There are people here who think Yugi surpassed Atem

>There are people here who think Yugi surpassed Atem
What's up with this bs?

>inb4 b-but he won against him once!!
Of course he freaking did. He know Atem better than anyone else and watched all of his games while Atem know nothing about his style or duck. Also, winning against him just ONCE doesn't suddenly means that he is the "king of game" because Atem was good at EVERY game.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x5Za8HggalY
nicovideo.jp/watch/sm28944698
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes. fuck off.

no. fuck off.

maybe. fuck off

I don't know. fuck off

I like yugi, but Atem is definitely better than him.

It's not that he surpasses him, it's that he let him go.
It wasn't Atem moving on, it was Yugi moving on.

There are some fans who argue that he did surpass him despite what you said was actually the point of the match.

Can you repeat the question? fuck off

I think the op's question is quite clear. Why there are some people who think yugi is better than atem and the king of games when he only won against him once?

If he was better he would've won.

He's better because he beat Atem while Atem was cheating hardcore. And this isn't the typical "destiny draw" bs. Atem knew he was cheating and he purposefully called whatever card he needed to the top of his deck. Meanwhile, Yugi knew his every move and had a counter ready. He surprassed him in every way.

Can you give a manga prove of Atem "cheating" against Yugi? Because if anything, the odds were against Atem since Yugi know his cards and strategies by heart while Atem never saw Yugi play a game before.

Atem just had the three god cards in his deck, he loses with a way better deck, how is that not being a better duelist?

Because Atem was able to win against them before and Yugi actually learned from him how to beat them too so they aren't actually an issue to him?

>never saw Yugi play a game before.

They shared bodies for almost three years. It's highly unlikely he never saw Yugi play a game just because we never saw it happen. He knew Yugi pretty well.

Yugi literally stated in the millennium world arc that Atem has no knowledge of his duck or even aware of its existence since Yugi bulit it in his own. So, Atem has no knowledge of his style or cards while Yugi does.

Atem may have no knowledge of his cards since he built a new deck for that duel, but not his style which can be adapted to any game. As I said before it's highly unlikely he never saw Yugi duel or play games in the time they shared bodies. He knew that Yugi was good at games and he knew his style which was anticipating the opponent's moves and having a counter ready and thinking outside the box. We as an audience saw this several times too in Duelist Kingdom against Pegasus (Yugi came up with the mind switch technique), the duel against Jou where he was able to manipulate the duel to the point where he could save Jou, DDM a brand new game he was able to master very quickly without any help, and many other events like that.

What Atem failed to realize is just HOW good Yugi was at doing that, which partly plays into his arrogance, which was one of his major character flaws.

Yugi stated in his match against Bakura that Atem doesn't know about his duck which he built it before the MW arc. Also, Yugi hasn't play in any big game for Atem to know his style while Yugi had the advantage to see Atem fighting in all of his big matches.

>DDM a brand new game he was able to master very quickly without any help
This isn't true because Yugi almost give up and lost the game if it wasn't for dark Bakura helping him.

And Atem didn't "fail" to realize how good Yugi is because he acknowledged him and has given him credits for his help many times. He actually WANT Yugi to be independent of him and the final match proved that Yugi can stand on his own without Atem, but I fail to see how it suddenly made him better than the guy who won against all of his big opponents in every game. Unless Yugi achive what Atem accomplished, then he isn't better.

Ok? It doesn't really matter when he built his deck. That doesn't change Atem's play style and strategies. And you don't need to have major duels where the entire world is at stake to judge playing style. The examples I listed are more than enough to show Yugi is good at games and has a particular playing style that can be recognizable. He and Atem even worked together to build their deck for Battle City so obviously Atem was exposed to Yugi's experience with Duel Monsters and the way he thinks about strategizing. Then you can apply that to almost three years of being sharing the same body and Atem can understand much better what kind of a person Yugi is.

