Scanlation thread. What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Scanlation thread. What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

ejje.weblio.jp/
mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=101147
mediafire.com/folder/tpvtxdx386li1/Joukikou_Otome_Mame_Dakedo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's a scanalation?

Some raws were recently posted for volume 1 of Yumekui Tantei - Utsunomiya Airi no Kikan so I guess there's a chance someone is already working on it now. I hope so, but I'm not sure.

However, I've already been google translating the first chapter little by little just to read it and no one it's not yet done, I will post what I can get out of it on Mangahelpers or something. I'll work pretty slowly and might not be able to make sense of everything so there may be some incoherent parts. But I'll do what I can for anyone who wants to check it out and maybe even help with the translation and typeset it.

I'm quite interested in this series so let's see how it goes.

>Google Translate

You might as well just post the transcription of the chapter and let someone competent do it instead.

Aren't all the text in the raws though? If they're competent, they can just translate from that.

I'll also still need to type up all the japanese text in order to get the rough translation and have it around. Unless there's a quicker way to get all the kanji than memorizing it, typing up the furigana and look through the list.

>However, I've already been google translating the first chapter
If you ever want to be respected or liked, never do this.

Alright, what's the better alternative?

Learn Japanese.

I know some basics from a couple of years back in high school but can't really speak it fluently. I'm using Google Translate more to look up words I don't know and hopefully pick things up.

That's fine if you're studying on your own, just don't post your garbage online because some idiot who doesn't pay attention might use that script.

I'll surely need to talk to them beforehand and make it clear it's a rough translation. I just feel like this needs to be there.

You should use ejje.weblio.jp/ if you want a good Japanese to English dictionary.

Thanks, at least that was more help.

I'm one chapter away from catching up to this shitty isekai manga. It's amazingly depressing that this is my most popular project.

If it's so popular, why can't someone else do it?

Because I can't trust anyone else to do a decent translation of this. I don't want some shitty translators to do this. Basically, because I'm really possessive. Plus, I'm almost caught up (it's monthly), so it won't be a hassle anymore.

Sounds like an e-peen concern.

>translating a series for a scanlation group
>they promise to start releasing 2 chapters a week
>over a month without an upload while I'm way ahead of the releases

I wish I had the patience to do all this myself. I cleaned/typeset one chapter and it was mind-numbing.

Pretty much.

I don't mind the mind-numbing part of doing it all myself; I can just throw an episode of anime up on my other monitor to listen to. I do, however, mind the pain in my wrist I get from doing it.

Get a gel wrist pad. It takes a lot of pressure off of your wrist and makes using a mouse for hours much more comfortable. I've been using them for about three years now. I started off using a Kingston mouse mat with gel wrist pad. I got through a few of these as they only last around three months with heavy use. They are very comfortable thogh. I moved on to a Graffiti foam pad. This wasn't particularly helpful for wrist pain and it didn't last long either. After about a month the edges started to lift away from the desk. I'm currently using a Fellowes mouse mat with gel wrist pad. It's as comfortable as the Kingston and it has lasted for over a year.

I wish i knew how to redraw better.
I'm useless doing this, sometimes i'll just want to put a blank square above the text and say it's done

Look up how to use the pen tool.

Your wrist hurts just from typesetting?

By the way, Yumetan guy back. I forgot to specifically ask, no one's working on this manga yet right? If that's the case, I'll work extra hard in trying to make the translation coherent to post it. But that won't be needed if someone actually good at japanese already has it covered.

If you don't know Japanese, then don't bother trying to translate it.

I just feel like it needs to be there, especially if I find it to be really good. I'll just have to make it clear it's a rough translation.

How is this allowed
This is from the official kindle release.

Look at that everything

If it's good enough for glorious Japanese mobile phone readers it's good enough for silly baka gaijin

Disgusting.

The worst thing is that their previous releases didn't do that. (pic related)

The quality wasn't great but it was decent enough for a kindle version compared to the smudged mess from their latest volume.

These might be 300 pages each, but at least I don't have to check the autocrop.

The hard part of redrawing isn't the act of redrawing, it's the time it takes to redraw

I've finally found the motivation to start working on things. It's been around 2 months since I've done anything and I have a huge backlog of scripts and cleans I need to catch up on.

When I straighten b&w images in Photoshop, it leaves the edges jagged. Do I just scan and straighten at a higher resolution, or is there another way to fix this?

