Is Welcome to the N.H.K good? Years later do you still feel that way?

Is Welcome to the N.H.K good? Years later do you still feel that way?

Yeah

You just can't escape the hikki lifestyle

It made me realize that I was nowhere near as socially dejected as I had thought I was. The character was off-putting as fuck to me but I guess you really have to be deep in that shit to connect with him.

Imagine if every writer/artist/musician considered collecting royalties to be parasitic.

I mean, living off of YOUR royalties isn't really being a parasite.

It's never too late user.

Someone on Sup Forums already posted what happened to the author.

He got involved in some religious cult and became brainwashed.

>living off of YOUR royalties isn't really being a parasite.
I agree, but there's still a bad feeling for not bettering yourself in someway, at least for myself still being a pseudo hikikomori.

>living as a parasyte of the book that I made
I don't get these kind of people, that idea of "I have to work and feel productive" is just alien to me

>become a neet due to profits from a series that shows a character moving away from being a neet
now that's some high level irony right here

I want him to write another novel.

I don't see anything wrong or bad in simply living of your own royalties and doing whatever you want with your time instead of working. Seems like the dream to me.

>Seems like the dream to me.
That's because it is.

Oh God. I just looked it up. I hope he gets to make his tulpa at least.

It's easily my favourite anime series.

>"I have to work and feel productive"
I don't even think it's that. It's just mass boredom, doing the same thing every single day for the rest of your life no matter what even if it's your favorite thing in the world probably will still hurt you after enough time, but at the point you're already in the hole and changing sounds even like a even worst a outcome.

d-didn't he watch the pyramid scheme episode?

how does that even fucking happen?

I liked it when I watched it but I think it's shit nowadays

I don't like it because it dramatizes the life of losers. A loser's life is not worth any attention, much less drama. It makes the audience feel empathy for losers. Losers do not deserve empathy, and even if they did, they don't ever get it anyway. It makes the losers seem poor innocent victims. Losers are guilty and deserve everything they have. In other words, it's completely different from what real life is. But then again, it's an anime.

Maybe he was desperate enough to do anything for some company? I've been living the NEET life for maybe 5 years. Can't imagine what it's gonna be like after decades go by.

Don't have time to search in the archive but apparently, according to 2ch, he met a woman who was a cult member and he became involved in said cult but she later dumped him but he remained in the cult afterwards.

You sound edgy.

Mental disabilities, people losing jobs due to pure bad luck, and social outrosixism and bulling, all being out of your power exist in this world.

well after reading the novel i am 100% sure he uses or at least used quite a bit of psychedelics and those tend both draw people who are prone to this type of shit and if said people take them too much it pushes them further in that direction.

Gee, I wonder what other board this guy came from?

Fuck off normalfag scum.

(You)

Wew lad, you sure are edgy.

Hasn't it been a while back since that interview was made?
What exactly is he doing now that the residuals for N.H.K as dried up?
His he living off the tax payers or actually started to write again?

I'll die foreveralone, I feel bad for the poor saps that are gonna have to remove my decomposing corpse from the property.

He's not wrong

>all these triggered losers itt

>Do I still feel that way?
I don't know you tell me?

Did you want a (You) too? Here you go pal.

The manga has really solid art, and it's version of the story is a bit more solid with the added scenes. I can pick up a random issue right now and just enjoy it.

The anime has a ged a bit, it looks its age. It's still a good enough story to hold it once or twice.

Novel is as good as it always was, anime and manga are as subpar as they always were.

I'm not trying to be edgy in the slightest. It wasn't my intention at all and I have never been the kind to fish for replies.

That being said, yes, what you said is true, but what you ignore is that real life has no spectators. You feel empathy for Satou, Yamazaki and Misaki because you are a spectator. You were given the angles to think of the characters the way you did. The anime's director wrote the anime so that you would feel sad, touched, moved, so that you could even relate to the characters. But real life has no directors. You are given no angles but the ones of your own eyesight. There are no third person, all knowing spectators in real life. We are all characters. And like NHK's characters, we don't really understand each other, we don't try to help one another, we all just scream at one another, like savages, and when alone, we cry and shiver in the corner of our dark rooms. My criticism sterns from the fact the director willingly portrayed something that exists in real life from the angles of pity and empathy. It was really, really good, I loved watching every episode, but it completely misrepresents real life for what it is. But, once again, it's an anime, and that's what all anime do.