>Dark Bakura helping him

He just gave him a little encouragement. It's not like he told him what moves to make or anything. Yugi figured that all on his own. His issue throughout the entire manga was to gain courage, it makes sense he was lacking it that early in the story.

Atem did fail to realize how good he was. Yes he wanted him to grow independent and courageous, and he even stated in Battle City that Yugi would one day surpass him because of his kindness. Atem didn't underestimate him so much as he didn't think Yugi would would be able to counter him at his best. The ultimate example is the sealing of Osiris with Gold Sarcophagus. Atem did not see that coming at all and that was the best move he could've made at that time. That Yugi read that move means he understands what winning the duel means and that he has the courage to do what's right.

And you're also making the mistake of attributing all the duels won in the story solely to Atem. Yugi was always there with him too going through the same experiences as him and offering his advice/help even if he didn't actually duel.

This

Stay salty fag, Yugi is the King of Games

You seem to miss the obvious point here which is that Yugi had the element of surprise with his secret duck and know how to counter all of Atem's cards which an advantage Atem didn't have and played a big part in Yugi winning against him.

>He just gave him a little encouragement
He didn't give him a "little encouragement", he literally give him clues on how to win.

And again, Atem didn't "fail" to realize anything except being catch off guard with how well prepared Yugi was which didn't mean that he doesn't think Yugi was good enough.

>And you're also making the mistake of attributing all the duels won in the story solely to Atem. Yugi was always there with him too going through the same experiences as him and offering his advice/help even if he didn't actually duel.
Yugi literally done nothing in the first volume and Atem won all of his games on his own. The times where he helped Atem were quite few compared to the many games Atem played.

>Also, winning against him just ONCE doesn't suddenly means that he is the "king of game" because Atem was good at EVERY game.

But if you beat the king of games in a game then wouldn't that mean you take his title?

No, because Atem was called the king of games because he was good in EVERY game, not just card game and Yugi isn't.

It's fairly clear that Yugi beating Atem was meant to signify that he didn't need him anymore.

It is fair to say that he 'surpassed' Atem. If they ran the game back a hundred times the result would be the same one hundred times over, Yugi is simply better at reading Atem than Atem is Yugi. It's a form of plot armor but it is what it is. Yugi solved the millenium puzzle; he has more natural talent than Atem but none of the confidence.

Yomi Tenrin Horakhty

If only Tristan had applied himself...

Do you even READ the series? Right at the beginning Anzu told the audience how Yugi is good at every games there is. In fact the reason they started as friends was Anzu kept breaking the toys he brought to her and patiently teaching her how to do it. Don't be salty that your topdecking cheater Pharaoh is not actually that good.

>Yugi solved the millenium puzzle
Because he was the "chosen one" who is "destined" to be the pharaoh vessel, not because of his "talent".

And the final match only proved that Yugi has become independent enough to stand on his own without Atem, not that he is better than him.

Yeah, that's why he needed Atem to do all the work. Because he was "better" than him.

No one salty except you Yugi fan who cry everytime Atem done something and downplay all of his achievements.

Atem did all the work because it was HIS fights you moron. He's the one going all muh memory. For the Duelist Kingdom Yugi still thinks Atem is him but a split personality so he let him play because he represents the duelist personality the most (ego and pride). Battle City was a clusterfuck of shadow games and if you lose you die that all involves Atem's memories so why would Yugi duel for that.

Atem never beat someone that had all three god cards.

>Yeah, that's why he needed Atem to do all the work.

Atem switched over himself in a lot of cases. Yugi couldn't remember what happened when Atem took over in the Pre Duelist Kingdom days and wasn't even aware of him until Death T Battle City was pretty much his battle which is why Atem was basically up front the whole time. It was about his past and required him to be out there.

For Millennium World they were separated and Yugi handled shit on his own in that arc. There was also the small Dungeon Dice Monsters Arc in the manga where Yugi dealt with Duke in that game and not Atem like in the anime.

