Fell For The 'Tech Job' Meme

Want to work at a tech company? Think your STEM degree will get you a high-paying, rewarding job?

I work at company in Canada that's praised in the media as one of the best places to work in the country.
I am the envy of all my friends, family and classmates -- they can't stop telling me how "lucky" I am.

>50-60 hour work weeks
>$47k salary ($36k USD)

My day at the (open concept) office starts at 8AM and goes until 6PM. No breaks. Maybe twice a week I'll take a 20min break for lunch.
Once I leave the office, I'm still expected to answer emails. I often have 1-3 hours of work to do in the evenings.
Two or three times a month, I'm obligated to go to corporate dinners / events. (unpaid)

If I did any less, I'd be laid off. A guy hired at the same time as me "only" worked 40hrs a week. He was let go after 3 months.

Everyone at my office uses intentionally wordy, obfuscating language to make their work sound important.
Pic related is a parody of it, but it's so close to the truth it hurts.
Our support team doesn't 'troubleshoot' -- we "dynamically build consensus around customer-centric solutions".

What baffles me is I'm the only one who seems to hate it.
My colleagues bask in the "award winning corporate culture" of unpaid overtime and branded ping-pong matches.
People come to the office on their days off just to "hang out".
Their entire lives revolve around the company. I'm the odd one out.

Is it like this everyone else?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qImHuiYnVQ0
instagram.com/opu.tech
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump? Can no one relate to these feels at all?

the thing is, there is no career path that will guarantee you a pleasant high paying job.

>47k salary

You know that comes out to only a couple dollars more than minimum wage for the amount of work you do, right?

I like the buzzword pics, post more.
>Think your STEM degree will get you a high-paying, rewarding job?
Nothing other than nepotism will ever guarantee a high-paying, rewarding job.

Tech jobs are hell.

>take a salary user
>salaries are better than hourly!
Hahaha fell for the new
>open concept office, we like to brainstorm! No it has nothing to do with us trying to save money on space.
Hahaha! you fucking retard

Lel my company used to be like that but a restructuring bumped me to hourly from salary. I still make the same but I don’t have to come in on the weekends anymore so it’s basically a raise. I’m the only one that sees the benefit. People are actually mad they aren’t at work on a Friday night wtf

nope. I have a nice job with pleasant coworkers. I encourage my coworkers to gtfo if they're still around when I leave at 5pm. the work isn't super exciting, but it's not mind numbing at least.

being on call for 10 weeks a year sucks, but other than that things are pretty comfy.

what company?

your on Sup Forums so who gives a fuck. I'm assuming bell media?

Yeah I fucking get that, I can do basic arithmetic.

The reason I haven't quit (yet) is there's supposed "room for advancement", it's a job related to my degree and it'll look good on a resume.

He hasn't taken the neetpill

A lot smaller than that. We're a "growing" tech company, about 30mil in revenue last year.

Today is my "day off". So while I'm not at the office, I'm still answering emails and working a presentation due Monday.

> 36k USD
Why didn't you find another job already?
If you actually know your shit, you can get at least 60k very easily.

Not where I live. I'd have to relocate to a larger city, where my cost of living would go up drastically. I'd be away from all my friends and family.

Also

sorry little america, the stem meme only applies in real america. most get their free/cheap degree in canada and get a job in the US asap only the suckers stay behind.

Your colleagues probably despise that phony corporate culture as well, but since those culture revolve around fake enthusiasm...

Software Engineer speakin

$150K per year here
Flex-time work policy.
21 days vacation.

Maybe you just are a poor performer.

My degree wasn't fucking free, not even close. I've got $30k in loans from tuition and textbooks.

And yeah I guess I'm a jackass for staying in my country of origin and not going to Burgerland to get pumped full of lead by some disgruntled overworked employee.

Oh so I get it, because your job sucks, everyone else's job also sucks. Okay.

Let me guess, California? New York? Some other hell hole where the cost of living is astronomical?

Uni in Canada is far from free

I know all too well, your situation.
>Worked in San Francisco, CTO of a startup
>Did all the shit you mentioned and more.
>bought by google for half a billion.
>Lost all my money.
>Had a total revelation on life, purpose, and happiness.
>moved to the countryside with a conservative red pilled white wife, own acres of land and grow produce and raise simple livestock

I'm the happiest I've ever been, and would never go back. The corporate rat race is a Jewish maze with no exit. Rise above and listen to your instinct.

