Is there any reason America should stay on the imperial system?

Is there any reason America should stay on the imperial system?

Other urls found in this thread:

cnbc.com/2015/06/04/why-the-us-hasnt-fully-adopted-the-metric-system.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

cause it's superior
you know how dumb you sound saying 'millimeters'
fucking retaded

Yeah

(((they))) hate it

Did you just get finished measuring your dick?

It is best to use both systems. Metric for science, Imperial for construction.

Why?

Real question is: Is there any reason why any of us still use a number system that includes the placeholder 0 as a fucking number

Yes. Humans relate better to imperial than metric.
Metric should be used for machines and objects only.

So only robots use metric then?

Measures
>anglos: pounds, ounces, yard, feet...
>rest of the world: meter, centimeter, milimeter...
Music:
>anglos: A,B,C,D,E,F,G
>rest of the world:Do,Re,Mi,Fa,Sol,La Si

>anglos: withworth thread
>rest of the world: ISO thread

The list goes on:
As a machinist, I can't hate enough the eternal anglo. They are hanging on this stuff for a matter of pride. they must use their medieval measure system to show how strong they are.
It would be sad if it wasn't so infuriating

We already tried to convert in 1975 with Metric Conversion Act. It didn't stick.

Tell me more.

>how tall are you?
>im 6ft tall
>oy, you silly yank, i think you right mean 1,83 metres tall!

LOS»T

Chinese immigrant here. I lived all my life under the SI system until I came to Canada and people started using inches, feet, gallons etc. It's all very confusing to me because I'm used to thinking in metres and litres.

The "ounce" is even more retarded, apparently there's a different definition for volume and weight measurements, wtf.

The measuring height in feet and inches is another thing I don't understand.

>I'm 180 cm tall
Straight forward, easy to understand at first glance.

>I'm 5 ft 10 in
Convoluted system of two different units, which aren't base 10.

we drill in feet weigh in tone miles, a barrel is 42 gallons.

Americans use both standard and metric daily. The rest of the world is too dumb to learn both.

Imagine having to teach those retarded people in that country another measurement system

cnbc.com/2015/06/04/why-the-us-hasnt-fully-adopted-the-metric-system.html

imperial system makes you use your non nigger brain to make calculations

Imperial is good for human-scale estimates.
1 foot = 1 foot
1 step = 1 yard
0 degrees F = lowest bearable temp
100 degrees F = highest bearable temp

good for human-scale estimates.
>implying everybody has the same foot lenght
>implying everybody has the same endurance to temperature.
Come on USA, I want to think that "al americans are idiots" is just a meme and you are making it difficult

People are different.

>What is an estimate

I think you’re just retarded mate. They are both easy to quickly understand. Yet more proof of American superiority

No. it's shit.

1000m = 1km

1000mm = 1m

100mm = 0.1m

10mm = 0.01m

1000ml = 1L

100ml = 0.1L

10ml = 0.01L
so much easier in every way.

Cause thats how we measure our dicks

Kek

no. the only argument for keeping it is that the average person couldn't adapt easily.
the solution to that is to use both systems simultaneously and start phasing out the imperial system

The imperial system is based on things that people can roughly measure without tools to do so (inches, feet, yards, miles). It’s better for the average non scientist/engineer.

Metric was agreed to be used globally so that science from all nations can use the same measurements and not end up with conversion errors.

if you were taught maths in school then you can adapt. jesus. one of the first things you learn is units, tens, hundreds, thousandths. which is how metrics works keeping everything in relation, how hard can it be.

Yes it cost the american nation billions each year in international trade and commerce. Americans wasting money is the thing your second best at after getting shot.

Spite.
:^)

bullshit. all of our tape measures here are in mm, cm and metres. I have worked in trades and metric is far superior. mm lets you be way more accurate when you are measuring wood or metal or plastic to be cut to dimension. would you rather cut something at 1/15th of a 1/4 of an inch or.... 12mm.... that argument is weak.

Because we don't fucking like the Europeans' worthless bullshit?

It's easy if it's just feet an inches. But then you have yards yards and miles, acres which are some arbitrary bullshit. Weight isn't too bad with just ounces, pounds, and tons being the only units really used, but volume is an absolute clusterfuck in every possible way.

There is a stretch of interstate 19 that has metric road signs. Why metric, because at one time the U.S. tried to convert but it didn't work. Now they can't afford to replace the road signs. That is just one small area. The metric conversion isn't going to happen.

it has to be a transition. I.E include both on the road signs then slowly phase out imperial. that's what was done here. things would be listed in imperial and metric then eventually imperial was removed and everyone went full metric. nobody is expecting an immediate transition overnight.

Fuck Europe. That is all.

Oi 'ow many stone ya weigh brudda?

kek

my scale measures in kg

what the fuck is the imperial system

If it pisses off liberals I'm for keeping it. They think it makes them more European the silly fat fucks.

