I don't get his appeal

I don't get his appeal.
Why is this guy so widely liked in Sup Forums?

He's the greatest anime mc of all times

Why?

Read the VN and find out

at what point did typemoon start trying to milk the franchise for all it's worth? after ataraxia? zero? illya?

Read the VN

>fatetards
fuck off

"Fatetards" have dominated this board since you were getting bullied during recess

Because he's a self-insert (even though Sup Forums pretends he's not) and people like to think they're smart when they wank over Nasu/Shirou's laughable ideals.

He's a beautiful human being. Shirou warms my heart.

Laughable, just rule of cool? That's what makes him great?

A wannabe critic who only thinks in tropes could never hope to understand Shirou.

It isnt, only faggots likes him for his self insert dreams to fuck saberShits

At first he was the memest of anime heroes.

And then he was actually explored in widely available 'secondary' material ala OVAs and Unlimited Blade Works.

Now hes pretty awesome for being consistent and true to himself, like how Dr Doom is awesome for always being himself.

Explain his character to me, what makes him so DEEP?

Because he's literally made of swords.

More like rule of heartwarming.

Fate's always been an integral part of Sup Forums.

m8 your NP is literally sword autism

this.
Sup Forums has always been one of the biggest den of fatefags, arguing the exact same shit we have been arguing since the beginnings of this franchise, its amazing actually.

People seen to like Shirou because he's at the crossroads of examining a lot notions about doing the right thing that often don't get examined in this kind of power fantasy fiction.

As a result, depending on the scenario, he is either forced to grow beyond that simpleminded heroism and take a more pragmatic (but arguably still heroic) approach to life or he literally has to beat his hypothetical future existential dread in a physical fight to prove that his ideals are more important to him than whatever angst they might ultimately cause him, in a deftly averting time-displaced suicide.

Which is a fairly compelling set of scenarios for a character to run through

but personally i think he's a dumb wiener in a poorly written story where everyone acts like a space alien, in a setting that sets up a rule for the story's internal logic in the first half of a sentence and then breaks that rule before the punctuation mark

vns are the worst

LITERALLY SWORD AUTISM

It's not DEEP, you are just a retard.

This, you a are right.
Fate fails as a battle Royale.

He's one of the best written characters in animu, what more needs to be said. He actually has emotions and reasons for doing what he does. The world of Fate is very much lived in and when we come into the story, Shirou is his own puzzle that we have to take time into understanding fully. Essentially someone who has all the good intentions but got fucked up along the way to where the line becomes blurred.
Is doing the right thing a 'just' cause if you do it for the wrong reasons. Like sacrificing yourself for someone else because you have a martyrdom complex instead of looking for a solution where everyone survives.

But user, he's just an inferior copy of TRUE sword autism

Gil is just a kleptomanic pack rat. Not a true sword autist.

He has a spinning traffic cone that cuts and stabs through people. he's so fucking sword autistic that geometric shapes that have no business cutting and stabbing still do.

>liked

The truth is that people like him because they want to be him, they resonate with him and want to say some cool lines and having this ideal in their heads.
Why? Because they are people who are looking for something in their lives to fullfill, THAT'S why they resonate with him, Shirou is like them in a way.
It may sound weird, but think about it.
In the end Shirou is a self-inset, but not because he is a shallow and dull protagonist, it's just that in a way we wish that we were him.

Kiritsugu is a much better character. Shirou is a better PERSON, but Kiritsugu is a better character.

I admit I want to fuck Saber but I don't know about becoming a super hero.

He's a character that examines things that aren't usually thought of in anime/manga/VNs, and he also does some incredibly cool shit in the last route.
He went from being an annoying piece of shit in my eyes, to being the most admirable character I've ever experienced in this hobby.

>admiring a faggot who gave up on his ideals just to bone an educated prostitute

>He's a character that examines things that aren't usually thought of in anime/manga/VNs
"I want to be a hero and screw that it's hard I still want to do it" is fucking everywhere.

F/GO. Hate Prisma all you want, it's clearly still a story made by someone who cares. F/GO is just the laziest "milk everything, fuck consistency" approach.

Kiritsugu is literally just Shirou for brainlets though, there isn't enough time with Kerry for there to be ANY character other than just ''Mind of steel Shirou'' with a gun

I mean i know this is bait but just for the sake of the argument why don't you go read the novel if you want to find out? It's hard to explain a complex character in a few posts on Sup Forums.

>implying you cannot like Shiro for pic related

I think Shirou is specially liked by men because he draws out the sense of manliness in you. It's what the GAR meme is about. If you have even a drop of hot blood in your veins you can't help but to love him. He's just a stupid, hard-headed kid who will do anything to protect what he thinks is important. In a way, he's kind of a super hero in the traditional sense where you admire him. Combine that with being able to to a lot of chuuni shit and he's just great.