Sounds like a cult. Get your experience and GTFO

>Get Software Engineering Degree
>Grades weren't terrific
>Market sucks when I get out of school
>Work a warehouse job for two years. $13/h. Still live with parents.
>After a year, I got an extra 25 cents and hour.

>Get hired by Software company in small town 2 hours away.
>$48,000 a year
>Move out of parents house to cheap apartment that's a 10 minute walk from the office.
>Kick ass and take names from the minute I walk in the door.
>Identify and fix bugs in the web system like a goddamn madman.
>After six months I got a raise to $51,000.

I'm half convinced all these 'Fell for the STEM meme' posts are just butt hurt Art majors.

Nope. Way to attempt to bring me down.

I live in one mid-size cities in the US.
You can easily buy a nice home here for $300K and schools aren't shit.

$150 is easy when you are expert at 3-4 languages and can do infrastructure.

Got the hustle going.

office environments have made me despise the word "solutions." I fucking hate the buzzword arms race. WRITE LIKE A NORMAL HUMAN YOU FAGGOTS.

i work in IT im BC for the govt doing sysadmin networking field work repairs innovation policy etc.
did some field contract jobs before that for various companies. its the same all over
ive been in the profession for over a decade now
theres a lot of push to "civilize and formalize" the tech industry especially with the grunts. they want corporate drones in tech and theres a bit of a rub because its hard to do that with any industry thats inconsistent and casebycase like IT.
it is a difficult thing to wrangle all this because its against the nature of a real "get the job done right" tech. many people in our field are now without skill or speciality. they are lazier.
IT has changed man. you have a few choices.
>aim high and climb the ladder to leadership
>suck it up and learn to deal with your expectations of the work environment
>get some tenure and experience then quit and maybe change your career path. these frustrating things arent going away.
theres no shame in changing careers. ive considered it many times myself. you have to be realistic and decide for yourself what to do.
i sympathize with you. ive been around a while and i know how soul sucking it can be.
good luck out there

So you're basically one of the brainwashed yuppies like my colleagues? Cool.

You earn a whole $4k/yr more than me, so $100 a paycheck? Awesome man. Sounds like you're ""living the dream"".

I can sympathize with these feels. I left a 35k USD job for a 4 month contract to hire 54k corporate I.T. job. Ran all their shit, only got let go at the end of the contract because they brought some poor dude with a family in for 10k less than me.

Havnt been able to find a job since. But damn I hated that job. Fuck corporate culture, it is a cancer.

this, I make $110k per year doing full-stack web dev

Alright well admittedly I'm not on your level... yet. And a nice home where I'm from is at least double what you're talking. Consider yourself lucky man.

>work in semiconductor engineering
>get in at 9, leave at 5 on the dot
>do maybe 1-2 hours of actual work, spend the rest of my time reading books I put on my phone or shitposting on /biz/ or flipping crypto
>70k/yr
>highest bonus in our department, job is easy as fuck compared undergrad
Canada is cucked

These guys making 40-60k are bottom feeders.

These people need to go on Glassdoor and Indeed and find out what their skills are worth and what places are hiring.

There are literally thousands of python jobs in America not in NY/CA that will pay 80K+

If you know AWS/GCE then you can make 90K+ as devops in most cities.

This stuff is a no-brainer

This exists in Canada too. When you get out of school, you need to accept that you actually don't know how to program unless you are the exception. I would say proficiency in just two languages is enough if you know infrastructure well (AWS/Azure/etc).
I make 95k/yr and I've only been out of school for 6 years, but I started at 40k/yr. You need to bust your freakin ass in the first 3-4 years to make imo, that's what I did and basically treated the first chunk of my career like school. That includes studying hard shit on projects outside of hours. It was well worth the effort.

Thanks man. I have thought about changing careers, I just have no idea WTF I'd do. And I should definitely pay down my loans before even considering going back to school.

What sectors do you think have good long-term forecasts other than IT?

Sounds like the army hahaha.