>Because Atem was able to win against them before

Atem had a deck with all three cards in there at once. He might have dueled them alone, but never together

>while Atem know nothing about his style or duck
That's not true, the body-sharing goes both ways. Atem lost fair and square.

Atem is a big cheater.

The first vol where Atem played all the games were all Yugi's fights.

>Kingdom Yugi still thinks Atem is him but a split personality so he let him play because he represents the duelist personality the most (ego and pride). Battle City was a clusterfuck of shadow games and if you lose you die that all involves Atem's memories so why would Yugi duel for that
"Let him" lmao Yugi didn't have enough skills or the confidence to play in Kingdom nor he would have any chance to win without Atem. Yugi become a better duelist THANKS to Atem.

Atem was able to beat each one individually and discover all their weakness which has given Yugi the knowledge on how to defend them all.

>Atem switched over himself in a lot of cases
>a lot of cases
Literally just once where they both played against Pegasus. The match against Joey was Yugi's match by his own choice.

Atem won most of his matches without needing Yugi.

>element of surprise with his secret deck

Ok but you're making it sound like if Yugi played some other deck he wouldn't have done as well. That deck was not built to counter Atem's deck. That was just Yugi's own deck as a way of showing his own independence and creativity in his play style. Atem had the god cards too so he had much more of an "advantage" than Yugi. Not to mention Yugi didn't know every card in Atem's deck either. They both made sure not to peek at the other's deck while they were building it. The deck was also different than the BC deck which both Yugi and Atem built.

>He didn't give him a "little encouragement", he literally give him clues on how to win.

No he didn't. He just said Yugi is the chosen vessel and should be able to maneuver his way through the game. He never gave him any other clues. Yugi's own skill and intuition of gaming helped him win.

>which doesn't mean he didn't think Yugi was good enough

I never said that. Atem never thought that either. He just assumed he had the game won but didn't have the foresight to see that Yugi was ready for that. His visibility was flawed and he simply didn't account that Yugi would have made a move like that. It shows his assessment of Yugi's growth was not accurate.

>The times where he helped Atem were quite few compared to the many games Atem played.

Ok, but the point is there was a decent amount of times where Yugi's own skill and experience was put to the test. So it doesn't look like a complete asspull when he's able to beat Atem in a duel because throughout the story you notice him being adept at games.

But the main issue ultimately comes down to one thing.

Yugi's story was never about being "better" than Atem. It was about gaining confidence and courage from him so that he could become independent.

You are talking like Atem also didn't know every nook and cranny of Yugi's deck.

The DSOD was what really convinced me that Atem was better than Yugi.

To add to this, when Atem says that Yugi will surpass him he means that Yugi's kindness is his true strength and that it's stronger than Atem's lack of kindness, arrogance and pride which were his biggest flaws. So when Yugi gains the courage to stand on his own two feet from Atem, that is when he'll be truly complete as an existence that surpasses Atem.

Again, less to do with games and more of characterization.

They literally won against Pegasus due to Yugi's strategy. user are you okay.

What? Because Yugi failed to stop a magical demon from destroying the world? He's just a normal person. It's unfair to think that he could a normal person could counter a magical being.

>Ok but you're making it sound like if Yugi played some other deck he wouldn't have done as well
>That deck was not built to counter Atem's deck
Now you are putting words in my mouth. I already explained my point multiple times and I'm not going to repeat myself since it quite obvious what I meant.

>No he didn't
Yes, he did. He has given him subtle clues in how to win. Re-read the story again.

>I never said that
You literally said that Atem "failed" to realize how good Yugi was. Atem know that Yugi was good (He is pretty much his mentor after all), but Yugi still managed to surprise him which showed character growth.

