Scanlation Thread

currently cleaning shit because of boredom, need to find a new translator for a project I'm doing, not sure how exactly to tell the old one I'm dropping him though
what about you guys

Other urls found in this thread:

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/223327-REG/Kinetronics_KSCS030_Digital_Scanner_Cleaning_Kit.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ooh, drama.

Give us the deets.

not anything as big as drama, if I prod him he says he'll have the translation in a day or two and then doesn't say anything to me until I prod him again and he says it again
I said it's fine if he wants to drop it because he's too busy but he said it's fine, he just forgot, so I rolled with it
I think I've been waiting about a month for translations

There's two ways you can go about it:
>Say that you want to try working with other people or teams. [obtuse]
>Explain why you don't want to continue working with him on this project and ensure he understands that it's not a personal attack on him. [direct]

Three
>Ghost him

>not sure how exactly to tell the old one I'm dropping him t
reason?
seriously, just be honest

derp
disregard this post

i think my editor died in a hurricane, he doesn't replay anymore after Irma reach EU

I'm an editor and I was honestly tired of scanlating, so I used Irma as an excuse to break away from this shitty "job". Greatest decision ever. Fuck working for free.

Good on you for doing what makes you happy, man. I'm serious.

Have you ever considered applying your editorial skills in a paid career?

Not him, but I think I prefer making better money at my day job and scanlating projects that I personally want to work on.

wtf, are there ppl working on projects they don't like?

If they're doing it for a paid career? Yes.

There's always people working on stuff they don't like, usually as a favour to a friend or to get the opportunity to work on a project they do like or because they're paid to do it.

I'm working on a project that I've never read

Is there any way to get paid to edit manga?
I really think i'm good at it, I shouldn't be doing this for free

No, there are no ways to get paid to edit manga.

Sad. :(
Guess i'll continue working for free, then

Edit as in redraw/typeset? Unless you have a TL to help you, not a chance. Anything official should have access to the digital layers and just remove the layers in photoshop/clip studio. So you're left with trying to get commissions to TL and edit random shit.

>translating manga because you like it
>not doing it for e-penis sake

I really fucking hate how dusty my scanning room is. Literally have a fan with 2 dust filters attached to it just to try to lessen the amount of dust on my scans. Basically have to wipe between each scan if I want to get rid of random strands of dust. I even keep it covered whenever I'm not using it.

Do you ever get the feeling that a mangaka is doing things in a way solely to piss you off when you scanlate it? Stuff like chapters with all text outside of speech bubbles or kanji with multiple readings.

Get one of these and a goat hair brush.
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/223327-REG/Kinetronics_KSCS030_Digital_Scanner_Cleaning_Kit.html
I clean my scanner everytime I use it and swipe the goat hair brush over the platter between pages. It makes a real difference.

FUCK OFF!

I waxed mine with car wax so I can blow the dust off easily.

What's the latest piece of drama?

I should use a brush. I was worried that it night scratch the glass

I"m scanning volume 1 and 2 of this manga right now
Sorry for shit quality, It's my first time doing this

When i'm finished I'm going to dump it here

volume 2 and 3

Maybe I'm autistic, but I immediately noticed that it's not perfectly straightened.
Unless you haven't gone back to straighten them yet.

Get a brush designed for optics, such as a camera lens brush and it won't scratch the optic plate. Lens brushes are cheaper than dedicated scanner brushes. I tried using a lens blower but all that did was move the dust further up the platter.

I've done 50-70 chapters of a manga I haven't got a clue what it's about, some sort of board game. I just clean and copy paste the text

If he had straighten it there would be completely white lines somewhere, unless he cropped all 4 sides.

Shouldn't you be scanning it in tiff?
scanning -> cleaning -> release (Sup Forums, batoto, etc)

Translating Clover. Almost done. Only 1 volume left.

how can i tell if my page is overleveled?

Make a script (it's been a long time so don't remember the name) and run in on several pages and see if any details gets leveled away.

Anyone looking for a translator? I'm a (semi) native speaker and I'm bored.

could you finish "Again!!"?
there's only like 13 chapters left

Retract that before it's too late.

I'm sorry, I should've clarified. I have no experience whatsoever, and if anyone wants my help, they'll have to spoonfeed me the scans and procedure.
?

Waiting for the last 3 volumes of Chrono Crusade to come in the mail so I can start scanning the English translations that got released awhile ago.

Wants to translate Angel Onayami Soudanjo for me?
I'll be your typesetter.

There are only some chapters left.

sure, why not. What contacts of mine do you need?

Contact me at [email protected] and i'll send you raw scans and new instructions

>cocaine ninja
ew

So I found out that the people I've worked with for almost two years and considered good friends all laugh behind my back and make fun of me. This sucks.

>be a translator
>do nothing
heh heh heh

Nice blog, where do I subscribe?

That sucks mate.

Just translate stuff and put it into a text document or something. There's lots of manga that will probably never be scanned and it would be nice to even just have a translation to read along with the raw manga.

Oops, almost forgot that Afternoon came out today.

Sorry to hear that user.

Detail loss and learn to read a histogram.
To view the histogram of tone range in Photoshop look in the view menu. The amount of shadow (black), midtones (grey) and highlights (white) will be reflected in the histogram. When leveling the black on an image you are "compressing" the darker midtones, so removing dynamic range. In that range is detail. The same applies to leveling white. Image leveling is very complex. There are so many variables that all make a difference. Everything from the type and weight of paper to the light source in your scanner will effect how in image needs to be leveled.

