So, the past 3 issues of Guitar Player have had men over the age of 50 on the cover. In this, month's issue...

So, the past 3 issues of Guitar Player have had men over the age of 50 on the cover. In this, month's issue, with John Petrucci on the cover, 98% of the photos feature men over the age of 40. Why have white millennial males dropped the guitar as the instrument of rebellion?

Other urls found in this thread:

guitarworld.com/magazine/apr2018
youtube.com/watch?v=xHR-rzUjCzU
youtube.com/watch?v=zm-rb8k1HkU
youtube.com/watch?v=FKRVSxiUt0A
youtube.com/watch?v=stpRIyHHw8g
ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/the_smashing_pumpkins_reunion_tour_selling_poorly_fans_blame_very_expensive_tickets.html
youtube.com/watch?v=BB8z08_8uhM
youtube.com/watch?v=xQWQjZxfs4g
youtube.com/watch?v=q0iPrx2f4sw&t=10s
youtu.be/vmHr9dUhclo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's gay and computers do it 20x better

>rebellion
>being featured in (((media)))

Read guitar world, it's better

Not doubting you, but links to computer-based rebel songs would be nice.

Shit, got my mags mixed up, but you get my drift:

guitarworld.com/magazine/apr2018

Play guitar...be Chad and get the chick's
Play guitar hero...beta soyboy, incel

There is no guitar based rebel music, they aren't rebelling against anything and they never left the safety of the system. Fake heroes

youtube.com/watch?v=xHR-rzUjCzU

I love guitar but I mostly play gypsy jazz or flamenco or maybe math rock. Fuck that gay dad rock pentatonic blues shit you hear every boomer playing

24 y/o M can't afford to leave my job and tour. That and my old band broke up and starting a new band isn't foreseeable. My old band has a name I don't want to use anymore despite using it forever. I can record riffs at least for now. Now I don't even want to sing in a band just focus on guitar but now its like just wanking off to myself when I play and can never get the hours to really focus on it because all the problems I set aside 'for later' caught up with me and now I'm trying to get out of debt BEFORE I come back and start heavily playing, now it's if I feel like it which some day I do, some I don't so idk. If I go too long without a guitar I pick it up and jam heavier so its like a cycle for me. No I'm not cutting my hair unless I bald a lot

Wanted to start a band, but no one plays anything good anymore, and I ain't gonna play this new gay shit.

because there was no rebellion
it's manufactured rebellion, sponsored by corporate interests and played on the mainstream radio. where's the rebellion? it's just a musical instrument being sold as an instrument of rebellion but it's not and never was.

nothing wrong with playing guitar, it's just not an act of rebellion against the norm or anything. once it might have been a sort of musical rebellion against other kinds of music, but never a real rebellion

maybe us newer generations just lack the emotional intelligence to understand music as being anything other then a pleasing set of coordinated sounds. maybe it is just a pleasing set of coordinated sounds? like i get that you can put emotion into music and i can feel that. but it's hardly a rebellion to just express emotions in music tied to some vapid lyrics.

i mean this song here, it's ok
but rise above what? who? i get the high energy emotion in the song, they really want to "rise above" whatever it is they're rising above. but it's just music, there's no rebellion. i don't know if music can be rebellion, it's just sounds.

guitar is an old mans game that is on the same drain circling trajectory as the Harley Davidson. amusingly enough for Sup Forums the only young player I've heard in the last couple years that could really jam is classically trained and black.

youtube.com/watch?v=zm-rb8k1HkU

i'd like a motorcycle
but i'm only interested in something low power, easy on gas money, something reliable and affordable and comfortable. i don't see why i would get a harley. maybe a honda. i'll probably just get a scooter.

i don't think most of us care if he's black or not. Sup Forums isn't a racism hivemind

maybe it's just low testosterone. we don't feel like being all pointlessly macho and shit. just want to be practical. but with more hormones maybe we would be louder and more brash and pointlessly liking stupid loud things as a way of thumping our chests? just a theory. liked the tune

not sure how a scooter would look in Canada or anywhere in the inner cities of the Anglosphere without looking like a homosexual or a lost Italian.
easy there Trudeau.
youtube.com/watch?v=FKRVSxiUt0A

But even this. The problem isn't that he's a negro. There's something lacking in the rhythm that bothers me. Usually with modern music it's the rhythm and the voice that bothers me. I don't know why the hell it changed so much, but the old 60's-70's records had sex, love, harmony, tripping, and all that, and the new bands are just neutered sounding. It irritates me.

And groove. Nobody grooves anymore.

all the kids I know have synth/midi rigs hooked up to loop pedals and electronic drums n computers n sheeeit. mesa boogie amps were the most advanced thing when I was a kid, or maybe that Van Halen guitar with the auto-drop-D tuner built-in. memories..

because grunge killed it

>implying i give a fuck
i like the automatic transmission and the urban maneuverability of the smaller wheels. i'm trying to get from point a to b while saving on the price of gas and insurance. and scooters just look fun to drive. it's not a fashion statement

and frankly the idea that it irritates people who think i should be driving something else instead kind of appeals to me. you're just making me want a scooter even more because fuck trying to be cool.