>Ok, but the point is there was a decent amount of times where Yugi's own skill and experience was put to the test. So it doesn't look like a complete asspull when he's able to beat Atem in a duel because throughout the story you notice him being adept at games.
Ok and what this has to do with what I said? You have attributed Atem's win to Yugi and I replied to you that the times he he helped him were quite few to the total of games which Atem played.

>Yugi's story was never about being "better" than Atem. It was about gaining confidence and courage from him so that he could become independent
Which is my point. I asked why some people thought that Yugi surpassed Atem when he actually didn't nor it was propose of the final match.

If you have read the chain of comments, you wouldn't have made this post.

Yugi
>knows his opponent will draw whatever he wants
>gets strategy ready
Atem
>draws whatever he wants
>can't think outside the box once countered
the only reason Atem never lost to Kaiba is that Kaiba insists on summoning big ass shit, making him highly predictable, but if you can draw anything you want and still lose there is no excuse for it, regardless if the other person knows your dueling style

>There are people here who think Yugi surpassed Atem
It's just delusional dubfans and yugifans. Atem is still the best and no one surpassed him yet.

Was the dub that different from the original? I'm genuinely curious since I haven't watched.

Very. It has the dumb heart of card thing which why you have some fans bitching about how atem is a cheater (the fans of course ignored the fact that yugi and his friends believed in it too and they all draw the card they want when they need it).

The anime was also pretty different from the manga in many ways like yugi was much smarter in the anime than he was in the manga and they downplayed atem's kindness to show how pure yugi is like how they had him be the one who saved shadi from falling and how black magician obeyed him where in the manga it was atem who saved him and black magician obey only him.

the last duel was unironically the worst duel of the show

No, why you autists have to overanalyze.
Atem never lost to Kaiba because plot, Kaiba is the vegeta archetype of this shit.
Yugi had to defeat atem in the final duel so that everything would come close circle.
There's no particular shit they do, also atem always draws whatever the fuck he wants because the mangaka is a hack.

>also atem always draws whatever the fuck he wants because the mangaka is a hack
Literally every character draw the card they want in every yugioh season. They all are incredibly lucky.

>Atem takes over
>Topdecks a card that immediately wins
If they wanted to make it clear that Yugi only had trouble because of the magic, they should have made it more of a fight.

Do I watch the original Yu-Gi-Oh anime?

yes, search for the speedrun guide to watch YGO DM on the YGO threads

>Now you are putting words in my mouth.

Not really. You are the one who insinuated that Yugi had a "secret deck" and knew how to counter all of Atem's cards which is why he won. But this is false. I already said Atem's deck wasn't the same one from Battle City and it was tweaked to match his playstyle and preferences. Yugi didn't know every card in Atem's deck just as Atem didn't know every card in Yugi's deck. The duel wasn't won on Yugi's side because of his deck but because he outsmarted Atem. You think because Yugi have any major duels throughout the story that Atem somehow has less information on his playstyle and psychology which is why he couldn't beat Yugi because they never had a "proper" duel. This is completely wrong.

>You literally said that Atem "failed" to realize how good Yugi was. Atem know that Yugi was good (He is pretty much his mentor after all), but Yugi still managed to surprise him which showed character growth.

Well you proved my point here. The fact that Yugi managed to surprise him shows that Atem failed at assessing Yugi's true growth. Yugi surpassed his expectations.

And what my point was, is that Atem "failing" to see Yugi's growth doesn't mean he didn't think Yugi wasn't good enough but that Yugi was BETTER than what he thought which was already having a high bar of expectations for Yugi. There's a difference there.

>Yes, he did. He has given him subtle clues in how to win. Re-read the story again.

I literally pulled out my manga volumes and there is nothing like that. All Bakura says is that the odds are against Yugi but he can turn the tables because he's the chosen wielder of the puzzle and should be able to find a way out. That's it. As I said before, Yugi finds the way out himself. Bakura just gave him a little encouragement which had very little to do with his victory.

