Get off the seasonal anime bandwagon

Get off the seasonal anime bandwagon.

There are 60+ years worth of anime and manga to choose from and you keep watching plebeian, seasonal shit. 90% of you just read Shonen Jump affiliate magazines and watch currently airing anime from the same five studios.

What was the last legitimately good anime you've seen? That doesn't mean the anime that got your pepe hardest btw.

Not so thinly veiled request thread.

Mods, you know what to do.

Hakujaden is awesome. Last legitimately good anime I saw was Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai.

There's at least one legitimately good anime each season, sometimes two or three, you fool, you moron.

That's a matter of standards and expectations. Truly great works aren't so frequent.

That's not anime. It's Japanese cartoonshit.

Not true. If I had low standards I would bang your mum.

conversely i do nothing but watch ancient shit no one cares about and can never be in the seasonal loop or conversations with people about new stuff

I watch too much anime to only watch the "Truly great works"
I mean, a season (12-13 episode cour) is only 4 hours. Fuck, four hours in a 3-month period is nothing at all.

It's anime you dumb fucking idiot. Anime is not an artstyle.

It's bait you dumb fucking idiot.

That's fine, I think OP's complaints are directed more towards people who forego the classics entirely.

>I was just pretended to be retarded
OK user, whatever.

Am I supposed to laugh at this shit or what? Talking about your cancerous post and that LOLSORANDUM cartoon that you posted

Wasn't me dumbass

>There's at least one legitimately good anime each season
Yes, but meanwhile you're watching everything else that also aired that season. Read my post. You need to stop that.

It's Japanimation.

Watch your backlog, stop watching seasonal shit.

I've pretty much run out of stuff "the good stuff" from the past to watch that is subbed to be honest. Watched pretty much every Toei movie from the Hakujaden era up to around Tatsu no ko Taro even terrible ones like their adaptation of Little Mermaid.

So now I mostly do watch seasonal anime with the occasional older show mixed in if something a bit more off the beaten trail takes my interest.

>Yes, but meanwhile you're watching everything else that also aired that season.
I read your post, and no I'm not.

>watch old WMT shows
>full of talking animals and children crying

>watch old sci-fi anime
>everything is just mecha toy commercials

>watch 80s OVAs
>everything is terrible

Anime peaked around 95-2000, shortly before the switch to digital. Within those 5 years is contained the perfect mix between creative ideas and the talented staffs that brought them to life.

that's the only anime I've ever seen lol
any advice for a beginner? I've never seriously followed an anime series before

It's painfully obvious that this post was made by a newfag armed with wikipedia knowledge and imageboard hearsay. He's the type of "anime connoisseur" who comments on anime he's never seen because he read about it one time on the internet. He regularly follows recommendation charts and never branches out.

loooool
this
No but on a real, I never understood seasonal anime watcher. it's such a waste if time bc 90% is generic bullshit from the copied from the last 5 seasons. every once in a while there's a masterpiece which gets cloned 5 seasons long. it doesn't even have to be a masterpiece. pure popularity is also more than enough.
recent examples are probably Steins;Gate, Attack on Titan, BNHA, SAO. even though SAO is no way near a masterpiece it had it's impact in the industry.

>90% is generic bullshit from the copied from the last 5 seasons. every once in a while there's a masterpiece which gets cloned 5 seasons long. it doesn't even have to be a masterpiece. pure popularity is also more than enough.

This is the redpill about seasonal anime.

>There are 60+ years worth of anime
Watching anime from before the 90's is painful. And outside of mecha which I highly dislike but understand that is supposed to be good, old anime is just bad bar a few exceptions that everybody already saw.

I think anyone who has been watching anime more than 5 minutes knows that most shows aren't particularly original. It is more down about if you can find things to enjoy in the kind of low brow entertainment that the majority of anime is or if you are only going to watch pieces of artistic genius.

I love it when something unique and interesting does come along but at the same time I can quite happily sit there and enjoy watching something like Umaru. Like that poster said earlier it is all about expectations and what you want in anime.

I think people who are only willing to accept the best most intelligent works of creative genius are far more likely to ditch anime after a shorter number of years personally because there just isn't that much of it and eventually you will get through most of what there is in the past that is worth celebrating as such.

