Ep 1: crying whining bitch

>Ep 1: crying whining bitch
>Ep 15: crying whining bitch
>EoE: crying whining bitch

Jesus Christ, I understand this isn't some shonenshit where the teenage MC saves the world, but did Shinji learn anything or evolve in any way during Evangelion? Seems to me he started as a whining crying wreck and ended as a whining crying wreck, and any moments where he wasn't like that didn't last long as something else came along kicked him back into whining and crying mode.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LPeK3GGDKpw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Evangelion characters are actually shit. The edgy shit happening around them and the artsy visuals tricked pseudo-intellectuals into thinking the show is "deep". Shinji, Rei and Asuka are redundant bland characters that barely show any character growth throughout the whole thing. Not to mention the creator admitted the names and imagery are only there to "look cool". Eva is babby's first 'maturrr' animu.

link to patreon?

I think everything wrong with Evangelion can be traced back to Shinji. Visuals are good, cinematography is good, designs of the environments, EVAs, angels, etc. are great, that's why people like Evangelion.

Rei and Asuka have nothing because they mostly interact with Shinji who is a black hole for good character. Even if they could be good characters, they have to show it mostly by interacting with Shinji, which just makes it impossible.

All of the characters are supposed to be emotional trainwrecks but Shinji just happens to be the most expressive one

He's a teenager, retard. He's mentally unstable. Imagine being a 14 year old kid and the fate of the world rests in your hands.

most accurate description of Evangelion I've ever seen on Sup Forums

>I learned the term character arc from youtube movie reviewers and think I know about storytelling now

2deep4you.

>>EoE: crying whining bitch
He shows astounding growth in the last 15 minutes. The series is about his flaw, his problem. The moment he decides to overcome it, its over.

2deep4u

He survived. That's got to amount to something.

Remember that this is the kid who saw his mother died before his eyes as a child, ignored by his father for most of his childhood then suddenly got contacted and thrown into a battle which he felt EVERYTHING his mech felt, then got the equivalent of getting a sledgehammer in the face.

That will fuck up someone.

OP's life
>year 5: crying whining bitch
>year 10: crying whining bitch
>year 20+: crying whining bitch

Jesus Christ, I understand this isn't some shonenshit where the teenage MC saves the world, but did OP learn anything or evolve in any way during life? Seems to me he started as a whining crying wreck and ended as a whining crying wreck, and any moments where he wasn't like that didn't last long as something else came along kicked him back into whining and crying mode.

Who are you quoting?

I have never hated watching a character more.

I'm betting he is one of the biggest reasons the beta male bitch character is present in so much anime. He is that catalyst that started that God awful trend.

The only people that enjoy watching this character are even bigger pussies than he is.

I would probably cry and whine too but eventually learn to man up. Being a teenager isn't an excuse for being a whimp. 12 yrs old boys fought in wars in the past.

>Ep 1: deer shitto
>Ep 15: deer shitto
>EoE episode: deer shitto

Jesus Christ, I understand this isn't some shonenshit where the teenage MC saves the world, but did Kagura do anything or evolve in any way during Gintama? Seems to me he started as a lazy nagging wreck and ended as a lazy nagging wreck, and any moments where she wasn't like that didn't last long as she probably had her mouth full before she could be back into whining and crying mode.

>psuedo-intellectuals

Here's a quote from a real intellectual then, buddy.
"It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors. Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital. When critics disagree, the artist is in accord with himself."
If we take this as 'Truth', (and I put that in quotes because intellectuals have been debating the meaning of Truth for hundreds of years) then the most controversial anime, Eva, is also the most new, complex, and vital anime.

Also you just hate it because Shinji mirrors your beta ass.

It's not real, it didn't "just happen" that Shinji was forced into that role. Someone (Anno) decided to add him in as the main character and decided his personality. So even assuming you can't have a teenager who isn't like Shinji (you can, Asuka isn't near as whiny, for example, nor are any of his school friends), then don't make him a teenager. This isn't real life where you get what you get, this is something made by someone who could change anything he wanted as he wanted.

Hell Shinji would even be fine if his crying and whining scenes didn't take up 50% of the show and had less screentime.

And it's not out of nowhere, it's not something that just gets added to him. He gains perspective and becomes more aware of himself. He insists he's a coward being forced to pilot, he's reminded he's free to go any time he wants when he complains and then dives into magma to make a rescue. He says he's doing it for praise, he's uncomfortable with compliments and still does it to save the lives of people he hates. He had the same power over the fate of the world and humanity since the first episode as he had in Third Impact, it's an affirmation of the decision he'd been making unconsciously the whole time.

