Is it just my impression or is this show severely underappreciated?

Is it just my impression or is this show severely underappreciated?

In the west, but its magical girl, what do you expect? At least it has translators.

People didnt seem to have an issue accepting Madoka. Was it just because of Shaft?

I feel like it's the other way around. People go around parading it as the second coming of Madoka, when in reality, the actual serious part is complete trash. At least the SoL parts were fun.

>when in reality, the actual serious part is complete trash
That sounds like Madoka.

At least sells well.

Madoka is a lot grittier and gets called a deconstruction, westerners dig those things.

Madoka is the pet "I don't typically like magical girl but..." series.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Dont think he even implied that, I however would imply that Madoka is a dog shit show that suffered severely from its short runtime and the only reason people think of it as good being the shockvalue of a bunch of scenes.

>shit-talking the entire genre except for a single work for some dumbass reasons
I don't blame the show itself for that, but don't expect me to be ok with this level of stupidity.

I would appreciate it much more if it wasn't so complicated to get into, I liked the first season but this have tons of movies and OVAs, books and games that you have to read/watch to understand it all, yeah, no thanks. I have lost interest in the second season too because it makes me feel stupid.

I think you may be mistaking this for something else.

With the WaSuYu adaptations being overall much better than the novels the only thing you really have to go out of your way for is reading NoWaYu, pretty much everything else is fluff

What? It doesn't, it's simple as hell, it is just that they pre-aired S2's first few episodes as "movies" but just S1 -> S2 is fine.

Movies have a better OP though and the tv version will probably get censored.

That is a lot of blood for a nobody dies series.

enjoy while you can.
kemono backslash will kill it

I honestly dont get why people value deaths so much. Is this the only way people can enjoy stuff? If the cast lost something irreplaceable? Is that the only way people acknowledge impact? I really dont get it. There are many shows where this sort of shit is being brought up and I cant really understand why.

>a nobody dies series.
Ahaha, you're such a riot.

>a nobody dies series
fuck you

It's well known as the poor man's madoka. Coulda been good but that ending was atrocious.

What's the point of emphasizing the fucked up crippling nature of magical girls if you just heal them at the end? It invalidates the message of the show (stand up for yourself and others even if it hurts you).

The point is that Yuuki Yuuna is STILL a Yuusha de aru.

>He doesn't know

And who told you that was the message of the show?

>poor man's madoka
Fairly sure that there is no poor mans version for what is essentially a very poor show.

user that wasn't the message of the show at all, in fact it was pretty much the opposite. Did you even watch the first half of the show?

Should I watch the Washio episodes now or just wait for the TV airing? Are there going to be any difference?

>the message
I am pretty sure that this show doesnt even have a message the same way Madoka didnt. Most shows dont have one and it isnt a requirement at all.

Different Opening
More Diary Entrys
Maybe different Henshin but not sure
?????
its mostly the same.

well forgot but the movie subs have more detailed subs on the related easter eggs of the franchise.

this is too stupid for not to be a shit/bait post

Why would Walmart Madoka be underappreciated?

He's right that the ending was all sorts of retarded, though.

Why if I may ask?

>suddenly everyone gets their lost body functions back because uhhhh

>he doesn't know

I do, but with that explanation the ending, and the plot in general, make a lot less sense.

Why wouldnt they? There has never been precedent that proved the contrary, has there? I really dont get why this is supposed to be retarded. If it is, then the entire sacrifical system in itself already is. Sounds to me like you simply didnt like the fact that they got rewarded, rather than that theres actually anything wrong with it.

>There has never been precedent that proved the contrary, has there?
Sonoko. She never got her body functions back until the events of the anime when everyone got everything back because, again, uhhhh.
>I really dont get why this is supposed to be retarded.
Because there's nothing to suggest they'll ever get their stuff back, in fact they make a big deal of the opposite (see again, Sonoko). Then suddenly they do.
>Sounds to me like you simply didnt like the fact that they got rewarded
Hey, I do like me some happy endings. I don't like it when they need massive asspulls in order to happen, though.
Like, you say they got rewarded. First, WHY did they only get rewarded then? They saved the day plenty of times before. Second, WHY did Sonoko never get a reward all this time? She saved the day a bunch too, and unlike Yuuna's group Sonoko actually had a friend of hers flat-out die in combat.

