tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnmovingPlaid
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

tell me what it is so I can watch it and i'll get back to you

it was great, everything about it
one of the best GONZO shows out there

youtube.com/watch?v=FRnv0GYNG-4

WON'T SEE ME COMING

UNTIL I STRIKE

Because it's literally The count of Montecristo.
it was great but it's literally the book with a futuristic setting

I get chills every time I hear that track.

It's also the best adaptation of the novel.

A rare example of something you should watch before reading or researching the original material. Same plot as the book but totally different story structure and perspective.

A masterpiece made by GONZO, unbelievable

>count starts crying
>it turns to laughter
>ed kicks in
C H I L L S

Honestly, it was interesting. But I still think the book was much better. That said, for an anime adaption of a classic novel, it surprisingly impressed me. It took the original story in a different direction.

>an over 10 years old anime based on classical literature
>when most of Sup Forums is underage
geez, user, I don't know why, but it's one of my favorite shows, the artstyle fitted perfectly

>tfw no Haydee gf

I hum the OP every now and then.

Probably the most faithful adaption the book has ever had, too.

>I mean that
>Mercedes isn't the Love Interest, she's a good woman and thus actually loyal to that asshole she married you goddamn hacks trumps sci-fi setting for faithfulness

youtube.com/watch?v=l1g-drupCIQ

In high school I wrote a book report about it after watching the anime. Thankfully, I also checked spark-notes and removed the scifi bits before submitting.

>Because it's literally The count of Montecristo.
It changes so many things it might as well be an original story.

Too good for nu/a/
youtu.be/tOjUW5pQ0zE

This.

I ejoyed it but it did change a lot of things.

Because it aired like 14 years ago or some shit.
Still one of my favourite anime.

>It's also the best adaptation of the novel.

I agree the anime was good but sadly that's not the compliment you think it is

So was Peppo just a regular trap or did he go all the way and get his dick cut off? Was pic related a tranny too? With Peppo's reveal I feel like this question means something else now.

Just finished it today. Holy shit, it was one hell of a ride. Should I read the book it was loosely based on?

Yes. They're pretty different, but both the book and the anime are great.

Yeah, the adaptations are terrible.

Agreed, almost too many things were changed and for reasons that make me wonder if they understood why they happened in the novel. The end was the worst honestly.

Was just a trap, even in the book.

I remember seeing it during ads. How old is it?
I feel it is from back when I was like 8 so around 05? Never got to watch it tho since there was only one anime channel on TV and it aired during school hours, wanted to watch it due to nostalgia but I'm too busy watching moeshit and doing university stuff

2004-2005, one of the first subbed anime I remember watching as it aired.

Is the original as homo as the anime? I have the original at home, but it's such a thick son of a bitch I'm worried about how invested I can get in it and whether I can finish it at all.

Peppo exists. Franz isn't gay. Euginie is.

This track is amazing.

I loved the ED too
youtube.com/watch?v=dcnWAzwEd6o

Absolutely amazing anime and book. The Count is legitimately one of my favorite characters. Gankutsuou probably has my favorite ED lead ins too.

He did nothing wrong.

It's a pretty memorable show, especially with the visual style choices they made. Shame they didn't try something similarly interesting when they had their hands on Romeo and Juliet.

Sup Forums has plenty tastes

Still one of my all time favorites. They just don't make thrillers like this one in anime ever.

This shit is always lit, give me chills every time.

Its literally "The Count of Monte Christo in spessss.

There is nothing wrong with that.

>Romeo and Juliet.

Oh yeah that happened

What happened to Danglars in the end?

You all are splendid motherfuckers. This show doesn't get nearly as much love and it's cool as shit that people are discussing it.

I wish more anime tried to experiment with this crazy art style.

I'm about 4/5ths of the way through right now, funnily enough.
I would recommend it, it's a very enjoyable book and is pretty engaging despite its size.

The anime was a pretty good adaptation, some of the original stuff was actually pretty clever.

Did anyone dislike the artstyle? I recommended this to a friend and he said he couldn't bear to watch it.
We're no friends anymore

I watched it because of the art style.
I was not disappointed.

Interesting, I knew about Eugenie and Franz but not Peppo.

Okay I'll promote the fucker to toilet book for starters.

Yeah, the use of patterns was absolutely fantastic. Must have cost them a fortune in animation but it really sells the over the top baroque look associated with French aristocracy, while subtlety maintaining the scifi atmosphere, as the level of tech needed to have such cloth readily available is well beyond our own capabilities. I mean if you think about it each article of clothing is using tech that could be used in active camo/invisibility cloaks yet its being used for leisure wear and high fashion.

>gonzo
Did they fucked up the second half of the show, like they always did?

3dpd Haydee from soviet adaptation is sexier

You think the clothes actually are made with high tech optical fibers? I never considered that, always thought it was just regular pattern. As you said the concept does make the show even cooler though.

Nah, the climax and the finale are actually good. I always come back to episode 13/14/15/16 too. The homoest, best parts imo.

The only other show I can remember that had a similar style was Mononoke and that was in fucking 2007.

