How do you feel about the fact that most mangaka and anime directors and their writing teams just basically make their...

How do you feel about the fact that most mangaka and anime directors and their writing teams just basically make their stories up as they go along without much of clear plan in mind?

Understandable given their deadlines

What did Araki mean by this?

I'm curious now

What do (you) consider to be notable examples of this? And ones that aren't?

He was better as a semen demen

What do you mean? He still is.

Western TV does the same thing. That's why TV anime and non-episodic western TV is such horrendous shit compared to film, books, and music when it comes to artistic worth. Profit is put before vision.

Just look at all the random spinoffs and similar garbage that have come from your favorite series. *gatari, once a great series, has long overstayed its welcome. Bleach. Nardo. Madoka. Plus how many second seasons of countless shows that never needed them and degraded their series, like Eureka 7 and DtB and soon, Code Geass. The surest way to destroy a great anime's legacy is to give it a second season.

Feels like you shouldn't expect anything of weekly manga.

>Plus how many second seasons of countless shows that never needed them and degraded their series, like Eureka 7 and DtB and soon, Code Geass
Making up your story as you go along is not really the same thing as making an unnecessary sequel after the first story ends.

It's responsible for a lot of long running trash and terrible sequels. Though it's not always the writers' fault, if the higher ups want something to keep going, they keep it going.

Don't really care because as long as you're not a hack, it shouldn't take much planning to make a solid story.

>as long as you're not a hack, it shouldn't take much planning to make a solid story.
You don't know that.

I'm pretty sure E7 doesn't have a sequel user.

Somebody please explain this shit to me

Doesn't everyone do it like that, though? Rare is the autist or someone who can plan for years ahead and NOT be affected by success and shit.

>Made up as they went along that can be confirmed
Dragon Ball
JoJo
Yu Yu Hakusho
Kenshin
Bleach
Naruto
Most Gundam series
Code Geass
Evangelion and lot of other Gainax stuff
Sailor Moon
Utena (Read Ikuhara's commentaries.)
Films by Miyazaki (See him admitting in Kingdom of Dreams and Madness that he hadn't thought of the ending to The Wind Rises yet while in the middle of animating it.)
>Bersek

>Looks Planned out
One Piece
Hunter x Hunter maybe.
Madoka and other Urobuchi works
Manga by Naoki Urasawa
Cowbot Bebop maybe.

It's harder to list the ones that were planned out because we really don't know what often goes on behind the scenes and they don't often tell us.

There are stories that have had a clear plan and sucked, and there are stories that were made up as they went along that were good, planning does mean high quality. However I do have more confidence in a planned story.

I miss Babylon 5. It pretty much pit all western shows ever to shame with actual pre-planning.

I don't think its that cut and dry, I think a lot of manga develop a story by first getting a beginning and an end, after which they'll focus on individual arcs, by the time an arc has started it has mostly been planned out, they might even have an idea of the next 2-3 arcs but after that its more vague.

The reason I think this is most arcs are designed almost in a bubble within the story of a manga, only a very small amount of actions and characters within an arc matter for longer than that arc itself, the mangaka will just make sure that by the end of every arc the protags get a bit closer to the end of the story.

I won't believe Madoka was anything grand planned out.

It was a good cour story that got popular so it was expanded for more content

Right looks like a shitty DC comic.

>Evangelion

Prove it.

There are those who can repeatedly pull gold out of their ass while there are those who could spend their entire lives dressing a piece of shit up and amount to nothing.

planning is irrelevant to writing.
all that matters is talent.

That's arguable. If we're to consider /lit/ stuff, it's obvious that certain works only achieve success due to pre-planning.

There's no way 1984 and Brave New World is written on the fly. Asimov was a prolific scientific writer before he's into fiction and albeit that doesn't 100% prove he planned everything, Nightfall and Bicentennial Man definitely has a general structure planned to it. On the other hand, there's Kafka who was arguably famous because his friend (un-)luckily goes against his will and Hitchhiker which was probably hodge-podged together.

Thematic consistency and coherent plots are underappreciated in Japan.

In Asimovs case he had a solid plan for his Foundation trilogy. And then he wanted to add more books to the story even though he was obviously uninterested in continuing with the original creative vision. The end of the sequel duology was really disappointing because it completely subverts the original theme and plot, to the point of rendering all previous plotlines completely irrelevant with a complete asspull because he wanted to rush to a final ending and use Daneel from the Robot Series.

>One Piece
Are you retarded, by chance?

Can't argue against that, shows how important planning is if you want to write something lengthy and still keep theme coherence intact. Personally though, I prefer his shorts. For some reason that short story with the chronosphere really sticks with my head.

I wonder why did he continue it though, it's not like he needs money and I doubt any single editorial would be able to pressure bloody Asimov to continue something he doesn't want to.

Is that why bleach went to shit once it went full fighting manga instead of High-school ghost-busters

I pretty sure Theme matters the most. Just Look at Death note and the Netflix movie

I seem to recall from the foreword that he wrote them as fan-service because the entire world had begged him for a couple of decades to write more Foundation.

I agree that his short stories are the best. The books with Elijah Baley are awesome too though.