If the Shinju had the power to give back the offerings all along, it is clinically retarded that it never did so in the first place. WaSuYu retroactively justified the necessity of mankai, but the overall system isn't presented well in the series.

It represents a paradigm shift in the Shinju's guidance for mankind. The current situation was basically just an endless siege during which the people sacrificed yuushas to buy some more time, but there is no win condition and it only stands to reason that there would eventually come a time when the yuushas lose and humanity is destroyed.

With the new system humanity can try and stand on its own feet and fight back against the heavenly gods, though the path to do so is less safe. It's like you didn't even read Sonoko After.

>Sonoko
I only watched the anime and not the movies but the anime made it VERY clear that Nogi never actually got anything done and therefore is not comparable to the main cast at all. She admitted to have done nothing but pushing back the vertex, never even killing one. Meanwhile Yuna and friends killed all of them plenty of times and "repelled the sun". If thats not a feat worth a reward then I dont know what is.

Now I dont know where this plot goes in the novel, but Id expect that the sacrifices are being used to power the barrier, but are probably not being consumed. Which would explain how they can be restored into their original state.

>suggest they'll ever get their stuff back,
See above. The only person who exists that could be used as precendent never got anything done while being a "hero". A reward was not justified.

>I don't like it when they need massive asspulls in order to happen
See above again. There was no asspull. You simply think that Nogi is as valuable and in the same position as the main cast, when in fact she was a complete failure in comparison to them.

Not him but like I said, that makes the whole situation make less sense than it already did. Why would you EVER choose a way to defend yourself that ends with you getting killed instead of the one that doesn't? They really can only justify all this stuff by revealing the Divine Tree is actually an idiot.

This.
Its overrated like hell.
And it gets even worse with all the sequels and , prequels and side-stories.

Even then, why does it matter? Sure Sonoko never killed any vertex (there's a reason for this, but you seem to be avoiding spoilers so I'll leave it there), but she still successfully protected the tree, more than once, so why doesn't she get anything? Moreover, she did absolutely fuck-all during the last wave while Yuuna and her friends were nigh-killing themselves, so going by your logic, why was she rewarded at all?

Again, there's nothing at all to suggest that the sacrifices can just be returned like that. No subtext, no foreshadowing, nothing. It just happens because they needed a good ending but they wrote themselves into a corner and didn't have enough time to fix the rest of the script.

>so why doesn't she get anything
For the same reason you get an F for getting 30% on a test. Its not like you didnt know anything, but that deosnt mean that you get rewarded for knowing the least amount required.

>Moreover, she did absolutely fuck-all during the last wave while Yuuna and her friends were nigh-killing themselves, so going by your logic, why was she rewarded at all?
Due the entire system being changed apparently. That final battle had a lot of things happen that probably never happen before, like a yuusha trying to kill the divine tree herself over the mental pain caused by the sacrificial system. It makes a lot of sense to adjust the system afterwards to prevent this from happening again or at least acknowledging that the system has flaws. They didnt just protect the tree. There was much more to that final plotline than repelling the vertex. It PROBABLY was the first time a yuusha just said
>you know what fuck it ill rather get killed and kill everybody else than go through this

>nothing at all to suggest that the sacrifices can just be returned like that.
And there is also nothing to suggest that they cant be. In fact, the animation that shows Karin sacrificing her legs, arms, vision etc implies SEALING more it implies CONSUMPTION, at least that how I saw while watching. Its like the sacrifices are transfered to the tree to make up for the power granted so that the barrier does fall, but that doesnt imply that they are being consumed. They might very well just be used to consistently generate energy (or whatever that thing needs). The ending is perfectly reasonable within the own shows narrative.

Okay so what you're saying is that the Shinju-sama is a fucking prick that doesn't care about the people protecting it because they didn't do it the right way. This plot is ass, man.

Like user said, if the whole system can be changed on a whim, then the fact that the system is one that massively shits on its users by crippling them for life instead of doing everything in its power to help them protect it means that the tree is clinically retarded.

