A renowned critic of literature and film approaches you

>A renowned critic of literature and film approaches you.
>He declares all anime and manga is infantile trash with weak themes, terrible writing, incoherent plot. None of it comparable to humanities greatest works.

What would you show him to prove him wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Il2l3hEEtdk
openings.moe/?video=Opening1-GochuumonWaUsagiDesuKa
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We'd watch Milky Holmes together. He would become my bitch by the end.

Milky Holmes.

strap him to a chair and force him to watch boku no pico

O

How did you beat me to it, im speechless.

until there is a universal and objective governing body that determines what media/art is good or not good, then his opinion is just an opinion like everyone else's.

So he can right fuck off.

Say that hes right but that it doesnt matter because humanities greatest works are few, which means Ill be done "consuming" in a couple weeks while my life is 80+ years long.

I laugh at him for picking such a joke of a career

He would be correct. But unlike critics, I have a real job. I don't want want anything too deep or complex in my free time.

That's a very post-modernist statement.

Yosuga no Sora and Green Green

Berserk. Until the end of the golden age arc, Griffiths development and the role that guts and the hawks play in it are some of the best writing in manga.

Nothing, because someone like that isn't going to be persuaded.

>humanities greatest works.
And what is that? I don't read so I don't know what would be a good comparison to anime.

Sekkou Boys oughta show that it's not actually possible to tell the difference between humanities greatest works and it. Which ones are the original statues and which one's the anime? Who knows!

Tell him to fuck off with his rec thread.

That doesn't sound like a very realistic scenario. When it comes to anime, most film critics are either indifferent or very fond of it.
youtube.com/watch?v=Il2l3hEEtdk

>comparable to humanities greatest works.

Such as? This is highly subjective, and i'd like to find out what his bias is first, before arguing pointlessly with an imbecile.

>Golden Age arc wankery
Conviction arc is far superior

We'd watch Ashita no Joe as I firmly believe it is on par with the works of Victor Hugo and Charles Dickens.

I am an expert on humanity's greatest works of literature. No, I'm not going to spoonfeed you on what they are.

>>He declares all anime and manga is infantile trash with weak themes, terrible writing, incoherent plot. None of it comparable to humanities greatest works.
this only proves that he thought about best of the best of gook toons and reached the consensus we've reached years ago
he's one of us
I call his waifu a shit

Dostoevsky was a pretty good author and didn't use any convoluted language

I remember dropping that.

Conviction arc is also great, but for different reasons. Golden Age serves as a backdrop for fleshing out Griffith's and Guts' characters, showing how they became Femto and The Black Swordsman, respectively, and shedding light on how their fates are intertwined so closely. Together with the Black Swordsman arc, the Golden Age arc is the most crucial one, setting up the core story of Guts' hunt for Griffith.

>>A renowned critic of literature and film approaches you.
Appeal to authority. Also, how would I even know? I don't keep up with these sorts of faggots.
>>He declares all anime and manga is infantile trash with weak themes, terrible writing, incoherent plot. None of it comparable to humanities greatest works.
Sounds like the average newfag. Report, hide, move on.

Nothing. His declaration is right.

You can't report and hide a person who approaches you.

kek

Watch me.

I'm sure he'll go home and cry into his Antonia Shimerda daki.

Show him the Blazblue anime

>taking critics seriously

Netochka Nezvanova is yuri as hell. It's a shame he had to become a Christcuck before finishing his absolute masterpiece.

boku no pico

I agree that B v S is shit. I found SW FA ridiculous, but I am not sure if it's fair to judge it based on the fact that it's just a rip-off, when its audience is kids who don't know the original. The Mary Sue MC didn't help though.

Punch him in the face and become viral.

So he'd end up beating you as you shout "BAKANA"?

Bvs had good parts but bad parts. every scene with jesse and amy adams was bad and thats most of the movie. The martha thing was bad too

>What would you show him to prove him wrong?
The door.

My dick

Is this milky homes stuff a meme, or is it like an Aikatsu where it appears to be worthless but actually has something going on?

Are you by any means saying that BvS isnt a steaming pile of dog shit you overmeming contrarian fuck?

Well, it came out like 18 months ago, so it's probably not steaming anymore.

BvS is shit, you're a shitstain contrarian

>he
>not an ugly hysteric grillcake
I'll run away.

This is probably a better example

90% of anime is trash because 90% of everything is trash.

HAPPY NARU

Well, in that case, I am an expert on humanity's greatest animated works. No, I'm not going to spoonfeed you on what they are.

>Lowering yourself to the level of art "critics" to begin with
>Implying art critics aren't just a circlejerk of "My taste>Your taste" faggots
Aesthetes>>>Critics

I wish the movie was either less pretentious or more thought out.

Thanks for that, Im not mad anymore
Im not mad, im just disappointed. Upside I can now spam that its an underrated masterpiece so yeah

I tell him that he didn't understand shit and then I go on
of you meant to ask for recommendations, then NGE and SEL, in that order

Suck his dick, right then and there. That'll show him.

