NYT: Letting 16-year-olds vote is an idea whose time has come

>“Unfortunately, when it comes to electing lawmakers whose decisions about gun control and other issues affect their lives, these high schoolers lack any real power. This needs to change: The federal voting age in the United States should be lowered from 18 to 16.

>Skeptics will no doubt raise questions about the competence of 16-year-olds to make informed choices in the voting booth. Aren’t young people notoriously impulsive and hotheaded, their brains not fully developed enough to make good judgments?”

>“In addition to the scientific case for lowering the voting age, there is also a civic argument. Consider the dozen or so countries like Argentina, Austria, Brazil and Nicaragua that allow people to vote at 16 in national, state or local elections. In such countries, voter turnout among 16- and 17-year-olds is significantly higher than it is among older young adults.”

nytimes.com/2018/03/02/opinion/sunday/voting-age-school-shootings.html

Fucking Steinberg. I'm warming up my oven.

16 year olds are eating detergent. There's no way we should let them vote

>By Laurence Steinberg

YES

LET THEM VOTE WHILE THEYRE AT THE PEAK OF LEFTY BRAINWASHING

BEFORE LEARNING ANYTHING FROM OUTSIDE THE LIBSHIT BUBBLE

why do you hate the constitution?

we should raise the voting age

>letting kids vote when they're in the middle of state controlled education
Ah yes, no problem here.

>steinberg

Why? I don't like seeing this. I just want to be normal. Why is it always (((them))).

If they can vote they can have sex amiriteguis???? Next step starting it seems lol

>Consider the dozen or so countries like Argentina, Austria, Brazil and Nicaragua that allow people to vote at 16 in national, state or local elections.
You know, when I hear 3 of those 4 nations, I don't really think of them as countries who, "Have their shit together."

>Voting age is 21
>Lowered to 18 because "if you can be drafted to die for your country, you can vote"
>Now it's 16

Is 14 next?

>Lowered to 18 because "if you can be drafted to die for your country, you can vote"
Raise the age of the draft to 21, voting back to 21, consent to 21, all rights begin at 21.

This makes sense for progressives to want this, their mental maturity peaks at 16.

It should be atleast 21 maybe even higher. Kids are too dumb to understand almost anything at 16 let alone what is a good decision when voting.

>Unfortunately, when it comes to electing lawmakers whose decisions about gun control and other issues affect their lives
Aren’t these the same kids shooting up schools?

>Argentina, Austria, Brazil and Nicaragua
3 out of 4 are shitholes, do you want to become a shithole America?

No

This is a horrible fucking idea, kids are very radical about their ideas, and have almost no will to live. This is just to create an army of ZOG bots and divide the country even further.

>If they can vote they can have sex amiriteguis????

Age of consent is already 16 in the majority of states.

Only white, landowning males should be allowed to vote.

Raise the voting age to a the ageof qualification for office. You have to be 35 to run for President, so only 35-year-olds and up should be able to elect him. After all, we elect peers to make decisions for us, so we should be qualified as electors in similar ways as the peer we elect.

>We must let the demographic most highly susceptible to propaganda vote, ASAP!!!

Keep me strong until the time is right Lord.

>we need to raise the age to buy guns to 21 from 18
>we need to lower the voting age to 16 from 18
Really makes me think

>lower the voting age to 16 so they can vote to raise the age of gun ownership to 21

Honestly only property owners should be voting. Anyone without a proper stake in the game should not be making decisions.

draft to 20, voting to 18, drinking to 22, consent to 12

I wonder if the person who wrote this article would want to live in Argentina, Brazil or Nicaragua.

>we lost the last election so we want to open up a new demographic of impressionable idiots who know nothing about real adult life
if you aren't paying taxes you shouldn't be voting desu

The problem isn't that kids don't vote, it's that women do. We need to end women's suffrage.

The voting age should be 25
The reason trump hey want it lowered is because kids with under developed brains look at communism and fully support it because they are lazy.

>consent to 12
I didn't know Podesta browsed Sup Forums

16 years olds are allowed to vote here in Brazil, and look how good our government is!

youre disgusting. 16? How about you hang yourself before the rest of us get to you.