>And there is also nothing to suggest that they cant be.
There is also nothing to suggest Fuu doesn't fingerbang Itsuki's ass every time nobody is watching them, doesn't mean it's automatically true. The rest of your post is just a bunch of conjecture.

That's sounds like sour grapes

>here is also nothing to suggest Fuu doesn't fingerbang Itsuki's ass every time nobody is watching them, doesn't mean it's automatically true
That is true though.

>There is also nothing to suggest Fuu doesn't fingerbang Itsuki's ass every time nobody is watching them
That's because Itsuki is actually the dom.

>People go around parading it as the second coming of Madoka
Never heard that, most people just shit on it for ripping off Madoka.

That you need supplementary material to compensate for the flaws of the original does not negate the existence of those flaws in the first place. Particularly when the information is tucked away in relative obscurity.

>Shinju-sama is a fucking prick that doesn't care
Well, technically speaking he isnt. Your countrys military also sacrifices people to protect others. Its the same thing here.

This is just assumptions, but if the tree needs sacrifices to power the barrier, then it cant just give them back on a whim. The barrier is required to protect mankind, which means that sacrifices cant just be refunded unless the situation at hand drastically changed. Yuuna and the gang drastically changed the situation when they not only obliterated most of the Vertex and showed that they are powerful enough to do so (something no one else has done before, apparently) but also when Togo decided to go rogue and just try to end it all. If we assume that both these things happened for the first time, and theres nothing that implies otherwise, then a change to the system makes perfect sense since the barrier is less important with heroes strong enough to actually kill shit.

The system wouldnt be changed on a whim, it would be changed based on unique events having occured. So theres plenty of reason to change it.

>There is also nothing to suggest Fuu doesn't fingerbang Itsuki's ass
Again, you cant call asspull for something that wasnt specifically stated or implied to be impossible. The visuals indicate it more than they arent and Nogi was useless compared to the protags. If the system works like I described above then the possibility of restoration makes perfect sense. After all, its a fucking tree, a life form that is basically the epitome of recycling and life. If the barriers form had no significance whatsoever they could have just made it a sphere.

There's enough backing that it continues to be a multimedia franchise anyway so it's doing something right

You mean shit on it for ripping off Madoka, and then being objectively inferior in every way outside cute girls.

>inferior to madoka
>anything
In what regard, even? If you want to talk about badly executed plot then your main target should be Madoka. It also looks like absolute trash instead of just looking generic.

It's not the same thing at all. Shinju-sama isn't sacrificing people to protect others. Shinju-sama crippled a girl to the point she can't even move anymore because she wasn't protecting it the right way. That'll teach her.

Your little theory is nice and all but has no backing in the show. And even if it did, it still leaves open the issue of why exactly your system irreversibly cripples people when it doesn't actually have to. There can never be a satisfactory explanation for this. And you keep bringing up that they can kill the Vertex but did you miss the part where that doesn't actually do anything because they can re-form and come back anyway? It's not an upgrade at all from simply driving them away like Sonoko was doing.

>Again, you cant call asspull for something that wasnt specifically stated or implied to be impossible.
But it was implied. A lot. Their issues never improved, and we see this in detail as Tougou chronicles the status of each girl's disability. The reveal of the fairies being a system to keep the yuusha in the battlefield even if they can't physically keep fighting. The Taisha being unusually secretive about the reason for their lost body functions and if they'll ever return is made a giant deal of and then there's Sonoko again.

m80, I get you like the show, I do too and I'm excited to see what they do for the second season, but some parts just make no sense.

>tfw it's gonna be next on the Kadokawa chopping block if something bad happens

Would you rather live a life of comfortable decline or face a harsh life of battle that you probably won't even survive? It's Tougou's entire motivation

Nah, the ending was an awful letdown and the mix of different moods wasn't executed well.

Well the Shinju-sama is a god, even though it's benevolent to humans it still probably doesn't think in the same ways that we do. Sacrificing a few for the good of the many isn't exactly a new concept

If you look at it from the point of "i'm not going to survive either way", then there's no reason to kill yourself right then and there. If you choose to keep going, then the logical course of action would be to try to ensure your own survival.

childhood is appreciating Madoka, adulthood is appreciating Yuuki Yuuna

Madoka is good but it really delves into metaphysical philosophic themes which are hardly relatable. Yuuki Yuuna hits waaay too close to home for me at least.

