Sup Sup Forums...

Sup Sup Forums, I wanted to share some thoughts on why I think Evangelion remains one of the most polarizing anime of all time, and why I think it may go down in history as one of the greatest pieces of art ever created. I'll keep it brief, and somewhat open to encourage discussion.

The Evangelion, or rather piloting it, represents taking personal responsibility for one's self. Adulthood if you will. All the relationships in the series, represent both the simultaneous struggle that exists within every human being for control over itself, and also, how being an individual creates problems via empathy and understanding/misunderstanding via responsibility. Shinji is at the center of it, flanked by Asuka, Rei, and many other characters. We are all Shinji, and we are all every character.

The message, above all, is that if you do not accept responsibility for yourself, you will lose everyone and everything you care about and your entire world will end. Not only that, but you'll still be alive after it all, and you'll still be faced with the same problems in the aftermath. The final scene of EoE shows us that WE CAN CHOOSE TO REACT DIFFERENTLY, WHICH IS ALSO THE THEME OF THE REBUILDS. This is why Shinji tries to choke Asuka, and why Asuka suddenly realizes she can choose to show compassion instead of perpetuating the cycle of destruction between them.

I feel like the existential depth of the show is destroyed by the shipping and 'muh its fake deep'. Everything in Eva means something, it is legitimately genius in the way it characterizes the human condition, male/female relationships, parental relationships, etc. To be honest, I know that it's rejected by certain people, because they are still children and they cannot accept responsibility for themselves in any capacity. This self hatred, is then externalized on the show lmao.

Fuck Sup Forums, watch Eva again and cry, and then tomorrow when you wake up, get in the fucking ROBOT.

>The Evangelion, or rather piloting it, represents taking personal responsibility for one's self.

As is the case with every single mecha anime, the giant mechs are simply a way for the protagonist to have the degree of world effect that viewers would like to have. The entire mecha genre is a fantasy about being given (literally) larger-than-life influence over events.

didn't read lol

where the fuck is 4.0 nigger

I'd disagree slightly, I think the mech isn't used to give larger than life influence over events, but rather to emphasize that everything you do in life is in fact life or death, and has serious consequences for your future.

When you begin to live life with a degree of 'fantasy', aka walking around believing what you do is important and has meaning, that is where the 'solution' is. The mechs are just used to drive that point home via hyperbole. We are all Shinji, driving the Evangelion, which is a metaphor for the control you have over your own life.

>polarizing

Eva has almost universal positive acclaim. It's probably one of the least polarizing anime. Shit like SAO is polarizing, with most people either loving or hating it.

I stopped reading after that, since you're using words that you clearly don't know.

Evangelion it is about you must be are more sociable and don't avoid other people. Thats all. But Kaworu is the best girl.

I don't have anything to say other than I mostly agree and appreciate the effort that went into this OP.

Sorry that Sup Forums is full of retards.

>Trying to be smart on Sup Forums
>Thinking on Sup Forums
Oh how far we have fallen.

I can't see anything wrong with what you're saying, but unfortunately I predict that within 20 posts this tread will degenerate into an Asuka vs Rei fight (which is a waste of time because we all already know Asuka best girl)

I don't mean to be condescending but when I read 'it may go down in history as one of the greatest pieces of art ever created' I legit thought OP was trolling.

I appreciate the attempt to analyze but you seem young and have a lot of silly thoughts. You're punching above your weight.

Except Asuka is utter garbage, and Rei is far better.

Reifags aren't true Eva fans. Asuka is objectively the best girl

Asukafags aren't true Eva fans. Rei is objectively the best girl

Good work, user, and ahead of schedule as well. Shame about your wrong opinion, though.

>says asuka is best girl
>posts shikinami, a fake Asuka made to copy parts of Rei while deleting the only parts of the Asuka character that makes it Asuka

Wow. Are you even aware of your own delusion?

That's the spirit.

It certainly was great during its time but do you guys think you're overanalyzing it? The creators didn't seem to understand half the things they pulled from the bible.

Utena did EVA better EVA.

> 2017
> 2 dragonball threads, 2 instrumentality threads, tenchi muyo on front page

episode 26 is better than EoE, I understand they can compliment each other. But as an ending, 26 of the TV series just takes the cake.

A lot of the plot and the religious symbolism is too vague to make any real sense. The genius lies in the motivations of the characters, though - they are genuinely complex and well thought out.

you don't watch eva for the plot

I dunno man, the MC has been done a thousand times before, he's your typical indecisive MC that was very popular in the day. Like I said it was good in its time and I did like it but in retrospect, it's about above average.

It's part of it though and deserves to be included in the overall judgement towards the show. We just can't ignore that conveniently. If the core message it was trying to convey compensates for the lack of thorough research about the things they decide to insert in the plot then yeah maybe it's cool but I don't think it did.

This is why I said I 'mostly agree'.

If you think that anybody that isn't a weeb is ever going to consider Japanese cartoons involving 14 year old children with neon hair piloting supermechs and jacking off over each other a legitimate art form you're mistaken.

Anyone that used this argument has obviously never lurked an eva thread before, where it is shot down every single time without fail, and is therefore not on the same page and not worth responding to.

OMEDETOU
M
E
D
E
T
O
U

Everyone knows Rei is a nudist.

2deep4u?

This is a good analysis. For all its visibility among viewers it's rare to see anyone put any thought into it at all. Pre-accepted opinions on Eva are just too easy to buy into, it seems.

>Pre-accepted opinions on Eva are just too easy to buy into, it seems.
That is a significant problem to eva. People just read basic shit on evageeks and accept it.

I didn't read anything until the 2nd or 3rd time I saw the series. Unless you count Childhood's End as Eva-related.
So my first impression was that of a story about transcendence, depression and high technology. The memes and waifu wars came much later, and always kind of cheapened the original experience.

>polarizing
God, I fucking hate this word.

What is the most ambitious tv anime since Evangelion? I think it's a bit worrying that there is no obvious candidate.

I guess there where shows as ambitious, just not as good.

They simply weren't at the right place at the right time. Global capital and the internet only happened for the first time once.

Because most anime fans are brainlets