelt and the way she goes on a trip to gather some money and to find herself just to decide to come back in the end is an arc that was very well translated if not a little rushed, but that's to be expected with less than an hour of runtime.

I would expect a series anytime soon because YKK is a niche series in a niche genre, and of course I don't even know if I would want one because I don't think there's many studios that could make it justice without making it at a loss. Also come the fuck on OP read the manga, it's incredibly good.

They are pretty seemless, they feel like a short movie rather than 2 OVAs.

It's funny to me that the more recent OVA got a much simpler and more traditional (but still great) soundtrack than the original.

youtube.com/watch?v=9BHWBxKeqY0

The two OSTs together perfectly capture both the country comfort and quirky sci fi aspects of the series. It's brilliant.

It's pretty fitting, if you think about it, although both are pretty uplifting the first one that focuses on the world and Alpha it's a little more focused on the visual aspect, and the one about the characters and the journey is more charming and colorful, pretty neat.

You can try Aria which basically have the same theme tough without the "passage of time" aspect.

I see you are also a gentleman of good taste!

very comfy

It's a weirdly very comfy post apocalyptic world where the world continue to crumble as we enjoy the comfort of alpha cafe.

YKK is better though. It feels more genuine and less like pumping a firehouse full of happy fluid down your throat.

I'm jealous. Do you have any location pilgrimage photos?

Amanchu! is good as well. I just finished the anime, and it was really enjoyable and chill. It even has a Gontiti soundtrack.

One of these days I'll pull the trigger on the raws..

It's slower and a bit more passive as Alpha observe the world.
While aria is more active as the cast enjoy the world.

Which raws are those?

The manga. It's out of print, but used copies of the 14-volume tankobon edition and the 10-volume shinsoban are out there in good condition.
The whole series can be had for about $80 incl. shipping.

gotta buy the raws one day

So if you were giving funding to produce a YKK anime, how would you do it, how many episodes would you have, what studio etc.

I think it would be perfect if it was adapted as a series of variable length shorts for each chapter. 140 episodes, each no longer than 7 minutes. I think either Artland or Silver Link could do a great job of adapting it and getting the background and style just right.

I've got some volumes of YKK manga around 2006, but it was a time when new edition was replacing the old one and so I didn't manage to find all volumes. New edition has different number of volumes and so does not translate directly into missing volumes for the old one. Feels bad.

Also the episodes would be aired weekly over a few years, that would be the perfect pace for a YKK anime.

As much as I love the original soundtrack the anime had, it reminds me too much of Aria, would prefer if Michiru Oshima did something similar to SnW for it:

youtube.com/watch?v=dLe1q_VdF1Y

youtube.com/watch?v=en6YIcNjb3Q

It's unadaptable. Just look at the OVAs. They're only good for screenshots.

YKK adaptation is when you drive back to your neighborhood struck by the hurricane, set up a bbq on a hill and have a cold one with some local old folks while watching the moonlight reflect off the floodwater surrounding and permeating the ruins.

that sounds very specific user

So do you want to meet up in Houston or Miami?

>How does it feel to be objectively wrong?
Fuck right off.

Am I the only one who think YKK is the best thing what ever come out from Japan, but find Aria utterly boring and overhyped?

>a firehose full of happy fluid down your throat
I don't remember this from Aria.

Aria is very different, even if people compare the two often for some reason.
It's not "look at the things", but rather it's "look at these things the way Akari sees them". If you can't enjoy Akari as a character, if you can't see things her way, then Aria will not work for you.

Not actually anywhere near hurricane alley, but the pictures on the news do invite the comparison.

One of the strongest things about YKK, to me, is that in spite of all the damage and the loss, people take it on the chin and carry on. No self-pity for the loss, no self-satisfaction for having survived, just living on in the present. The flashback with the motorcycle ride really drove that point home.

My favourite mango desu. Which is ironic because I never finished it. From chapter ~100 onwards the scans were terrible.
>will never find it for sale in my country

I like Aria, but it's not the same as YKK. Aria is more of a CGDCT show with some iyashikei, whereas YKK is iyashikei with some cute girls but is not a CGDCT show. Honestly though I don't really like the setting that much in Aria, I find it difficult to find a busy city comfy, that's why I like YKK so much more, the post apocalyptic setting with focus on humanity dying out and nature taking back over the planet gives it a really peaceful feeling which I didn't find so much in Aria, it did have it's moments, but it wasn't the same as YKK. Personally I prefer Non Non Biyori to Aria.

>You will never live to see the J.C. Staff adaptation of YKK

Yes.

>Am I the only one who think YKK is the best thing what ever come out from Japan
I seriously hope youre not referring to the OVAs with this. If its your favourite manga, fine, although its still a bit of a stretch to call the best piece of fiction Japanese people have ever created.

We may not have gotten YKK animated, but at least we're getting pic related which is pretty much the next best thing around.

Fucking kill yourself

Wait, seriously? How did I miss this?

>White Fox

Fucking yes

I've got this bookmarked to read, should I go ahead and start it or wait for the anime?

What is it like?

Agreed with Artland or Silver Link, but I'd make it a movie trilogy. Something like the Tamayura Graduation movies, with the same slow and comfy pace.
I guess you could compress it all into one long (Disappearance long) movie, but better split it up.

This seems like it's going to fly under the radar. It looks great though.

>movie trilogy
>rushed pacing
No thank

Never a bad idea to read it. Doubt they'll adapt every single chapter, and there's so many good ones they might potentially leave out.

It's a post-apocalyptic roadtrip/exploration story with cute girls and some casual existentialist philosophizing. Feels a lot like YKK, but with a much more depressing world and some light moe elements (not much comedy, though).

>post-apocalyptic roadtrip/exploration story
>some casual existentialist philosophizing
Sounds more like Kino to me.

