Hayao Miyazaki wanted to direct the film but was busy filming Howl's Moving Castle (2004) at the time...

>Hayao Miyazaki wanted to direct the film but was busy filming Howl's Moving Castle (2004) at the time. Producer Toshio Suzuki choose Gorô Miyazaki to direct since he was impressed by Goro's talent of making decisions quickly and properly while working in the Ghibli Museum, and his ability to draw pictures. Hayao was against Goro directing and production was very tense.

Who was in the right, Hayao saying Goro wasn't good enough or Goro taking a step foward and directing the film by himself?

Is Tales from Earthsea any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ngZ0K3lWKRc
youtube.com/watch?v=ATDUP-4Ba_U
youtu.be/ATDUP-4Ba_U?t=58m2s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The film is widely considered shit and is never brought up.

Miyazaki is known to try and sabotage other directors at Ghibli. He helped push an anti-Kaguya campaign and did some PR to help Big Hero Six win because he wanted to be the only Japanese director with an Oscar.

This movie is so bad. I don't think he single handedly fucked it up, the whole thing was a mess not just the directing.

What was the anti-kaguya campaign?

Maybe if Miyazaki didn't kick Hosoda off of Howl, he would have fulfilled his promise to Le Guin of being Earthsea's director.

>He helped push an anti-Kaguya campaign and did some PR to help Big Hero Six win because he wanted to be the only Japanese director with an Oscar.

Give me a source of that.

>Miyazaki is known to try and sabotage other directors at Ghibli.

Takahata fucked up himself and therefore Ghibli with Princess Kaguya, making it overbudget into 44M$ and only getting 22M$ in cinemas, no need of backstabbings this time

It's a really bad movie with some decent scenes and okay music.
I couldn't even tell you what the plot was, and I've seen it more than once.

I wish to know more of it world building. I like it a lot.

Read the books.

You can watch this if you are brave enough

Howl and Ponyo were just as shit as Earthsea, so it would have sucked anyways. Miyazaki hasn't made a good movie since Sen to Chihiro.

>Danny Glover
picked up

goro is fucking based for sticking up to his goals while having a shit fart for a father
if i had a father like that at that point i'd rather be a nigger with no father at all

i remember that video w here Miyazaki bashes on some feature of CGI monster
he was completely right to trash it because the quality of it was absolutely fucking terrible but he started ranting about something like having a paraplegic friend and the pain a person like that has to live through and yadayada...which had no fucking relevance to the quality of animation feature he was being presented with

there is no fucking way this dude doesn't have dementia

Howl is trash, but Ponyo is easily better than Sen to Chihiro and the closest he ever came to making a second Totoro.

>Who was in the right, Hayao saying Goro wasn't good enough or Goro taking a step foward and directing the film by himself?
It was suicidal for someone as young as Goro trying to meet expectations of being a Miyazaki.

The failure was basically guaranteed, and the father was merely trying to prevent the disaster from hurting his son.

Goro should have done what his father did, which was spending years directing TV shows and earning a name for himself there. Trying to become a legend all in one go just leads to pain and anguish.

He wasn't ready. He should never have been forced to embarrass himself like that.

youtube.com/watch?v=ngZ0K3lWKRc

Even reading about Miyazaki's early years, it's super clear he wasn't your average animator. Like how he was assigned to do inbetweens on Horus and wound up with a seat at the director's table. I have never heard of anyone with the same passion he had, certainly not Goro.

Goro had the same age than his father when he directed Totoro. The point is that Hideo Miyazaki work his ass off in toho and other animation companies during the late 60s and 70s. Goro was just working at Ghibli Museum and only directed a documentary about the place (Which is ok tho).

Hideo was an ass, Isao Takahata was an ass and Toshio Suzuki was another ass. They just want for themselves, Hideo molesting other directors and Isao by reclusing himself and refuse to finish his works at time.

Goro obviously had something to prove to dear old dad.

>Goro obviously had something to prove to dear old dad.
And that is just the wrong way about it. He was better off deliberately omitting his surname and start with small projects. If he wants to prove how good he is, he should not try to use the Miyazaki name with so little actual director experience under his belt.

He tried to jump across a cliff when he could barely run, and now we have a bad film attached to his name forever.

Judging from the scenes in the documentary film, Goro actually was "forced" to take the project. He also wasn't happy with the fact that he was "forced" to do it and had to follow the strict Ghibli film-making structure.

>Order the earthsea quartet from bookdepo a couple days ago because it was on sale

>suddendly this thread.

the book is still like 13€ right now

Also, this might be a mediocre movie but it's unmatched in it;s soundtrack by anything Ghibli ever did.

