Reminder that this was the original trailer for Madoka Magica

Reminder that this was the original trailer for Madoka Magica.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=6CTHwEZK2JA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OrgpX-_bFqM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ArGWxjYCnA
m.youtube.com/watch?v=7IBk2VW4YTw
youtube.com/watch?v=qTeM68aOpMM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Wow, this sure looks like a kid-friendly show, there's no way Urobuchi can make this cute shit edgy, right?

>Remove
I forgot about the guy in her class with a book instead of a laptop like evryone else.

Looks like generic moeshit!

It wasn't lying, anyhow. It makes it look like it's going to be more sentimental than anything.

Now the OP, now that was a lie. The animation, not the lyrics. The lyrics were brilliant.

Having the OP at the end in episode 10 and realizing they were about Homura's struggle was fucking genius.

Pretty boring trailer in terms of what they actually show, makes it look generic.
I guess that was sorta the idea though.

They tried to play it off like Madoka was a kid-friendly, lighthearted Magical Girl show, to mess with viewer expectations.

Still, they could have made it more interesting.

Nah if you can understand the general language of Magical Girls you'd assume its gonna be edgy. The lighting on Homura and asking if she values her life, transfer student and Madoka being skitterish sends off signs. I don't even think we had Heartcatch around at that point where Tsubomi is a shy, quiet leader to even compare to. The interviews leading up to this though is what made alot of people comfy about the show though.

The one trailer where its just character cut outs though is the one I wouldn't have assumed it from however.

Well yes, if you're familiar with Magical Girl anime. Back when this was airing, I was pretty new to anime, and I didn't expect it to turn dark. Actually, I thought for sure Madoka would use her wish to ressurect Mami early on.

It's probably more significant for what it doesn't have, specifically any actual action/finishers being teased or romantic partner for the lead. That doesn't say edgy so much as 2deep4u seinen.

Yea you've got a point. Why didn't she do that again?

I remember watching it and thinking it'd be shit, which made me start watching it around the 5th episode airing. I missed the 3rd episode reaction, but at least I witnessed most of those wacky theories like Homura being a cat, the clock from the first episode, Mami/Charlotte mixed creature of Madoka's brother being the final hero. Good times.

Because that would have just placed her in the same position as Mami, i.e., her life would be in constant danger. Hence the scene in episode 4 where she returns the notebook (the symbol of her dreams of being a magical girl) to Mami's apartment while crying and says "I'm sorry I'm such a coward" or something like that.

What's frustrating about this series is the world building/magical girls are interesting but it spends it going haha stupid children, stupid magical girls hahaha. We get Urobuchi, put your edgeyness into Kamen Rider and let a mobile game do its job for you.(although I appreciate him wanting a happy ending)

>the OP, now that was a lie
What? The OP features them crying and running through the rain and standing dramatically behind chain link fences and shit, which is a hell of a lot more darkness than the PV shows.

youtube.com/watch?v=OrgpX-_bFqM
Oh sure, there's crying, but that's not all that unusual. There's no hiding that it's going to be emotional/sentimental, whether through the preview, OP or first 2.9 episodes.

I'm talking more about things like the cutesy vignettes of Madoka's misadventures, which are drawn so that you can look at back at them and see that it's just how she imagined her adventures would be. The rest seems to pretend her magical form is going to be significant in the typical way they are in this series (though again, odd that there isn't a single battle scene) and has all sorts of shots with implied team composition(s).

Yup. And it had just enough of the usual splash of words that appear in every OP ever that you might even have thought it was trite until 3-4. Then a straight read would just make you all like "Ohhh, and now she's trying to move on. She's so brave." Until that moment.

Not that it couldn't be decoded ever ever, but only if you had already decided you were just too clever to go on a ride like that. But at the time, most people got taken.

I actually muttered "oh fuck" when I read the subtitle of the first line when it started playing at the end of 10. Though Homura shooting Madoka got more of a reaction.

What are you talking about? I haven't seen it in a long time.

It's just heavily missing the actual magical girl element. All it does is show them at school and almost nothing about the magical girl battles, so it's an easy mislead. Especially with how they don't actually show Kyubey in action.

It's a shitty way to bait someone in, execution wise.

I think the point was to get people who like sol/magic type shows to watch something they usually wouldn't watch.

Connect, the opening theme, has lyrics that seem generic and cheesy at first. However, when it plays at the end of episode 10 after all the reveals, you realize its significance: the first line is "I won't forget the promise we made" referring to Homura promising to save Madoka. It's awfully poignant.

I don't really want to waste your time but can you go into more detail? What you're saying is the intro song is about Homura?

No one was truly ready for this ride

Nmv I just read the lyrics and I think I get it now.

It was common knowledge Urobochi was writing it and they even told people to stick around till the third episode because there would be a dramatic change. They were playing with expectations, but in a more tongue in cheek way. Everyone had a very good idea of what was coming and it made them more interested.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ArGWxjYCnA

m.youtube.com/watch?v=7IBk2VW4YTw

>there will never be another anime as epic as Madoka

>Forgetting about these.

youtube.com/watch?v=qTeM68aOpMM

Yes. The lyrics are about Homura refusing to give up despite how hopeless her situation seems.

I like Homulilly's game design more than the Rebellion one desu