MadVR v0.92.3 finally supports extended screenshot functionality

>added extended screenshot functionality, new settings page etc

As of madVR version 0.92.3 soft coded subtitles are rendered onto the screenshot when using MPC-HC with XySubFilter. This behaviour, among other, can be disabled via the control panel. The screenshots are furthermore now rendered using high quality scaling algorithms instead of relying on the same algorithm set for viewing video.

Other urls found in this thread:

madshi.net/madVR.zip
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1637684#post1637684
forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168282
github.com/Cyberbeing/xy-VSFilter/releases
web.archive.org/web/20160318112541/https://files.nyaa.se/HOW_DID_I_PLAYED_BACK.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>madshi.net/madVR.zip

Bout time

I've had screenshots with subs when using madVR for years now. Don't remember how I set it up though.

Fuck yeah.

>updated yesterday
>didnt really take a look at the changelog
>see this
Nice.
Same here, I cant remember what I changed too, I think it was the optimize sub quality for performance.

this may be due the fact that you're either using the internal subtitle renderer or
xy-VSFilter.

>forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1637684#post1637684
>This limitation exists because madVR outputs screenshots at original video size, prior to resizing the video frame. Without doing A) or B) the subtitle will only be alpha-blended into the video frame after resizing. Removing this limitation is something on madshi's to-do list, but no timeline that I'm aware of. For the time being you'll need to make do with the above, if you want subtitles in your screenshots with XySubFilter.

this was posted on 21st July 2013 and most likely had been an issue beforehand but it's finally implemented.

I think it's worth mentioning that you may adjust the settings in the control panel to "create screenshots with a custom zoom factor" and select "encoded video size". otherwise, the screenshots are going to be rendered at the current window size by default. that's why the image in the OP has been rendered at 1051 by 591 pixels. but apparently setting it to "encoded video size" messes with the position of the subtitles

Is there any reason I shouldn't be using VSFilter?

XySubFilter is being advertised as being able to produce "High resolution subtitle rendering" and among other.

>forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168282
>High resolution subtitle rendering (XySubFilter only)
>External support for PGS/HDMV subtitles (XySubFilter only)
>New Style Override Dialog (XySubFilter only)
>Force Default Style (XySubFilter only)
>Support U+10000-U+10FFFF UTF-8 encoded character (XySubFilter only)

I haven't had any issues in the last three to four years while using XySubFilter with MPC-HC. I think the original developer intended to replace xy-VSFilter by XySubFilter in the future but ended up abandoning both projects. for comparison, the latest version of xy-VSFilter was commited on the 6th December 2014 , while the latest version of XySubFilter was commited on the 16th October 2015.
>github.com/Cyberbeing/xy-VSFilter/releases

I think that both subtitle renderer will be sufficient for your everyday needs but I personally prefer XySubFilter over xy-VSFilter for being rather cutting edge in comparison to the previous

>but apparently setting it to "encoded video size" messes with the position of the subtitles
I have reported this issue to their bug tracker while hoping for its soon resolution

>2017
>anything but mpv

My setup of mpc-hc and madvr was made in 2013 and I was too lazy to update componenets/configs since then. It does debanding, it does leveling, it does nice upscaling. What else do you need?
Also still laughing at mpv faggots who have barely usable GUI, but they are proud because they copy-pasted config file they have no understanding of whatsoever.

Then you don't have NGU yet.

how to export madvr settings?

there is an "settings.bin" respectively "settings.bak" in the root directory of madVR. the settings are additionally stored in a registry key located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR (considering you are using Windows, run "regedit.exe" to access the registry). as far as I know, the settings won't be altered or deleted when uninstalling madVR

Thanks. Last time I updated it everything reset.

meme player

I don't use madVR as I play my anime on a toaster, but how come it took so long for this feature to be included?

>mpv played videos slightly better than MPC-hc but then they dropped Windows XP support

most likely because of the way madVR rendered screenshots until now, see . furthermore, this issue occurred only when using XySubfilter. the subtitles were correctly rendered onto the screenshot using the internal subtitle renderer of MPC-HC or using xy-VSFilter. so, it wasn't exactly an issue that HAD to be fixed in the near future

as a side note, you don't necessarily need to have high performing hardware for running madVR with its default settings. I currently run madVR v0.92.3 with MPC-HC 1.7.3.112 on a five-year-old budget notebook powered by an AMD E2-1800 APU (2x 1.7 Ghz) with Radeon HD 7430 graphics sporting 384 MB DDR3 serving as its VRAM. the video output is visibly better compared to VLC and it runs perfectly fine considering this low-performing hardware

My computer is about 10 years old and I'm using the integrated graphics because the PCI slot crapped itself.
>Intel Pentium E2160
>VIA Chrome9 IGP (128 mb)
>896 megabytes of RAM
It doesn't support the version of Pixel Shader madVR requires so I don't really have a choice but to use MPC-HC with xy-VSFilter.
Not to mention that 720p videos don't really run as smoothly as I would like anyway, adding more software would only bog down the video.

I thought mpchc is kill.

What's the recommended settings now for madVR? I used to use Nyaa's settings but obviously they're gone now

Holy shit, that's old. I bet you still run your OS from a mechanical hard disk drive. For 250€ you can get an AMD 6-core with 8gb ram, a half-decent 2gb vram video card and a 256GB ssd.

I'm not from a first-world country, so these are quite expensive here; I would've bought a new computer if I could.
I know what I should get, but for now I just make do with what's available to me.

unless no active developers are joining the project, pretty much. at least for the stable release.

I don't think there any hard rules for setting madVR up, just generally accepted guidelines. at the end it comes to personal preference, especially concerning sharpness, dithering and filtering. if you are looking for the original playback guide from nyaa.se, it's still archived:
>web.archive.org/web/20160318112541/https://files.nyaa.se/HOW_DID_I_PLAYED_BACK.txt

I had to switch to VLC because mpc-hc had problems with 5.1 audio playback - it was too quiet.

MPC-HC is kill but the individual components (madVR, LAV filters, assfiltermod, whatever else one might use) are not. There's no reason to stop using it until an all-around better alternative shows up.

>MPC-HC is kill
No.

MPC-HC is as kill as uTorrent 2.2.1.
If it's the best at what it does and doesn't have any drawbacks, why does it need more development?

>MPC-HC is kill
It's really not, though. I've heard that some developers have joined in to.

Modern kids grow up with every app on their phones constantly updating automatically. They are not used to programs just working.

new developers have join in to help the MPC-HC dev*

>not using mpv

No need for the green.
Not using mpv.

uTorrent fucking sucks, there's no reason not to use qBitTorrent. It's open source and has more features, especially the search engine with plugins to all popular trackers.

>they dropped XP support
it's shit

>still using xp

lol

It takes screenshots at the DAR instead of the storage resolution too. This is 702x480.

imouto.my/tutorials/madvr/
if you have the patience to read it all.

>no reason not to use STALLEDtorrent
I can think of one.
Another is the devs are obviously incompetent if they need 20MB to do what uTorrent does in 391k.

It's not like I have any choice.
Besides, it does the job. Sure, some software has dropped it but it still runs just fine.
I don't get why one would create a light player just to make it unavailable on older OSes later on. It worked really nicely in 2013-2014, and they suddenly decided to drop it.

Apparently I have not updated my MPC since the 5 of July 2014.