Prepping Tips? Long shelf life food?

So I have a brand new 5 gallon bucket with lid. I want to pack it with the longest shelf life and calorie rich food I can manage. I would like to have enough food in this bucket to possibly keep me from having to leave my house for a week. The food doesn't have to taste good but it has to be high calorie, something that will sustain me. What do i put in it?

Other urls found in this thread:

tesla.com/powerwall
census.gov/history/www/innovations/technology/the_hollerith_tabulator.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dry beans, best if sealed in mylar with oxygen absorbers before placed in bucket.

Raw honey

god damn this or jerky

forgot pic

gravy powder.

you'll thank me later when the fields are full of animals and you have no fucking gravy

HA this is a good idea actually. I hunt and trap now so i am well suited for this. But if something shitty happens to society i would like to be able to just hunker down for as long as i can and stay out of it. but yes i will be adding a few packets of gravy powder. I was also thinking hard tack. Specifically pic related. Where I live this stuff is everywhere. The hard bread is really hard and needs to be soaked in water but the sweet bread has more sugar added and this makes it able to be broken up and eaten without soaking. Also yes i have access to enough clean water.

could protein powder sustain someone? I don't use it so I'm curious if a gallon of it would be worth saving for prep

Go to sams club and buy 50# bag of rice, and a 50# bag of beans. That is all the calories you need for 6 months. You can store it for 30 years by dry canning it in mason jars.

Bullets.

If anything it would be a good addition to your diet if you were down to just the high carb items.

thats already covered.

Gravy powder has another name. We also call it flour. Your best bet with long term storage of flour is get yourself a freezer, and freeze it for as long as you can, and when the power goes off, get it out of freezer before it gets wet.

When it comes to prepping remember that you've got to live after the violent event and breakdown of society.
Do more than just stock up on ammo.
Learn a trade like metal or woodworking. Learn to farm or at least grow your own food.
Learn about first aid at least

I would imagine if i added a couple gallon jugs of canola or peanut oil to this it would cover the carbs, protein and fats... Noice.

Disagree on bullets. Store crack cocaine instead. Then use the crack cocaine to bribe the post apocalypse druggies to go get you bullets.

Honey, beef jerky, some sort of lentils.
Get your honey from your local bee farmer, usually you can get it in nice big pales.
Get more buckets.

I have about 70 ideas here, but pol posts seem to work best if they are not tldr

I am thinking about adding a pack of lifeboat rations to the bucket. They are very high calorie biscuits that taste like wax but have hundreds of calories and lots of vitamins.

I don't like your bucket idea. Go with smaller containers, then hide them, in different locations. Like make the 30 year dry storage items i told you about, then remodel a bedroom in your house, and put them in the wall in between the studs. Just assume that people will steal from you after law falls apart. If you have to trade your life for supplies, you can take them to one cache, then you still have the other caches.

I am also not limited to one bucket. I have a good dry and cool out of the way spot to put a few. The more we brain storm the more i think of things. I have a feeling some individual serving 3 in one instant coffee packets would be an appreciated luxury.

I like the way you think.

Check out the Mormon church.
They are miles ahead on the food thing.

The best thing you can advance yourself in to survive a post apocalypse is your body and your knowledge of your surroundings. Not to turn it into a cringe fest but if you highly suspect something bad is going to happen the best thing for you to do is to create a back up insurgency plan where you create a small militia of like minded individuals. A prepper group. Have a meeting. Share information. Share a spot where you all agree to meet and plan a day where you all go there.
You cannot survive this alone. You will need others as back up. Have radios channeled to the same frequency.

Great ideas. I thought about and stored it back, stupidly enough, after Joel says how much he misses coffee in Last if Us

>like-minded
yup
I think a *small*group is key.

If you want people who will always fight for you find a nice blue eye blond girl and repeatedly fuck her until you have a small army of sons.

Don't forget a squad of girls that can perform various essential functions in and around your bugout camp or safehouse.

Lard

If you're prepping don't forget about water. Buy something where you can store a large amount of water with minimal evaporation.

My hunting buddies and we already have the radios covered. We use Baofeng walk talks on a private frequency for running deer.

>radios channeled to the same frequency
Why?

