Is there any point in downloading anime in 1080? Or is it still upscaled trash like I heard a few years ago?

Is there any point in downloading anime in 1080? Or is it still upscaled trash like I heard a few years ago?

Other urls found in this thread:

anibin.blogspot.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Some are worth 1080p, others aren't.

download everything in 1080p if you have the space to afford it, very rarely is there something better in 720p than in 1080p

Yes. Almost all modern shows are animated in above 720.

Thank you.

And thank you as well. It's nice to see a consensus.

Just look at anibin.blogspot.com/
Only a few shows are true 1080p, most are 900p or lower

If you want the best quality. However, it's not necessarily worth the huge filesize. The difference between 720p and 1080p is very small when using proper media player settings.

>quality

Don't bother if you have to worry about space/download times or caps but if none of those are an issue then might as well download in 1080p.

Downloading a 1080p upscale of a 900p anime is obviously better than downloading the same anime downscaled to 720p, then upscaled again to 1080p or above by your computer.

Not neccessarily

Ask Daiz.

All anime of worth are produced >720p

If you watch staff on tv with 1080+ resolution and most of 1080 staff you watch are BD rips than yes, huge difference. Especially with FLAC sound.

I take my anime in a quality encode that has source material resolution. Anything else is just silly.

How

No point unless you know the native resolution is that high, Made in Abyss for example is native 900p so it is better to download it on 1080 and not 720, but for everything else, 720 is better.

Most of the time, yes.
I have heard about some terrible upscales from back in the day, though.
If the company in charge of the upscaling absolutely fucks up, you will do better getting a downscaled picture and then upscaling it yourself on the fly.

Of course, that's practically one in a thousand scenario. The grand majority of the time, getting the 720p version when it's a downscale of the original is plain idiocy.

what's the point if you're downloading horriblesubs anyway

Downscaling is easier than upscaling, and if you do it on your computer you can control how the upscaling is done which potentially gives a better result. The difference is negiable though anyway compared to the QUALITY you get in all resolutions and which might only be fixed by waiting for the BD.

Even BD releases are often only upscaled from the master, which is 720p in most cases.

Generally speaking, you want to look at what resolution the show was originally mastered at.
Most stuff nowadays seems to be somewhere between 720p and 1080p, so for currently airing shows 1080p is usually good. Though personally I do 720p for TV broadcast, 1080p for BD downloads.
Going back a few years, the industry started making most shows at 720p around what, '07-'08? And continued there till something like '13-'14. In that timeframe the difference between 720p and 1080p is practically nonexistent, which is why you remember Sup Forums talking about upscaled trash back then. You'd generally want the 720p for those shows, and upscale them with your player if necessary.
Going back even further, the industry made the switch to digital production around '00, and from then to ~'07 most everything was mastered in SD resolutions. For shows in that time range the upscaling is usually pretty terrible, and even the 720p tends to be trash. You're pretty much stuck with 480p for the actual best quality. I firmly believe that someday upscaling technology will be improved enough to allow upscaling shows in that era without loss of image quality, but we're many many years away from that still.
Pre-00s pretty much all anime was still cel-animated, so the original masters are on actual film. It's not really a fair comparison as the technologies are fairly different, but 35mm film is supposed to have a native resolution of something like 6k, many times greater than 1080p. When properly done, HD remasters from pre-00s shows are absolutely stunning, and more than worth it at 1080p.

Obviously this is all general, specific shows might have specific circumstances that change things. If you want to check what the native resolution for a show is, anibin.blogspot.com/ is the place to go.

depends on what anime
i download everything in 1080 anyways

No, anime has been shit since 1795.

Everything went to crap after Okyo's death, huh?

Very informative. Thanks for taking the time to type that out.

the question you should pose is: Should I download freshly prepared [horriblesubs] every week or download a 1080p rip that came from a bluray.

You are the most thankful user I've ever seen.