Name A More Heroic Death

Protip: You can't

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oIRJfls37D8
youtube.com/watch?v=jtd5rWKpQSU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They were both useless and only served to strengthen the villain.

Vegeta's, honestly. It's a shame both of them were useless, in fact I can't think of a single sacrifice in Dragon Ball that actually stopped the villain.

Raditz?

>saved Earth from being blown up right then and there
>useless

They did a fine job at it though

He could have easily teletransported back somewhere else with everyone from the Kaio planet and leave Cell there alone to die, so from the first time I watched that episode I thought that death was more stupid than heroic.

>killed 3 people who had nothing to do with it because "lol this is the first place I thought of, sorry King Kai"
>Still hasn't brought any of them back
fuck Goku

He was probably tired after getting beat up by a Cell Jr.or something

I don't think instant transmission requires much ki user.

If you mean that he was too tired to think that he didn't have to kill himself, Gohan and Piccolo where with him when he started his 2 minutes long goodbye speech, pretty sure they could have just told him to not be stupid and just teletransport back to Earth or to Enma.

The anime really portrays this scene super badly. In the manga it all happens on the fly. You could tell there was barely any time for anything and Goku just did the first thing that came to mind in the 5 seconds he had.

No in Dragon Ball in ever pragmatic about anything ever so you should just go along with it.

That would make more sense, because thinking about the anime again if he literally took minutes to talk before going to Kaio's planet he could have easily used all that time to even fly away all the snake road in a fraction of that time.

>be toriyama
>create the greatest fictional character of all-time
>literally the perfect supporting protagonist
>ruin his character at every opportunity
Gohan didn't deserve this.

>the greatest fictional character of all-time
>literally the perfect supporting protagonist
You mean Kamina?

Not even the best in its own series please pick up your game
The show should have ended here
Prove me wrong

How heroic can any death be in a setting where death is meaningless?

Iggy in Jojo. I tear up evertim.

Peter Mother Fucking Hausen death was more heroic than anything else.

Piccolo sacrificing himself against Nappa to save Gohan.

As far as writing it would have been a good spot to end.

The last of the saiyans, from a war mongering race, died for other people outside their race.

>i told you i can make the impossible possible
what's destiny?

Is DBZ a masterpiece?

Why didn't Goku and Gohan do a double Kamehameha to just blast Cell out?

>All of this takes quite a bit of time to describe, but all happened in the time it takes to make a cup of tea

UM EXCUSE ME BUT GOKU HAS TO SAVE THE DAY OK
>proceed to invent bullshit like buu's forms and fusion dance to drag the series out another 50 eps

Oh and I forgot
>super saiyans now have levels
>super saiyan 3 exists and goku was merely pretending to be weaker than vegeta because plot

He didn't use SS3 because it took time from him on earth, which he needed to face Boo.
It made quite a bit of sense.

Kittan's was more heroic

Unlike Goku, he doesn't come back.

Goku fought Vegeta in 2 because it was the closest thing to a challenging fight in the last 7 years. He was having too much fun to go 3 and floor him.

Is that an ashita no joe reference

fuck

I cry everytime, Amuro is the hero of UC.

Purely selfish yet somehow very heroic

death can't be heroic in a universe where death isn't permanent.

That's not true. You can be fairly heroic even if the death temporary.

It's like saying people who didn't die while taking a bullet for someone weren't heroic.

Whats the point of the character dying if he will come back?
The answer is shock, that is.

Not even the most heroic death in Z, never mind the rest of the series.

>no one posted this
Are you all serious?

Their deaths means nothing when they just revive with the Dragon Balls.
Dragon Ball is a franchise that has been reduced to mediocrity.

The point is the aversion of deaths of others in self-sacrifice.

Its a dumb excuse they used retroactively to keep the story going after it should have ended
>nu-Sup Forums defends buu saga

Excuse me.

youtube.com/watch?v=oIRJfls37D8

Literally nobody but tien cared

I have a great example. Yusuke Urameshi sacrificed himself so that a little boy could live. Not only did he not die permanently but the kid wasn't even going to get hit by the truck. That didn't change the nobleness of his sacrifice at the time.

You can't judge a sacrifice on whether or not that person is rewarded in the future.

There is no tension left in Dragon Ball, accept it.

Yeah, but, it's still heroic.

I'm criticizing that from a writing standpoint, not the nobleness of their actions.

user, everyone knew they could just wish him back...

except he wasnt revived with the dragon balls.

They couldn't, he's been revived once already.

Too bad they still revive him again, which AGAIN proves how death mean nothing in Dragon Ball.

They revived him much later in a fun arc that didn't take itself too seriously. You're right, death doesn't mean much in Dragon Ball, but some deaths like this one were (or at least felt) legit and what happened later didn't ruin them.