Mononoke looks like ukiyo-e woodblock prints though, slightly different.

Ended up running away, lost in space with tons of gold he probably stole. Implied to have gone craycray and soon to be dead, I think.

If it was a regular pattern the patern would distort and twist during movement and around the natural contours of the human frame. but when watching the show the patterns dont do tnhbat but rather apper to act intependatn of the wearers position or movement/lack thereof, almost like the article of clothing is a cutout/window into a background that has the pattern.

This trailer shows what I mean. look at how when they move the patterns don't.

youtube.com/watch?v=qaG9Kkkdfx0

>look at how when they move the patterns don't.
Shaft does this all the time to save budget in shows like Hidamari sketch

Just felt like a stylistic choice to go fuck layers and shit and nothing particularly deep.

You just reminded me of the original announcement trailer. It's interesting because you can see some of the things they changed for the final show.

youtube.com/watch?v=SROa-rZIteM

>this trailer shows what I mean. look at how when they move the patterns don't
Don't you think that's more of a matter of the post production making their life easier though? How much more work do you think making every single pattern behave realistically would add to what already looks like a huge workload?
Still, I'll accept your headcanon because it's cool.

I love the art style.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnmovingPlaid

>linking tvtropes
Kill yourself

I don't see why people hate it so much, it's rather useful when you need to provide a definition or examples of works using a technique or a plot device. Might as well link it.

well there was one

Sup Forums and TVTropes haven't gotten along since the great loli purge and arbitrary censorship, and for good reason.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info.
I won't stop though, lolis are trash and should be purged anyways.

>lolis are trash

You're free to think that, but keep in mind they essentially went back on their own stated polices in return for ad revenue. The reaction was entirely justified.

My problem with it is that while well produced it shits all over the themes of the book. Changing the focus to Albert and adding a bunch of gay undertones is one thing, but portraying Edmond as some kind of Faustian villain who literally makes a pact with a demon just because they don't find revenge to be morally justifiable or thought it would be more interesting is pretty hard to swallow for someone who loved the book.

I actually really wanted to start a thread about it.
Really liked it.
Anyone has good heydee pictures?

It fixed the shitty original ending, so it's the best in my book.

Oh look someone defending lolis on Sup Forums
What a surprise

I don't keep up with or care for this sort of drama, but okay, I'll keep that in mind.

Have a loli Haydee.

Nice, got any adult haydees though?

I don't know how anyone can stand the CG. It aged so badly

It stumped on the Montecristo's spirit.

More or less than the adaptation starring GĂ©rard Depardieu as the count?
Personally, though I never watched it, I'd be tempted to say less.

The anime made Montecristo a tragic hero, while in the book he was almost getting off on his revenge, and his the final act of forgiveness was not dictated by the mercy, but because there was still fire in his heart for Mercedes.h
He spared the boy only because his mother opened his eyes on how monstrous he had become. Still there was no remorse about the revenge itself, only about innocent which were pulled in his schemes, and he only stopped because he seen that he lost the way. Also, haydee won.

Anime Fernand >>> Book Fernand
Book Villefort >>> Anime Villefort
Danglars is Danglars

But The Count of Monte Cristo is a Faustian villain consumed by revenge likened to a vampire or the angel of death in the book. He says himself he sold his soul so that he could enact divine judgement on his enemies. The difference is once he succeeds he just fucks off with his waifu instead of crashing and burning.

The book demonizes him too, except the book lets him get away with it all and recieve nothing but reward for his descent into darkness purely for the sake of revenge.
By switching the focus to Albert and changing the ending, I felt it actually properly adressed the self-admitted immorality of the Count's actions.

He was getting off on his revenge in the anime too. Don't you remember the wicked almost ahegao tier faces and streched out disturbing laughing sequences he got? Moreover I don't think it was mercy that dictated his final act of forgiveness/demise in the anime, but his love for Albert.

Book:
>The court system is flawed in the sense that no verdict could be severe enough for the crimes the traitors commited. The punishment Count delivered is just and he did nothing wrong.

Gankutsuou:
>Lol he got possessed by a demon while in prison, revenge is bad, m'kay?

I still liked the series.

Sounds about right
I was surprised how much the book focused on Maximillian's relationship with the Villefort family but I liked the way they resolved their conflict more than what the anime did.

Why can't I find such a stunningly looking show in 1080p? Why are there barely any encodes?!

What the hell is a gankutsuou?

>MON AMI!
The true patrician anime

Is the anime ACTUALLY good? I usually don't like it when they change the source material too much.

This.

This anime hurt me twice severely, but it was worth it.

Why else would we still talk about it more than 10 years after it was released?

The french is terrible though, I couldn't help but skip through it.

Posting ancient images

In which episode was this? I want to rewatch the moment.

Episode 15 I think

This Look for the moment the count brings Albert to his spaceship and smoke hashish with him in bathrobes that could almost count as implied sex until he dumps him under the pretext something bad happened to his father. That's when it happens.

The closest recent show I can think of is Hand Shakers. Didn't go so well. It's visual vomit: the show.