1. Less emotional investment than Madoka which then invalidates itself completely at the end. My interest in these characters evaporated completely, and I was on the edge of fucking my seat when Karin got serious near the end. I went from 9/10 GIVE ME MORE to 2/10; it's amazing how fast they turned that around.

2. Significantly more nonsensical world building. I was still not fully reconciled with the nature of Shinju by the end, which is basically the foundation of the plot. Speaking of which;

3. The plot is worse. This doesn't even need defending.

4. Odd scenes of obvious fan service, why are they spouting complicated patriotic propaganda, again? The girls often seem to mouthpiece things they have no business representing.

5. The ending deserved it's own line. Dear god.

The animation was nice, the girls was nice, the drama was pretty good at point, and that's the only compliments this show gets, everything underneath its veneer fell flat, was not handled as well as it should have been, and collapsed a show with really good potential into absolute, forgettable mediocrity territory by the ending credits.

Even pragmatically, there's no reason to go "let's cripple these girls that are the only thing between me and death" when you don't have anything stopping you from going "let's NOT cripple these girls that are the only thing between me and death". What's the benefit of doing the former? It just gets you killed faster and the entire plan of Shinju-sama is to make that not happen.

Why was Yuuna such a godawful character compared to the others?

>Shinju-sama crippled a girl to the point
And as a result shes being worshipped as a goddess, as she herself points out. It might be cruel to you, but it seems like a fair deal to someone whos main objective it to protect an entire species.

>irreversibly cripples people when it doesn't actually have to
I literally explained why shit cant just be refunded on a whim. Are you illiterate or something? If the sacrifice powers the barrier, and the barrier needs to be there to protect, then you cant just refund sacrifices unless something that can replace it exists. How is that so hard to grasp?

>can re-form and come back anyway?
Reforming takes time (as could be observed in the last episodes), they dont do it instantly. If none of the former heroes were able to kill shit, well then delaying the Vertex wasnt really a thing. Or rather, they didnt delay them enough to justify weakening the barrier. If however you have a group of people that can destroy Vertex then the barrier needs less uptime since there are people who can properly delay the threat. Again, this is absolutely reasonable and logical within its own narrative. The show made a GIGANTIC destinction between Yuunas groups and Nogi group. One kills Vertex for breakfast, the other couldnt even neck a single one.

>The reveal of the fairies being a system to keep the yuusha in the battlefield even if they can't physically keep fighting
The farries are also implied to be directly linked to the sacrifices themselves and maybe even represent their physical form. Its precisely why they gain farries after losing something, and why Togo TWO MORE FAIRIRES from the getgo because she already had sacrificed TWO things by they started hopping around. By the end the farries vanish and they get their sacrificies back. Gee, I wonder.

>but some parts just make no sense.
Nah, youre just blatantly refusing to actually look at the implications.

>this entire post
>literally not a shred of substance
>the animation was nice
Holy hell.

Because shes the protag. Protags of Mahou Shoujo are always shit because they are usually the upbeat always happy girls.

Yeah that sums up my exact thoughts about the show. Not a shred of real substance with nice animation.

The anime itself made hints that the ending was not as it seems though. Remember, this was never intended to be the end of the series. You aren't supposed to simply accept that they got their parts back, you are supposed to wonder why. While there is extra material for fans to speculate deeper, most of these questions will be addressed S2.

Its open ended but certainly not an asspull. Really the only flaw the ending had was that it was rushed. Episode 12 shouldve been spread out more.

Mankai takes huge amount of power. The girls sacrifice their own body to expend this power. As long as humans provide sacrifices, shinju will live. Humans will continue providing sacrifices to protect humanity. What the tree didn't anticipate is someone putting the happiness of their friends over humanity. Shinju now realizes that the only way for survival is to win so it expended it own power to give back the hero sacrifices and is now preparing for the offensive.

