I just finished season one of Darker Than Black

I just finished season one of Darker Than Black.
>constantly introduces interesting characters only to kill them or never develop them past their basic personalities
>multiple two parters that have little to no connection
>slugish plot
>introduces high concepts and never explains them
>barely explains it's own plot

oes this get better?

Depending on who you talk to yes and no.
Does this series get any closure? Fuck no whoever wrote this shit knows how to leave football field wide cliff hangers of unexplained world building plot points that will go never explained. When fans asked bones if there was gonna be a third season we literally got a no, with no real explanation why.

Contractors don't have personalities or the need for any kind of bonds, though. That's kind of the point.

Darker than Black tells its story in episodic arcs that slowly reveal more about the setting, but at the same time leaves you guessing and speculating about the rules of the world.
That mystery is part of the appeal of the series.

The core supporting cast is also one that grows on you as you see more of their pasts, motivations, and actions.
If you aren't enjoying seeing chinese electric Batman electrocute the people in his way while smooth jazz plays in the background then you should just drop it now.

>I just finished x
>does x get better?
what?

There's still more after S1

No there isn't

You mean the OVA's? They're kind of nice, yeah.

I finished season one, I still have OVA series one, season two, and OVA series two

>season two
When's it coming out?

Denying the existence of the OVA's and S2 means ignoring the amazing soundtrack that came with them.

There's also the manga which is quite good. Takes place between S1 and the OVA's, but is a self contained story that is never mentioned in the anime, so you can read it whenever.

It's already out? It's 12 episodes

I think you've lost it, user.

I like the music, the animation is great, the characters are great, the individual story arcs are great, the ideas are great, the world building is great, and the concept of the contractors is great, but the fact that it's not explaining anything that's going on, the lack of character development, and unsolved mysteries is driving me crazy. I feel like all the characters know things that I not only don't know, but will never find out. It's not even a "I want them to hold my hand" kind of thing, just slow down, let things breath, and for fuck's sake, stop killing the best characters. I plan on finishing it, but I have no idea how to tell my friend their favorite anime is just decent. This is worse than when I was recommended Death Note after another friend gushed about it.

Oh, I see what you're doing now.

[GUITAR RIFFS]

When will season 2 come out? I have been waiting for years

If they made a 3rd season that filled up all those un explained points the entire series would be saved to be perfectly honest. The only other thing required is hei getting his chinese electric batman powers back through some plothax.

on another note the character designers manga Dimension W is literally a Cyberpunk spiritual successor version of Darker than black, which literally doesn't help the case.

plothax probably won't be necessary
since he technically isn't a contractor (the power is due to his sister's soul living inside him) his sister could probably regain his/her power without too many plot holes as a result

who the fuck told you there was more? Too bad the series couldn't get a season 2, I'm sure it would have been epic, but unfortunately there is no season 2 we don't know how the gates appeared or any of the bigger mysteries that were presented in S1.

I just wish it explained how the hell he was so deadly in South America without being a contractor.

Also, a Heavens Gate War ova of some sort would be amazing.

If I won the lottery DTB S3 is the first thing I would commission. It would have to be 2cour.

I don't see any problem with any of those things. In fact I think you just explained all my favorite aspects of Darker Than Black. Aside from Yin. And Hei's collarbones.

You guys fucking suck Suou a cute season 2 was a beautiful mess

UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ

That's because he was with Amber and Pai. Hei and co were unkillable because Amber simply rewound time to stop any mistakes and deaths.

Had Amber not been there Hei would have stayed dead during the war in SA.

I want to commit a crime

On a kotatsu? Wait, why is there a cup falling from nowhere?

O damn I totally forgot about that.

What the fuck is this guy even talking about
I wish, believe me if there was one I'd watch it.

>no coat
>no mask
>no rin
>mary suou
>beautiful

lel

Too bad Dimension W was shit.

NOW I'VE LOST IT

Hei will die, but he will go back in time...

I don't actually have the pasta saved.

nvm found it.

Hei will die. But his soul will choose to go back in time, the time when he was happiest, and he will be at season 1 first episode. Suou who loves Hei wants to be with him too and wants to be in a time when Hei'd love her, but since he already loves Yin she'll go back in time before Hei is born, and become his mother

Reading the manga is and seeing Misaki suffering is amusing

I unironically believe DtB was Evangelion, but better.

This copypasta was still better than what we actually got

It's been ages since I've last seen this.

watch the OVA, then forget it ever existed

trust me

This.

Season 1 was good and it's arc basically concludes in the OVA which is still one of the best anime productions I've ever seen.

Season two is disappointing, nowhere near as good and provides absolutely no closure.

Rewatched it somewhat recently and it was pretty enjoyable since I didn't remember much outside few characters. Back when I first saw it I didn't pay much attention to the production values, but after increasing my powerlevel with hundreds of series it's easy to see how consistent the animation and how well directed all the action is compared to lot of other stuff (most recent big example probably being Psycho-Pass).

Also, the first OP is still one of my favorite openings, the intro with scrolling logo and dat riff is just too awesome.

Best girl died too soon.

I am surprised this never got a S2 as S1 was really popular but I feel like it's probably for the best rather than some shitty sequel set in the DTB universe

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Why does this show feel like it was written for Tumblr?

I want to fuck Hei's collarbones

Are you referring to Hei eating like a hambeast and not putting on a gram of fat (something delusional fatties seem to attribute to "fast metabolism")? Electricity probably burns a shit load of calories.

I KNOW I CAN KILL

I watched the entire first season and I don't remember a single thing about the plot, the characters or how the season ended. Any other series I remember pretty well. But this shit was so forgettable I only have a very vague idea of what I watched. Anyone else felt the same way about this series or any other series for that matter?

>cast is diverse as fuck
>the girls are obsessed with yaoi fan fiction
>style over substance
>brooding and edgy
It may as well be Death Note 2.0

>brooding and edgy
What the fuck edgy even means nowadays? Violent?
>the girls are obsessed with yaoi fan fiction
You mean the twintails detective? Actually the only thing I remember being sexualised was Hei's collarbones, and that was in a straight way by girls, no?
Other than that you're right.

ITT: Sup Forums pretends SAO isn't better than DtB in every way

Maybe it's only due to my little exposure to anime, but everyone minus a few spend most of their time brooding, being a jerk that's too cool for school, and the whole concept of losing your humanity for super powers and having to pay a penalty for using them is edgy to me

>nu/pol/ watches anime

What?

>Maybe it's only due to my little exposure to anime
Lurk more

>lurk on a board I never come to due to waifufagging
I would rather not. I'm more into live-action Japanese television. I just finished 101st Marriage Proposal

I have to ask: Is the story correctly explained in the manga?

when they get to the UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