Is it just me or does no anime series, nor movie follow the classical unities?

Is it just me or does no anime series, nor movie follow the classical unities?
Why does no director even try? It would be harder for a series but a movie would be possible.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_unities

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_unities
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The third one is kind of vague because what do they mean by "one place" and how large can that place be? A room, a building, a block, a city, etc? I don't know if there are any that follow all three but I'm sure there are some that follow one or two.

Is it just me or does Sakura induce rock-hard erections?

Tomoya feels that way I imagine.

Anime, being episodic, by definition must follow different rules than the three unities, which are meant for a story being told in a single, theatrical production.

I think a building is the limit. A city is too much, it's no supposed to compress geography, hard to do within the limits of a city.
Maybe a block could work too.

The first unity is easy enough on it's own, but it's time and place that I can't think of any examples for. The train section of Baccano would be a good example if it were alone and not part of the greater whole of the series.

What about anime movies? Also you could take each episode individually maybe.

The manga Homunculus diverges from it occasionally but it mostly takes place in front of and inside a hotel building and in the park right in front of it. The time one is easy for movies but unless a show is like 24 it's almost never going to take place within a 24 hour period.

Because why constrain yourself?
>not liking well handed subplots
>not liking non chronological stuff
The 3rd one is too vague though, does it mean you should remain in the same place for at least 24h according to the 2nd one?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_unities
Aristotle thought bees came from dead oxen. He's not really great to go by for most things.

Those are rules for theatre which is an entirely different experience from film or animation. That should be obvious. Just look at the rules, it's very clear that they support theatre because of its formal qualities.

The format of a television series doesn't stop the series from adhering to the unities.

Rokka no Yuusha actually comes pretty close, eight or nine out of the twelve episodes have all 3 of them checked off.

The unities only really make sense in the theater, where the stage is a necessarily permanent and discrete object. Packing days and weeks and grand intrigue into a small space with a finite cast can potentially render the story ridiculous.
Classical Hollywood obeyed its own version of the unities, since it evolved out of simply pointing a fixed camera at a stage. Special effects and new camera technology blew that out and replaced it with rules built around capturing dynamic action instead of carefully constructed theatrical drama.
In animation, there are no spacial limits to speak of. The voice actors exist in an infinitely large or small world that is invisible to the audience until brought into being through the artists' lens.
Space Dandy is a perfect illustration of this. Other than the main characters, there's no unity of style or logic to any of it, but it functions as a whole because animation is an epic medium.

that's natural

Aristotle is a faggot and their plays are shit.
You should be ashamed.

aristotle fucked your sister dude

That sounds like shit.

>Why does no director of Japanese cartoons try to follow the rules of ancient Greek plays?

A small sample of movies that have done it

Bicycle Thieves (1948)
Rope (1948)
High Noon (1952)
12 Angry Men (1957)
Through a Glass Darkly (1961)
Knife in the Water (1962)
Stalker (1979)
My Dinner with Andre (1981)
The Breakfast Club (1985)
Clue (1985)
Die Hard (1988)
Do The Right Thing (1989)
"The Chinese Restaurant" (1991 episode of Seinfeld)
Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Le Dîner de Cons (1998)
Deterrence (1999)
Collateral (2004)
God of Carnage (2006)
The Man From Earth (2007)
Buried (2010)
Compliance (2012)
Dredd (2012)

reservoir dogs did nothing of the sort

>let's follow some arbitrary rules for telling a story just because

He wasn't great at biology, but was a fantastic ethicist. Why not discuss his model of a play?

the inherent structures of theatrical art are radically opposed to the inherent structures of cinematic art

Why listen to a guy with no game talk about plays?

Why should they try? Theu have no reason to place artificial limits to the stories they tell just to appease some rules a greek guy made up thiusands of years ago. Like half of what's airing this season is an adaption anyway

Why would you even make an anime if you're going to follow rules for ancient theater? Just make a stage production then.

I feel like Tatami Galaxy kind of meets some of that criteria if you were to stretch it a little or gave some leeway.

> The manga Homunculus diverges from it occasionally
>occasionally
I think you might want to refresh your memory. They go to the doctor's apartment, the peepshow, that girl's house, the yakuza office, MC's office, the docks, etc.

>Bicycle Thieves
What? That takes place all over Rome. A bunch of these stretch the "single place" thing.

Yeah if you are allowed to stretch the "place" thing then a lot of anime qualify for this if you take them as single episodes. Some SoL shows will qualify for it as they are even though just being inside a school building most of the time.

Because the unities, like Plato's forms, are outdated nonsense.