Stop talking like a teenager.

lawl fucked up the one sentence.
I meant
>90% is generic bullshit copied from the last 5 seasons
also to validate my assumption:
just check on MAL how many anime there are rated between 5-6-7 compared to all other ranges.
>inb4 MAL fag lulul I'm retarded
stfu it's probably one of the biggest communities for a reason even though it's kinda normie.

it's fun to follow seasonal anime for memes/reactions though

watching old series is lonely and boring usually

>low brow entertainment that the majority of anime is or if you are only going to watch pieces of artistic genius

That is completely untrue. Like any form of media, there is a wide range of quality and certain phases industry which affect commercial output. There is great, good, decent and bad anime from every decade in its history. But if you just sit around and watch seasonal shit, you're the equivalent of a Big Bang Theory or Family Guy sitcom watcher. Completely brainless. If you consider anime to be a big part of your hobbies, then you should have a healthy diet of works ranging from all decades.

I wouldn't say boring, but it's definitely lonely. For better or for worse, seasonal anime freshens up the discussion.

This is the crux of the problem. Many of you aren't actually anime fans, you're just meme queens who want to pretend that you're some sort of anime expert.

Oh hello anime expert who's watched LoGH and Lain, you're so smart.

It don't think it is untrue at all regardless of decade. The majority of anime is distinctly low brow even within stuff intended for adults. You can most certainly pick examples from any decade that are not but the majority of it has no pretence of being profound and artistic.

You can certainly find things to appreciate in a more refined way in the craft and art of even the most low-brow of anime though. I mean people like Shinya Ohira, Shinji Hashimoto and Yasuomi Umetsu were animators on Angel Cop.

I already did, mostly due to the fact that seasonals are the most fucking insufferable people on Earth. I'm only watching one show this season, and only because it continues from a show that aired last year.

>it's fun to follow seasonal anime for memes
How far this hobby has fallen.

>watching old series is lonely and boring usually
Ironic weebs, everyone. I bet you have twitter and are part of some gay discord channel.

brigadoon

i typically do seasonal shows theres about one or two per season as said. and then i watch one or two shows from ancient lore per eason or so.

its just there is so much garabage to sift through to find gold nuggets. i can say this on average it easy to find decent thing among more modern creation than it is among 1970-90

I hate niggers like you.

Everything was a seasonal at one time, fag.

Not OVAs or movies!

>lawl
>improper greentext
>MAL
>stfu
>normie
Delete this thread

I just watch good anime. Old shit and new shit. Why is it so difficult for people to comprehend the idea that a good show is a good show regardless of when it airs?

It's painfully obvious that you are replying to bait, as are most people in this shit thread. You forgot to tip your fedora.

Well, I got the first season of Psycho Pass for five bucks recently. I think I've seen it three times already at this point, and it still holds up pretty nicely. I've liked the Blade Runner short, too. Oh, and Princess Principal was a surprisingly good spy piece. Coming to think of it, I also liked Blood Blockade Battle Front a fair bit, too.

>paying for entertainment

you're analpainfully obvious

>What was the last legitimately good anime you've seen?
New Game.

>that panda.
for alleged cartoonshit, it's got a real fight there.

old stuff?
LEGEND OF GALACTIC HEROES

i do like Honeamise and the original Yamato. Gundam and Macross are overrated, do Votoms, plz.
also, Slayers.

old anime had more sci-fi / braintrips
>read: good stuff

I don't even watch anime, just read manga. And at the moment am only reading 2 currently serialized series but one of them isn't being fucking scanlated anymore.

Learn nihongo.

I am actually trying to translate the chapter after the last one that's been translated but it's going really slow because I don't have more than a basic knowledge of Japanese.

Calm down, user. Everyone who isn't an idiot works on their backlog while watching seasonal stuff.

All I do is watch late 70's anime.

Fuck off, newfag. You have to be 18+ to post here.

I turned 18 today, shut up faget.

happy birthday user

Then act your age.

>Get off the seasonal anime bandwagon.
How about you stop telling people what to do?

>just do what you want bruh
How does it feel to be bringing about the downfall of Western civilization?

ultra samefag

>telling people what to do
>somehow isn't the downfall of western civilization

That's where you're wrong. You want so badly to be noticed and be important that you try to push your shit views on others because otherwise no one would give you the time of day and thenonly do so to get rid of you.

You're the human equivalent of a mild flu, and far less useful.

Sorry, cucko.

How am I supposed to learn Japanese, and have time for my other hobbies, exercise and getting 10 hours of sleep a night?

