/dune/

Let's discuss the politics of Dune.

Would it have been been better for the universe if the baron had succeeded and killed the Atredies considering all the horror that resulted? Were the Fremen destined to rule the universe anyways?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IF_0W1cYPYo
youtube.com/watch?v=1NZiTVPXmNM&list=PLRXGGVBzHLUdsgN_vFaZmfjc6bXxPqajV
youtu.be/m0cJNR8HEw0
dune.wikia.com/wiki/Zensunni
youtube.com/watch?v=Ejs_tkHnI9w
gamesofdesire.com/files/flash/behind-the-dune.swf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If humanity would have been better under the Barron than Paul would have known about it as he saw the golden path. So I would assume that since both people who could see the future(s) didn't mention it than it probably wasn't a thing.

It would have been better if that cunt Jessica had birthed a daughter that could have been married to a Harkonnen heir, as she was told.

This. Women, like always, ruin absolutely fucking everything.

I think Frank Herbert's point was that regardless of the path, there will always ultimately be war and even genocide sometimes, but that still doesn't exclude that there can be 'better' paths than others, not only for individuals, but society as a whole.

the subtext is don't let women mix with politics, especially witches/satanists

does anyone remember the original dune game? was pretty based, had a great ost too

youtube.com/watch?v=IF_0W1cYPYo

Are all of Frank's Dune novels worth reading? I've only read Dune, but I've heard mixed opinions on his other books. The one thing that seems to be a universal consensus is that the books written by his son are hot garbage.

SAGE

Welcome, newfriend. I'm afraid Sup Forums is not like your home of Plebbit. A sage is now a downvote here, and is not to be used as such. In fact, posting in a thread with the sole purpose of saging it is actually a bannable offense!

Lurk moar before shitposting pls

>now a downvote
not a downvote*

Jessica is a whore

They ok. He really starts waxing philosophical in god emperor such that you can’t really understand what he is getting at... and I’m the last book (unfinished, editors and his kid finished it) starts talking about the jews

Dune, Dune: Messiah, and Children of Dune make up a trilogy, so you owe it to yourself to read them
God Emperor of Dune is good, but pretty self-fellating

The books can kind of be thought of as 3 series. 12,34,56
Dune Messiah is great and a good addition to the first book. It is actually my favorite of the series. Books 3 and 4 are good.
Books 5 and 6 get really out there.

I think they are all worth a read if only for the fact that Herbert is a great writer and for me they were all page turners.

Yeah, I figured the metaphysical/philosophical stuff would get more and more out there as the series progresses.
Thanks for the input anons, I'll pick them up next time I get around to the bookstore.

For ninety generations you and your Bene Gesserit have labored in secret to produce a living, breathing super-weapon... one that would empower you to overthrow both the Guild and the Emperor. Indeed. This weapon, I am. And these goals, I have achieved. *But I will NEVER be YOURS to control.

harkonnens were short sighted greedy cunts from start to finish and 2D as fuck

The Dune series always seemed interesting to me, but I've tried to read the first book twice and always got bored and tired of it after like 100 pages of basically nothing happening besides lore dumping. Does it pick up after a point or is this series just not for me?

the fight was against the ability to see the future, as the ultimate enemy could win any battle since they'd be able to observe it from a higher dimension, and plan accordingly

but by knowing the future and taking those steps, a society crumles from within from atrophy, no incentive to try new things, humanity perishes again

but if they not everyone can see the future or can hide from prescience they will be enslaved by the one faction that can, which in turn fizzles out and dies over the years subsequently

man was not meant to be controlled

The halfway point, roughly. It started dull to me too, but once it picked up, I was hooked.

to add to that, Leto II could see the final ultimate enemy, advanced face dancers that could see the future, from chapterhouse in the spice trance. he then resolved to breed a bloodline of atreides invisible to prescience to stop them (engineered the scattering)

What's the best depiction of the sardukar, go.

Paul reminds me of the wars that the shemites start. I just started dune messiah, but it seems like he destroys the esssense of the fremen that made them strong in the first place by bringing such wealth to his kingdom through his holy wars. Paul seems like an extension of the demiurge, fulfiling the BJ mythos.

Yeah, it gets better. Like user said, around halfway. Try listening to the unabridged audio book when your driving, doing work, cleaning, or whatever, and when it starts getting good, pick up at that place in the book. It's like an weird history book until Paul gets in with the Fremen. It's full of really great concepts, like the almost unlimited potential of human beings. It might be the first book that talks about AI trying to eliminate mankind. Also, it takes place in the 41st millennium, I think. I guess I'm off topic, but I love the whole feudalism in space, several different factions backstabbing each other, weird future religions, etc..
The spice is basically a combination of 5th dimensional petroleum mixed with DMT.