Ha

Here is a redpill for you cunts. Work by yourself helping small business modernize.
You have no idea how many small business are there all over the world who are doing things in the most rudimentary way.

I make good money making all sorts of websites and phone apps to help professionals and small business do their jobs. Seeing someone extremely happy and thankful for what I've done is so incredible satisfying I wouldn't change it for a corporate job paying x2 as much.

The hardest part is getting your first couple of clients. Once you do they'll set you up by sheer word of mouth. All the big box business/productivity software is jack of all trades master of none garbage. Custom made software that follows people's existing workflow and optimizes it is the future.

LOL, you think that’s hard?

t. Engineer at Tesla

>semiconductor engineering
That sounds exciting, what do you do day-to-day?

Although I will admit I am compensated well, good salary and benefits, and TSLA stocks.

do you have to go to uni to learn this shit?

but now your competing with that new amazon branch that does the same thing.

>what do you do day-to-day
Nothing, really
Well okay, in theory you are supposed to analyze why parts fail and crunch data etc. but it's really easy, mostly ends up being paperwork for new people. If I make enough money in crypto I will just quit and get my PhD in physics instead. Working is cucked as hell.

>TSLA stocks

Wew

wewwww

>My day at the (open concept)

Hahaha these torturous meme VC startups.

> "award winning corporate culture" of unpaid overtime and branded ping-pong matches.

My staid ancient tech company seemed uncool when they downsized the free water in 2000 before all these hipster daycares collapsed but wow did I ever learn valuable life lessons for not jumping across the street for a +20k raise and -15 years of job security.

The same morons that fall for leftist politics are programmed for slavery to fit right in to such abuse IMO.

I'd tell you what my work day was like in my horrible clandestinely Trump aligned stodgy republican tech company but you'd die of jealousy, I'm not kidding at all here.

There is no competition from companies like Amazon. An Amerilard got me started on this btw and he is doing all right.

You work for Shopify, don't you?

You do need to not be an autistic. Being able to establish a relationship with the client, to spend an hour talking about whatever.
The resulting product is irreplaceable for them compared to whatever "paradigm" the corporation was trying to shove down their throat.

Lmao at this. Also fuck your family and friends, move.

I'm not surprised. Tech companies have always had a reputation for treating their workers like shit while the owners of the company live it up on the company's money,

In my experience the reason this is the case is because founders of tech companies are usually cashed up 'big ideas' people who hire a bunch of spergs to do it for them. If the company becomes successful there are more 'big ideas' people who come in, kiss the ass of the main guy and put more pressure on the spergs to do everything.

My advice is to get out of tech and get into consulting. The pay is far better, the conditions are better (as everyone is both business and technical minded, there are no moron middle managers who just talk in buzzwords and can't do anything), and you will learn how to do something of value.

Also this.

Creating an app or a SaaS tool for some well explored field is a very crowded marketplace already. To make any money you need to tap a market that is underdeveloped and monopolise.

>get in startup with huge salary because lmao ml meme
>work very hard because first job, big salary, and the promise of more interesting work in the future
>they sell out to one of the big 5
>salary doesn't change
>food becomes inedible
>medical coverage gets worse
>they violate my work contract
>despite having had the most contributions in the whole company this year, get fuckall bonuses compared to everyone else
>turns out manager was shittalking me and lying about me
>turns out manager did the same before to become a manager over the person who was supposed to be it
>turns out manager is in a relationship with another manager and using that relation to prevent people from moving to other teams
>now relegated to being a computer janitor for the rest of time
>company says they'll never even so much as try to help me move to a position that is consistent with my work contract no matter how hard I work or how well I achieve results
They publicly announced they wanted to double the size of office they acquired by the same time next year, but didn't care when I said I'd quit under these conditions. They failed to hire even one person, as expected.
Since I'm still young I get to choose based on morals, but this is going to end soon.
Now every company wants to hire me, but only to be a high-salary'd computer janitor.

