This is considered a masterpiece and yet Steamboy is basically all but forgotten

This is considered a masterpiece and yet Steamboy is basically all but forgotten.

ok

thats because steamboy isnt good OP

It's a shame Akira is untouchable because I'd like to see a full series that follows the manga plot more closely.

This. Akira has its flaws, but it's still great in a lot of ways. Steamboy just isn't.

As if weebs have decent taste

akira is a 8/10 and im being generous. the real masterpiece movies from the 90s are perfect blue and Ghost in the shell-

There's a lot of garbage that shouldn't be famous that is and a lot of good stuff that nobody knows about. Especially with older shows where people didn't have the internet to get recs like we do now it basically amounted to luck and how much marketing any given series or movie got at the time as to whether it got well known or not.

This applies even more for manga because there are a lot of people that just refuse the read manga at all while scarfing down mediocre anime. Like Sup Forums

Steamboy is the perfect example of setting the table but not having any food.

This. The movie missed a shit ton. But that show would be waaaay too fucking long they should just do two movies. Pre akira wakening and post

Steamboy was probably the most boring and soulless movie I've ever seen. Even [insert Shinkai film here] had more character.

>perfect blue and Ghost in the shell
Almost made be laugh, but then I realized that you are probably serious. Also
>akira
>90s

Fuck off, ESL-kun.

>akira is a 8/10
i give it a 6/10 at best, pretty cool movie.

>perfect blue and Ghost in the shell-
probably 3/10 each.

see the thing with japanese movies is that they have charm but lack anything else.

neither is good, and seems to me that you just love dumb psycological memes, which is fine this is Sup Forums i guess.

Eh. I tried liking Steamboy, but felt it wanting.

Steamboy fucking sucks.

Saying the movie "missed a shit ton" is kinda besides the point.
It being a movie is one of it's strengths.
I don't think an entire adaptation of the manga would work as well as the movie does on it's own.

>shitting on movies like Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Perfect Blue
>browse the catalogue. The board is filled with trash

These movies are cool but they aren't that great. I agree with that. However just look at the typical trash discussed in this board. The movies look pretty superior on comparision.

>These movies are cool but they aren't that great. I agree with that.
That's because you have shit taste.

>steampunk

>see the thing with japanese movies is that they have charm but lack anything else.
The funny thing is that this is implying the western world has better films but three famous movies (Inception, Black Swan, and Requiem For A Dream) are all inspired by Satoshi Kon and they said so themselves.

>but they aren't that great
GitS and Akira at least have exceptional visuals, so they masterpieces in that regard. Pity that Oshii only managed to direct a single great movie in his life time, and it isnt GitS.

And Perfect Blue was inspired by American neo-noir films. It's almost like there's more to artistic influence than your little weeaboo mind wants to admit.

It's Patlabor Movie 1 right?

Not him but influence means literally nothing. Being inspired by something simply means that an idea has potential. It doesnt mean that the movie was good OR that the idea was even used to its fullest potential in the work it first appeared in. Its time to stop with this fucking meme, pretending that a work being influential means that its good. People have spouted this shit for way too long.

steamboy had very little heart and dragged on for way too long

akira ends with tetsuo and kaneda coming to terms with their rivalry and friendship and understanding each other, and tetsuo accepting his fate and creating a new universe

Maybe its 2, then. Patlabor 1 wasnt Oshii enough for me to even consider it to be Oshii, especially considering the fact that he went full "muh" with Dallos, AE and BD prior to it (how the fuck did he even go back to making a character driven mecha movie with slap stick humor after those?). In Patlabor 2 he at least tackles a topic that justifies using the characters as mouth pieces. A topic that doesnt have an easy conclusion because, due to being more related to the politics of a nation, can change on a whim. Unlike the psychological and philosophical questions that he tries to approach in Urusei, GitS or JinRoh, which just fall flat in the process. CBA analyzing every single frame of Angels Egg to tell whether or not that movie is conclusive or thought-provoking in any form of shape.

Yes but who should I trust more? The random guy on the internet saying an anime is shit or the wildly successful and famous directors who thought it was good enough to copy it?

Why on earth should Steamboy be remembered? There are very good reasons for why Akira is considered a masterpiece.

Learn to read. Copying SCENES and or even ENTIRE PRODUCTS does not mean that you think that they are good. It simply means that you think that the concept or that the approach are good and, in many cases, think that you can do a better job. This doesnt say ANYTHING about the overall quality of the work (and the directors opinion on it) you mentally deranged nigger. If I make an Isekai then that doesnt mean that I think that Isekai are good, simply that I think I can make a better story using the setting. Its the same with those scenes. You steal the scenes/setting/idea but its good, not because the entire product is. How is that so hard for you to understand?

Fuck off. Either explain why you don't like Perfect Blue, or eat a dick. You're just throwing your opinion around and expecting anyone to give a fuck without offering any substantive critique.

>moving the goal post
All I did was point out why youre retarded for assuming that a work having influence says anything about its overall quality, particularly in regards to directors reusing scenes or getting inspired by them.

A trilogy would work, but since it wouldn't have the care and detail of the first adaptation, it would never work.

>>moving the goal post
Wrong, I'm not the person you've been replying to. I just find your substanceless shitposting infuriating. People don't copy things they find devoid of value. That's not how art works.

>The movie missed a shit ton
Hmmmmm maybe that's because it was made when the manga was still being published you fucking idiot.

>People don't copy things they find devoid of value
Are you illiterate or something?

>And Perfect Blue was inspired by American neo-noir films.
I can tell you watched some shitty youtube essay bullshit and decided to spout this dumb nonsense here.
Unless you can get a quote from Kon himself saying this, it's not true.

>He wants to remember a story about a boy chasing a can of infinite steam.
Shit was dumb. No matter how much money and talent you throw at a bad idea, shit's still bad.

>I can tell you watched some shitty youtube essay bullshit
Wut, no. I watch things and make my own opinions.

>Unless you can get a quote from the person who copied something admitting that he copied something
Why bother studying law when its that easy? What a ripoff.