I'll mega the soundtrack if anyone wants. the 9min ending theme is especially beautiful. And it;s not on youtube

>Is Tales from Earthsea any good?
It's pretty shit by Ghibli standards.
That said, it's not nearly as awful as There is are no books past 3 in the Earthsea series.

>There is are

Well, fuck me.

What he says makes perfect sense though. He thought it was ugly and it reminded him of his crippled friend. It was an insult to life, he thought.

yeah i always found that confusing because the one i got says "the first four books" in the description but im not sure if there's 3 or 4 in it.

I've taken to buying some of the books that originated ghibli movies recently. I got howl's moving castle and i'll be getting when marnie was there soon (also great ost).

no, he started ranting how person who made it has no idea about the pain a paraplegic person has to live through

which has no fucking relevance whatsoever, the animation was of a abomination zombie monster not something that can relate to human emotions

You all should watch this documentary, "The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness".

youtube.com/watch?v=ATDUP-4Ba_U

This is the bit with Goro Miyazaki (They are discussing the production of Ronja: The Robber's Daughter, From 58:02 to 01:01:47)
youtu.be/ATDUP-4Ba_U?t=58m2s

Goro is actually the good guy

I feel kinda bad for Goro. He obviously has daddy issues that need sorting and Hayao is too much of a prideful old fart to care.

Those people were retarded anyways. He owed them no respect, for a few reasons.
1) The animation looked terrible and useless.
2) Miyazaki is known for finely crafted hand-drawn animation that shows the beauty and mystery in nature and youth. Why would he even be interested in that shit?
3) People who animate zombies for video games and films actually put a lot of effort into it, and implying that a computer program is able to replicate that creativity in anyway is an affront to animators everywhere.
4) He's right: A computer program can't understand the pain of a human, and is unable to instill any ethos at all into its products. A zombie's movement is inherently meant to replicate that of a human with physical deformities.

I liked it but I've never read the books. It did feel like Goro was tracing or at least closely referencing his father works for half of the stuff in the movie

His point is that even an abomination zombie monster wouldn't walk like a paraplegic in "his works". If a person who made it had any idea about the pain of a cripple, he wouldn't show that animation to anyone. The old fart may or may not think that stuff animated in that way would be insulting to paraplegic people and other cripples, but even without assuming this, I can see his point perfectly well.

If you want to hate on the old man, just point out how he is unable to grasp the simple fact that sooner or later an AI like this will make virtually all anime, and it will be indistinguishable from the real thing,

>busy filming Howl's Moving Castle (2004) at the time
Well, they fucked that one up badly too, so I can't imagine that would've saved the adaption from being shit either.

The original trilogy, written in the 70s, is what you want. Later books veer from fantasy more into personal and gender drama; they're not bad but some parts can get really hamfisted. (Though you should read Tehanu and The Other Wind if you want to make more sense of the mess that is Ghibli's Earthsea)

Miyazaki is quite the titan in anime, there are tons of movies even outside of Ghibli which feel like they're trying to trace what he does. It's tiresome, they don't come close.

>A zombie's movement is inherently meant to replicate that of a human with physical deformities.
What? No. Human's movement will always be impacted by things like feeling of pain. You will limp if your leg hurts even if it's not deformed. A zombie movement will be impacted ONLY by it's deformity since a living corpse doesn't feel pain.
In what way a living human being capable of feeling pain can relate to a moving corpse.
He was right about AI-made animation being an insult to life since it fucking is. I personally refuse to use those automatic cashier things at supermarkets for example. But him bringing up his cripple friend had no fucking meaning whatsoever behind it. It was completely irrelevant.
It's like that one post under the video said. He sounds like a retarded internet blogger whose mind literally searches for anything offensive he can grasp for to use as an argument even though it makes no fucking sense and has nothing to do with the topic.

I'm not going to get into an overly-specific argument about zombies with you, because this isn't reddit. Not being able to feel pain is literally a physical deformity. Please don't reply to me anymore.

>Hideo molesting other directors
lewd

They are some of my favorite books.

1) An arrogant mage pupil tries to fuck with reality and because of that he has to escape from a killer shadow thing.
2) A girl in a shitty temple meets the mage (now an experimented badass) and her views start to change.
3) Mage and a prince go on quest to defeat evil wizard who is fucking up reality but on a bigger scale.
4) Girl from second book and mage meet and adopt a dragon girl. Slice of life. Very fun. Women are stronk ok.
5) Honestly i dont remember shit about the fifth book. I think it was about the dead coming back or something like that. Its like i never read it even if i think i did.