The first time he cried after like ten episodes he was just about to die.
Other times were after seeing someone almost dying/actually dying before his eyes.
>did Shinji learn anything or evolve in any way during Evangelion?
I don't know. You tell me.

>Asuka isn't near as whiny
youtube.com/watch?v=LPeK3GGDKpw

It's called an inference, but you already know that don't you?

I don't want to come off as an indian by mistake, but only braves would ever call or consider themselves cowards.
Real cowards don't have second thoughts. Or rather the seconds thoughts are only whether to steal or fuck up something before leaving.

>did Shinji learn anything or evolve in any way during Evangelion?
He did. That lead to terrific consequences, so he regressed.

Eva is about a weak, pathetic MC. He has an epiphany at the ending but that's the ending. The journey is seeing a weak kid in a harsh, scary, and unpredictable environment in which he doesn't experience any long term positive development. Yeah it's not fun to watch but it is what it is.
>Asuka isn't near as whiny
Yeah right, she is whiny as hell. People forgive her because she's poor pretty girl.

How many times did we have to endure Asuka crawling into a corner and refusing to do anything? When was the last time Misato had to drag a ragdoll Asuka to the Eva?

It's ok for girls to be whiny, for boys not so much.

Episodes 22 through 24. Then Misato had a team load Asuka into the Eva directly from her bed immediately before she went for Shinji.

>had to drag a ragdoll Asuka
Well, that's one burden I'd never refuse.

No, the series is about repitition amoung other things, but one thing about this series is that the same mistakes keep happening in different situations. Shinji just keeps falling back into his default. That's what he's about and it's supposed to frustrate the viewer because it's an actual negative trait we all share.

People forgive her because she isn't reserved about it and brings life to the series where the only person who showed any spunk was misato.

sure, keep your stupid retrograde mindset xd

Not all ppl forgive Asuka's whiny ass. She thought a lot about herfelf, but it was actually all bullshit, and you know what? That's exactly what the show is about. These are all teenagers with mental health problems that try to overcome themselves, but simply keep making the same mistakes
You hate Shinji, as if you could do better in his place, with a life like that

this, most people dont think he changed as a character because when he started gaining confidence everything went to shit, so he became what he was in the earlier episodes

>Ep 1.: maybe if I risk my life in the giant robot, dad will love me
>Ep 15: Wow, Dad is actually starting to respect me a little. And I have some comrades. Holy shit though, I am in no way mentally trained to keep up with this lifestyle. There's only a few more angels left though, right? I just have to tough it out until its over.
>EoE: I was wrong. I was so wrong. Love is wrong. There is no true self. There is no true separation between the nature of the other and the perceived nature of the other. Forced interaction is no cure for loneliness. There probably is no cure for loneliness and I've wasted my whole life searching for one, just like my father, just like Misato, just like SEELE. The source of unhappiness was rejecting everything that was less than perfect, and thats why losing Kaworu heart so much but that kind of relationship isn't possible between two humans and shouldn't be desired to begin with. Standing up as your own person, for your own person, in spite of unhappiness and misery, is the only avenue open to any of us

Jesus fuck
Its like you guys watch a show and completely ignore every scene with substance and meaning. The show justifies Shinji's behavior perfectly and you are just too blind or stupid to understand it.

Aren't you talking about shinpachi?

ikr. what did they expect? a fucking harem with a cute, happy ending? watch the fucking anime again

>Shinji sees his own mother killed by an Evangelion unit at a young age
>wow how dare he show a little bit of apprehension when he's told to get into one by his crazy dad
>Shinji refuses to pilot the EVA unit when he sees it causes destruction to those he loves, but eventually gets back into it when he sees a huge bitch in danger and gets a talking to from the world's biggest alpha
>wow how dare he show hesitation
>Shinji refuses to pilot the EVA after it turns him into goo
>wow how dare he show fear for his life
And after all of that Shinji is still in the robot.

user, there was no reason for you to go full-retard

>but eventually learn to man up
Yeah, 14 year old suburban school-boy is gonna man up in closely successive alien fights of varying horror after suddenly being decided to pilot a pain-machine for the fate of the world.

Ok, I never understood why Ramiel is the most popular Angel among the fans, it does not make any sense whatsoever

It's by far the most unconventional monster out of all of them. The version of it in the Rebuilds also added to its popularity. I personally prefer Leliel.

Also the most popular angel is Kaworu.

