Why is the Nineties so much more based and has more iconic series compared to the present time?

Why is the Nineties so much more based and has more iconic series compared to the present time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v5utszJ7ySQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>based
Fuck yourself redditor

Nostalgia goggles

Formative years for a lot of fans. You also had way less anime for shows to compete against, and I mean not just for that season, but for years you didn't have the constant volume of new stuff to drown out something like Eva. What would people have talked about in 1996? Escaflowne and Nadesico alone?

>why is old thing more iconic than new thing
Hmm

>SLUM DUNK

90s anime had 3 unique strands of art that served as a pretty good means to a diverse and high quality decade ( though on average weaker than the decade before, but not by very much).

1. Hyper Realism (Perfect Blue)
2. 80s Continuation,the middle ground between abstraction and realism (Evangelion)
3. Hyper Deformity (Clamp stuff)

1 has mostly vanished, and most anime rolls with a style that is kind of inbetween 2 and 3, but is simpler on average than either of those styles usually were. Modern character designs tend lack facial detail because it makes it easier to animate characters more fluidly. Noses are largely a thing of the past and the color palettes tend towards sterility in comparison to old (mostly) hand colored cells. Likewise the over-glossyness of digital art hurts attempts to make anime immersive and visceral.

Moeshit wasn't in full swing yet. Creators actually cared about art. The companies that produced anime weren't yet entirely turned into profit churning machines.

Just look at the amount of completely derivative shit anime out there today. Studios won't take risks when they can turn a predictable profit.

Which one are you, Sup Forumsnons? When did you start posting on Sup Forums?

Every decade is going to have a couple of iconic series, you just won't see them as iconic while they're still popular.

Keit-Ai. I'm from the future.

Because your mom loves swallowing jizz

I'd say that the 2010s have produced quite a lot of series that will be considered icons / classics for decades to come. Even just looking at a single year as an example, 2011 gave us Madoka Magica and Steins;Gate.

>Nineties so much more based
If you love the nineties so much, why not just go back? you piece of shit

>10 years later
>still a newfag

>tfw underageposting since reddit era but haven't been in reddit once

That'd be hard when he wasn't born yet

>Projecting this hard

NSA.

The nineties was a special time in a lot of ways if you didn't live through it you may never understand.

Best magical girl series.

I remember the Habbo Hotel raids, /i/nsurgency, all that shit.

no

90s had best girls since the 80s.

It wasn't really

2010, the entire time I've been here I've felt like the site's just coming to its close and now I realize I've been here for half of its existence.

90's would have been perfect if Ranma 1/2 never existed

I don't visit Sup Forums anymore but these Moto G threads were kinda fun.

>Moeshit wasn't in full swing yet
wew

Ranma was the biggest fandom at the time until Harry Potty came along.

The 90's didn't have anime accessible to people in the west the way we have it today.

Today shit comes on TV in Japan and is watched with subtitles hours later in America. Remeber what it was like back then? Something had to more or less reach a certain status before being translated and crossing the pond. Usually it was commercial interest behind releasing in other countries, so a lot of the smaller shows never reached us. Nowadays a lot of it is driven by fans that translate, and make things accessible to us ordinary folk.

So there's a lot of bias involved. It wasn't better or worse, but selection was a lot smaller.

2012 and still not so bad as many of you.

Because you weren't aware/didn't watch much anime by the 90s, that's why.

Your brain is still underage shitty frogposter.

>moeshit, putting art on a pedestal, muhh jews, derivative shit?, risk shit and double spacing
Couldn't you fit more shit your post next time, Sup Forums-kun?

But tons of stuff that never made it officially from the 90s is now available through fansubs - and it is through watching those shows on top of the old official releases, and keeping up with new anime that people come to the conclusion that the 90s was better.

>Moeshit wasn't in full swing yet.

Around the 80s, the japanese banking system was giving money out like crazy, that's why there were so many shows of over 100 episodes. This raised the expected quality of animation a lot. By the 90s good clean animation was a standard, but the nips' banking system stopped loaning as much money, so shows had to become shorter, with a few notable exceptions of course. With that, plots had to become more complex than they were before. This left just the right amount of wiggle room for experimenting. A lot of early to mid 90s ovas are the result of this as well.