>wow math is hard huh?

every equation works just fine. You just need a brain. BTW how many cm in a cubit?

Hmmm

>but I can't relate metric to everyday life
Because you weren't brought up with it.
I can't relate imperial to everyday life without first converting to metric.

>arm-span = 2 meters
>a milk carton = 1 liter = 1 kilogram
>0 celsius = water freezes, 37 celsius = body temperature, 100 celsius = boiling water
Frankly, I find your argument absurd.

>measurements
>political

Only in America

Id really doesn't matter at all.

If metric is so superior, why do you use the mass measurement (kg), instead of the weight measurement (N)?
Because it unwieldy for everyday use, just like the rest of the metric system.

I worked for several years in my father's metal shop which used imperial. Now I am a PhD holding scientist. I have no problem using both systems and can switch back and forth with no problem.

I can imagine exactly how big a 1/64th of an inch is, and I can also think in mm. I can understand how heavy something is if somebody uses ounces or grams. It's not difficult.

if you work at mcdonalds sure, it doesn't

Yes, you are our colony, obey us!

Masonic reasons.

why don't you use the weight measurement N instead of pounds? what the fuck argument is that

>day/month/year
Do non-burgers really think like this?

yes because it makes sense to put them in the order of which this occur. maybe not to mentally retarded mutts. but to everyone with a brain.

they*

Iam fine with inches and feet but havent grasped the weight units. Like how many pounds is 80g? Do you even have a tonne equivalent? What the heck is stone? What about small amount of liquid? Do diabetics inject like 1/2000 of a gallon of Insulin?

Because it's inefficient

When people in Europe buy a sheet of plywood or whatever silly thing you call it do you buy it in 4'X8' sheets or do you have to buy them in 1.2192m X 2.4384m sheets?

Rather 1,2m x 2,4m maybe ?

2400mm x 1200mm

wow so difficult

Back in the 70s the Carter administration started putting up road signs along the interstates in metric and people all over the country proceeded to shoot them down.

When people in Murrica buy sheet metal do you buy it in 1/8 or 3/16 in or whatever instead of 1 or 2 or 5mm thickness?

oh wait, yes you do, lol.

>claim WE IZ INDIE NAO
>still use your former mastah's measurment system

Whitworth went out of use a lifetime ago Juan.
I'll concede carrying about a set of Metric+Imperial+whitworth spanners was a right pain in the ass though. I don't even remember the last time I used a fixing that wasn't metric. Even Imperial is mostly just on legacy machinery now.
>BSP excepted

No one is going to pay for new signs is the point. Overall there is little incentive for the average person to make the switch.

My car gets 40 rods to the hogs head and that's the way I like it.

Funny thing is, I don't see any problem at all in buying wood, pipes or metal in 3/8, 5/8 or any other fraction of an inch sizes.

even their master has moved onto metric, which makes it even funnier. not only do they claim to bees frees but they also keep the same units of measurement as their oppressor which themselves have migrated to the superior system. lmao.

meant for

I agree. Both systems are great for different reasons.

Dick measurement.

meant for im too drunk already.

you don't see how numbers like 1, 2 or 5 are better than numbers like 3/8 or 5/8 ? you truly are an american

>mutts unironically fall for this ploy
I bet your Irish grandpa is rolling in his grave right now.

Depends how accurate you want them to cut it.

How do you order something to fit exactly in America?
Like let's say a curtain rail that has to fit exactly inside a window?

you don't pay for new signs. you wait for the signs to need replaced. it takes years of course. but that is the transition period. it takes many many years.

How do you measure the thickness of a standard 8x4 sheet?
12mm or 1/2"
20mm or 3/4"?

>mfw Americans use month/day/year except on the 7/4 whe they call it "the fourth of July" in celebration of independence but use the british/euro system of date order an that particular day

it boggles the mind, it really does

9mm or 12.5mm for the most used.

Sacred Geometry. Also the fact in general use it makes more sense to the human mind, the medium sized trade/personal measurements for food and drink especially.

I'm not used to the metric system, therefore it's degenerate

Makes sense.

because it makes euros mad

no

Three-hundred hectares on a single tank of kerosene.

DESU I think Metric is more logical and would prefer it.

>Brits can't process something as simple as a difference in spoken and written language

>Measuring stuff with your feet

I guess something else was too small to be used for measuring.

fucking lol

>8x4 sheet
>2 inch nails
>16" divisions on a real non-meme tape measure.
The trades, especially construction are still imperial in spirit. Get a real tape measure with both.

why do you need to process something which if written in a certain way requires no processing.. do you often try to make things more difficult for yourself for no apparent reason?

Well then why dont you go back to China instead if trying to change your host country? Ungrateful immigrant pig.

>nails

what century do you live in

The one where 12.5mm is half inch

how else would you build wooden houses?