>You're not old enough to understand the consequences of sex, die for your country, or buy a pack of cigs but you are old enough to have a voice in the fate of our nation
No you retarded kike

I think that someone should have to be employed for at least 30 hours per week for more than half the year and over 18. This would prevent the gibs from voting more gibs indefinitely.

>In such countries, voter turnout among 16- and 17-year-olds is significantly higher than it is among older young adults.”
at 16 you can get out of class to go vote at 19 if you skip a lecture to go vote you are fucking retarded since you're paying for it

>letting minors vote on policy
It's an appealing fantasy, kind of like this novel.

Arguments against 16 year olds not voting are the same as arguments fir a voting licence with a test

Goddamn Jews

Holy shit auto correct put trump there, apple???

-Law enforcement is alerted to a deranged individual
-Everyone thinks he's gonna go on a murder spree
-Law enforcement doesnt act on the warnings
-Waits outside school while violence plays out
-Kids are traumatized, wondering what can be done to stop this from happening again
-"we should let 16yr olds vote!" says a suspicious journalist

QUITE A PUZZLE!

The voting age should be raised to 25. And maybe restricted to landowners exclusively.

I say let them vote for their teachers and principals first. That would be a good test.

I don't wanna say slippery slope, but... Slippery slope. Remember the agreement Sup Forums, we have to draw the line at some point.

_________
End of line.

>be eligible for the draft but not able to vote
kill yourself

Yes, who doesn't want someone voting whose biggest life problem is "math is hard"?

>countries like Argentina, Austria, Brazil and Nicaragua
>Argentina
Shithole
>Austria
Shithole
>Brazil
Hyper Shithole
>Nicaragua
Hyper Shithole

HMMMMMM

If they want to change the age of majority to 16, I'd be fine with it. Let them buy smokes, stop their compulsory education if they choose, join the military, etc. Anything else is just a shameless attempt to swing the electorate in their favor, no better than gerrymandering.

The 26th Amendment says 18, so they'd have to amend the Constitution, which would require 3/4 of states to ratify a new amendment. Good luck kek.

Make the draft age 25 then.

Nobody should be allowed to vote.

Brazil, BECAME A SHITHOLE. It isn't a shithole by nature, like Haiti.
This place BECAME A SHITHOLE

AND OF THOSE SHITHOLES IT COULD BE MERE LOCAL ELECTIONS ONLY

ITS WORDED IN WEASEL LANGUAGE, BECAUSE THEY WANT TO WEASEL IN THEIR BRAINWASHED 16YOS TO FLOOD VOTES FOR LEFTY PET ISSUES

Democrat voting base:
Dead People
Illegal Immigrants
Prisoners
Communists
Baby Killers
Drug Addicts
Sodomites
and Children

Nice doubles

It's still a shithole, though.

At 16 everyone is a democrat

Why stop there? Why not just lower the voting age to 12? Surely if a kid can make informed life choices about their sexuality, they can vote too amirite?

is this loss?

Tfw when I could have lost my virginity at 17 but still have it.
Also if you guys saw the Chinese video camera thread yesterday then you'll know that they have profiles of everyone, right? Well how accurate are they really, hmm? Theirs a reason why they attack Sup Forums and it's because everyone who visits here now has "prone to criminal activity". Why do you think the left is going nuts? Because the higher ups on all sides have access to this information and start riots to curb this uptick of "crime" all the city's that have had a riot were targeted because more people have had done something to add this negative mark on thier profile which in turn creates a false flag because all the Republicans move out of that situation which keeps Democrats strongholds. It's not white flight but it's the Democrats muscling in on everyday lives causing good people to move out and create Democratic strongholds.

>don't pay taxes
>"you should be able to vote"

No. Only people who pay into the system should have any control over that system. We need fewer voters, not more, because leeches will vote for whoever promises a fresh supply of blood without thinking

I warned you fuckers. I said this right after they started parading those kids around that the left and media was going to start pushing for the voting age to be lowered to 16. It's all about the Democrats increasing their voter base, the same reason they want unlimited immigration, a welfare state and to restore voting rights to felons. I don't care how "based" Gen Z might be or whatever the fuck, 16 year olds should not have the right to vote nor should 18 year olds for that matter.