Are you rotating images that are in Index mode? Don't do that.

Someone do fucking Patlabor or Gingitsune. I know almost no Japanese and I'm thinking of trying to do just basic translations for myself since the former hasn't been translated in 20 years and the latter hasn't had a translated release in over a year and is like 10 volumes behind.

Meh, I like it. What‘s a good isekai in your opinion?

I finally got around to QCing volume 1 of Seigi Keikan Monju.
Pretty fun series to do I gotta say.

Thanks, that seemed to help. I'm a total beginner to Photoshop so I wasn't familiar with what those modes do.

Just put out the first chapter of a new manga. It was fairly well received, and I'm feeling pretty happy about that.

I'm also glad that this one doesn't have a giant note at the end of every chapter.

Just a reminder that someone translated the first volume of Wet Moon ages ago and that it never got typeset.

I've tried contacting that TL after he sent me the script + some interview translations, but he's never replied since then or reached out to me.

First time cleaning this type of screentone. I wish I am also the type setter or at least I get to leave these till after the type has been set.

Definitely not perfect, but still pretty good.
I hope you have at least talked to your team about typesetting before redrawing.

To be honest, I don't read or watch much isekai. I mainly dislike isekai with RPG elements. The only one I think that is decent is Overlord, because of how big the world is and how simple and charming Ainz's underlings are. Although I've barely gotten through two light novel volumes. I tried giving Re:Zero a try, since it has the fantasy elements I like, but I ended up disliking it because I either hated or couldn't sympathize with most of the characters. As for Word Master, I liked it when the main character was by himself. But when he started having a party, I couldn't stand how obnoxious he was. And worst of all, he was plain boring to me. He was just an eyesore, and ruined the manga for me. The lolis parading him made it worse. I also abhor that Arnold's the punching bag for jokes. I actually like him. The girls are fine when they're not treating Hiiro like he's the hottest shit ever (not very often). To me, if I can't like the characters or get slightly attached to them, then it's hard for me to like the series, which has been a problem for me with most of the isekai manga I read. But, like I said, I haven't read much isekai. What I'd like in an isekai are well-written characters. Otherwise, characters that are just easy to get attached to, so I can care more about the actual story.

I bought the first volume of this years ago, but never got around to scanning it. Manabe Jouji (Outlanders, etc.) has a series running about a female tank squad. I'm not sure on the details, as I've never really looked into the series that much. It got an ebook only just last year, so I went ahead and bought it since I'm not going to scan the volume anytime soon. I'll upload it here if anyone wants it. 1920px. I guess I can scan the tank at some point if someone prefers that, and wants to work on it.

mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=101147
mediafire.com/folder/tpvtxdx386li1/Joukikou_Otome_Mame_Dakedo

I'll at least take a peek at the ebook.
Manabe always entertains.

Does anyone here know how to work with wefiler?

By pure change i came across a now cancelled
official(?) line of colored Vagabond volumes and i managed to track down the original source of the scans pic related is from a site another site. And i'll like to see in their quality is better becasue the size don't line up.

It's up.

It's awesome how publishers use 6x the size of what scanlation uses.

Nevermind i managed to get them and yes their quality is indeed higher.

>No new raws on ugcity since two weeks ago

RIP

Help me, anons. Which one looks better?

I've been meaning to have a go at this. Which fonts are best?

You mean 1/6, right? Their resolutions are lower.
Also, that looks like crap. I hope you did on purpose so you could post it here.

Right, unless you plan to do more panels in the same manner

Aesthetically, left.
Functionally, right.

Generally, people opt for the convention on the right to represent descending speech

There are more panels with similar overlays, but they have way more space to work with.
I'll go with the right one, then.

Here's a free reaction image for you guys. I've just typeset this.

Wow, those look really very nice. They're Chinese, so I wouldn't be sure that they're official, though. But I would definitely read them, if you put them up somewhere.

Sometimes I feel like I should never ever TL anything because sometimes I can have a hard time following conversations, especially in this particular title (and the diesuki/sentai translation was useless and downright wrong).

Do it.

>tfw I've translated a chapter of Gingitsune once and posted on Sup Forums
But then almost immediately someone else also did a translation (not even sure who was first) and I never continued. Also, funny how the Russian translation was further than the English one for quite a while.