BvS needed more S and less B and it would have been perfect.

fuck pff jihad scum

but user, literary critique and literary studies isn't about writing reviews on whatever's the equivalent of mal for books

I call the cops

It's not a meme.

It's closer to Pripara (Same director), but it is pretty great. For the record it only has two seasons and a movie.

>mal for books
that'd probably be Goodreads

Vinland Saga and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I know it's kind of cheating, but whatever.

Tell him he's waifu is shit.

>infantile trash with weak themes, terrible writing, incoherent plot
But we're talking about anime, not videogames.

Urotsukidoji

>perfect
And Im mad again.
>Jesse giving his riddler imperson as Lex Luthor
>Jesse as Lex at all
>Lex knowing the secret Identities of BM and Supes from the getgo with no build up
>Lexs plan, whatever it was
>Bruce having prophetic dreams because fuck you
>The Flash traveling through time/universes out of nowhere with no build up at all
The fucker didnt even have his own movie yet and you're going to lead with that?
>Bruce passing out after The Flash leaves then immediately waking up like it was a dream sequence or some shit
>MARTHA
Fuck everything about that movie

Nah, it needed to remove all Z to be even good.

say I don't care and move on with my laifu

GochiUSA, the most intellectual anime ever made.
openings.moe/?video=Opening1-GochuumonWaUsagiDesuKa

Say "Y-you too" and walk away.

Babbies and thier "t-taste in art is subjective" hogwash.

he keeps following you and trying to make conversation.

>What would you show him to prove him wrong?
Nothing, I'd agree with him.

>He would be correct
No, there is plenty of worthwhile anime. Stop watching seasonal trash,
>I don't want want anything too deep or complex in my free time
You're ok with forever wallowing in your cheap ideals of entertainment? Imagine being so anti-art.

Then you'd both be wrong. A supposed film critic should be able to appreciate anime, because there are many worthwhile anime films. And in fact film critics do appreciate them.

You already posted it, OP.

Why would I care?

>I have a real job
Literary critique means working at a university and/or writing, those are jobs.
>I don't want want anything too deep or complex in my free time.
kek

Yeah, but he tends to be painfully dry and overly verbose in most of his famous works.

Taste is by definition subjective. And do you have any worthwile argument anyway? Babbling something about "m-muh post-modernism" isn't an argument, never was and never will be.

"Art is objective fags" are always wrong because for some reason they don't actually know anything about math or logic, which leads them to do stupid shit like being vague about their answers, as if they secretly knew they were wrong. They can never commit to a clear answer, because they are cowards.

However, there is nothing stopping people from discussing subjective matters. Saying it's subjective and trying to use it to end the discussion is merely saying that you don't want to talk about it.

your entire post is a logical falacy
apply yerself user

>literary critique and literary studies isn't about writing reviews on whatever's the equivalent of mal for books
I have a fucking degree on that and yeah, the vast majority of literary critique is an endless circlejerk, like all critique of all media, the more you study it the more it shows that, especially if you make diacronic studies on literary critique, make it better by doing that on different civilizations, it all invariably ends in the usual "my taste>your taste" argument at the end of the day, and nostalgiafags of course.

Media studies however are a whole other field and shouldn't be conflated with critique.

>Netochka Nezvanova is yuri as hell
Thanks, user, I thought it was just me imagining that due to my being a dumb yurifag anime-watcher.

Or actually wait, you didn't help at all.

Which is ironic because its objectvely true.

MY

I wouldn't. It'd be pointless. If he has such a strong and generalising opinion of an entire medium, then it means he's garbage at his job and not worth arguing with. It means that his opinion is based in bias and emotion. He can't possibly have seen everything that anime has to offer, he's basing his opinion on a bias formed by the minority of things he's seen and most probably external influences. And the reason he touts this opinion so loudly, and by extension probably the reason he became a critic, is so that he can feel superior to the people who like the things he shits on. He's shitting on an entire medium without actually trying to connect with it because he wants to feel superior to the vast amounts of people who enjoy that medium. Anything you show him he will tear apart by evaluating with criteria made to dismiss it. If you show him a simple but well made dramatic narrative, he'll complain about "weak themes". If you show him a symbolic art house piece all about thematic meaning, he'll complain about "incoherent plot". If you show him something that tries to combine these into something more unique, he'll complain anout "terrible writing". And so on. If you try to explain to him why these works connect with people, he'll dismiss you as being ignorant or over-analysing, depending on your tone. He's already made up his mind that a medium of expression with a history and culture onto itself has absolutely no value, there's clearly nothing you can show him to convince him otherwise.

Monster

I've watched the first season of it, and I couldn't detect anything comparable to humanities greatest works.

>critic
I wouldn't show anything. Just go back watching my chinese cartoons.

What about that boring Wonder Woman movie being super highly rated? It was half Jimmy Neutron does out of place thing in public, and half The View panel is unreasonably depressed because war and colonization. Was it 2deep4me?

The second season surpasses the first. Give it a whirl.

Ping pong the animation

I'd probably show him Milky Holmes, the height of fine art.

His still beating heart

tel him that the majority opinion overulles

CHAPTER

WHEN?