Whats with cyberpunk anime always oversimplifying it into a single corporation or government body controlling...

whats with cyberpunk anime always oversimplifying it into a single corporation or government body controlling everything rather than rival corporation warring with each other and regular people getting caught in the middle?
is the idea of the sole evil overlord just too ingrained in japanese media to ever strongly depart from? or do writers just find it too hard to work with more complexity than "all the good guys are on the same side and all the bad guys are on the same side"
or is it that a single corporation being the scarcely opposed highest authority is to the Japanese more of a worst case scenario than multiple corporations tearing the nation apart in their bids for power?

Look up "company towns".

I think you're thinking about Hollywood movies and YA novels

Because it's a visual medium, you cunt.
It's a different story in novels, where you can add endless of pages of needless exposition for a minimal cost.

>needless exposition
You mean interesting worldbuilding.

I thought those were more of an american frontier thing

you don't need endless pages of exposition to write about a futuristic warring states period scenario

>cyberpunk
I fucking hate this genre.
It's not bad in and itself, but unambiguously positive representations of transhumanism are virtually nonexistent because of it.

Do you not like our yuri robot utopia?

But seriously, writing about transhumanism is hard. You might as well write about aliens. The cyberpunk dystopia has the benefit of "explaining" why the potentially exponential progress has stalled.

very few cyberpunk stuff condemns transhumanism in any way. most direct their negativity towards capitalism rather than the technology itself

Because depicting believable fierce dystopian competition requires actual writing skills.

>Blame
>Cyberpunk
u wot m8

>writing about transhumanism is hard
Transhumanism is not about robutts. It's about enhancing the human condition, which ends up being about the meaning of "human" in the first place when you got robot-people and mutant-people and shit due to different ideas on "enhancing". A proper transhumanist society is by all intents and purposes alien to us

>A proper transhumanist society is by all intents and purposes alien to us
thatsmypoint

I don't know, what's with anime simplifying historical fiction to WWII with different t country names + a magic rock? It's just a trope that let's them focus on other shit. It's boring from a worldbuilding perspective but ironically they have to compete with a dozen lookalikes half the time so it falls by the wayside in favor of flashy visuals etc.

You know, I just tried remembering a few popular cyberpunk anime and manga, and I can't say I agree with you.

With GitS this stuff varies from iteration to iteration, but the world has many different companies that compete in a huge market. And even government has many subsections that disagree with it. Yes, there are giants like Megatech, but it's not the only corporation.

Blame! is post-cyberpunk, really, and author was just making shit up as he went. But in the prequel we see that there are multiple factions, none of which are necessarily good or bad.

Bubblegum Crisis 2040, Battle Angel Alita, Appleseed, Metropolis, Psycho-Pass,
well-known examples wherein the whole scope revolves around a single NWO type faction who pulls all the strings, vs the dissidents within that society.

Your examples aren't wrong, but I feel they are the minority.

because that muddies the water and makes it much harder to write about the themes that the author wants to focus on. the larger the scope of your work, the more easily it becomes something aside from your intent.

because anything complex like you're describing makes it sound like they're ripping off Shadowrun

Because that's the point? It wouldn't be a dystopian world if people aren't being oppressed by an all powerful government or corporation, and a government or corporation that big obviously wouldn't give a flying fuck about the rights of the people. The cyberpunk stories that aren't dystopian feature scenarios like you mentioned, GitS being prime example.

Easy storytelling

Psycho pass is not cyberpunk bro

Yes it is

How

Because most writers, Jap or otherwise, are hacks

Good world building shows, not tells.
Plunk the reader in a rich world, but let the narrative/realistic dialogue/plot introduce the elements, nor clunky forced monologues or spoonfed exposition.

Yes, and? You still need endless pages for that if you want to cram in all those details.

>capitalism
They whine about corporatism 24/7 and conflate that with Capitalism. Worst part is that they imply Government is the answer, if it isn't some stupid Anarcho-Communistic drivel.

As I recall, BGC had the corporation (Genom?) being super shady precisely because it was a monopoly. Having multiple corporations wouldn't just make it more complex, it'd be an entirely different story.
Psycho Pass had an ultra authoritarian government with magic powers. I don't know how you think that'd even make sense with multiple corporations.

>it's another "ancap is politically illiterate" thread
Wrong board you fuck.

Ghost in the Shell has companies and government fighting each other.

Also, Japan. Where you just have these huge holding companies that do everything and are everywhere.

>rival corporation warring with each other and regular people getting caught in the middle
In Japan, that is simply dull reality.

because japs cannot write shit outside of a school setting.

maybe in the 21st century.

Well, you have a dystopian society with technology advanced enough to create a surveillance system that literally follows everyone all the time, and uses human brains as processing power.
Advanced weapons, realistic human robots.
You can't do shit in this society without approval of that system. If you go against the system, you are legal meat to shoot.

Cyberpunk is not dark neon-lit streets and cyborgs everywhere. It is about corporate or governmental control with advanced technology and shit standards of life for lower class. Psycho-pass ticks these boxes.

>anime is the only Japanese media I've ever consumed and therefore I'm able to generalize
Ignorance sure is at an all time high here.

Realism.
Real life has taught us monopolies are inevitable.

>Cyberpunk is not dark neon-lit streets and cyborgs everywhere.

it the same way punk rock is not leather jackets and spiky green hair (because muh patti smith muh television etc). it's not, but at the same time, it totally is

>very few cyberpunk stuff condemns transhumanism in any way

Most of it does - and for good reason.
Most transhumanist shills are too brainwashed in their religious cult to see what the writers in the 70s and 80s were trying to convey.

Going after corporations is the Westerncuck shtick. Japanese cyberpunk works are mostly about - how losing your humanity ain't in any way greener than than what you'll find on the other side.

Ghost in the Shell - yes you can probably become "immortal" if you emulate yourself, but are you truly alive? No. The answer is plainly given in the movies - after Motoko's cyberbrain is destroyed she is never again used as a first person character.

A.D. Police - that whole anime is about machines actively making humanity evil

Akira - not only does it condemn transhumanism it condemns anarchism as well. The transhumorron's favorite impossible dream

Armitage - a robot wants to be human.

Ergo Proxy - RAISON D^ETRE

Well Ergo Proxy is more about mysticism/spirituality in a way.

But that is wrong. Google may own search in murrica, but the chinks have baidu.
And in the mobile segment they have competition from apple.

It's really not that dissimilar from cyberpunk settings where individual megacorps may be known for one big product but they still have conflicts with other megacorps over tangentially related products. Or even corporate secrets, see the whole waymo and uber thing.

>But that is wrong. Google may own search in murrica, but the chinks have baidu.

Only because their government stopped Google before they ended dependent like Europe. China is proving day by day the superiority of protectionism over liberalism, at least if you're big enough.

Capitalism naturally produces more goods than it can sell back at a rate of return high enough to sustain economic growth. In a cyberpunk setting, as in real life, this behavior would mean that corporations -being unable to invest in new production because it isn't profitable- merge rather than compete, operating as cartels and monopolies that can set prices to whatever they need them to be. This would presumably result in the formation of a single massive conglomerate that essentially plans the economy if given enough time.

The Fifth Element did this pretty well I think. Also Redline.

I know nothing about Capitalism the post.

Step to me bitch nigga.