(2/2)
>You have attributed Atem's win to Yugi

Nope. I just said not all of Atem's wins were because of his own effort. Your original point was that you don't understand why Yugi is better than Atem because he didn't have the same duels against major opponents like Atem had. Your perception is that Yugi has to go through exactly what Atem did to be better than him. I don't think that's true because Yugi was still there experiencing everything Atem was. Just because he didn't duel doesn't mean he didn't understand the struggles he went through. And I brought up certain examples to show there are times when Yugi outshined Atem. That he's smarter than he seems and has skill at games. This was foreshadowing to show eventually he would beat him in the final duel and in a "sense" surpass him.

While not the point of the final duel you can argue that Yugi did "surpass" Atem. One, his character growth was huge and his kindness is the major trait Atem was missing. So his newlyfound courage/confidence with his kindness make him an overall "stronger" character than Atem. Secondly, the final duel was a cumulation of all the experiences Atem and Yugi went through. Atem was at his best in that duel and so was Yugi. So for Yugi to beat Atem at his best can be interpreted as him "surpassing" Atem.

>If they wanted to make it clear that Yugi only had trouble because of the magic, they should have made it more of a fight.

I mean the fact that Yugi was all banged up and tired, along with losing parts of his body seems enough to me. That last duel was a shadow duel which takes a toll on the duelist's mind and body. Yugi isn't some superhuman or anything and the fact that he was the last man standing and still didn't give up speaks volumes of his character.

Is the movie even canon?

The Ceremonial battle is the conclusion of Yugi's story and is the culmination of both his and his other self's journey.

To act butthurt that your favorite character lost is just being deluded and disrespecting Takahashi's work. Atem's goal was always to free himself from his curse and the only way it could happen is if someone truly surpasses him in both heart and mind, and that person was Yugi.

Yet another reason why I just hate shonenfags, they just shit all over the work and only read/watch for specific characters.

It is canon

To answer OP's question, it's the same way Kaiba always autistically rages that if he can just beat Yugi(Atem) once, ONCE, he'll be the god ing of duelists of the universe forever and ever.

Despite the fact that even if he DID win,which he can't, he'd still be like 5-1 losses to wins against him.

He beat Atem.
He was going to beat Kaiba in DSoD.

>You are the one who insinuated that Yugi had a "secret deck"
......I'm not even going to bother with this post.

>I don't think that's true because Yugi was still there experiencing everything Atem was
>Just because he didn't duel doesn't mean he didn't understand the struggles he went through
Understanding and being the one who is going through it are two different things.

If you are going to downplayed Atem's struggles because he shared mind with Yugi, then this also going to downplay every struggle Yugi went through too since he shared mind with Atem.

> And I brought up certain examples to show there are times when Yugi outshined Atem
Which you can count them in one finger compared to the time where Atem outshined everyone.

> One, his character growth was huge and his kindness is the major trait Atem was missing. So his newlyfound courage/confidence with his kindness make him an overall "stronger" character than Atem
Here you go again downplaying everything Atem did to props up Yugi. Yugi taugt Atem kindness? Atem taught Yugi confidence. Yugi is "better" because of his his newlyfound courage/confidence with his kindness? The same can be said about Atem with his newlyfound kindness with his courage/confidence.

>Atem was at his best in that duel and so was Yugi. So for Yugi to beat Atem at his best can be interpreted as him "surpassing" Atem
Atem wasn't at his "best", it was actually one of weakest games. Yugi did a good job and he deserved the win and Atem deserved his rest. Though, you still haven't convinced that Yugi was better than Atem nor I even got the impression from the their final match that he is.

>Atem wasn't at his "best", it was actually one of weakest games. Yugi did a good job and he deserved the win and Atem deserved his rest. Though, you still haven't convinced that Yugi was better than Atem nor I even got the impression from the their final match that he is.

Atem flat out states he is.

