Tsunderes

To those who like tsunderes, what would you say is their appeal? Is this appeal affected by them having (or not having) violent tendencies? I personally don't get the appeal and think a natural progression from that to a loving relationship can't really be achieved; are there examples that contradict this?

If a tsundere has violent tendencies then they're not a good tsundere

please hurts my feelings tsun-chan

i don't like most tsunderes

like eri sawachika is one i can think of being a good tsundere, and not for the cookie cutter qualities exhibited but because of her as a character

what you're trying to do is pigeonhole them as good or bad based on generalized aspects when you should be wondering if there is more to the character than just those surface level qualities

if the character is nothing more than just a stereotype, then it's not a terribly interesting character and indifference for me sets in

but if there's a little more beneath the veneer, and not just a cheesy "i'm secretly a bdsm mistress ohohohoho!" thing, then i might feel more engaged to care about the character

try looking at characters as more than just a mere collection of qualities to fap to

FPBP.

Being bossed around by cute younger girls is every man's fetish. It triggers your parental instinct or something, idk.

>are there examples that contradict this?
Yes, the pic you posted you faggot
Kill yourself

the suffering because they never win.

idk, I never quite got the idea or the appeal until Sheryl.
This might sound a little like feminist analysis, but bear with me here:
It essentially puts the female in power structure in the relationship onto equal footing with the male and enables conflict-driven character development, without it being ultimately detracting or harmful to the character's relationship. Veiled interest is the one of the few ways to write a female love interest in a natural and exciting fashion, while having the female character remain interesting to both male and female viewers.

Of course you can also just have her blush whenever romantic subjects come up or have her slap the protagonist every once in a while. That makes for a worthwhile love interest.

Basically just watch that date episode from Macross F.

more than reducing characters to that trait, I felt that it was a trait that ruined or prevented a character to fully develop; but you make some great arguments. I'll watch School Rumble to try and understand your point better.

in time user, in time. Meanwhile try and get less upset about people not liking your chinese cartoons

They are usually the main female deuteroganist and totally insufferable, so I don't have this mental problem personally. Dandere a best.

I will, thanks user

Under my thumb
The girl who once had me down
Under my thumb
The girl who once pushed me around

The whole phenomenon exists because otakus couldn't handle rejection in their past and convinced themselves that the girl was just too shy.
The 'appeal' of tsunderes is just to reinforce this illusion, that's my take on it.
Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm full of shit.

I like the anti social and resistance they put out; its a weird reverse psychology thing. I like it cuz they don't want it and act violent till you win.

You're full of shit, but you are right on one count.
The tsundere character is pure manipulation, the cheaply written fast food tsundere has nothing to offer other than the simple emotional manipulation that comes from presenting a normally "forceful" character and having that persona break at times to reveal vulnerability, this vulnerability is then explored in several different ways.

because pic related

Gap moe. It's precisely this rare combination of opposing traits that makes it so appealing. Slutty but still pure, cold but still caring, etc. And unlike in real life, we as viewers get to see inner character monologues to know what the they are really thinking.

>what would you say is their appeal?
I like seeing them get over their insecurities, and become more gentle and forgiving as they develop, but still retaining their confidence and passion (i. e. not becoming a moe-blob). Plus they are usually more reliable and proactive than other archetypes.

Also I like tsurime.

>slutty but still pure

that's the dream

Casual masochism.

Not becoming a moe-blob is a great advantage, but being a tsundere at one point doesn't necessarily save a character from this, as what happened to Videl from DB

Tsundere are common in real life. There are many degrees of rejection, and they can be hard to distinguish. Giving someone more space than they wanted will result in them feeling rejected too.
I suppose some can delude themselves into thinking that people that don't like them are just being tsun, but tsundere generally requires a body of work. If someone legitimately doesn't like you, they aren't going to keep interacting with you long enough to establish a rapport.

The way you put it makes it seem like the guys who tolerate tsunderes are the target appeal of it, since the girl can treat him like trash and still feel wanted, rather than the guy getting much out of the manipulative relationship aside from a tiny spec of promise.

As a rule, tsundere don't like being tsun and would rather be dere all the time. Good tsundere, anyway

that's dumb psychobabble, i'm shy as fuck and generally god fcking damn this keyboard why does the u key fail so much in typing it

anyway i'm shy as fuck and don't care much for generic tsundere

So a case of 'taming the beast' in the form of easing the girl to be more comfortable with her more dere feelings?

fucking this. That is actually very cute in my opinion, having the girl fight her own tsun but can't seem to somehow, because of how difficult she finds sincerely expressing her feelings

Bingo. The classic tsundere is supposed to gradually become less tsun over time, with a few cute two-steps-forward-one-step-back moments.