An entire generation of animators and designers who grew up inspired by western visual media from the psychedelic boom of the 70s entered the industry in the 90s. At that point, it wasn't just jazz, coca cola, western pastorals and the space race ideal that had infiltrated japan. If you think back, 70s and 80s anime were mostly inspired by those four. The boom of psychology in the west during the 50s and 60s also finally made its way into japan around the 90s. That's when cults and pyramid schemes started appearing there as well. It also caused the emergence of lite motives in anime which had mixed in western and eastern schools of thought, but the mixture was still non-homogeneous. The result was something never before seen. Shit like Lain, basically.

I hate to go back to talking about the japanese banking system, but it was around the 90s that people were steadily losing their jobs because a lot of companies were going bankrupt due to the country's economical circumstances. That introduced a darker, more hopeless mindset to the general public and made "edgier" shows more marketable. It was also around that time that the Y2K cult was the most prominent. The time was ripe for shows like Evangelion.

This should be the gist of it. I don't want to be that guy, but I'm sure an art history major could easily write a phd thesis on the subject. I wouldn't be surprised if it has already been done, even

The more things change...

I first found Sup Forums in 2008 but didn't really start coming regularly until 2010.

>1994
>the economy is going great

This is slightly offtopic, but right now a lot of people avoid older shows because they look aged, unprofessionally animated, and bland to them. In terms of visuals, one of the main selling points of anime prior to the 00's were the colorful new-looking visuals.

If you play an episode of sailor moon or evangelion on your new lcd/led tv or monitor, the colors would look washed out, and highlights look beige instead of "shiny". That's because older shows' colors were adjusted for crt tvs and they display shit differently. That's the same reason lettering was either always large or illegible. Despite the fact that crt tvs had a lower resolution, you could still watch a 480p video on a 32 inch crt tv and it would look very crisp, despite a lack of detail. Visual design was always based around what could be displayed on that kind of monitor. If you sit down and watch an old dvd of some anime on a crt tv that hasn't been worn out from use, the show would look just as modern and new as things coming out right now, especially if it came out after 1985.

Most people don't know the difference in how things look on lcd/led in comparison to crt though, or that there's a difference at all. This is why people get the impression that everything filmed for tv before the 00's looks dated. That's why people always attribute enjoying older shows to nostalgia goggles.

this image is edited, here's the original

Where my flipbros at?

youtube.com/watch?v=v5utszJ7ySQ

>Outer Senshi transformation music starts playing

2007. Didn't start posting consistently until mid-2008 though

>Sailor Uranus

Interesting, though I watch my old anime on LCD and I still think that it generally looks better than new anime save for some problems with going off model once in a while. Sure new shows have more fluidity and consistency, but the actual art it'self seems bland in comparison to me. And ultimately animation is there to make the art come alive. You need something interesting to bring to life in the first place, the technical mastery of fluid animation is only as valuable as the art it's animating in the first place. Sometimes it works great, Konosuba feels great with shiny colors, simplistic designs, and that ultra polished look. But if you want to watch a giant robot tear a monster in half and watch it's gut's spill out on the pavement then having the dirtier, more detailed, and "heavier" looking art that you get from older shows just delivers it better.

anime in the 90 was cheap for many countries

I would suck off her masculine clitoris.

2009 or 10, just made it

Who else watched this shit?

>less anime, yet longer anime at the same time

REMEBER WHEN RECAPS WERE 20 episodes in instead of 5, 10 like now?

One thing I don't miss about the 1990s is the reuse of stock footage.

you still see reuse.

Not like back in the 1990s, no.

Shonen action and mahou shoujo still does that.

But seasonal anime doesn't, which is the majority of anime nowadays.

It's like saying we still use horse carriages in order to deflect the fact that we don't use them as much as before. You're being disingenuous.

>tfw Oldfag who got to see fumes of Oriignalfags' memes and shit
Desu's a 04-06 maymay tho'.

>But seasonal anime doesn't
You should watch more seasonal anime.

Stock footage isn't as common in seasonal anime as it is in long-runners, mong.