Toilet paper, soap, hygiene products and toothpaste/brushes will be worth their weight in bullets.

>private frequency
He he

I have two new blue plastic 50 gallon barrels. in my basement rafters and a garden hose to fit on the faucet in my laundry room sink for quick filling.

Maybe I'm an idiot. But last I operated a radio you both have to be on the same channel to talk to each other clearly.

Internet may not work.

Have fun eating bullets...

Good. And I did read if you do store water for a long period you should change it out every 6 months to prevent it from going stale.

yea i know. Its just a random frequency My buddy picked when he programmed them for us. It is in the 440mhz range. Its private enough. As long as we keep the radio traffic to a minimum and speak in code like we do now i think we can avoid most of the scanner listeners.

>same channel
Channels are for CBers. The same frequency is for radio operators.

everyone says to put rice in maylar bags(don't forget to iron it shut) in buckets like that.

Do you think satellite Internet would still work?

I have well water and a battery backup for the pump if the power is out. I have been also trying to figure out a way to hook a hand pump to the well in a last rich scenario.

Yes but how powerful are your radios? Are you assuming everyone lives within range? Do you think staying on one channel is a good survival tactic? Do you know how much power radio batteries draw?

dried foods are best, canned goods are second best

You fucking Baofeng lids are the bane of all Amateur Radio users existence. It's not hard to get licensed unless you're retarded.

This.
I always thought it would be a good idea to create a drug empire in an apocalyptic situation. People are sad and would want drugs. You can get entire civilizations hooked on your stuff.

Not to mention, radio waves can be picked up by literally anything, like your headphone cable, and the right frequency can be found by either shortening or extending the cable

Depends on what happened. If all the servers and ground stations within line of site of that sat are down, no.

For a last ditch scenario I would buy something like this. Just in case things get extremely dire.

I was talking to Venezuela, Suriname and Aruba last night from The U.P. on the power of a light bulb.

There are literally enough acorns in the US to feed the entire world. Processing acorns is a pain in the ass and weevils will become your worst enemy, but it's a free and plentiful source of food if you need it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Because a ham radio license after SHTF will be important. I have no interest in talking to old boomers about their radio gear for hours on end. So i have no need to occupy the airwaves unnecessarily. I also have a galaxy saturn CB radio and an antron 99 antenna stowed away. haven't figured out how to power it yet when the power is out. Im thinking cheap chinese solar panels and a couple deep cycle marine battery.

I recommend purchasing some sodium hypochlorite (AKA bleach crystals). No, this isn't a meme/joke. A small amount of bleach is suitable for killing any bacteria in your water, and the bleach crystals don't ever go bad (liquid bleach breaks down into salt water after some time). Also, buy some spices/salt. You'll go insane if you eat nothing but bland beans and rice for days on end.

A single bullet has a lifetime's worth of nutrients.

Careful or you'll literally fry your eyes off if you do it improperly

Talk to your local druggie. Tell him you'll offer protection in exchange for new drug routes and also enjoy being dead faster than you can count to 10 on your fingers. The only thing holding back druggies if they get desperate is consequences for killing you over the drugs. That would be the scariest thing to be working in. Not to mention normies would actively hunt you down for all the negative BS you would attract or drive you out of places.

i cant imagine 440 mhz will propagate in any situation.

Yes, but why not get licensed, learn how to use your equipment properly, not risk getting fox-hunted by those old boomers and fined by the government, and use your equipment legally?

definitely going to remember this and i am going to read tonight on what to do to process them,

thats what i read, i've got some water i've had for a year and it's not bad.

Well if you have the money something like this could easily power your CB radio and be a potential lifesaver.
tesla.com/powerwall

Probably not. We get about 60-70 miles with out 100 watt repeater in my club. I've had Sporadic-E propagation where it was over a 1000 miles but that's obviously a fluke.

Its called scanning the airwaves. Literally going on any channel is risky. All it takes is a click of a button, a quick scan, and you have a list of every frequency being used in your area

I would imagine how you store it and where you live could impact how long stored water is good for.

>Buying plastic containers full of estrogen and other poisonous compounds to store food for a long time....

Way to go leaf...lol

have a hard copy of all the local emergency,fire,police frequencies.