Partly because they tried that in WaSuYu and Gin ended up dying, and partly because for all we know the people of Shikoku preferred it that way. The Taisha sure as hell did. Sacrifice has power in any religion, and so the sacrifice of a few can keep many alive; they spell it out for you when they call the yuushas human sacrifices over and over again. There are plenty of people who would be willing to foist suffering on an unlucky few in order to secure safety and security for not only themselves, but their friends and family and neighbors. Are you familiar with the short story "Those Who Walk Away From Omelas" by Ursula K. Le Guin?

>Protags of Mahou Shoujo are always shit
>implying

>chose some chink fuccboi over Tomoyo
the point stands

Can't beat the dick.

>tiny chink dick
I bet Tomoyo's is bigger

>why are they spouting complicated patriotic propaganda, again?
Ch**ese detected

>People didnt seem to have an issue accepting Madoka
Madoka viraled and due to people being retarded they believe Madoka inventend Magical Girl suffering and that every show after it is ripping it off

So its the Evangelion of Mahou Shoujo?

>That is a lot of blood for a nobody dies series.
Fairy no body dies system was only put on place 300 years later. up to that point all yuusha had to live with their fucking mortality

>that pic
go away North K

Gooks will be next after the chinks

It's "underappreciated" because it made no sense and was dumb to watch. It had a story that REQUIRED you to do outside research. The dialogue was cringey and painful to listen to. It had terrible worldbuilding and utilized its premise extremely poorly. The only thing it had going for it was that the VAs were actually trying. Can't say the same for anyone else. And not surprising, considering it was originally made up by the guy behind Akame Ga Kill, one of the lamest attempts to be like George RR Martin ever.

It had a terrible ending that held the anime back.
The kadokawa backlash that is happening right now will probably create some loss of sales next season.

This is a bland clone of Madoka, and Madoka was pretty bad. I dont know if this makes it better or worse than Madoka.

Have you considered the possibility that you might have shit taste?

Madoka was pretty bad though, hes right about that.

ok!

A shame for the rushed ending, because episodes 9-11 are probably the best set of three consecutive episodes of the decade.

>WaSuYu retroactively justified the necessity of mankai,
WaSuYu was out months before the show.

Considering only the show:
It's a fact that the Shinju has limited use of energy as seen in the need of a timer for the sealing ritual.
It's a fact that the Shinju can exchange some sacrifice for that energy, damage to the roots during the sealing ritual is converted in real life incidents.
It's a fact the Mankai uses a lot of that energy, as seen when we are shown the power being drawn first.
It's a fact the sealing ritual or mankai'ed destruction of Vertex takes something back, we see those orbs and sand being released and we see the Shinju absorbing the orbs en masse in the last episode.
It's a fact Sonoko had mostly just kept the Vertex away instead of destroying their soul.

For me that was all I needed to get why sange was necessary, why the Shinju needed it and the overall direction of how they will justify the return of sacrificed body parts.

Still, think the ending is kinda bad in the sense it was rushed and had too obvious sequel baits, but people really exaggerate the whole situation, it's not an 8/10 to 2/10 ending in no way.

Its flaw was that it didn't have a built-in fanbase by being a gacha about cute girls fighting faceless alien invasion with the help of a magic tree like all the rest of these schoolgirls animu have been. Still I like Yuki Yuuna though, she punched a chaos god so hard she made it her bitch and that bitch got scared and packed its bags to hop a flight to bel-air. Yuki Yuuna and Hibiki are good girls who know how to fist, meguca and meduga clones like snow white are boring pink shits 100% reliant on their bestie friends resolving every fight for them.

>Falling for Yuuna's tricks

It's trash.

It really isn't. It has one of the best and most devoted fandoms ever existed both in Japan and in the West.

Nope, I have good taste. Madoka was both lies and pure shock factor. It promised to be dark and different, but ended as another magical girl series. And the whole driving force of the show was shock factor. It's really easy to see on a rewatch, how bad the show really is. While great shows get better with every rewatch, Madoka is just revealed to be a one-trick pony, when the shock factor wears off.

Remember that once the great backlash against Kadokawa starts, the tuna will the first to get the can.

Good.