They're not really alike aside from wanting to be a hero. Kiritsugu fully embraced the "you can't save everyone" thing that Shirou refuses.

I guess I like Kiritsugu for the same reason I like Archer. He tried to save everyone and realized you can't so it basically just fucking broke him. And I'm a sucker for plots where someone's ideals break down like that, which is why for me Kiritsugu is a better character even though Shirou is a better person.

i have no idea why Fate is so highly regarded in Sup Forums.
i found it to be boring as fuck.

I didn't ask for these bittersweet feels in Fate/Accel Zero Order
Kiritsugu is a retard but he still deserved better

- I see a dream.

I see a memory that I cannot reach through a small connected circuit.

For what did he fight, and for what did he keep running?
He never told anyone about his motives.
Everyone around him saw him as either an obstinate or a weird person.
And on top of it all, he didn't talk much, so I bet he was thought to be ruthless.

Hit intentions were not known.
At the very least, nobody knew about them.

He never talked about his intentions even after he became a hero and was burdened with many things.

…That's why he appeared suspicious to the people around him.
It's because nobody knows his intention.
He conveniently saves people in danger, but nobody knows why he is doing what he does.

See, it's inevitable that people would feel uneasy about him.
He should have had a reason.
Greed, pride, selfishness, lust, vengeance, or devotion.
Simple reasons like those which are easy to understand. If he'd had any one of them, such an end should not have awaited him.

His reward for success was always betrayal.
The things he picked up sifted through his fingers like grains of sand.
He got used to it.
He got used to it like an idiot.
From the very beginning, his reward was…

…Not what he received from the people he saved, but the pure action of saving someone.

The repetition of it makes me so mad that I want to punch him, and it also makes me want to cry.
The reason he was called a hero…
His intention was never revealed to anyone.
Nobody around him knew, and he, the only one who had to know, eventually forgot about it himself.

Zero and Heaven's Feel are fantastic. UBW is a fucking boring slog outside Gil vs Hercules.and Shirou vs Archer.

That is why I shed tears in spite of myself.
To the miracle, that in the long, long path between the start and the goal, where what is right or wrong is not definite…
…He never strayed from his original goal.

And the end comes.
An excellent savior is only trouble for everyone except the ones he saves.

He knew his limits and the vastness of the world.
He accepts what can be saved and what cannot be saved.
That is why he at least wanted people within his sight to be happy.

Many scorned it at hypocrisy and as blind idealism.
There were more enemies than allies, and he died at their hands.

... So, this is not a place in the world.

This place is the end of him.
The illusion that he saw on the verge of his death, the only pride
he had within himself.
The hero that used this scenery as his weapon falls into his own darkness in the end.
The hill of swords that he reached…
His battle ends atop this hill, surrounded by rusted steel without a wielder.
He is still alone.
But he thinks there is nothing to regret if he was able to save everyone that appeared within his sight…
And he smiles in satisfaction, lets go of the sword, and crumples down.

>Zero and Heaven's Feel are fantastic
gonna try those, thanks mate.

Because he appears like a generic MC until you actually get into his head and realize just how messed up he is. Thus he is both a generic MC and a condemnation of the very idea in one character.

Fate/Extra.
Either that or CCC.

I've seen people claim they're good, but that doesn't change what they are: cash-ins. Even Ataraxia is that to an extent, but it's acceptable because it fleshes out a lot of background info that Stay Night couldn't quite cram in. It also had rad ero scenes

Someone made a post about why LOGH is so widely praised and put on such a high pedestal and I think it applies to a lot of Type Moon works just as well, maybe even more so.

The Type-Moon universe is vast, there are a ridiculous amount of entries that have multiple versions across mediums. The cost in time is high and the most devoted fans know this which causes them to do 2 things

1. Excessively praise certain aspects of it as to not call into question the possibility that they've wasted a shit load of time on something subpar.

2. Diminish the opinion of anyone who critiques an aspect of the franchise by mocking them for not investing as much time in the series by reading the original untranslated VN or partaking in all of the spin off content that definitely provides more insight into an otherwise bland character.

What are you talking about? Kiritsugu never embraced it. His entire character arc in Fate/Zero is him being unable to embrace the fact that he can't save everyone. That's why he bet everything on a childish gambit like "using an omnipotent wish machine to save everyone by force". This is something Shirou would never have done. Unlike Kiritsugu, Shirou rejected the idea of the Holy Grail from the moment he heard about it.

Shirou doesn't want to accept that he can't save everyone, but he still does, albeit begrudgingly.

Or maybe you were bullied for not going through either series and then asking dumb questions about it on thai noodle digesting websites.

>UBW is a fucking boring slog outside Gil vs Hercules.and Shirou vs Archer.
kill yourself.

