Can someone explain to my why traditions are so important and special...

Can someone explain to my why traditions are so important and special? What is so magical about doing the same stupid shit your parents' parents did and so on? Do people really need traditions to prevent them from destroying themselves?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Chesterton's_fence
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Do people really need traditions to prevent them from destroying themselves?
Yes.

do people need laws to prevent them from distroying themselves/others? in short yes, not for everyone obviously but look at how degenerate everything has become due to lack of tradition

Depends on the tradition since some is to just unit families or bring cheer or actually have a purpose but has been forgotten through time.

Traditions are closely linked with culture and social cohesion, which results in an innate desire to sustain society, form bonds with others, and start and support a family

>why do traditions that promote life and family survive the test of time?

because it worked and what we're doing now doesn't

also, consider this. without the family who teaches the children? only the schools, only the state. which is why the state destroys the family, so they can have a future where families don't get in the way of raising the next generation the way the state sees fit.

and the state, is always, without question, every fucking time: evil

You're the soulless, spastic type of new generation trash that the conservatives want to purge from our planet.

Fuck off.

When you have no past you have no future, what has decades of 'liberal' ideas brought us. We've destroyed the family unit, removed any type of religious belief, sexual degeneracy is the new normal; and to what end. Has it made a positive difference. Is your life improved by severing the connections to culture and heritage. Aren't you really just more alone?

For many, yes. Traditions are like the social equivalent of instincts. They are a relatively primitive but usually reliable mechanism for human survival and Darwinian fitness. Blindly following them usually provides reliable and well-established results. The higher IQ you have, the less you need to rely on traditions and can fine-tune your behavior to be optimal for the situation at hand, but even smart people are not immune to doing stupid shit that adherence to traditions might have prevented (eg. almost all modern shitlib and social justice intellectuals).

Tradition for tradition sake is retarded. However, some traditions are overlays for valid and invaluable techniques that create and sustain social cohesion and personal satisfaction. The traditions that function as techniques MUST be maintained and passed on at all costs. The stupid ones that are arbitrary should be indulged as an amusement, but not as mandatory.

Grow up and you'll find out. Now fuck off, this place is 18+

Do more research into the ancient world and you'll begin to see that traditions are more than "doing the same stupid shit your parents' parents did." You would be surprised at how much of our modern culture is built on tradition and even more surprised why society was made like this.

>Do we need to protect the methods used to build successful societies in order to preserve society?
Yes, dummy.
Everytime people have gone apeshit throughout history over societal constructs trying to create new ones, we destroy our civilations, become overtaken by war and destroyed, until we regroup and end up back at square 1 again with families being the building blocks of communities.

>Can someone explain to my why traditions are so important
They were developed because they worked and were good. Many were based on logic and realities of life, or to enhance them. Are leftists really too stupid to understand this?

So the Athenian tradition of fucking little boys should’ve been preserved?

Traditions are fundamentally just memetic ideas, and it’s dumb to say that all ideas are as long as they’ve been practiced for more than one generation. Ideas must be evaluated and ranked according to their objective value. Otherwise you end with an inability to tell good ideas from bad one if you learned them from your parents.

Is the tradition of moving out and starting a new household when you turn 18 a good tradition?

It can be, but not always. As in, it would take a specific set of circumstances for it to be a good tradition.

The only tradition I really really can't stand is the whole respecting the dead to a fault thing.

I'm not moving over and stopping for your fucking funeral convoy i've got shit to do fuck off he's dead he won't care.

There is not a single tradition that >should< be preserved. All of them are practically useless and you don't need them to survive.

But that's not the point why we have them. If you don't understand the idea of traditions, just grow the fuck up. I was a kid once too and I also thought traditions are stupid.

>tradition

Keep well established behaviours and beliefs, which are certifiably time-tested to aid in living the good life, alive.

>post-modernism and progressivism

Discard previously mentioned behaviors for hypothetical experimentation, acceptance of temptation, or embrace of hedonism.

>why care about what other people do?

Because human beings are social animals and we want as many of our people, and people in general, to live the good life. Every time an “advancement” was made by social progressives we can correlate it with decreases in living satisfaction. Not only for white people, who are specifically targeted, but in every extant group on earth. Technology, especially electronics and entertainment scientifically engineered to cause degeneracy and addiction are only one (important) factor. People are really, truly suffering because they’re being fed lies all over the globe. Because of legitimately evil people and because people just won’t leave well enough alone.

Even bleeding-heart faggots that want to feed hungry niggers should realize this. The very thing that makes humanitarianism and all that bullshit possible is a solid society and it’s solid foundations. Yet they want to destroy this out of a warped sense of justice and desire for hedonism. If this society collapses thanks to the family unit, the class system, economics and morality collapsing, then not only are tons of your people dead, so is every nigger we’ve been wrongly feeding for decades. 99% of kikes killed by sandniggers invaders and then 90% of those sandniggers dying to war and famine. 70% of chinks starving to death because America isn’t around to buy it’s garbage. Europe and America reduced to radioactive wastelands where Right-Wing Death Squads hunt down darkies and degenerate lefties that caused that situation. And on top of that the few hundred kikes and their PMC’s left over to rule over the filthy masses left alive.

In the past maybe, nowdays it seems even less likely though if the kid has been essentially helicoptered and never learned to do a thing himself then it is a problem and the kid needs to go out into the world.