You perfectly summed up my feelings about Welcome to the NHK. What I particularly dislike about it is that despite ostensibly showing why NEETdom sucks, NEETs are morally defective failures as human beings, and NEETs self-select into their own misery, the idealized parts of it reverberated with impressionable morons on Sup Forums circa 2007 who unironically believed that it was cool to be a loser. It is a major contributor to the development of the shitty "otacool XD" board culture that dominates places like Sup Forums and /jp/ today.

Yeah, still pretty good.

I'm not really sure it ever quite succeeds as an examination of the "NEET" phenomenon. But it still has a lot of really interesting stuff to say about mental illness, relationships, and people dealing with their own traumas, flaws, and mistakes.

It's not a perfect anime, but there's still almost nothing else like it. It's stuck with me in a way that few other anime have managed to do.

That's exactly why I detest anime and manga where the main character is a NEET.

it's never too late to be a wageslave but it can easily be too late to achieve ambitions or integrate with society socially

Dunno mon, this whole paragraph boils down to "I don't like thing so neither should you".

Good. Most of them are obnoxious faggots who think they should dictate how people should think or like. Better for them to actually embrace the leech life than pretend they aren't one.

Except that in NHK it doesnt glorify the loser's life, retard

*tips (You)*

Did you know there are people who can go through their day while recognizing that the people around them probably have way more shit going on than the individual will ever know about? When you say losers aren't deserving of empathy, you're just being a sad, resentful cunt at best, and a malicious cunt at worst. Yeah, you're never gonna know why the person next to you on the bus lost their job or dropped out of college, or why they're buying saltine crackers and ice cream in their pajamas, or whatever. The key is accepting that you won't ever know, and accepting that they're probably dealing with shit outside of your sphere. Life doesn't need a director. It needs people who think outside of what they see directly.
I feel empathy for people because I can only imagine what fresh hell other people are dealing with when I've got my own going on.

>worth
>deserve
>guilty
spooky

>spook posting

Stirner is love, Stirner is life, may no spooks every bother you.

He posted the spooks, I merely pointed it out.

That's just how you, as an individual, treat others. Most people in most parts of the world aren't half as caring, understanding, or, in your own words, empathetic, as you are. If they were, we wouldn't be talking about this anime right now, because it wouldn't exist in the first place, for there would never be conflict or disagreement between the characters. And since you took the liberty to call me a resentful cunt at best and a malicious cunt at worst, I'll take the liberty to say you grew up in a safe bubble at best and you're a pseudo altruistic narcissist at worst.

>A loser's life is not worth any attention, much less drama.

But that's exactly what Yamazaki said to Satou when he was about to kill himself.

And yet it was a drama anime, and here we are talking about their non existent lives.

Not him but it's hard to feel empathy for someone who doesn't try to improve his own situation, instead wallowing on self-pity and hatred towards "the cruel world".
NEETs are NEETs because they were lucky to live in a society where safety nets exist; on another time and place they would have starved or frozen to death.

Satou himself said hikikomori are hikikomori simply because they can afford to. In the end, it wasn't any sort of heavenly enlightenment that got him out of that lifestyle, it was merely his mother having enough of his shit.

all you can do is try. he's still alive. it's better than writing an optimistic story only for him to kill himself.

the whole point is without those safety nets they wouldn't be neets, they wouldn't starve, they'd work and contribute

fact is neets are victims of society

It's not even altruism, it's just letting yourself understand that you don't know what's going on in other people's lives, so you can't say they're undeserving of goodness or understanding. It's that simple.

>someone who doesn't try to improve his own situation
But that's the thing, in many cases you don't know this for certain. That user is talking about how losers don't deserve empathy because you're not exposed to their lives--you don't have to be. You just have to know there are things about them you don't know.