I get a lot of flak for listening to old music, but I think Newton's quote of "standing on the shoulders of giants" applies to today's music.

Even in the 2000s they put classic rock /older guys on the covers instead of new talent. Unless they were really big successes

i'm a race realist, but i'm not trying to be an edgy "gas the kikes" faggot like you

Guitar techniques magazine master race.

As to there being less people playing guitar. I think it's cause video games have replaced music as a hobby for young men.

>why is someone who's been playing guitar for 30 years better than someone who's only been playing guitar for 10

No one around to teach it, and you can't really learn online. It's just not the same as having someone sitting next to you on the couch giving you shit for not being able to use your fingers right

Kids aren't buying magazines

Put King Gizzard on the cover and maybe that will change

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals were probably the best modern live act I've seen. But, even she switched her sound and went solo.

i think there's something so incredibly unappealing about all the try-hard wannabe cool guy driving loud bikes to be macho. i have a large penis so i don't need to compensate for anything with a brash vehicle

checked
and yeah, this user has got it personally, I'm getting older and it's all so tiresome nowadays.

youtube.com/watch?v=stpRIyHHw8g

>tfw tried to play guitar hero but I sucked at it because I knew how to play the songs on real guitar and my fingers automatically went to those notes all the time

i've seen there's a guitar hero game where you plug in your actual electric guitar. can't remember what it's called but i saw it at a music store.

Holy shit you are gay

JOHN 5 THERE IS NONE HIGHER.

If it were really that easy, every guy would be playing guitar.

t. Fretwanker

this is a very complicated topic. one of the reasons is that the last generation was indoctrinated with nothing but nigger and pop music, which is generally devoid of any real guitar playing. another reason is that the older, more prominent headliner bands just never stopped touring, never passed the torch, and you rarely see any up and coming bands selling out large arenas. they have completely capitalized on this and are shutting new bands out so they can stay infinitely wealthy. the other major factor is anyone who's working in music past or present knows it's a failing archetype with no money to be made anymore. and for all the wrong reasons. it's not just because napster showed up, it's because labels and companies literally rob the artists until they're broke and penniless, and any up-and-comers are keen to this.

that's why you have 50 year olds still making guitar mag covers. there's nobody left.

Because the advertisers want to hit the guys with the money. Not the ones in debt or neets

I just read that even the Smashing Pumpkins reunion is NOT selling tickets:

ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/the_smashing_pumpkins_reunion_tour_selling_poorly_fans_blame_very_expensive_tickets.html

>there's nobody left.
youtube.com/watch?v=BB8z08_8uhM

>scooters just look fun to drive
They're not
> i'm trying to get from point a to b while saving on the price of gas and insurance
Real bikes do that better
>i like the automatic transmission and the urban maneuverability of the smaller wheels
Faggot. I cannot wait until you lose most of your teeth thinking your 49cc scoot is gonna be half as maneuverable as a bike that's not constructed like a motorized dinner chair.

Because of Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

There's no need to rebellion now.
Rock was influential because it was a tool to rebel against the system, to fight for freedom, degeneracy and unaccountability.
The battle was won and there's nothing to rebel against anymore. Now people are addicted to hedonism and music is made to satisfy their pleasures.

oh no, i'm going for the 250cc models, not 49cc

and i had an electric scooter, it was fun. real bikes you're always shifting and stuff, which is fine if you're into performance and whatnot. i just want to get where i'm going and don't want to think about shifting all the time

Before grunge came along, hair metal was in, and hip hop was on the rise because hair metal became more about looks than music. Grunge paused hip hop success. Even Jay Z admitted it.

Correct sir.

maybe 150cc i guess at bare minimum

There's way more talent among young guitarists today than compared to 30 years ago. There's just less opportunities for joining bands, and even if you join one, finding gigs is even more of a struggle. Just look on Youtube. There's literally thousands of amazing guitarists that you can find with zero effort.

We were freer back then and we only had a limited pool of people to compete against or rebel against or impress
Now you've got the whole fucking planet to compete with.
We could be big fish in small ponds so there was enough to go around and it was worth having some swagger
What's the fucking point of even trying at anything now? You only need to look online and there's a greater pool of people who are lightning leagues better even in the hobby level sphere of something shit like painting miniatures

We could get together and start a magazine or a band or something back then. What can you do now without a gatekeeper saying what's in and what's out. And look at the difference between how you could look and still be considered sexy. You have to be literally android level perfect now

Rocksmith and Yousician. Gay shit tho

Good luck going anywhere on this continent, faggot. Unless things are significantly more urban, you're going to regret getting an engine that blows up when it does 60 for a half hour.

they don't though. a 250cc liquid cooled honda engine can run for hours at top speed. you don't know what you're talking about

But by "amazing" do you mean technical? I'm over the althleticism of it. Where's today's Johnny Marr? Today's Bert Jansch?

Music has reached it end stage of modernity as pure materialist jargon. A good sense of rythm and composition sadly can't beat out a record label anymore.

