What was the point of this arc?

Seriously what was the point? Hit was the only one who was an actual threat to the protagonists.

Introducing zeno

Introducing monaka

They wanted to showcase new enemies(sans Cabbage) with abilities that make it so Goku and Vegeta can’t punch their way out of a problem. Problem is:

>Didn’t commit to the idea. Botamo is taken out in one episode, Frost is disqualified for cheating, Cabbage stood no chance. Metal Man jobbed.
>No stakes and tension. Besides Hit, the Antagonists are way below Goku and Vegeta’s level. It’s outright stated in the beginning that nothing changes for our protagonists if they lose. Tone is too lighthearted to convey tension. Blue should have been banned or merged because the viewers know the Saiyans can just pull it out and instantly end the fight.
>Goku and Vegeta show. Would have been nice to let the other underlevled Z-Fighters fight.

Literally a filler arc just like all of DBS.

It makes me wonder how much of the story was Toriyama’s doing. I know he only does outlines but still. Are writing standards in nip land so bad that shit writers can land a job doing a high profile show or is Toriyama so senile he forgot basic storytelling?

Make us bored enough to drop Super

There's no point to Super in general. We already know everything turns out fine because of Z. The only meaningful contribution Super has made so far is taking away Future Trunks' happy ending.

I don't mean to sound stereotypical but Toriyama was always a fucking hack. Every decision he wanted to make was retarded from the very beginning, he was very editor-reliant.

It was his editor who made him keep changing the Android Saga's villains and giving Cell new forms. Not that I'm complaining because I love the Android/Cell saga.

Super is entirely a canonical fanfiction. Jump and Toei pay Toriyama to put his name in the credits for promotional reasons.

Toriyama's tournaments always had issues. The standard ones are saved by the established main cast facing each other and the main antagonist's battles, but the other competitors are always throw away trash rather than interesting new characters that can join the cast, unlike usual for shounen tournaments.

In fact, the U6 tournament follows a very similar model to the Baba tournament, which had very similar issues - most fighters were jokes and could do nothing to Goku until the final match.

And this is mostly on Toriyama. Just look at the manga, which is another take on Toriyama's outline. Toyotaro tries to salvage Magetta's battle by making it entirely comedic, but Frost still gets a lot of screentime for a character who turns out to be worth nothing, and Cabba is still useless compared to the main cast.

In fact, the Hit battles ends up worse than the anime, since Goku using Kaioken there was added by the anime staff, so it all just becomes a big nothing in the manga, due to no new power up being necessary.

Don't forget about the pointless written exam that eliminated Buu.

And then he didn't participate in the Tournament of Power either because he fucking fell asleep (??)

lore

Did too many gains too fast, had to recuperate.

Which is a shame because I wanted to see Skinny Mr. Buu do something neat.

Damn autocorrect, I meant Blue should have been nerfed not merged.

So a rehash of the DBZ Afterlife tournament between Cell and Buu?

I thought it was just to introduce new characters and show off the super dragon balls, and that was it.

Seeing Buu do something was literally one of the only reasons I looked forward to any of these shitty arcs and they just keep fucking shitting on him. I want to see him homestly become a bro, not just a goof that satan has to keep reigns on.

They wanted to hype up so they can crush my dreams again

>Seeing Buu do something was literally one of the only reasons I looked forward to any of these shitty arcs and they just keep fucking shitting on him.

Not the guy you're replying to, but I agree. Buu's match during the exhibition match was easily the best thing that has come out of the new arc. That Toriyama felt the need to tease Buu again, just to sideline him is the worst shit to come out of Super, only the shit with Piccolo literally being made to forfeit so Vegeta could beat off on Frost, being the worst shit that has happened in Super, as a whole.

I half-expected Goku and Vegeta to just soak up all the screentime throughout Super, but it's just plain fucking insulting for Toriyama/Toyo/Toei/Whoeverthefuck to even have the secondary cast, if they're not even going to be allowed to do shit of any significance.

>In fact, the Hit battles ends up worse than the anime, since Goku using Kaioken there was added by the anime staff, so it all just becomes a big nothing in the manga, due to no new power up being necessary.

what did you mean by this!?

Introducing U6 saiyans (which would be expanded later by bringing in Caulifla and Kale)

Introducing Frost (who would have a "mini arc" in the middle of the ToP)

Introducing Hit (who would return for a rematch with Goku later and team up with Goku in the ToP).

Introducing Champa and Vados.

All of these character have come back later in some shape or form and interacted with the main crew. If anything this arc added more characters that would see future use than any other arc of Super.

Also SSBKK Goku.

Not him but there is no SSBKK in the manga.

On the other side here they introduced Goku switching between SSG and SSB for the speed/power tradeoff to surprise Hit. This strat would not be used in the anime up till ToP.

There was none. Toei wanted a "tournament" arc and since it was universally panned (even in Japan) they're trying again atm