>To act butthurt that your favorite character lost is just being deluded and disrespecting Takahashi's work
Stop projecting yourself into others. I'm not mad over Atem losing because HE NEEDED TO LOSE and Yugi NEEDED TO WIN.

What I find ridiculous is how you people declare that Yugi is better than Atem when the latter accomplished in the series much more than what Yugi did.

In terms of cards, not in mind.

atem had hax "millenium puzzle i get the card I want when I need it" and still lost despite having all egyptian gods.
Yugi>Atem
get over it
but he wouldnt be able to pass without a true loss, it couldnt be forced. he lost clean

>the state of Yugi fans who don't even bother to read the thread before getting triggered
Heh, this actually explain a lot.

>not even going to bother with this post

Fine by me. I was just using your exact words.

>If you are going to downplayed Atem's struggles

I didn't. You're just giving all the credit to Atem and downplaying Yugi saying he can't surpass him because he didn't beat all the people Atem beat. I'm saying that doesn't matter. It's the character resolve and the lessons learned through the duels that really mattered in the victories. Not how you played the cards. That's something Yugi can take away from the duels just as much as Atem which means they have the same experiences in those battles.

>Yugi is "better" because of his his newlyfound courage/confidence with his kindness? The same can be said about Atem with his newlyfound kindness with his courage/confidence.

I'm not denying Atem didn't learn a few things from Yugi. But you have to take into consideration that Atem's story is over while Yugi's is still going on. He has a future and potential to grow even stronger than he is at the end of that duel. He has the ability to reach for a place that Atem can't. In that sense he surpasses Atem and becomes a "stronger" character.

>Atem wasn't at his best

Yes he was. Otherwise there's no point to the duel. Yugi states multiple times he's happy Atem is taking him very seriously.

he made a malcolm in the middle reference

yes, no maybe I dont know. can you repeat the question follwed by fuck off

youtube.com/watch?v=x5Za8HggalY

Why does Yugi need to accomplish anything?
He is literally still in school.

tbf, he didn't downplay yugi while you actually the one who went ahead and made it like atem wouldn't be able to do anything without yugi's help and downplayed his efforts.

i got what that dude trying to say because yugi hasn't done anything so far that show he surpassed atem. everyone has potential to be something, but not everyone lived up to it.

>He is literally still in school
He actually graduated and officially older than Atem now.

And I think the accomplishments he referring to is what Atem has achieved as a player.

>HE NEEDED TO LOSE and Yugi NEEDED TO WIN.

Yes it's called a story. The story demands he wins the same way it demands that Yugi is better than Atem.

>it demands that Yugi is better than Atem
It doesn't, though. Which was the OP's point.

Yes it does Atem has to lose to move on and it had to be honest he can't fake it.

>his kindness is the major trait Atem was missing
Why people acting like Atem was some kind of heartless monster before meeting Yugi? He has sacrificed his own life at young age to save his city, he saved Yugi's grandpa from falling when he first discovered his tomb, he treated Anzu and the rest with kindness, he saved Mokuba and shadi which all happened before he even had a conversation with Yugi.

What Yugi taught him is how important kindness is, not how to be kind.

Losing one game against him doesn't make Yugi better than him nor it was implied or stated that he is.

The story says otherwise.

The story doesn't unless you give a proof where it does.

Except that he was pretty heartless? Did you forget how many penalty games he dealt in the early parts of the story? Or how he almost killed Kaiba? Even in Battle City there are a few instances where he doesn't seem to care for the wellbeing of others. He was an arrogant and prideful ass who slowly changed over the course of the story. In many ways Atem is very similar to Kaiba.

>Why people acting like Atem was some kind of heartless monster before meeting Yugi?

Go back and look at the penalty games from the early portion of the manga.

>they should have made it more of a fight.

That wasn't a normal Duel. Shadow Game duels take a huge toll on people. Battle City showed this with Joey and Mai. Just losing Life Points is much different from physically and mentally taking damage .

What if the show's duels played out like actual duels?