Nigger I've redlined bikes 3 times as big as that, I can guarandamntee you that your fucking scooter won't hold up on the interstate

because millennial males can make music on a computer now

why would i want to use the intersate? i have a gps, i'll take the back roads. more scenic and i'm no hurry

One of the most difficult red pills to swallow is that rock is nigger music; the hip hop of 50 years ago.

This too. I had more disposable income back then even though I earn a fortune now. It's too dear to go fucking cinema now forget buying band equipment and going out to gigs and clubs and pubs. Everything is so expensive it's hard to get scene going. It's affected the art world too. That's been literally identical shit since the 90s because of this
If I was young now id kill myself or end up in some sort of cult
Even the pubs are going and in my area there wouldn't be enough young whites to hang out with to even start a band

So you're fucking lying, then. Fuck off, leaf.

There haven't been any good rock bands since Arctic Monkeys. It's really that simple.

What fucking young people read magazines anymore? The magazine is aimed at older people who still read magazines who play the guitar. Also, they probably have some younger players who read the magazine but they would look up to older players that have years of improving their skills and wouldn't be turned off of reading the magazine simply because there's older players on the cover versus some new flash in the plan artist. Also, younger people who are into guitar don't look up so much to the virtuoso types, they like some metal dude who just plays one chugging note the whole song and doesn't even do solos. Putting these kind of guys on the cover, though, would piss off their established reader base. There are few younger virtuoso players, but there are a few like Tobi Abasi or someone like that, but they put people like him on the cover when they're skilled enough.

THIS

Every single guitar demo video on youtube is just some old fag playing a blues scale. I can't stand it. Or they're giving MUH LED ZEPPELIN talks.

what lie? i didn't say i drive for hours at top speed. i'm saying that a decent scooter engine can. i don't need personal experience to know that. i've looked into it and read about it. some scooter engines are specificallty designed for more durability then their limited speeds require in order to increase longevity.

Do you think in the not-too-distant future we'll be able to hack the brain to allow dissonant sound to be appealing? Like instead of 12 notes in the Western Chromatic scale, we can have an unlimited number of possibilities, making music new and exciting again?

>Arctic Monkeys
>good

Just need to train a few black guitarists to get (them) to make it popular.

Because guys learned to play guitars to impress girls and get pussy. You might argue some guys did it to write songs from the heart and blah blah blah but if you notice? They're swimming in puss.
But guys no longer care about impressing girls because women are fucking skanky as shit.

You're right, you said you wanted to save gas. You do that on the freeway, cunt. I'm done schooling you.

youtube.com/watch?v=xQWQjZxfs4g

The music scene is also so fragmented. Back in the day they would have had more of the same influences, and those influences had roots in something. A lot of modern music has no true roots, so there's nowhere for it to grow or even connect with other musical traditions in the way that folk, country, and blues were turned into the late 60's scene.

Yeah, some of those bands were ugly as hell! They were good though.

why learn an instrument when you can press play?

All of the easy 3-power chord tunes have been played-out.

Learn some new stuff. That old soggy, repetitive rock shit lost its legs about 20 years ago.

Hence, oldfag is all that is left.

I'm a guitar player who writes black metal. No I won't share my music one her but I'll link something similar.
youtube.com/watch?v=q0iPrx2f4sw&t=10s
shut your dickhole faggot

Buy Jap

this makes sense. back then you could actually work hard and better yourself and women would be attracted to that, but now if you aren't a chad it's over for you, so why bother even trying?

there is very little to rebel against anymore, and making angsty music is unbelievably gay

lol, you're trying too hard to be tough. sorta makes me think you're compensating for being a weakling on the inside.

That's a shame. First they took away the sheet metal factories, then the bands and now the pubs. What's a working class bloke to do?

i intend to

I like this version of the future

Feel my pain user. Look at old British television and our rubbery heads.

It's because these guitar mags are geared towards old boomers that spend lots of money collecting old boutique gear, same type of people that collect hotrods and go to car shows.

this

everyone and their dog plays guitar. and its always the same shitty fucking songs too.

piano or keyboard is making a comeback.

There's still composition even if you don't play the instrument live. It's not just "pushing play" unless you're talking about shitty 90s rap music that's just cobbled together from other people's recordings. Composing something in software in a piano roll has the potential of being no worse than classical composers who wrote out their music by hand on a staff on paper.

They literally just want us to fuck off and die. Like actual death dead

You need to check yourself kike

Pleb

And thus, our only natural response can be simply "you first"

Because not enough of the kind of music I want to hear exists, so I might as well try to make more of it.

>If it were really that easy, every guy would be playing guitar.
thats why the guitar market exploded during the 70s-2000s. with guitar center shops and other shit.

now that rock is shit. electronica will pick up the pieces. plus keyboard is way better

Spbp.

Mandolin>guitar anyway.

And maybe we'll be able to hack our brains to make ugly women look like 10's. That's a win/win in my book!

1. only people over 50 read paper magazines
2. guitar brands made the mistake of focusing on premium products which only old dudes can afford.

Jesus Christ man, if you cant find meaning in anything, why live?

youtu.be/vmHr9dUhclo
ye i dont know anything that rejects normalcy more than staying up for days on polish sulphate in a squat rave

i play fingerstyle folk