A lot of people can't hold a conversation without shittalking someone. I'm sure those good friends complain about each other to other people too.

nevermind this guy just level the mountain style

Too lazy to order books and scan them, too lazy to manually screenshot pages from honto...so no work.

omae wa ore da

Yeah, not a unique situation by any stretch.

I feel guilty though. Life caused me to drop out a few years back with unfinished work. Still see sad comments in translation never threads on occasion.

>tfw could translate mangos
>lazy NEET
I'm suprised there's no site made yet where anyone can submit translations. Could let people translate one page or even just one speech bubble if they feel like it.

>Life caused me to drop out a few years back with unfinished work. Still see sad comments in translation never threads on occasion.
This happened to me too. Not very many people read my work, but I still feel like I owe it to them to pick up my unfinished work again someday.

>mangahelpers
>raffmanga
>otakumole

I think some sites have forums that do this, but the quality is so all over the place that it really isn't worth while. Better to just find a short manga you like, translate it, and post the translations. Someone will typeset it.

It has been eating at my conscious for a few years. I've never forgotten.

Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of a whole site focused on it. Have raws on the site with all the text in them linked to text boxes assigned to said texts for anyone to give a translation for it. Could have some user rankings and shit to hopefully improve quality

Not sure if it would get shut down for having raws on the site itself though. Maybe some system where it doesn't actually host the raws

>raffmanga
>otakumole

>pls register
Can't really tell what those sites are like

It's a whole site focused on it. Have raws on the site with all the text in them linked to text boxes assigned to said texts for anyone to give a translation for it.

Otakumole has been shit for a while now, though. Plus hosting raws would make it a target and increase server costs. What MangaHelpers does is perfectly fine, raws are easy to find. MH isn't what it used to be, though.

>half way through redrawing a hair ribbon
>need to take a break
>now it's been like a week and I haven't been motivated to work on it again
fuck hair tubes, fuck hair ribbons, fuck hair in general

What's it look like?

At this point I just use scanlating to keep my hands busy while I listen to audiobooks.

Do you include the jacketless cover when releasing the first chapter?

Here's the before and after of the hair ribbon, and also a different scene that shows the ribbons.
I guess it's more than half way done.

And yes, I'm aware there's already a translation of this. They didn't do the SFX so I can't just steal them.

Why are you erasing sound effects anyway? I've noticed more and more scan groups redrawing the sound effects and I hate it. I hate it when Viz does it in their English versions too. If you really need to just put a note between panels but I would think people reading scans would know basic kana to be able to piece together sound effects.

>doing sfx
I just laugh when I read *Whoosh*

A wise man once said sfx is a part of the art, and I concur. You should too, it'll free you from doing this ever again.

b-but muh immersion

Super late, but you can always submit a portfolio to companies like Seven Seas, Dark Horse, etc. They frequently take in scanlators as freelance contractors.

Sometimes the files you get from the land of moonrunes don't have layers. Which means you have to clean/redraw everything while typesetting.

Oh man, I loved the first volume, thanks for doing this.

Loved his Ghost Rider too.

Only do sfx if you're good enough to replicate the original art style.

You'd think publishers would have access to the file with layers so they can add the side text and shit, or at least ask the artist for the clean version. I'd nag them for it at least.

>shit quality

That's not bad at all. Just think of how bad some scans are.

>should have access to digital layers

That's what you'd think, but then you see Fakku having to redraw shit themselves. You also have shit like ebooks being scanned from a shitty print, even if the original manga was digital in the first place.

>mfw I am a scanlator that use paint to typesett my shit

I know I should be using other tools, but man, I am sure lazy.

Nah that just makes too much sense user. Really, though, it's hugely dependent on either the publisher or the artist to have saved their original files. And even if you do get one with most of the normal text removed, there's usually still SFX, asides, signs, and handwritten screams/shouts more often than not.

Apart from the text that needs rotation in the lower righthand corner, it doesn't look that bad. It's not as if EOPs deserve any better.

>redrawing sound effects
disgusting
>not overlaying your finalized typeset text before redrawing
retarded

Don't worry about it, that looks like garbage that only shitters would want to read anyway.

Doing sound effects is fine, if you do them well.
Like this

It looks like shit. Some of those font choice are just plain horrendous, as if it was literally your first day in picking fonts. Besides, sfx are hand drawn by the mangaka. This isn't the early 1990s. Stop over-localizing your Japanimation comics.

Ah, okay. I should have known it was you.
You're just here to shitpost and spread misinformation.
Those aren't fonts, you fucking retard. And they're nearly identical to the raws.

>retarded
Some groups make a lot of TL and TS errors. If you don't want to redo your redraws every time that happens do the full redraw.

>Ah, okay. I should have known it was you.
Who is your personal boogeyman?
>Those aren't fonts
A font is any type of text that conforms to a predetermined design style, moron. Now you can proceed to try to argue about the exact definition of font as to smokescreen the real problems which is you plastering your graffiti all over a mangaka's art and erasing their sfx. You suck.
>And they're nearly identical to the raws.
Prove it.

Don't work with shitty translators. Edit your scripts. Get your workflow in order. Stop being half-assed.

They aren't fonts, because they're hand drawn, you fucking retard. The only thing that "predetermined" the style was the style of original.
And no, you're not boogyman, because sadly you're real.

You could have just had a brain and googled the raws for yourself.

Who does shit like this?

>gets blown the fuck out
>only reply is to call it "shit"
Hahaha

I'm not the guy you talked to earlier. I'm just impressed by it and wanted to know who it was that did it.