dynamicrangeday.co.uk/about/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_mastering
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Horrendous!

Excellent mastering

Dynamic range is a meme.

>musics

More like Sup Forums

Does Aphex Twin's face show up in any of these?

It's funnier when you can tell the characters' are messed up

Most modern music, anime included, have awful mastering.

I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly this has to do with anime or manga beyond the most tenuous of tertiary associations.

Honestly. This is discussing music production and mastering, not anime or manga. Are we lumping this together with general "animation" discussions? I can see the argument there, but this is a bit of a stretch from that. How far into the discussion on production can we go before we're not discussing anything anime or manga related anymore?

Serious questions.

I think it's fine as long as it's anime-related, which it is. Think of it as an anime OST discussion but with a more "technical" slant.

Sure, but I think when you stop discussing the song itself or the song in regards to the anime or how it affects the industry, you've gone too far. When we're literally comparing decibel graphs and spectrum displays, I think we aren't really discussing the music itself anymore, and we're definitely outside the range of discussing anime or manga.

I mean, this is an incredibly interesting thing to discuss in my opinion, but I think this belongs on Sup Forums or Sup Forums more so than Sup Forums, and I think the fact that songs happen to be anime OST's is a weak argument.

>anime-related

Yeah like starting threads about seiyuus' feet

The OP single for Houkago no Pleiades didn't look it peaked but the drums clips all the fucking time. Luckily it was fixed in a later release of the song.

It's the industry standard and has nothing to do with anime, if you want to blame someone blame whoever invented digital audio processing which allowed people to see the actual waveform.

That technology has existed for nearly 40 years. Blame Rick Rubin who started the loudness war almost single-handedly.

Polite sage for being an off board topic faggot.

Those don't belong either. 3DPD and all that.

Dude, thanks for reminding me that. That fucking song is one of the worst mastering I ever seen. Clipping to hell and back

More likely that the sound director has no fucking clue of what to do
MONACA usually has very good mastering

Well I'm not the board police so it's no big deal to me, it's not like threads like this one are commonplace. I think it's nice to see technical issues being discussed once in a blue moon. This sort of topic is similar to the discussions of the prevalence of dimming and ghosting in TV anime, which does have treads on a rare occasion.

Symphogear also used to have good mastering, but shit happened with GX and now they are god awful

Got any Sawano OSTs?

>sound director
Pretty sure the anime studio has nothing to do with most anime OP/ED, it's the artist's company that produces the songs.
I don't know about those OPs with the show's seiyuus singing it though.

At least those threads are more interesting than the 3DPD circlejerk general #257452

As expected from a hack like Sawano, quite bad mastering but still better than most.

Post Kino no Tabi's ED.

I'd like to see something from Escaflowne, especially Shadow of Doubt.

>scrot
>i3
my savannah herd member

I only have mp3 but KnT is more than 15 years ago so it still has good mastering

I have no idea what that means, but at least now I know anons going on about it aren't talking out of their asses.

I don't know really understand why but Madoka despite an Aniplex show has really high quality matering

>bad mastering (aka loudness war)
Can you please educate me about this? Why is loudness war bad mastering? Is Mastering all about the peaks? I've been thinking that mastering is more than peaks, but looks like you are an expert on this topic and you're telling me that compressing the song it's bad and nobody should use it because it doesn't look pretty when you look at it. I though that music was for hearing, not looking.

>it's a "the spectogram doesn't look flat so it has great mastering" episode
You're a fucking idiot if you think dyunamic compression is all mastering does, and look up orchestral OSTs like the hibikek one for full dynamic range, these examples are all pop music of course they're going to compress the shit out of it.

Then expplain to this idiot why Hibike only use half of the dynamic range while still sounding great while others clips half of the sample points and sound like fucking shit if it is not bad mastering?

>inb4 jack

O wate wrong thread

The mastering process usually deals with dynamic range compression, reverberation, harmonic exciter, plus various filters like EQ. The point is to make the finished bounces from the mixer(s) to sound cohesive, like they belong to the same album while having the final product intended to be listened by the customer in mind.
It's a bit more complicated than "oh this waveform looks flat, so the mastering is bad", but bad dynamic range is a good indicator of it.

this, you could take an unmastered track and spend about 5 minutes and get it looking like what OP says a well mastered track looks like but it would be the worst mastering job ever.

there's a difference between clipping and compressing the fuck out of it.

This is a good website to read about: dynamicrangeday.co.uk/about/
Basically when mastering, there is no need to blow the RMS power to -5 dB where the recoring is -15 dB.
Dynamic range compression is inherently bad but when you cross the 0dB line it is just shit.
Basically it is a shitty trend of music for no god damn reason

See DRC is okay, but when you can see the obvious clipping in the waveform is it just bad mastering.
And a good mastering always tries to have peak power at -1dB, hard clipping is just bad mastering

>The point is to make the finished bounces from the mixer(s) to sound cohesive, like they belong to the same album
Who's talking about albums and where did you get this definition?
>It's a bit more complicated than "oh this waveform looks flat, so the mastering is bad"
It's look like all this thread is about, since anons are only posting images of the peaks and some few frequency images.
This is complicating me more, user.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_mastering
>Mastering requires critical listening; however, software tools exist to facilitate the process. Mastering is a crucial gateway between production and consumption and, as such, it involves technical knowledge as well as specific aesthetics.
I'm not OP, I think this thread is dumb too.

Pretty sure that OP's point is that clipped peaks are evidence for bad mastering, not that all bad mastering is clipped peaks.

>bad mastering (aka loudness war)
He was clear. In fact he told us that all bad mastering is loudness war.

you got a point there. that's stupid.

Yeah well sure, peaking is always bad, completely even dynamic is bad, but posting a picture of a waveform with some gaps in it and then claim is has "good" or "excellent mastering" is retarded, that's not what all mastering does.

probably the most autistic thread on Sup Forums, currently

Why are you telling me this?