Voting age should be raised to 20 and in fact 20 should be across the board for smoking and drinking as well.

It should be zero to give parents more votes and see political demographic changes in real time and not wait 18 years

Yeah, Schools brainwash kids with constant liberal propaganda.
Most people become right leaning as they become adults and take the time to start thinking things through for themselves.
It's like the saying
If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain

Yes, it is. It wasn't before, but now it is.
sadly, It's our last chance, Brazil can either:
- Be a respectful nation in some years
- Turn into a Cuba-like country

We should raise it to 21 just like they want to do with A-salt rifles

>LET THEM VOTE WHILE THEYRE AT THE PEAK OF LEFTY BRAINWASHING
That's college actually.

the idea of 31 year old junior executives being plucked from their comfy lives and shoved into war is amusing but suicidal militarily

People that young are lead by emotions not by logic or education. (sadly so are many older people)

Many philosophers have argued that no one should be allowed to vote unless they can prove they have considered the political theories of all the participating parties. I would agree.

16-year-olds eat Tide PODS and get addlepated over something as simple as figuring out their own gender.

only married people and people in the military should vote.

If you lower the age of voting, then consitutionally you must lower the age to own a gun. The two are interchangable.

you let the niggers outproduce you and mixed. You got blacked.

Its the only way they can push their agenda foward. No rational adult will follow the liberal insanity.

Yeah... always use Brazil as an example to the world.

Hey there!

Soros Industries (TM) here,

buy your own 1 in x 1 in plot of land and vote today!

Special pricing for transmen!

It should be raised to 25. The brain stops developing around that time.

It’s something that you can’t unsee

Most 16 year olds not only give zero shits about politics but they also have no understanding of it or it's implications.
So a couple of political sock puppets paraded on tv shouldn't be the example that leads to this happening.
I mean fuck there are adults who don't get politics and just parrot garbage. Can you imagine some kids swaying the direction of this country?

Quality bait

We need to raise the voting age to 35.

Agreed. These kids are allowed to be on the parents health plans till they are 26, and they tend to all threw 8 years of college.

>by Laurence (((Steinberg)))

Hey, but what if.
If 16 years old were allowed to vote, but we meme'd them to the Right-wing?

>Steinberg

>Steinberg
Jews!!!!

He said 12, not 2.

My suggestion is this. Anyone at any age can vote, you just have to prove you are financially independent. No living at home, not help from parents, no help from government, no help from anyone you have to get it on your own in this world. If not, your opinion doesn't matter at all.

I was a fucking idiot when I was 16, if anything we should rise the voting age to 30 or something

This. At least 35. We also need to institute property ownership requirements to vote.

Welcome. You can never unsee. You can never leave.

What a gay idea. Of course it's a fucking noseberg that wrote this.

As opposed to this, partner the change of making the requirement for buying a gun at age 21 to now include the age to vote as well.
Shoehorn later on the 'contribution principle' to voting rights. If you take in more money from the government than you pay in taxes you are disqualified from voting.
The first move eliminates a large portion of a voting demographic that votes for the left (youth aged 18 to 25).
The second move eliminates all welfare moochers, government employees and basically most women from voting. In a few swoops the democratic party is eliminated from political power (at least in it's current form) and non-whites lose political power as well, which would either buy time or allow pro-white interests to dominate so as to make the non-whites return home.

16 year olds don't fight wars. I could give a shit if you survived a shooting. Lefts wan them to vote democrat if they thought that 16 year olds would vote republican then this wouldn't be happening.

>Unlike cold cognitive abilities, self-regulation does not mature until 22 years
So raise the voting age to 22? Nice self-defeating argument in this article.
>The science backs up the idea that we should lower the voting age to 16, because science says the brain is still maturing then! I'm a professor!

i was thinking we should raise it to 25. maybe throw in employment as an additional requirement

End of rine

Rine ends here

It is this bullshit here that I have to get a manager to open where the Pods are. Fucking moron kids are eating these and so they locked them up. Now there is a call to ban them. FUCKING MORONS ARE GOING TO DESTROY SOMETHING ELSE THAT IS USEFUL

This is why we can't have nice things.

I'm pretty sure it's consent with parents permission or is that marriage?