Worked at a "big firm" once in NYC, It's absolutely a cult in every sense of the word.
And the thing is, if the cult doesnt like your "personality", age disparity or "background" than you will end up a poor performer if you are james bond himself.
the projects you get assigned or dont get assigned are orchestrated by people called "directors" and "senior managers" , if they simply do not like the cut of your jib, OR are fucking one of the lower associate female cult members that dont like you.. than you will be railroaded out by being put on shit dead end projects or assigned no project at all to simply sit there for days like a chia plant pretending to work, until you quit or the 'cult performance review' comes around and says "bla bla bla nobody likes you, you used 14pt san-seriff font on that project, Security will help you clear your desk"

I can't get why this corporate environment exists the way it does.
The avarage person cares nothing for the buzzwords and empty sentences.
The avarage blue-collar worker couldn't care for it at all.
It only exists in the world of white collars, where everything must be pretentiously over-enthusiastic.
I fucking hate it. I could never work in even the smallest office because of it.
>the buzzword arms race.
Good way of putting it.

Bait. That isnt even remotely realistic for any country in tech that isnt India.

ALSO, what is your so-called "Tech Job"? That isnt a fucking job title. What do you actually do?

I work at a tech company, I do 20% fewer hours and get paid probably 40% more than you

youtube.com/watch?v=qImHuiYnVQ0

This. Do the math. Literally quit and take any job that makes you feel happier. Hell, you can probably have 2 or 3 low paying part time gigs you like and make the same money for the same amount of hourly output. And since your a fucking leaf, you get the same shitty universal healthcare whether you are a meat clerk at a grocery store or a tech wizard. So fuck it. Get our of there. I work with companies you are describing at a vendor relationship level and I agree, their cultish corporate cultures are toxic as fuck

Sounds like a shitty company to be honest. I got a "tech job" straight out of university with a £55k salary and 37.5 hour working week.

>tfw graduating soon and struggling to find a software dev job

Oh how I hate that shit. You can be as senior as you like, as long as you're not a damager you'll have fucking "daily standups" in this fucked up industry. And every fucking body pretends to like that chaingang. Cut me some slack already you bunch of wankers. My fellow engineers and I build the machinery you sell for all that sweet, sweet cash. That shit takes time. It takes effort. It does very much not take justifying myself to some busybody who hasn't got the slightest idea of what I'm working on every fucking day.

And the next time I hear "this is not supposed to be a status report" I'll rip that guys head off, spine and all. That's exactly what it's supposed to be, at least have the decency to quit lying about it.

I can't relate to your experience but as a communications guy I gotta say your pics are fucking hilarious.

I work at a tech company in san francisco in a business function with 4 years experience and make $130,000 salary + quarterly bonus + stock

and "50 hour" work weeks that involve barely any work

your company is trash

Can’t, I freelance as a musician. Poor as fuck but also free as fuck.

> Today is my "day off". So while I'm not at the office, I'm still answering emails and working a presentation due Monday.

You know, you could just not do that. Their lack of planning should not become your emergency. Nobody's going to die if you hold a shit presentation that you cobbled together in the morning. Been there, done that. They were grateful I held one at all.

All that matters is you getting payed then investing it into crypto.

> 21 days vacation.

That's not even the legal minimum here (24 days).

Scared pussfag thinks everyone in America get shot at work. Got watch more CNN faggot.

It always says 37.5 hours (because you have extra rights if it says 40 hours or more, wouldn't want that now would we). But people get fired for working less than 60 hours anyway.

Troll confirmed.
Cry more Canabro proxyfag.

>theres a lot of push to "civilize and formalize" the tech industry especially with the grunts. they want corporate drones in tech and theres a bit of a rub because its hard to do that with any industry thats inconsistent and casebycase like IT.

Yep. That's where all the fragile, scum and continuous intimidation madness is coming from. Googlebook and Faceazon are particularly good at that. They're tightly controlled hellholes with metrics, quotas and tons of automatic code quality checkers. But that's totally cool as long as you're a diverse place with tatooed, purple haired hipsters who get to bring their dogs.

feels good man

That's why I got into Maritime NSD-HTMS after the Army. $172,000-$204,000/Year (depending on contracts and location). We get paid the most to protect our contractee Merchant Ships in the Malacca Straights, Horn of Africa and Suez Canal.

>daily standup
>"this is not supposed to be a status report"
jesus christ, what the fuck else would it be?

>this, I make $110k per year doing full-stack web dev

Full fucking stack. That term needs to die. Everyone I ever heard refer to himself that way was a javascript monkey who wanted node.js installed on the servers.

