Hajime no Ippo

Did the introduction of the Dempsey Roll ruin this series?

No

Yes

the russian guy was so cool.

>Coach literally says that Ippo barely jabs anymore ever since he acquired the Dempsey Roll
>The most powerful punches he has are barely used, despite the fact that they bruised the ever-living fuck out of all of his opponents who fought him
>Instead of wearing down his opponent, he thinks he can repeatedly use the Dempsey Roll without any repercussions

The dempsey roll represents the series repeating the same thing over and over so yes

It didn't, Morikawa's refusal to add any technical dimension to Ippo's finesse as a boxer is what's bringing the series down.

God's sake, it's been 20 years.

>God's sake, it's been 20 years.

jesus christ htf is this still going on

So I'm watching the anime and I love it so far. You people say the manga gets bad. Does the anime get bad? I hope not.

As someone who only clicks on manga pages being posted here, it seems to me that this series re-uses the same old formula for every arc. This Ippo faggot getting blown the fuck out for 10 rounds then finding strength out of nowhere to knock his opponent out during the final rounds. Is he supposed to be a homage to Chavez or something? Also is he still fighting that fast mexican guy who's always smiling?

GGG did a better Ippo

Well at least it's not Mahjong.

Ippo's gotten so long and drawn out that it should have honestly just ended by now. I get that they want to add more development to Ippo as a character, but now he's essentially back to square one, and the current fight with that baby face'd Filipino is legit one of the worst in the series. It shows more of the problems with the series in general and just how stagnated it's become.

The original anime is pretty good for the most part, but there are some pretty trash fights, mainly that one faggot that clinched a lot, and Date's pupil with the blue hair who gets KO'd in the first round or something.
The main problem with Ippo, and something that pretty much starts in New Challenger, is that he used the Dempsey Roll. A lot. Like, I'm not even joking when I say that most fights consist of Ippo just using the Dempsey Roll until it works. New Challenger is pretty much only good when anyone but Ippo is fighting.

They do tackle the subject of him and his turnabout KO victories, but it along with him having brain damage pretty much gets dropped. He just kinda gets over it. The only explanation is that he has a lot of guts.
>Also is he still fighting that fast mexican guy who's always smiling?
Well he lost to Gonzales, the Mexican guy, but now he's fighting a baby face'd Filipino that no one likes or cares about.

Ippo only fights twice in New Challenger and he didn't use the Dempsey Roll against Hammer Nao, so he only used it once against Yi Yonsu in that entire season.

Jack Dempsey is rolling in his grave

Well I guess there's stuff like his spar with Ricardo but that only sorta counts

Yeah and he gets blown out

So is Ippo supposed to be an amateur boxer or something?

At that point in the story, he was the Featherweight Champion of Japan. He's now ranked 8th in the WBA/WBC.

bump

Yes

Nah