>There are no books past 3 in the Earthsea series.

>mfw reading Tehanu right after The Farthest Shore
What the fuck was Le Guin thinking, that book was horrible and she managed to make me hate almost all the characters.

Yes please.

I don't really have any strong feelings either way on Earthsea, but Goro Miyazaki's From Up on Poppy Hill is seriously underrated. It's probably my favorite Ghibli film of the last 15 years or so.

It's bad, even if you haven't read the books.
Actually probably more so if you haven't, because it's such a hasty mess and you've no idea what's going on.
An adaptation of only Wizard of Earthsea, made by Ghibli with all that Ghibli polish and quality would have been so good, but nooo. I don't know what they fuck they were thinking. At least Goro went and did a good movie later so good for him.

>that scene where he finally pulls out the sword

Best moment in the entire film

So how was she a half-dragon again?

My favorite part of Ghibli's Tales of Earthsea is the city that trafficks in slaves. It looks like what Rome must have looked like around AD 600, which is something we wouldn't usually think about -- crumbling shells of marble classical buildings with little medieval wattle-and-daub cottages built inside of them.

It's a bit strange seeing a Ghibli movie with a male protag and a violent one at that

Why did he murder his father the king, anyway?

He was passing through an edgy phase

If Hayao had done it himself, Ghibli would still be making movies. This trilogy would've made them bank.

I don't think Ghibli closed its doors for lack of money.

Ghibli closed because Isao Takahata fucked them up with Kaguya's bomb. What's then?

Their movies aren't particularly profitable

What's your proof of that?

Even so it seems more likely that the three most important people at the studio are too old to keep doing what they're doing.

>It's a bit strange seeing a Ghibli movie with a male protag

Dude what
Ghibli made at least half a dozen movies with male protagonists

Not if you are a Hayao-baby. They usually haven't seen Porco Rosso and never even heard of Lupin III.

>Movie directed by Goro
>Protagonist kills his father
Hmmm

Castle of Cagliostro (as well as Future Boy Conan) may have all the trappings of a Ghibli film, but is not actually one.

>Lupin III

The Castle of Cagliostro was made by TOHO, Ghibli started business at 1985 m8

Mononoke Hime had a violent male protagonist too. Ashitaka knew the curse on his arm was going to kill him, but in the meantime he didn't have any qualms about ripping guys' heads off with a single arrow.

Ashitaka is the ultimate alpha, he doesn't need to apply common sense.

>1) mageling wants his power before he's ready for it, and his awakened power takes on form and his arrogance and vice and it's not until he faces these things willingly and embraces his other half that he joins the adult world as a man deserving respect and admiration
>2) authority can play the same role as ged's shadow, and it's not until you question authority that you're ready to leave childhood and become an adult and face the real world and all its unknowns
>3) death finds us all, even the greatest of heroes, and no amount of power or knowledge or wisdom can save you from your eventual death; the only thing you can do is accept death as part of life and pass the torch on to the young

>4) "hello my name is U.LeGuin, and I like money and an easy paycheck so I revisited the only books of my only success to rewrite the values in the first three by turning the focus onto feminism and muh dragons"
>5) "hello U.LeGuin and welcome to the hall of authors who didn't actually know why what they wrote was impactful"

>enter user, who is a brainlet

He actually DID have qualms about killing, as he states clearly in his talk with Eboshi. He also stops the fight in the Iron Town without any casualties except himself, even though he could've easily let Eboshi kill San, wiped out everyone except San, or anything in between.

>Get shot at with an arrow
>catches it in midair
>kill the guy with his own arrow instead
I love that man.

>the only books of my only success

You do realize that Le Guin was famous BEFORE the original trilogy, right?

you're connecting two things that aren't connected

>shoots arrow in self defense after seeing samurai killing a peasant, a direct betrayal of the samurai code
you're basically trying to say
>shoots arrow with super strength (he doesn't know he has yet btw) to decapitate (on purpose, not just shoot the guy, decapitate, (you fucking moron))

he shows surprise at his strength, and it's a sign of him seeing the evil within him; the whole fucking story is about the evil coming full circle; humans make evil as they try to fight against a cruel mother nature, younger humans undo evil and hopefully don't lose the ground contested by their fore bearers against mother nature,

didn't the fucker animator say he didn't want to do earthsea because leguin told him to fuck off like a cunt, and so he made earthsea his own? howls castle isn't as upfront as monoke, but it's practically earthsea

live action version, when?