They're from here: instagram.com/opu.tech

wait, is this correct? does universal HC in Canada actually mean you don't get usually a premium corporate HC package at a large tech company?

Because I do what OP does in Russia (for a tiny fraction of the pay), and it's normal here, at least in IT, that you typically have a healthcare plan that isn't our universal shit

Sounds like you need to do some serious digging for a job or make some serious decisions OP. "Room for advancement" is a lie, you know that.

Mine restructured after they started outsourcing. Gave us all the job description of the position above us, kept our job titles and pay the same, then said congratulations on keeping your job!

No, you get private healthcare with big companies. It covers:
- private clinics (aka the only way to get seen by a specialist without waiting 6 months to 2 years)
- glasses
- dentists
- meds
- medical aids on foreign soil
And a bunch of other things.
None of which is covered by public healthcare.

> jesus christ, what the fuck else would it be?

Beats me. They always mumble some incoherent bullshit about getting everybody on the same page and getting people talking to each other. Been that way in every company I've ever worked for.

Thanks man. Have you considered using your 1337 h4xx0r skills to start your own project? Jim an 'em were talking about the need for a right-wing Patreon/gofundme/kickstarter clone the other day, and the same could be said for youtube etc.

Anyone watch that show Corporate on (((comedy central)))? I'm convinced some of the writers lurk Sup Forums.

Sounds like you are working at IBM

A status report is supposed to be formal. A good standup is so that people have an idea what their team is doing, in an informal way.

Good standup is:
> I'm working on case JIRA-666, I'll need some help from Bob on the SQL stuff.

That's 10 seconds, and you know what everyone is working on and you don't need any formal bullshit.

That's what it's for. Now of course, this isn't always what happened, but the spiritual ideal of a standup is to deformalize the status report into a 2 sentence thingie.

If I were a comedy writer I'd lurk on here too just to leech off the spicy memes..

did you move to rural japan user?

Wait, why are you listing flex as some sort of perk? Flex is an absolute basic thing that everybody gets, because it makes it possible for people to have families, and people will quit their cushy 200k a year job to be a lumberjack if that means that they can have a family. Not giving people flex means that you're pushing away good people.

Unrelated to tech, but I make about the same salary as OP working for a small business that sells high end rugs and carpet. I deliver rugs to the highest valued properties in the state. Lots of drive time jamming to music or podcasts, I stay in shape, and I only interact with extremely wealthy people who are stoked to see their new $30k rug installed. Great health coverage, 4 weeks vacation, manager is kind of an autistic worry wart but he's alright. I smoke pot with the owner regularly. Hey I'm not getting rich but DAMN it covers my needs and isn't brutal.

> A status report is supposed to be formal. A good standup is so that people have an idea what their team is doing, in an informal way.

Why do you spout the party line on here of all places? It's really ok to tell it how it is, nobody here will fire you.

> Good standup is:
>> I'm working on case JIRA-666, I'll need some help from Bob on the SQL stuff.

With the Bob appendix that's "Bob, can you help me for a bit there?". Without it it's just a fucking status report to get the useless dipshit in a suit who calls himself scrum master off your back. Redundant, in other words.

> That's 10 seconds, and you know what everyone is working on and you don't need any formal bullshit.

I've never seen a standup take up more than half an hour. And I've seen that shit in plenty of companies. Quit shilling.

> That's what it's for. Now of course, this isn't always what happened, but the spiritual ideal of a standup is to deformalize the status report into a 2 sentence thingie.

The spiritual idea of communism is to make everybody happy and equal. Funny how it never works out that way, though...

What do I need to learn to land a nice tech job in the USA?

Want to go full full stack web dev.

Focus in .Net & Angular which backbone is better, AWS or Azure ?

tips pls.

Kek

So google employees arel literal bugmen who wouldn’t be missed

Good to know

yeah thats why I work in the same town I grew up in with several comfy small time gigs for the city and parks and my own handyman stuff. people call me a loser but I just get to make my own day and be out in nature most of the time. I saw that corporate cunt world one time as a guy installing light fixtures in a programming or advertising office and it was like something from THX 1138. all the people were like androids

What is a “tech job?” Be specific!

Azure is always the wrong tool for the job.