If YKK is comfy post apocalyptic world,
This one is about two girl who tries to make post apocalyptic world comfy.

It's a bit like Kino too, but Kino is dry as fuck and much more explicitly "about" philosophy compared to SSR. It's really funny how they're both airing on the same day, though.

I've been reading Aria a little, still in the first volume and so far I can say that it's pretty good but I don't understand why people compare YKK and Aria so much. Ashinano focuses so much in *moments* that it feels his art and the manga itself was built around them, ie. when Alpha dances when drunk, when she swims with Mai, when she get struck by lighting etc. it's tiny fractions of Alpha's life portrayed in such a beautiful and meaningful way to the character that you can only watch and feel in awe.

Aria instead feels more focused, it's not about one character, it's about a couple of characters in an specific setting, you could move Alpha to Mars and the pacing would be as perfect, but you couldn't move Akari and the such to earth and have the same story. It's reliance on setting it's not a bad thing, but it detracts from the characters (the fact that we have to focus in more than one doesn't help either), which is a completely valid way of writing, but as someone that loves YKK it really doesn't do a lot like YKK, that's why I feel a lot of people don't like it as much, they don't go in as open-minded because it's a very general thought in Sup Forums to claim is as much of a iyashikei as YKK, which it is, but I feel we as a board underestimate the extent of what the genre means. Personally I enjoy it for what it is, but still prefer YKK more, although I can respect anyone that does the opposite, they are both great.

>post-apocalyptic double feature
What a time to be alive

I think J.C. Staff could do it more or less with the Flying Witch team.

If I could pick and choose people for it I'd also get them to hire Yoshida Reiko for the series composition and script, and get Studio Pablo doing the background art.

Which scans for it danke-empire or Nekyou?

Who's your seiyuu pick for Alpha? I think Aoi Yuuki could nail it.

I'd keep it as Shiina Hekiru like in the original OVA's, she actually sounds very much how I imagine Alpha to sound myself when reading the manga.

Mushishi director with Artland.
NNB director with SL.
Flying Witch director with JC.

Any one of those three I'd be incredibly satisfied with.

danke-empire. It's the officially licensed two volumes that includes some chapters that the scanlated magazine version (nekyou) completely skipped. Past vol 2 you're gonna have to go with nekyou unless you wanna wait til the licensed vol 3 comes out in november (and v4 in february). Nekyou goes up to chapter 28 (though they name it ch25), which is halfway through vol 4.

these were my favourite chapters

>only people who think of it as exceptional are vivid fans of the manga whose opinion shouldnt really matter
What's with this Sup Forumstard attitude?

What is it youre even talking about?

>but we're still talking at least a decade without any new material.

The YKK LDs were released almost 19 years ago.

>Someone born the day OP's pic was produced is almost considered old on Sup Forums

>One of the strongest things about YKK, to me, is that in spite of all the damage and the loss, people take it on the chin and carry on. No self-pity for the loss, no self-satisfaction for having survived, just living on in the present. The flashback with the motorcycle ride really drove that point home.
Yeah that's kind of the main point, and what I like most about it.

So, what's this series' premise?

I find the whole story a bit weird. If we go by the flashback, there weren't any robots back then. In fact, sensei's research helped to create them. But there doesn't seem to be the kind of technology available, not back then, and clearly not now. So how did Alpha and the others got made?

I think it's about a girl traveling around on a talking motorcycle

If you can read moon, this guy has you covered for all your YKK speculah and deepest lore needs:
hatsuseno.blog.fc2.com/
Specifically, this article series:
hatsuseno.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-343.html

Summing it up, the story bears evidence to a development program that culminated in the development of the robots we see in the story.
Basically, A1 through A5 were preliminary projects, each meant to to objectively capture the input of one of the senses in a reproducible format. Relics can be seen throughout.
A6 was the project where they tied it all into a robot, whose body was made of the funky water god fungus we see later on. Misago is presumably an A6.
A7 was the project where they took the functioning robot body and gave it a proper civilized mind. Alpha and co are (explicitly) A7.

It's hard to say, just read it, you won't be disappointed.
But basically, robot girl chills in her cafe with friends while the end of the world is slowly happening and everyone is kind of okay with it because why not.

It's just a SoL about a robot running a cafe in a remote region of Japan after a disaster wiped out large chunks of humanity and caused sea levels to rise destroying many large population centres leaving people to pick up the pieces and go back to a more simple way of life.

Underneath it's more about accepting change coming to terms with mortality and getting the most out of life and it's many experiences. Which becomes all the more poignant when it's done using a character that herself doesn't age or physically change like most of the others around her.

Thats some serious dedication. Too bad my moon is shit.

This guy's articles are the thing that made me move from plain Anki droning to mining vocabulary from reading compelling content.

R.E.M.?

Sounds bittersweet.

>R.E.M.
REM's song is at the point where the world is right in the middle of going to shit and the guy swears off giving a shit about what happens next. But you know he's going to see a lot more shit before he finally settles down or dies.

YKK takes place after all of the dust had settled. The world had been hit pretty hard, with whole cities now underwater, but the survivors have already settled down, living a new and quiet life among the ruins that people don't seem to bother to rebuild or clear away. People don't make humanoid robots anymore, but they have enough of their shit together to keep motor vehicles running and import coffee into Japan.

Less of a fast-paced rock song and more of a mellow Latin American guitar instrumental.

It is bittersweet, the story overall has a very melancholic feeling to it.

The true tragedy of YKK

>Sounds bittersweet.

It is. A great deal of time passes in between some chapters and humans may no longer exist by the time the story ends.

Really need a drawfag to update this and put in Renge-chon, Makoto and Chinatsu.

*Ren-chon

Alpha is quite literally a miracle of the universe.