I kinda get your point but you should really try to spell your thoughts in a more coherent way.

infamous maybe, have you read the fucking series around it?
>let me sidetrack the discussion on a small detail i don't agree with so i don't have to confront the actual post you made

reality makes that argument for me; people don't reference the inspiration of a gender confused postmodern sci-fi book, nor do they make multiple attempts at movies around it. history proves which of her books had actual appeal, though she did a good job of attempting to twist earthsea with 4&5 and her anthology into more of her typical shit content

>>shoots arrow with super strength (he doesn't know he has yet btw) to decapitate (on purpose, not just shoot the guy, decapitate, (you fucking moron))
Just to correct this. The first time he did this shot against the samurai it took both of the samurai's arms off. The decapitation happened at the end of the movie and that kill was cold blooded but also in self defense.

>Hayao Miyazaki first wrote author Ursula K. Le Guin about adapting her book into a film. LeGuin at the time was unfamiliar with Miyazaki's work and associated animation to be similar to Disney animation and turned the offer down. After she saw My Neighbor Totoro (1988) she loved it and decided to allow the movie to be made.

Not that I dislike his films but I wish miyazaki had just drawn manga instead, Nausicca is incredible.

>infamous maybe, have you read the fucking series around it?

The Hainish cycle has its ups and downs for sure, but you can't deny that Left Hand of Darkness is an acclaimed sci-fi classic. Sure, they didn't try to adapt it to film yet, but that's mostly because you can't just pick lolwizards and loldragons out of it like they did with Earthsea adaptations.

You gotta rewatch the movie. The scenes happen literally within 20 seconds of each other.

I was mistaken. But the decapitation still happens after he just blew a guys arms off with an arrow and clearly sees that something isn't right with his arms. The second shot was made in full knowledge of his new strength.

I don't think you can make an argument that he clearly sees anything considering the chaos around, and it's a kill or be killed situation. Later he makes a point that the cursed arm wants him to be violent but he's committed to suppress it.

>Hayao was busy making one of the worst adaptions in history
>Gets angry at his son for making a shitty adaption
Fuck you Hayao, Howl had some perfectly good themes of its own and you have to ruin everything by going HUR WAR IZ BAD and FLYING IZ GUD for the millionth fucking time instead. I loved that book and I was so excited when I heard he was making an adaption, I've never been more disappointed in my life.

I wish there was an entire series revolving around people presenting crappy CGI effects to Miyazaki just so he could trash them. Oji-chan's got some top-tier bantz.

>I don't think you can make an argument that he clearly sees anything considering the chaos around
Now you have to rewatch the movie. I just looked up the scene. He clearly sees that his arm is mutating when he takes off that first samurai's arms. He then comments on his arm. He knew something wasn't right and as soon as that happened. The second shot mas made with that knowledge in mind.

This was a great pleasant surprise. Porco Rosso is the best Ghibli film though/

Awful pacing. Seriously terrible in that regard. Random shit happens for no apparent reason and is never explained or even mentioned again. Felt like I was watching someone's vivid hallucinations.

Decent music. Animation is nothing to write home about.

Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Below was a better Ghibli film than anything they've done in the last ~20 years, and it wasn't even a Ghibli film.

Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Below went downhill near the end. I wouldn't put it above Arrietty both plot-wise and art-wise.

>CGI was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

Has anyone seen this movie yet?

Firstly stop misusing the spoiler function, and secondly that's a fucking retarded opinion, that movie is so unbelievably vapid even for Shinkai. In the last 20 years Ghibli gave us multiple films from both Miyazaki and Takahata and you've gotta be a real mental fuck up to see that shamelessly unimaginative cash-in as even coming close to one of their films. Flagrant contrarianism can only give you so much hipster cred.

Speaking of Ghibli-esque non-Ghibli movies, Junkers Come Here is an extremely underrated gem. (The US DVD box art is so unbelievably awful that you probably wouldn't pick it even from a 50c clearance bin)

Agreed, though more so with the "extremely underrated" part than the "Ghibli-esque" part. I really love that movie, it's a shame it's so overlooked. Sentimental but sincere, funny and touching, beautifully animated.

I love how you regurgitate this shit in every thread without knowing what it is. Do us all a favor and kill yourself.

It's a good fucking thing then that the model was showcasing a caterpillar movement like he wanted from his CGI short, you cocksucking retard.

>"shit nigga this be a long ass quest"

I swear the Miyazaki cocksuckers in this thread don't actually browse Sup Forums, they just lurk until a Miyazaki thread pops up so they can defend his honor.

/thread

What makes you say that

It's bait.

>opinions that don't agree with mine are bait

On the plus side, I'm pretty sure Jones saw their blue eyed Howl and wrote fucking Twinkle in response to it, and that'll always be funny to me.