>Not him but it's hard to feel empathy for someone who doesn't try to improve his own situation, instead wallowing on self-pity and hatred towards "the cruel world"

>the whole point of the story is self-improvement

Almost every single person has bettered themselves by the story's end; if they already had self-actualization, it wouldn't be much of a story, would it?

He's in a cult, he might as well be dead.

>That user is talking about how losers don't deserve empathy because you're not exposed to their lives
Where did you learn English?

ESL here. I can understand perfectly. And to answer your question, probably google.

Correct my bad CliffNotes. Your first post talks about how undeserving losers are, and your second post continues that people won't empathize without the ability to spectate.

>ESL
It makes perfect sense given your terrible comprehension skills. For people like you merely communicating with Americans is a great honor.

For someone criticizing my comprehension skills, you sure fucked up your comprehension of ESL user's chime-in post.

There's nothing wrong with being a loser.

If you're happy with yourself, then you're not a loser.

Calling a cat a lion doesn't make it a lion.

A lion is a animal that can be represented by fact, a loser is a subjective social standpoint.

I personally think NEETs are dangerous psychopaths lacking any empathy towards other living beings and whose only desire is to inflict death and suffering upon their fellow human beings.

They scare me for real. I'm not joking or baiting.

Everything is subjective.
Even the above sentence.

Do you know what NEET stands for? Do you know how many average people are NEETs?

This seems like the "anime/whining about social stuff" thread.

Just letting you guys know, I checked out Tinder in Japan a few weeks ago, and I want this off my chest:

Hoolyyy shiiit guys, all these waifus

Trying their darned best to look cute and attractive in the most modest way ever, pretty much all of them throw in a kimono-pic to prove their wife material potential. Damn!

It's a one stop waifu shop I tell you.

also:

ALL THE CAKE YOU CAN EAT

they don't want waito piggu though, only the sluts do

Why are cults so big in Asia? Even the South Korean president joined one

Sluts = women more likely to put out

Literally win win

People should understand the difference between NEET and truNEET.

Why is religion so big in America? Even the US President believes in God.

NEET = anyone currently not employed/training/in education/whatever for whatever reason

truNEET = hikkis doing nothing

Got it right?

Sounds like what happened to the Mardek RPG dev.
>create popular series while living as a NEET
>newfound recognition motivates you to claw your way out of your situation
>fail and spiral into depression
>find some kind of new age spiritualism instead of killing yourself
>start making shitty games based on your new beliefs
>fade into obscurity and completely drop off the radar

Cults are pretty big in the united states too they just dont call them what they are a lot of times. And before people reply angrily to me I'm not talking about Christianity but more shit like Scientology or certain sects like the Jehovahs witnesses or mormons where you get a ton of fucked up stories constantly coming out of there of it being pretty much a cult but its become too big to really stop.

You have so much to learn...

One shits in a sock while the other shits on the floor?

Teach me, internet dude

Teach yourself, lurk more.

If you don't feel any empathy for the characters, your either not the audience the show was made for, or a very self loathing person. NHK is not a broad anime made for normal people to emotionally connect with.

I always kurosawa hit more close to home with how you can still end up a borderline Hikki even if you're working and leaving your house.

One of the best I've ever seen, it might also have saved my life

>willingly trying to learn about NEETs

Why would I do that?

Because the site's history is interesting. Did you know there is a thing such as the great 6 mages?

If you account for pseudo-christian sects theres a lot of western cults, there just various degrees of exploitative and crazy and not always group suicide in a basement as their MO.

That's a rumor user, no one has found them irl yet. Because they are NEETS that's it

Theirs a new season coming out for the anime its going to be lit senpai

:( im a neet right now fuck i just realized this

this is the opinion of a very, very young person.

>Is Welcome to the N.H.K good?
Yes
>Years later do you still feel that way?
I rewatch every couple years (3-5).
It holds up.

Kurosawa was no hikki, user. He was just an awkward guy not a fucking parasitic shut in.

Good thing I don't feel pity for you and your sad mindset then, right?

its almost like you can't discuss anime without discussing anime retard