You can also create a squirrel pole using a stick and tying a bunch of nooses on it and leaning it against a tree. So you can have squirrel meat and acorns and also make pemmican.

You can get an SDR dongle for your PC to scan the airwaves now for SIGINT. Will likely be useless after SHTF though.

live somewhere where you can leave your freshly hunted meat outside the door to your house

That's what the mylar bags are for.

They have statistics to determine who of you are preppers and who of you have guns (even if you built them from a block of metal). They’ve had this ability for a while.

census.gov/history/www/innovations/technology/the_hollerith_tabulator.html

There is no ‘off the grid.’

This but not in your house. Assume there will be mass fires and no one to put them out. Bury your goods.

Nice way to attract polar bears.

Jerky doesn't last very long.
If you want long term meat there is freeze dried meat.

and the reason i am not saying i am licensed because i prefer to remain user... I might be and i might not be. I understand propagation. Have a bagged ready to go dipole antenna and an Antron 99 dismantled and wrapped in Saran wrap in my basement rafters. A Galaxy Saturn with the jumper added so i can get to 27.555 if needed or the Super Bowl... That would be another good place to listen. Because i believe those would be the best places to hear any long distance updates post SHTF, oh and I almost forgot. I have a long wire antenna in my attic and a Kenwood R-600 hooked to it for general listening.

I've never filled out a census form in my entire life.

>Nice way to attract polar bears
Bear meat isn't to bad, it's win-win, free freezer and food lure

The key to prepping is haveing food you actually eat often in large amounts

No one ITT will survive the days that are soon to come.

Yeah that's what I mean. That's a lot of meat.

Dig a hole. Best advice I could give anyone.

crackers, peanut butter, honey, whiskey / mead / wine, spam, canned tuna, fruit preserves, canned vegetables, big bags of rice (shit keeps forever and is cheap), dried corn, spices to make the food taste better, ramen, oatmeal, etc.

Flour instead of rice. Unless you are Asian rice is probably not right for. It's not a meme, Asians evolved to survive off rice, whites survived off wheat.

they sell anti emp bags on the internet if you want to go extra mad max hardcore style. kek

McDonald’s cheeseburgers

Rich in calories and litterally never go bad

flour doesn't last long.

I have a compact 4inch springfield xd9 which will be used as back up on terrain walks.
I have a 12 gauge pump shotgun for small game and CQ or simply to arm someone else
I have an AR15 for entertaining the idea of a firefight
I have a ruger 10/22 take down .22 for small game hunts and long term survival.

Honestly guns aren't exactly going to make you immediately the winner of any SHTF situation but if you have a small amount for different purposes it's definitely better.

I'm actually training a little by going out today to walk around in BLM lands and shoot some shit with my guns.

You could just use a metal box without holes in it, assuming it is conductive all around it should work just fine to block signals.

Just buy canned food regularly. Consumne the cans that you've kept for more than one year, and buy new ones. Same thing with bottled water. That way it's not wasted money as you are still eating/drinking what you buy, but at the same time you're keeping a fresh supply in reserve.

Peanut butter. I wonder if i can get that in individual packets like the restaurant.

One of the reasons I keep an IC-7300 around is because it covers HF to VHF. It's mostly a back-up unit and I take it to Field Day and to teach the Scouts for their Radio Badges but it will run off my car and I can them relay/report in a disaster if needed. My main radio is just too bulky for such a thing.

Don't do crack.
Selling that stuff at the end of the world would put the largest target on your back.
Either learn how to ferment alcoholic beverages or learn how to grow poppies.
If you can do either of those things. You'll be the wealthiest man at the end of the world.

every time i go in the grocery store someone is buying massive amounts of water, just weird.

Make sure you've got some of pic related. It goes on everything.

Thanks Americans, I love this stuff

Store moonshine, it never goes bad and has a lot of calories, you can use it to warm yourself and even make molotovs, can use to steralize wounds..

rice then displace all other gasses with argon
you will get a 10-15 year shelf life

I have three AR15, a Famae SG 542, Two SKS a Glock 17 and a sig sauer P226 both in 9mm. As well as my scoped hunting rifles and browning BPS shotgun. And enough factory ammo to last a little while for each. I also hand load. So thats covered.