>Knowing the matchup suddenly makes you not better than the person you beat

That's fucking stupid.

I guess if I study the shit out of a guy before I fight him and win that means I'm not better huh?

Fuck off, matchup knowledge is part of any game or battle

This is your rival tonight. Be gentle.

TOUGH TIMES

But what if the actual duels played out like the show's duels?

nicovideo.jp/watch/sm28944698

beating the champion once proves nothing unleas you have defend your title against the same shit the last champion was dealing with.

yugi fucking destroyed and humilliate that satanic piece of shit tho.

If I beat her will she leave me rest in peace in the afterlife

>He know Atem better than anyone else and watched all of his games while Atem know nothing about his style or duck.
>while know nothing about his style or his duck
>his style or his duck

But can he defeat the MASTER?

This show always confused me
>his name is Yami
>no wait, Atem
>People seem weirdly ok with the fact that they literally watch ancient egyptian magic occur
>Atem moves to the afterlife leaving just Yugi at the end of the show
>Start of Yugioh GX
>Can clearly hear the voice of Atem hand the winged Kurriboh to Jaden
I don't get it

>>his name is Yami
Yami is just the word used to differentiate someone from their regular and "Dark" form, hence Yami Bakura, Yami Marik, etc. It literally means "Darkness" in Japanese.
>>no wait, Atem
Atem is his true name, which was the big plot point of Season 4, I believe.
>>People seem weirdly ok with the fact that they literally watch ancient egyptian magic occur
For the early parts of the Manga and Duelist Kingdom, they simply believe that's just regular Yugi getting his game on. Only around midway through DK do the differences between the two become apparent, and they truly begin to think of the two Yugi's as different entities. As for the Magic bits, he's saved their lives so many times at that point he's become their friend. That, and they're still quite horrified and bewildered by all the increasing Egyptian hocus pocus that continues to happen like Shadi, the God cards, the Yamis, etc.
>Start of Yugioh GX
>Can clearly hear the voice of Atem hand the winged Kurriboh to Jaden
Yugi grew up. Remember that he's the physical reincarnation of Atem. When he grew up and became more mature, he sounds and looks like Atem. It's more obvious in Season 1 of Duelist Kingdom when Dan Green hadn't yet perfected the "Pharoah" voice yet and Atem sounded more like regular Yugi, but older and doing a tough guy voice.

I only watched the 4kids version and they said Yami was his actual name. They never used terms like Yami Bakura and such.
What happened to the mind crushes though? Seems like a pretty powerful ability and he just stopped using it after like season 1

>Atem was good at EVERY game
>Implying Yugi only played Duel Monsters
Neo Sup Forums makes me cringe.

>I only watched the 4kids version and they said Yami was his actual name. They never used terms like Yami Bakura and such.
That's just 4Kids Shenanigans, like how the Shadow Realm doesn't actually exist and people simply die.
>What happened to the mind crushes though? Seems like a pretty powerful ability and he just stopped using it after like season 1
You see, that's where the "Dark" comes about. Destroying people's mind is kind of horrible and doesn't make him much better than the other Yami's running around or Pegasus since he's basically putting people through games of life and death.
It's a big plot point of the early manga for Atem to STOP doing that because he's making his spirit darker and darker for it. When he stops, it's also a sign that he's becoming "kinder" and listens to his friends since the last time he tries to do it is the big match against Kaiba on Pegasus' castle. The match where Kaiba literally says that if Yugi wins the duel, he's gonna fall off the castle to his death. Atem is all for it, but Yugi, Tea, and everyone else is telling him to stop.

That also leads to little Yugi's wangst about the whole thing and his poor match against Mai afterward. The trust between Atem and Yugi was shaken and both are kind of scared of what depths they'll sink to win.

desu I kinda liked the shadowrealm because the concept of people murdering each other over a card game is so absurd that it's better to go completely over the top and say they lose their soul in some hellish void