I can't really be mad at shinji because every time things look good for him, they hit him even harder.

And no, despite what people think, being a hot blooded teen that can help the girls by banging them would not fix it all. in fact it would probably make things worse

It's just a moving octahedron, come on, Irael was way nicer to me

I couldn't tell you what in particular has spawned its gigantic fanbase, as like I said I prefer Leliel.

tfw I start looking at the picture from right to left, and then after discovering my error start looking at it from left to right, but then realize that the sequence is two columns that go top to bottom and start with the left column.

There is no hope for me.

Lets not forget this shit has been happening on loop for fuck knows how long. He still gets in the robot every time.

I'm only counting the original series right now because its impossible to know if anyone other than Kaworu is aware of the loop.

Evangelion was a deconstruction of anime tropes at heart.

Asks:
>What would happen if a depressed 14 year old boy had to pilot a robot to save the world?
Answer: The world would end.
Asuka, Misato, and Rei are all deconstructions of harem archetypes.
is a deconstruction of the believing in yourself at the critical moment

That being said, Evangelion is probably a terrible introduction into anime.

>That being said, Evangelion is probably a terrible introduction into anime.
It's actually what got me interested in anime. It's the first anime I watched that I knowing it was anime and not just some cartoon with a different artstyle. It wasn't at all what I was expecting, and I liked it enough that I ended up watching other anime too. I will admit that it probably would've been better if I'd watched some other mecha stuff first though.

>Shinji refuses to pilot the EVA after it turns him into goo
The fucked thing is that he didn't. Gendo ordered the freeze on Unit 01, Shinji was arguing with him to be deployed. He skipped school but went right back to synch tests. It's not fear of the Eva or death he's complaining about in End, and it wasn't really that at the beginning, either; he says he should be counted on for this shit.

>i got btfo'd in the other NGE thread, but I'll just pretend that it never happened and keep on saying the same shit over and over again
disgusting

Fuck me
>he should not be counted on

Evangelion didn't deconstruct anything, it copied almost everything.
The characters included.

Find me a Shinji Ikari or a Kaworu before NGE.

Give me actual examples, lol.

Eva was the first show I watched in its entirety, so it worked for me.

Easy.

Amuro
virtually any fujobait character

ez

I have watched Eva, anime and rebuilds, a few times and I still really enjoy it.

Kaworu created fujobait

every episode of NGE:
>*crying*
>daddy doesn't love me
>get in the fucking robot shinji
>*crying intesnifies*
>okey.

this show was/is/will always be shit

>it's okay because she's more obnoxious about it
Nah, it's because she's a hot girl.

>Kaworu
Ryo

Each time I rewatch Eva I sympathize with a different character. When I was a kid, it was Shinji, or the other pilots (sans Rei) as I'm getting older I understand identify with characters like Misato and Kaji.

HAHAHAHAHAH
no

Kaworu only becomes similar to Ryo in Rebuild

Most modern fujobait is based on him and Shinji

I can already tell you're a suburban kid who plays hiphop music because you think it makes you gangsta

The plot is written in a way that you can insert your own ending and therefore the progression of the character while also being faux-deep.

Try devilman, stupid fujo.

I wouldn't really classify Devilman as fujo

Only if you're defining both characters as light-haired non human twinks. Ryo was central to the plot and had agency, Kaworu wasn't directing the Angels, infiltrating humanity on their behalf, and inventing Evangelions to turn a human into an Evaman that could survive on Angel world.

>man up
Oh Sup Forums you never cease to entertainment me.

>gets fucked in other threads
>keeps on acting retarded like nothing ever happened
Oh // you never cease to "entertainment" me.

>I would probably cry and whine too but eventually learn to man up.

When people say this, I can't help but go "Really?". It's easy to say that but actually being in the situation would be a different story.

>Being a teenager isn't an excuse for being a whimp.

Shinji is how he is because his life is pretty shitty when you look at it. And every time it looks like things might get better, they get 10 times worse than how they were before. With the exception of a few people, everyone around him is a mess mentally. Nobody can even give him a straight answer on what the EVA is.

> 12 yrs old boys fought in wars in the past.

And? Does that mean they should do it now? Does that mean Shinji shouldn't justifiably be freaked out by his situation?

>The only time Shinji has any shred of self confidence is the same episode where he gets mindfucked and turned into orange juice by getting absorbed by an angel and reverting him back to his depressive state

I don't blame him for being whiny when shit like this happens to him. Also the time where he got obliterated by Ramiel literally seconds after his eva unit made it to the surface after being deployed.