History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

Guys, I am somehow not satisfied with the ending. It felt rushed. Did something happen?

Let's see, Magazine got a new Editor, Editor wanted to start a whole lot of new series so he decided to cancel currently ongoing series. Kenichi got axed because of that.
>To celebrate Weekly Shōnen Sunday's 55th anniversary, 55 new manga series were launched in the print and online magazines Weekly Shonen Sunday, Shonen Sunday S, Ura Sunday, and Club Sunday throughout the year beginning in March 2014.

The head editor from the magazine it was being published wanted something special for the 50th aniversary of said mag. So he axed every ongoing series and went with 50 brand new manga.

the magazine had an editor who took the axe to numerous long-running series to try to shake it up and expand readership by launching new titles.

but HSDK was limping along for a long time before that, anyway, probably ever since Apa survived thanks to magic shounen surgery at a time when one of the lessons Kenichi was struggling with was that he had reached a level where battles could deadly consequences. There's a reason fanservice was being dialed up more and more and while Shigure-chan is A VERY BEST amongst several candidates, it was just a byproduct of decreasing quality.

It got axed.

Pity his next series was an absolute piece of shit.

i mean the entire series turned to shit after the focus shifted to the masters

Fuck that editor
>since Apa survived thanks to magic shounen surgery
Yeah that was bullshit

Thanks guys

It got axed so he had to rush towards an ending. Probably a good thing too since the series was dragging so hard that no amount of ass and tits could have saved it at that point despite his valiant efforts.

Why the fuck did they let him do that? Even Bleach got dragged around like a zombie years after it lost it's luster, before getting put down for good. And Kenichi was fairly popular with a 9/10 adaptation.

The Editor got fired didn't he?

masters were awesome.

Got axed along with many others, but the manga was really dragging on its ass by then so it didn't feel underseved in my opinion, things were boring that the fanservice was dialed up to 11 so it could keep its readership, at the end Shigure basically spent the rest of the series naked, and that's kept me going basically, I just wanted to end.

To top it the fact Adult Kenichi wasn't show was an absolute cop out on the author's part.

Yes they were, in the fucking background teaching Kenichi how to grow up, it's telling how much the masters stole the series when Kenichi became a master himself offscreen as mere mention he does at the very final chapter of the series.

Kenichi becoming a master was always going to be the end goal though. There was no legitimate way he could have gotten there without a timeskip though, so it was obviously always going to be a last chapter epilogue sort of thing.

Doesn't matter how cool they were, the masters hijack completely fucked Kenichi's progress as a fighter.

His goal was to get strong to protect Miu and her gramps would only allow them to become an item if Kenichi became strong enough to defeat gramps himself, the strongest monster in the series.

That shit basically never happened on-panel as the very last arc only had Kenichi barely catching up to Miu's full strenght, which showed how much stalled Kenichi's growth had become because the masters took to much panel time; the series basically had to end with a timeskip with faceless Kenichi narrating one day he finally reached master level and supposedly got strong enough to earn to right to Miu's hand, all offpanel because the author fucked the pacing of the manga.

>so it was obviously always going to be a last chapter epilogue sort of thing.
Who's to say that? The series was 61 Volumes long, plenty of space to detail an entire lifetime of a rookie becoming a god, don't fool yourself, the fact Kenichi didn't even reach Miu's level at the end of the series before the final chapter shows the author completely stopped caring about making Kenichi grow.

Wasn't The World God Only Knows also one of the casualties of that? I remember a lot of people being annoyed by its seemingly rushed conclusion.
I'm not sure what any of the other cancelled series that people cared about were

>so it was obviously always going to be a last chapter epilogue sort of thing.
Naruto became Hokage at the end of the series but we saw him getting stronger little by little till he outclassed everyone, Kenichi ended the series with only two major "power ups" that barely made him close to the woman he wanted to protect, how fucked up is that?

It really didn't help his new manga that he increased the fanservice even more.
Now he's unemployed and keeps himself busy by assisting his former assistant.

Well he did eventually get Master levels of swole and impregnated Miu. Too bad we'll never see any of that actually happen.

I wonder how many of his fellow disciplesmade it that far.

I know that, hence why I said before the last chapter, but in the final arc, in his final fight Kenichi was just close to Miu level, that is proof enough that his growth in the series proper, not in some half-assed epilogue, was completely halted.