Just Fatefags and their shit taste.

>Diminish the opinion of anyone who critiques an aspect of the franchise by mocking them
Usually people ask stupid questions about things that are explained directly in the media they're criticizing and then the thread blows up mocking the poster for not paying attention.
If you have a question, make sure the answer isn't in your face before asking it.

>1. Excessively praised
>2. Diminish the opinion by mocking them for not investing as much time in the series

I know you're baiting but if this is what you truly think you're overestimating your shit taste and shitty opinion. Because what your post translates to is

>1. I don't like fate and I shitpost in their threads
>2. Muh opinion should matter more if I'm an anime only faggot

fucking this
I'd also like to add to 3. Maybe they just realize you just have shit taste and you can't stand the fact that no one cares you're a contrarian.

4. Fuck you. I like what I like and don't owe you a goddamn explanation or want to hear your opinion.

It's anime, not fine dining. Jesus Christ, find some other hobby where other's can criticize you and actually help you get better.

But I do like Fate outside of Prisma Ilya

is shirou a sword autist because avalon is inside of him or is he just an autist because

Not an argument.
How can you calm others people faggot when you can't even defend your favorite show.

>Fuck you. I like what I like and don't owe you a goddamn explanation or want to hear your opinion.
You say this, and it's true, but then you get defensive when user says he doesn't like what you do like. Why can't it be true for him as well?

He embraced it post-fire when he was a broken shell of a man and acknowledged his ideals were impossible.

Blowing up the plane is also not something Shirou would ever do.

>calm
How can you call other people faggots when you can't even defend your spelling?

you're right its not an argument because i'm not dumb enough to waste time arguing with you.

It can be, but he presented the argument in the first place, putting himself in the crosshairs. By going on the offensive he invalidates any neutral stance he once had.

Noone wishes they were Shirou, anyone who thinks anyone could want to be Shirou either hasnt read the VN, or is autistic and they themselves want to be like him
Outside of liking the girls that like him

pic related

I wish I was as built as he was at what, 17?

>implying that you don't want to be shirou
I have read the VN and he is kinda like me.

ironic weebs

I can understand being this misguided if you only know 2/3s of FSN.

user, even if he blew up the plane, he absolutely hated the fact that he felt he had to do so. He never accepted it, he was just begrudgingly forced to follow the rules. Absolutely despising what you're doing it, but doing it anyway because you feel you have no other choice. When the prospect of an omnipotent wish granter was shown to him, he embraced it immediately. No matter the sacrifices, he would obtain that grail and create his ideal world by force. He would overturn the unfair laws and create a world where everyone could be happy. Even if that happiness was a false one that destroys free will and possibility, having lost so much faith in the world by this point, it was the ultimate salvation for him.

>In the Fate/Apocrypha universe, the Fourth Holy Grail War didn't occur, Shirou is still living in Fuyuki with his original surname unchanged. His personality is a lot closer to his Capsule Servant counterpart. Still having an honest and upright personality, and likely going through days with a love comedy-like tone, along with a twin-tail magic-fist user and her cheerful little sister who laughs like a high-class young lady.

>Sakura ohohohohohoing

Why is Shirou so great, lads?

Thanks for describing what makes Kiritsugu so good.

What a faggot, are you that weak or are you just scared?

Self-insert with personality. Still an autist, though that's probably why he's so popular here.

Kill yourself.

Shirou is the farthest possible thing you can be from a self insert as an MC

Sword autism is a fairly common condition.

>show

t.degenerate

I dunno I'm pretty autistic about swords too.

Gotta say I'm not a fan of Shirou Mr. Literal Deconstruction of the Hero Archetype, but I am a fan of the phrase "who says a fake can't be better than the original". I love it. Fakers are the best.

What if I really like swords and Saber?

Shiro is a self-insert because he is fulfilling the wishes of common user in Sup Forums and don't lie you WISH to be Shiro.

>kiritsugi
>good
go back to /r/anime

Kek

He's right tho. Prisma Ilya is pedo-shit.

Because he's arguably one of the most complex characters EVER created. I doubt you could name 1 character in the anime medium that has as much complexity as Shirou. C'mon, try me.

e.g.: shooting a child who has had a suicide vest strapped to them forcefully and hoped up on opium charging your squad or blocking your convoy's path

Moral of the story: The world is beautiful but out to kill you and people are shit. Even if you don't second guess yourself, it is hard not to hate yourself for killing someone who was innocent but you had no choice but to defend yourself and others lives.

Kind of like Shirou as a Guardian Spirit. Look past their motives they're all people, not that many didn't deserve it but even then i'm sure he had to kill people who were doing things against their will to protect more people..

Wrong place, reddit is 2 websites down.

Yabuki Joe.

What a cheap imitation of bait.

Saber > Sakura > Rider > Illya > Rin