Best anime death of all time

This was the best moment in dbz, but of course can't have Vegeta win any major fights

Yes.
It was important to the foundation of internet culture.
Goku unabashedly isn't a "good guy" he is a rural person who just wants to fight strong people whether good or bad.
He is a genius in combat and a dullard otherwise.
He legitimately doesn't care about life outside of his fighting.
He kills people outright, remember the dead ribbon army?
The character of Goku is self aware but doesn't care about external moral standards and hardly cares about his family and friends. He only really stands for the fun of a good clean honorable fight and accepts rightful defeat often. By creating his own values he is transcending the false valuations of past and creating his own meaning in life so he feels very fulfilled and constantly cheerful.
TLDR;
It is the perfect story of an ammoralist virtue based self mastery focused value generating ubermensch and the author only ever wanted to make cool fights but accidentally created what Nietsche wet dreams in a manner entirely compatible with the satire rife postmodern hellscape we live in today.

>He legitimately doesn't care about life outside of his fighting.
Read the manga again. He specifically says he'll beat Freezer for the Saiyans and the Nameks he killed. People he didn't even get to know or see.

Toriyama's gag comic background and overall style integrate well into the story making it's ideas accidentally ripped from the enlightenment self lambasted enough that 20/21st philosphy can't just say"muh relativism and parody" thus making the entire series both series and a joke of itself(sayaman and ginyu's anyone?).
The allows a serious narrative that can be engaged with by a viewer who is poisoned by the moral relativist and subjectivist viewpoints social justice is made of.
Toriyama isn't a genius- the story wasn't really that relevant in its day. He delivers on the bare fundamentals of minimialist artistry which ironically makes it very good compared to over saturated design pervading contemporary anime.
>when you realize everything iconic about dragon ball z was bullshit improvised like super saiyan allowing him to not color in black hair.
>The author comes from a place of relatable lazyness; read doctor slump for more understanding
Textbooks on internet culture in the future must make notable mention of it.
People who don't like it or hate it generally have sufficient reason.
Also two posts of traps get in a row desu. Looks like number gods agree with me.

was sad until mask rebirth in destiny.

> heroic death

he died because of Gohan's saiyantard genes

He's going to use the super dragon balls to bring them back obviously

technically he was always "dead". He was more of a zombie.

this

youtube.com/watch?v=jtd5rWKpQSU

Who gives a fuck about technically? For all purposes, Bruno was still alive, his soul literally ascend into heaven in that moment.

Ehhh, in this case Kamina's death is not that shocking but rather what happens with the team AFTER his death.
Kittan and Lord Genome were the true sacrifices.

Vegeta's sacrifice is different from others. He had already been revived by Earth's dragon balls and he had been confirmed by Piccolo that there was no way he would have kept his body in the afterlife.

He would have had, in due time, his soul purified in hell, weren't it for king yenma keeping his body just in case he was needed to help against majin boo.

Vegeta faced certain suicide with a smile. He chose on his own to destroy his body and suffer ultimate pain to try and save other people.

What's more, in the finale against kid boo, while dead, he chooses to fight him head on, 1 vs 1, with goku reminding him that if he 'dies' again, not even the dragon balls could have helped.

Goku could have been revived with no effort, as it's his choice to stay dead. Piccolo did not die previously, and knew Kami had instructed Popo to direct the others to Namek to use those Dragon Balls.

>CHIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>killing his old mentor and destroys his home planet for no reason other that he was literally too retarded to think of any other place
I'm sure it won't be hard finding a more heroic one

Is killing yourself in vain really heroic? Or just incompetence?

Considering his reasoning for not coming back, he probably chose to die. Also must have felt that is was unfair to sacrifice Kaio without giving up anything himself.

Literally this.

YOU HAVE 5 MINUTES TO FIND A MORE HEROIC DEATH

Protip : You cant

The anime made it nice and everything, but he just went and got himself killed for a tantrum.

>Heroic death
>in a setting where death means shit
Thanks for the laugh.

Picollo dying meant not more dragon balls,

The absence of death or the possibility or resurrection doesn't invalidate the heroism displayed in the sacrifice, user.

It does, though. Death is a big deal because it's a permanent and final. How is it not a much lesser sacrifice if you know both those things to not apply? Not only that, but there's the uncertainty of what comes after. Which also doesn't apply to Goku, as he is already familiar with the afterlife.

Too heroic for this world.

>Take a bullet for other people = heroic
>Take a bullet for other people in CS Go = not as heroic

>comparing actually taking a bullet with playing a video game
Come on, user, I know you're not that fucking stupid.
>Take a bullet for other people and die = heroic
>Take a bullet for other people and survive = not heroic
Is more in line with what the other user said.

>The absence of death or the possibility or resurrection

And that makes the comparison to video games apt, how?

>The absence of death or the possibility or resurrection

No one has said Rikiishi yet from Joe?

jiraya and goku's first death is better