BG*

listen to the audiobook off youtube

Post me a netflix link so i cam watch it fagget

>Books are smart if they keep saying words like "prescience" and "deepest consciousness" over and over again.

Also, the Baron was a comically evil villain and the whole Paul adopting a foreign culture was just cringey to the point where he says things like "May your crysknife chip and shatter!"

The lore dumping and setup is trying but at least read til SHTF to tell if you really like it

My favorite was God Emperor of Dune, Dune Messiah was excellent and Children of Dune was hard to read because it makes no sense until you read God Emperor but it was still good.

Heretics of Dune was ok but it had really weak parts.

Chapterhouse was just so weird with actual jews in it, it just doesn't fit with the story.

I remember seeing a neat cover for a dune book

Agamemnon and the machine crusade or something. What the fuck was that about?

youtube.com/watch?v=1NZiTVPXmNM&list=PLRXGGVBzHLUdsgN_vFaZmfjc6bXxPqajV

>Woman ruined the plans of women.
>Women fuck everything up

So Jessica helped?

I'm legitimately terrified that his son is signed on to write the movie. I've got a crazy story if one of you anons wants to hear it.

Don't be a tease

>Be me
>Write screen play for Dune for past 3 years
>Find out Legendary Pictures has just bought rights to the franchise.
>Look at politics in ME.
>Say oh fugg
>Travel to Morocco and speak with US embassy
>Receive permission to act as diplomatic functionary between Legendary and Morocco to get the approval of an Islamic state for the franchise to quell extremist reactions to the film.
>Contact Legendary licensing department
>Radio silence
>Travel to Los Angeles
>Report my concerns to the FBI
>Sit outside Legendary with a Moroccan Flag to offer a deal to shoot in Morocco and recieve government approval of Islamic themes.
>Get investigated by the FBI for trying to stop the next major terrorist attacks against US citizens.
>Get dismissed as Fame seeking and self interested
>Meanwhile Legendary continues it's pursuit of an extremely politically sensitive film for the sake of profit over everything else with 0 regard for international security
>I'm still the selfish one
>The absolute state of American Intelligence organizations.

Sincerely hope that FBI niggers are reading this.

You are fucking retarded and people are going to get hurt because of your fucking negligence and incompetence as it concerns resolving the Islamic fundamentalist problem.

Feel free to inquire about my file with the LA FBI, a query of legendary productions and the Dune franchise should pull up some results. It's not too late to correct your mistakes. Im waiting.

Sorry for the slide OP. Had to get that off my chest, thanks for the opportunity.

>LJN

It doesnt really get better. I found it tedius theentire way through.

sauce on pic related? anyone got a link?

Can we discuss Harry Potter next?

any of yall niggas know where i can find this vid

is there a video of pic related?

damn an0n...

Lol ok wtf are you guys going to every thread and posting this shit. Please kill yourself you massive faggot.

Pic related is (you)

Just started reading the book and its funny how much off a ripoff WH40K is. They stole everything.

Thanks for the you bud. Fighting the good fight. MAGA.

It's a bot, stop replying to it and just report it.

So you are Eric Roth?

LOve a pic Wth the Sup Forums facts

RWDS.
With friggin lasers

>Pick up Dune Messiah
>MUH SIX MILLION JEWS
Christ.

It's smart because it's well-written with amazing characters, a fantastically rich universe, and a complex, well-executed plot.
How was Paul adopting Fremen culture "cringey" in any way? It's exactly what was supposed to happen and set up that way by the Bene Gesserit.

...But you fucking ausfags can't even read so why am I arguing?

No, I'm a rando with some weird government connections. I have reached out to Eric Roth on Twitter though. He's a good writer, it's just that this movie is too sensitive to produce without a diplomatic department. By judging the past few movies legendary has put out, they aren't exactly the most intelligent films. This approach could be dangerous with Dune given the circumstances.

Are they gonna make Paul black to meet the new sjw standard in jewwood

i feel like you havent read all 30 books op youtu.be/m0cJNR8HEw0

We'll see. Doesn't really matter what his skin color is as long as the guy at least understands the basics of Islamic history and law. Wouldn't surprise me though to see some reverse racism shit like that to fill the void of any real cultural awareness.

where can i find this video?