>Now he's unemployed and keeps himself busy by assisting his former assistant.
damn that is sad

I suspect all the disciples made it to master level, apart from ukita, or whatver that guy with the shades was called

Siun should just look for some underground seinen magazine to make ecchi series at this point, fanservice is only strenght.

wouldn't Miu's growth need to be halted for kenichi to catch up to her?

>Now he's unemployed
Is he really? Doesn't he have another series or did that get axed too? He should just do hentai.

It's not like Matsuena is poor though, he had a 61 Volumes series going, unless he blew all his money on hookers then there's no way he is starving on the streets, by keeping a low profile he could live off royalties alone.

I miss Ukita. He was utterly useless, but entertainingly so.

She wasn't the protagonist though, love interests are usually surpassed in the shounen battle manga.

At any she already was freakshly strong by having super powerful genetics, if Kenichi surpassed her she wouldn't automatically become some weak damsel, she would be the 2nd strongest in Kenichi's gang.

They certainly have the potential, but I'm not sure whether or not all of them survived long enough to become masters, especially the Yomi disciples.

He made a joke along those lines on twitter. I'm sure his publisher still pays him for the bonus art he draws for his disciple's manga.

only if you assume Miu is training just as hard and Kenichi and that growth is linear.

Kenichi caught up to geniuses who had been training for a decade in half a year.

But his fan service isn't even good.

Still the highlight of the series. That reveal fucked me up.

"you can't expect a LV 50 to grow at the same rate as a lv 1" ~ all might.
this is basically miu and kenichi right here.

Intermediary Disciple, the reveal about his family was cool but that ranking shit also showed how much of a literal who Kenichi still was in their martial arts world, ridiculous.

It's good enough, it's definitely what kept the series running as long as it did.

Some people don't HSDK is a remake of a 10 volume series Matsuena made before with almost the same premise and characters, but since his art wasn't as polished back then it didn't attract much of a readership who liked it for the fighting alone so it ended as a short manga.

It's good enough, it's definitely what kept the series running as long as it did.

Some people don't know HSDK is a remake of a 10 volume series Matsuena made before with almost the same premise and characters, but since his art wasn't as polished back then it didn't attract much of a readership who liked it for the fighting alone so it ended as a short manga.

context senpaitachi

And it remains the most solid part of Kenichi, really. It was just a nerd learning some basic shit from quirky martial artists that let him stand up to local bullies. Shigure never did anything in the early parts because Shigure's character didn't exist in the original. After going past the original older script the powerlevels began raising and it all got goofy as shit.

Wait, Kenichi ended? Fug, what happened? I remember liking the anime, but never really read the manga.

Dude was on a quest to kill evil Yami member who killed his master while making goofy calls to his wife, who was his master's daughter. He bonds with Kenichi, due to him also wanting to bone his master's granddaughter.
Turns out waifu was also killed, while pregnant and the calls he was making had her voice on an answering machine.

It has been a while, I don't remember the finest details but the guy was a businessman martial artist, sometimes he challenged Kenichi's dojo and sometimes helped him.

He had this running gag where when he was overpowering foes in a match, he was talking on his cell with his family while fighting, then he said he had some urgent business to attend and called the fight off, it all played like a gag.

Then the gag got spinned into a tragedy, the guy wasn't speaking with his family on his cell, he was actually deluding himself into thinking he was; his backstory is that his wife, pregnant with his child, got killed by one of the dark masters, he went batshit insane after that, living the life of a business man who always lived in a illusion world where he was constantly talking to his wife and child on his cell.

Basically he kept challenging masters to one day be strong enough to have his revenge.

>Wait, Kenichi ended?what happened?
>I remember liking the anime, but never really read the manga.

Holy shit man, where you living in a cave? Manga ended years ago, and the anime didn't cover even one third of the manga.

thanks senpaitachi

im still upset about the super swordsman coming out of nowhere and miu didn't deserve kenichi, such a stale character barely any development and doesn't deserve to be fought over for by two guys.

How would Sup Forums feel if Kenichi ended up marrying Shigure instead?

Wouldn't mind at all. She was hands down best girl anyway. Miu was boring as fuck.

I would have been fine with this. Shigure was the best female character of the main ones.

>im still upset about the super swordsman coming out of nowhere
Who? Shit, the series became so forgetable to me besides the fanservice that I stopped caring about the plot after a while. I only remember the bird cage dude who wanted to have Miu for himself and died to protected her from getting shot.