>Rei clone in better position than Rei
>LIna in fisrt place
>Duo in 8th
>Brown Shinji
Based nips

Still seem more anime than 99% of Sup Forums.
I really don't know why I started visiting this casual ass shithole. I'm mostly on /m/ nowadays.

Mix between originalfag and oldfag.

2009. Came for Code Gayass threads, stayed because couldn't leave.

>based
trollface

>everytime someone rants about the 80's or 90's

YES NO MAYBE

posting on my national chan since 2008 or something
and then started posting on Sup Forums since 2009-2010 if i remember correctly
so am i new or oldfag?

Why has Rei continued to be relevant while Sailor Moon has been pushed aside?

Nigga you can't be serious.

Less stuff aired every year.

Oy vey, anime is the new legal drugs, and we all want some eternal bliss from watching what is interesting to us, instead of some mundane events by mundane characters doing mundane things.

i started in 2005, but i started posting in 2006

Nobody gives a shit about Sailor Moon in 2017 exactly because of the abortion known as Sailor Moon Crystal.

Rei is so superior, holy shit. Asukafags, why do these losers even exist?

Asukafags are fat westerners trying to self-insert into NGE.

Technically a newfag/oldfag cusp. I was a refugee from something awful.

90s was the middle of the post bubble economy and anime was confusingly one of the few industries not 100% fucked, but they were still hanging on by a thread. Big hits were still expected and so certain creators were more willing to take risks, although many of them failed initially. The financial musical chairs needed to keep the industry afloat and growing reduced resources and pay while increasing hours. It resulted in a lot of shitty anime, but also forced those animators with any actual interest in their craft to make the most of fairly minimal time, tech, and supplies. It's what resulted in much of their work producing more clever animation than real artistic quality; but that's a perfectly acceptable balance to strike. Additionally, in a field where pay was shrinking, fewer and fewer new hires were coming on board studios, and fewer still stayed on long enough to forward their careers. It's also why the mid-late 200Xs saw a huge rise in shitty otaku fanboys trying to break into the job field once the economy had stabilized. The lack of a proper mentor system meant that a lot of what had been developed over the 90s totally skipped a generation of animators as well: most modern animators who weren't around in the 80s and 90s didn't actually learn any of their animation skills from other well studied or well practiced animators, they were largely self taught and they're subsequently mostly garbage. The indie games scene contributed a lot to that.

oldfag, but i never posted, only lurked.

You guys brought the bar so low that i no longer have shame on posting an opinion on a fucking anonymous board like another retard.
90's had more talents and less industry jews, now it's mostly computer animated and outsourced with the intention to sell. It's also disgusting how now every season has a filler isekai, slice of life, shoujo, that pretty much exist's to fill a spot.

Back then we had azumanga, NGE, Hell even shittier shows like RahXephon where good. Compare that to umaru, hero academia or any other trash anime made to sell and the difference is abysmal. Even newfaggotry anime's like Code Geass, bleach , etc had some good parts.

just the medium running its inevitable course into irrelevance and obsolescence, get another hobby if you don't care for it anymore

Late 05 ish, but more like early 06 for actual time spent posting.

Yotsubato! > Azumanga desu famalamadingdong

Nice to see my nigga Xellos and my homo Kaworu up there

>Mawaru Pinguindrum is not the most iconic show of our present time and not the best show 2010-2020
Really makes me wonder if OP has even seen it

11 years ago.

>thinking VN adaptation will become iconic classic
Holy shit modern anime fans truly are cancer.

No overuse of CGI, moe, and more risks. Less saturation of a dozen of the same things.

Reading this is pure cringe. Truly sheds a light on what a bunch ego-masturbating muh superior taste, muh superior knowledge faggots "nerds" always have been.

I discovered Sup Forums accidentally around '09 because I typed the letter "b" into Google and pressed enter. The first result it brought up was Sup Forums. Didn't start coming here regularly until 2010 just to lurk and then I posted regularly on Sup Forums back in 2011. I mostly heard of this site's history and whatnot through ED. Speaking of ED I haven't seen that site in a while and I'm afraid to even look.

I know its a average show, but it is it worth watching?
And I mean the anime they clipped like 3 seconds of footage from, i think i remember its name enough to google it.