Dune is the story of duke Leto and his amazing dick making a witch do his bidding and give him a male heir. Also, the spice must flow

Well I am hoping Denis villeneuve helms it and turns it into another great movie like blade runner was.

Loved that game also Dune 2000

Same, but he seems like he just wants to crank out a shitty Blockbuster with this movie... Idk, my assumption is that Brian Herbert is sitting at the helm and forcing everyone to do what he wants, and the scripts are probably differing for it. All of Denis' interviews about the project so far are super unenthusiastic. And Brian just keeps shit posting on Twitter about how many famous people are working on Dune. Imo the dude is not cut out for the job. Maybe as an advisor he would do okay, but idk what his contract looks like with the studio. Tldr: Brian Herbert might fuck the script so hard that Denis can't salvage it.

rundown for anyone not in the know
dune.wikia.com/wiki/Zensunni

Suffering* not differing.

Phone posting faggot here.

i just took a shit and i'm out of toilet paper. lick me clean and i'll send you the vid you desire.

Harkonnen dindu nuffin

youtube.com/watch?v=Ejs_tkHnI9w

This, fuck the Baron. Degenerate bastard.

I have read the book several times and listened to the audio book once.
Both were very enjoyable to me

>Let's discuss the politics of Dune.
white people with blue eyes fight over a desert for control of a commodity that is needed for travel... kind of cut and dry to the point basically what the brits had planned for iraq. they called it iraqis or some shit

the simple fact that a white guy with blue eyes is the messiah nigger is kind of insulting

Thanks user, good link.

The use of terms like Jihad, Sharia, Adab, Mahdi throughout the book are all Islamic concepts too. The fremen are based on Islamic bedouin people in a pseudo realistic manner that is extremely engaging for the story. But because of the political climate right now there needs to be dolomitic measures taken to at least show some gesture of respect to the Islamic community.

Morocco is probs the best country for this, they are pro Western Civilization and actively fight against extremism, all under an Islamic Monarchy. They are one of few Islamic countries that have managed to stay out of war in the middle East. Morocco is an ancient multi cultural Civilization that practices peace between all the religions and races. They are a good example to the modern world on how to acknowledge differences without being antagonistic.

by the way, this degenerate was father of lady Jessica's, Paul mother.

Yes. Wonders will never cease

Harkonnen did nothing wrong but being fat

I got through the first 4. Started Heretics and just couldn't get into it. I've read a few of his sons books. A couple are good, but the majority are in fact hot garbage.

The Baron was into little boys

His fault he decided to hate-fuck a Bene Gesserit

and one with remote-controlled STDs at that

>that one book where Duncan gains sexual hypnosis powers
Herbert jumped the shark with God Emperor

Go to /lit/ faggot.

Get out

We all have our dark sides

So you're saying Fremen = (((Them)))

Thanks for the insight Burgerbro. Interesting out of 10.

James? Is that you?

His best is the Pandora sequence/ destination void. Way better than the Dune saga IMHO.

The preceding trilogy was all a necessary "prequel" to God Emperor of Dune, which is his masterwork. The entire series was shining a warped, allegorical mirror on the myriad ways humans are manipulated socially, politically, religiously and by brute force. Leto's Golden Path (the genetic encoding of an aversion to war) was the only way to save humanity from utter self-desteuction, and Herbert explains it all in the fourth book. Even a literal Messiah, a living god-man of superhuman powers and foresight, was not enough to save them. It took millenia of deep training that could never be forgotten, conducted by a being who had transcended human desires. Anything else meant extinction.

kek

You're telling someone who posted "sage" to lurk more? You really fucking need to lurk more faggot

yeah i remember dehydrating into a full skeleton in seconds in the desert, getting fucking eaten by the sandworm, and generally dying and never getting anywhere while captain picard chides my ass the whole way

Funny mockup game from Dune 1. Oh nostalgia

gamesofdesire.com/files/flash/behind-the-dune.swf

Hollywood needs to stay well clear of Dune. In this climate it will promoted as pushing Islam. I seriously doubt that was any goal of Herbert. I suspect he wanted to choose a religion that was real enough he didn’t have to invent everything but absolutely and completely foreign to his US audience. Which at the time Islam was. Unfortunately we have learned a LOT about Islam in the interval.

>bump-stocks.

absolutely this

So American?

I thought it was crazy that he would merge two religions that hate each other into one.

>ignoring the part where the orthodox jews and cryptojews literally control the Dune Universe