When did the overabundance of friendship speeches and power-ups in Shounen anime and manga start...

When did the overabundance of friendship speeches and power-ups in Shounen anime and manga start? Older series such as Dragon Ball, Yy Yu and Kenshin rarely, if ever, had scenes where a character beats a stronger character after thinking about his friends and made a whole speech about it. Did this start with One Piece? It's the earliest example I can think of, even early Naruto was fairly tame when it came to this subject.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wu1S6IAM5V0
youtube.com/watch?v=2uTuncnLrA0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Friendship/brotherhood was a huge theme in Saint Seiya and maybe that's what triggered it. However it was never done to the extent that shows like fairy tail do it

Wait what would be the One Piece example? Arlong? Luffy was as strong if not stronger for the whole fight and beat him with a straight up move. But I guess One Piece does have speeches, even if they aren't treated like powerups.

I think it comes from super robot shows more than shonen manga.

"Nakama" is an old theme in shounen or japanese youth in general.

>selecting One Piece as an example of all things

If you want to bring up the "big 3" Naruto and most especially Bleach were far worse with this

No they weren't

>had scenes where a character beats a stronger character after thinking about his friends and made a whole speech about it.

Not a good example. There is only 2 fights in 850 chapters, vs Arlong when Nami was the hostage, vs Lucci when Robin was hostage, when Luffy makes anything you can call a "speech" about nakama. Almost all the time he talks about kicking your ass and becoming Pirate King, nothing nakama about that. Vs Magellan when Ace was hostage might count, but Luffy never beat Magellan who was clearly much stronger.

Saint Seiya is the earliest i can think of, at least that had it as a recurring thing rather than a once off

Luffy vs Lucci is the only "nakama power up" in One Piece.

Fairy tail...that's all

In OP the clearest example is Lucci fight, but that one was fairly late. We have also Crocodile and Mr. 4 pair in Alabasta (both Luffy and Usopp were mortally wounded, but still stood up because "muh friends").

I don't remember friendship giving a power up in Naruto (I dropped it at the beginning of the war though); speeches were there obviously, but no more than in OP. Bleach I think had the least amount of speeches like this and the only nakama power up was Grimjoww fight, and it actually made more sense in-universe than usually. I might be forgetting some stuff though.

Anyway I think the more interesting question than is whether OP started "everybody and they're grandmother has a sad backstory" thing. Even HxH is quite tame with that, using flashbacks scarcely.

One Piece itself had pretty tame flashbacks in East Blue too.

Sanji started a shift towards more expansive ones, but it was really the Nami flashback that was so influential it turned traumatic backstories with dead parental figures into a requirement.

So I take it you haven't read Naruto or Bleach

I don't even know how you can think Bleach was a notorious example of this with what Ichigo does.

Fist of the North Star had them but usually it was a dying speech as well

As a trope, it's always been a thing with WSJ since their tagline is Friendship, Effort, Victory

>not believing in the heart of the cards

One Piece is completely fucking unrelated you shitstain

Dragon Ball has it. And so does YYH. Yusuke received a boost against Toguro after watching Kuwabara "die."

saint seiya was the worst one with the friendship stuff, it was a big amount of asspulls but not as bad as fairy tail

Name what friendship speeches you are talking about.

I think OP means something more like pic related than rage boosts.

>Dragon ball
Goku literally beat Majin Boo with power of friendship.

>Japanese
>Japanese
>Japanese
I'll nevet get tired of watching this.

I like how didn't work against Vegeta or Freeza but they pulled it out of their ass so many hundreds of chapters later

This

>I don't remember friendship giving a power up in Naruto
First arc, pic related. Naruto gets a powerup after Sasuke sacrifices his life to protect him.

That wasn't a friendship powerup, that was revenge induced rage with kyubi's chakra.

This We want to differentiate SSJ like situations with rage-boosts and beating a stronger enemy after either making or hearing a speech and focusing on something to protect (like Luffy vs Lucci).

Name one instance of this in pre-Z DB. Pro-tip: you may be able to, I don't remember.

>pre-Z DB

It's not exactly the same situation, and Goku didn't even win, but the Goku vs. Tenshinhan fight was all about how Tenshinhan would never reach his full potential and become a true martial artist by being an asshole loner.

Debattable, but okay, let's set this one aside.
Now explain the Gaara vs Naruto fight. Nakama power is the key difference that allowed Naruto to win.

As for the earliest power up friendship speech I know of here it is youtube.com/watch?v=Wu1S6IAM5V0 from 20:12 to 21:00
Couldn't find it in english but surely from paying attention to how many times amigo is being pronunced and the montage of his friends kicking ass you can guess what it's about.

I don't remember the fight very well, but wasn't power of friendship just a thing that motivated him to take risk with summoning Bunta? Since then Bunta was the one to carry the fight and before that it was kinda back and forth.

It's not really the fight in itself it's more the epilogue. Naruto is like "I know it hurst too" and Gaara has a love/nakama epiphany.

But it wasn't really "you lost because you have no friends", but more "your life sucks because you don't have friends".

Naruto asked kyubi for his power to save his friends. It was kyubi's power and not sheer will/friendship but I guess it counts.

Obligatory youtube.com/watch?v=2uTuncnLrA0