Just do it.

>10 hours
you don't need that much. 7-8 at most

I don't think everybody should just do what they want. People ought to contribute to society in some meaningful way. This thread is a far cry from that, though.

>people choosing to spend what little time they have alive on things they enjoy is somehow bad
wew lad

I think I have a sleeping disorder or something, I feel extremely tired and out-of-it and dead if I only get 7 hours of sleep but feel amazing when I get 10 hours. Sleep and exercise are my number 1 priorities. I'm honestly a danger to others when I'm sleep-deprived, I don't understand how people can brag about getting only 4 hours of sleep.

After you get the basics down most of the studying process basically becomes reading raw material, so you can use the time you usually devote to anime and manga, and you can review the words you learn at the gym between sets on your cellphone.

he keeps going

You could have sleep apnea or something; get it checked out. Not saying you shouldn't get your sleep, but think of all the things you could be doing with that extra time

not going to make it

>sleep apnea
I've been told I yell and talk in my sleep a lot, it could be related. Thought it was just night terrors. I'll see about getting it checked out, thanks.

>People ought to contribute to society in some meaningful way
why tho

You're pregnant.

With either new or old stuff, I'm still going to have to wade through a bunch of shit to find the good stuff, so I might as well focus more on what's new and therefore at least easier to get a hold of.

Besides, with older stuff I've mostly been there and done that already. Sure I haven't dug up every critically acclaimed or historically significant anime out there, but I've seen enough of them. What remains is probably not really to my taste anyway. And if there is one from way back when that I would really like, but never get to see it? Not the end of the world. There's only so much free time I've got, and mostly season stuff (as well as other hobbies) fills it up pretty well as it is, no need to go diving into the archives.

You're just a waste of resources otherwise.

Why not both? I have enough time.

Decided to look at this season's anime lineup for the first time in a couple years to see if things have improved. If anything it's gotten even worse. Everything is a commercial for a manga or a light novel. Do they even make original anime anymore?

>I'm contributing by policing peoples' anime tastes on Sup Forums
What a fucking badass.

I rode the seasonal train too early and missed out on all the old classic I should have grew up with. Now when I watch old shit that used to be really popular back in the day they seem like shit to me now. I regret not watching older anime more but I'm in too deep.

>Do they even make original anime anymore?
Occasionally.

made in abyss

So is literally everyone.

>That doesn't mean the anime that got your pepe hardest btw.
U sure?
Because your anime is making my peep diamonds.

anime didn't get good until 2010. this is a fact.

I've been slowly turning away from the compulsive seasonal anime watching.
Even when there's like 20 diferent shows that get regular discussion threads here most of them are pretty forgettable after the season is over.
also most of the anime that i watched and hated were things that i watched when they were coming out, granted i was picking up shows like an idiot, but nowadays i pick 2 or 3 per season and i still end up dropping one of them.
In the other side i've watched more "classic" anime in the past 6 months than in the last 2 years so yeah i guess i'll stick to the best of the season or the most fun to watch as it airs, and then i'll just finish my backlog.

>Besides, with older stuff I've mostly been there and done that already
No, you haven't.
>but I've seen enough of them.
You haven't.
>What remains is probably not really to my taste anyway.
You're an idiot for dismissing 40 years of anime.

Get smart.

>this 2min clip has more sakuga than most anime in the past decade
Really makes you think.

Really makes you think what?

that it has more sakuga than most anime in the past decade

wrong. code geass is from 2007.

damn kung fu panda was sick before the 3d meme

woah

Mate, I've been on seasonal fare for the last 20 years, and I've seen countless shows from the 90s, a pretty good amount from the 80s, and even some notable bits and pieces from the 70s. I may not have seen everything that's worthwhile, but chasing up what's left is not really worth the time and effort to me.

Or you could stop being a pleb, open up to anime from all decades and simply pursue whatever looks interesting to you.

I love 80s and 90s high schools
Did SoL shows exist back in those days?

Oh yes, because instead of digging through recent seasonal shows that I can discuss with Sup Forums I could just watch seasonal shit from when my parents were still kids and pretend that I am so superior and so much more cultured than the average plebeian on this board.
I mean just sitting through 6 decades' worth of shitty OVAs time forgot about just sounds like so much fun. After all if it's old it has to be good, a hipster like me could never admit to enjoy something made after the year I was born.