>All those physicalist ignoring the spiritual nature of tradition.
We are doomed.

it hasnt been a tradition all that long, i think people should stay with their families and learn skills off their father or mother. Sons take over the farm from the father and such

Otherwise you are like a rootless tree, faggot OP

The spiritual aspect shouldn’t be ignored but the fact of the matter is that physicalism-materialism dominates dialogue in today’s world. There are strong and realistic physicalist arguments for tradition. Learn to open with those.

>Sons take over the farm from the father and such
This creates labor inefficiency, though. People, through a combination of genetics and environment, are predisposed to certain applications. These predispositions do not necessarily align with their parents. If the son is a garbage farmer but a wonderful physicist, why would you have him driving a tractor instead of designing a rocket engine, simply for the sake of tradition?

This guy gets it.^^^

>These predispositions do not necessarily align with their parents
But by and large do, because they've been exposed to it their whole life. It's why monarchy is the best form of government.

Best post

what was he waiting for

If they’re all useless, what’s the point of maintaining them?

Seems to me that if they provide anything at all of value, they can hardly be useless.

>oy vey, dont learn about the past! thats what your father did, and he was a bad man!
>dont try to pass on things you enjoy goy, thats what your mum did, and what a terrible slag she was!
>OOOOOOOOY GEVALT GOYIM, you arent meant to have social cohesion with your fellow white man! quick! take some multiculturalism to cure yourself of that disease!

The tradition is garbage! The young leave, get themselves into debt starting a new household, have to have mother and father work to make enough to afford life, then when parents get old they can’t retire because they still have t paid off the mortgage.

Multigenerational housing should’ve been preserved as an exceptionally efficiency method of maintaining tribal stability and homogenization of moral value.

Absolute monarchy may be the best form of government, but it is not true that children will have the predispositions of their parents. More intelligent or hardworking parents will typically have more intelligent or hardworking children, but the career interests of the child are somewhat independent of those of the parent. The fact that most children do not go into the same line of work as their parents when offered alternatives (as they are today, rather than three centuries ago when there was little choice in the matter), demonstrates this.

That value is superficial, meaning, you can't touch it, it's all just in your head and the heads of all involved.

To an extent, yes?

>it is not true that children will have the predispositions of their parents
Not as a 100% certainty. But they're more likely to, and are better suited to it.

There's a practical dimension and a moral dimension.

The practical dimension is essentially en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Chesterton's_fence
i.e. traditions are constituent building blocks in the social fabric of a nation, and you'd better be damn well sure you KNOW that the brick isn't load-bearing before you knock it out.

The moral dimension is that tradition is the democracy of the dead. What right do you have to radically change the social fabric of a nation, which your forefathers had toiled so hard to get it just the way they liked it?

>knitpicking a small portion of a culture of a specific era in time
You're focused on bad traditions that need not be continued, instead of the major foundation of traditionalism that throughout time never changes, which is a strong family unit

>Can someone explain to my why traditions are so important and special?

Traditions are things that work, but from habit rather than explanation. Intelligent people fail to see the reasons they came about and have to relearn them when the traditions die.

>What is so magical about doing the same stupid shit your parents' parents did and so on?

That is at the heart of identity. Race, religion, and region are all far stronger sources of identity than voluntary associations of market and ideology.

Apparently yes.

bcuz certain things work over time and tradition preserves knowledge. sometimes. it's just like junk DNA that comes along with the useful stuff.

Yes. There are things that younger generations should pick up on.

I took up an ethic from my father, Catholicism from my grandfather, and shaving with a straight razor from my great-grandfather.

Every single thing on that list has helped me one way or another and each a tradition to each side of the family. They all connect me to them deeper than anything else really.

>1 post by this ID
Tradition is what brings people together and binds them, while culture generally curates tradition and what's appropriate for the age.

Traditions are memes before memes could be spread around really fast. Yes, they are important, all memes are, but an over abundance of memes makes each individual one less special.

nothing except for preserving institutions and behavioral patterns that promote eugenic populations, there is no inherent value to them

Let me tell you a story. It was Christmas Eve, and us siblings had just finished another tradition of exchanging our Secret Santa gifts like we've done every year. I was twelve, and my sibling that year was my ten year old brother. I've totally forgotten what I got him but what he got me was this: a NatGeo 3D slide show projector, along with an audio CD that went along with it. My brother, being an ten year old retard, thought that it was a *real* projector, when in reality it could only show the 25 pre-made slides that came with it. About prehistoric fish dinosaurs, like styxosaurus. The whole thing is really cheesy and the 3D doesn't really work, but we watched that night any way. And the year after that. And the year after that. And so on. All five of us siblings would get together and watch this silly, cheesy (albeit quite informative) experience. Yeah it was dumb. Yeah, we're all pretty much outgrown it. But it was OUR stupid, cheesy thing. Something that brought five people ten years apart in age to learn and bond over. We just did it for the 11th(!) time this Christmas, and pretty much all agreed that maybe it was time to move on. But I'd be damned if I didn't say that this silly little tradition didn't bring us siblings all together for at least one night every year.

tl;dr even stupid traditions bring people together and give things to look forward to.

they're proven to work
and yes people need them, most people are retarded

>Can someone explain to my why traditions are so important and special?

Without them your culture loses its soul.

>Come here expecting reasonable answers
>Most are ad hominem
faggots