Kenichi and Miu seemed pretty solid to me in the final volumes, they had that arc where she wanted to know more about her parents and stuff, in fact the thing Kenichi being loyal to Miu was one of few original things this otherwise average series had, Kenichi had like 4 or 5 girls on his dick by that point but he never wavered, he only had eyes for Miu.

What's Tokiwa Kitareri!! like?

What? There was no swordsman who fought with Kenichi over Miu. Sho was a karate main who had learned some stuff from the other yami masters.

Good but hamfisted, one of Kenichi's few qualities was that he was very loyal to Miu, he ignored all girls that wanted his dick as the series went, Renka in particular was basically throwing his panties on him by the end, Kenichi never wavered.

Awful and already over.

Perfect, that was actually the ending I was waiting for.

Just started it right now, and 10 pages in, it's too much of a sausage fest. Where are the girls? Why are there only dudes?

How? You were pretty much expecting for an impossible ending, Kenichi didn't have lingering thoughts for anyone but Miu, the most the other girls could do was make him a bit frustrated.

>55 new manga series were launched

jesus christ the madman

i can feel it happening for One Piece, some moon people shit and Luffy repeating the same fate of Roger

i legit hope it happens for one piece, the series legitimately stopped having any semblance of effort thrown in ever since the timeskip.

At least we got several chapters of max lewd Shigure.

Don't kid yourself, we will never escape wan piss. It's going to get milked for eternity. If shit like Naruto and Dragon Ball got new series after their respective endings; then you can bet your ass a behemoth like One Piece will keep going. Toei/Jump will work Oda to death and then keep dragging his corpse around until it's been ground to dust.

Don't worry, the 3 main girls will show up soon.

I can feel it NOT happening to One Piece at all, Jump will let Oda finish the series with everything he wants to write in it, they might even make him drag out so WSJ never lose its golden goose. Matsuena didn't have the same prestige.

Her being naked for the entire final arc was great.

choose one

Shigure always.

I don't understand how you can work on something for so long and be ok with it just being fucking axed like that. Though I suppose it was the dude's fault for dragging that shit out for as long as he did. I was waiting for ages for Kenichi to make a notable development, maybe beat someone impressive, but he every fight he had he either jobbed or barely won. 13000 chapters of
>WOAH he's strong, almost as strong as miu
>gee wow he sure does act alot like master grandpa
>man imagine how strong he will be in 100 chapters

now that i think about it i really have no idea why i stuck with it for as long as i did. i never really cared about anyone other than kenichi, and yet 70% of the chapters were about side characters having long, drawn-out fights

I had forgotten bow woman, she was cool in a weird way.

Am i gay for not getting a boner the whole arc ?

Yes.

massively underrated and forgotten

This

nah man, shigure was almost naked literally 90% of the manga. the author draws everyone's bodies fucking identically anyway. thier clothes were their only defining fucking feature. honestly if anything it just irritated me how noone seemed to give a fuck this highly autstic bombshell was jumping about naked.

>shigure was almost naked literally 90% of the manga
That could be the reason, its like seeing your childhoodfriend naked and you wouldnt pop up a boner

Thank you, more please.

is his new series already canceled? Everyone that was scanlating it dropped it.

I wish Kenichi had more boy fanservice. Just seeing their butts would fill me with glee.

It's finished yes.

>i never really cared about anyone other than kenichi, and yet 70% of the chapters were about side characters having long, drawn-out fights
Hope my friend, it was hope, like me you one day hope Matsuena would make Kenichi slowly develop into a Master on-screen, but it never happened, he had 61 fucking volumes, 12 fucking years, do to so, but he never did, the masters overtook the series and Kenichi was a disciple till the very end, then a half-assed just told in 4 pages that one day Kenichi became a master, married Miu and they had a daughter, no natural progression for that.

So did we get better Shounen than Kenichi among the 55 that replaced the axed series?

Not sure why I liked bow lady so much. Never really liked the fan service, but she hit some unknown fetishes or something.

Well, I would believe Sekai Oni, Mob Psycho, Kengan Asura were are part of the new line-up among all Magazine titles but nope, they are all from 2012, can't say I know a 2014 Magazine title that became a hit, the only recent Magazine title that I know of is Amano Megumi wa Suki Darake! and that came 2015; all Magazine titles that I know of are old.

Oh wait, there's Helck I guess, it's from 2014 and it's kinda good.