Why wasn't this as popular as Kemono Friends when its story...

Why wasn't this as popular as Kemono Friends when its story, characters and animation was miles better compared to Kemono Friends?

What did Etotama fail at?

It was ahead of its time.

Im still pissed about the fact it sold badly, the story could have been a bit better though.

Hetshit.

/thread

for anal

Didn't they try rebooting it as a for-kids project? How'd that go?

I started watching it recently, but it hasn't clicked with with me like Kemono Friends did. I've only gotten to the point where Nyaa-tan defeats Moo-tan, so I have more to go through. It kind of reminds me of Xiaolin Showdown, though less weighted, oddly enough.

You're about to commit a crime. Do you want to continue?
[ ]Y
[ ]N

[X] dessdess

It wasn't "deep" enough. Should have throw a few hints to a darker setting for autists to latch on and make up theories.

Yes dess dess

No merchandising? No advertising? Whoever was in charge of promoting the series screwed up the sales for the BDs? At least that's the only thing I can think of, because whatever Kemono Friends did, Etotama did it better, and the ending was the perfect setting for a second season of Nyaa-tan fighting gods from all civilizations, it would have been huge with the right team working on it.

It has sexualized female characters, and that triggers Americans.

> At least that's the only thing I can think of, because whatever Kemono Friends did, Etotama did it better

I don't think Etotama is the kind of show you can show your kids with little to no worries. Despite what some may argue, KF being a kid-friendly show was one of its charms. Meanwhile Etotama wastes little time in shoving 75% naked notDejiko into your eyeholes.
That, and Kemono looked like the earnest, best effort of an amateur studio. It's odd to think that "It looks bad" could be a charming point, but a lot of its initial audience were looking for a trainwreck to laugh at. Once their guard and expectations were down, the show blind sided them with its charms. The surprise factor is very much a thing.

I just buy her lots of sesame oil.

It's pointless to compare any show to Kemono Friends because it's a meme show in the truest sense. Its popularity has nothing to do with the actual quality of the work, but is entirely based on the fanbase sustaining itself. So your question can only be answered with "because the fanbase isn't as dedicated/autistic."

> Its popularity has nothing to do with the actual quality of the work, but is entirely based on the fanbase sustaining itself.
So a fanbase that didn't exist prior to show airing can somehow sustain itself? This doesn't make any sense.

You're not very bright, are you?

Shima-tan is a miracle.

>t. shit taste

But Americans don't like Kemono Friends either.

>What did Etotama fail at?
Same season as SB69

Yeah, the threads on Sup Forums are pretty much the only western community for Kemono Friends. It's huge in Japan, on the other hand.

Niether are you if you're .

Not liking the show is one thing, it's am odd show with an odd premise that's about an adventure that's as safe as one can imagine. But I never understood the bizarre, tinfoil hat-ish explanations for its popularity.

Kemono Friends got popular because it was charming and fun in a refreshing way.
Simple as that.

Do you want an actual answer, or just shitposting?
Etotama was pretty good, and its use of CG was amazing both for looking good and knowing its limits. But it wasn't great, and it was also pretty firmly an otaku show without mainstream appeal. They made jokes about buying the BDs. There was never any hope of it exploding the way Kemono Friends did.

>tinfoil hat-ish explanations
What are you even talking about? Lots of shows are gain popularity based on their fanbases and the content they put out. How is that tinfoil hat?

And claiming that something can't be self-sustaining just because it didn't create itself is just plain stupid.

Did the thought ever cross your mind that the reason the fanbase is so persistent is because people like the show?
Like, really really like the show.

Mine doing the character designs sure didn't hurt, either.

I will never be more mad that this didn't get really popular at least enough for a season 2

Never heard of this show but it looks like generic otaku-pandering shit.
At least Kemono Friends seems more wholesome.

No, but it wasn't helping the manga or mobage much before the anime landed either.

It's simple.
Yes they're both shows about animal girls, but Etotama didn't capture the sense of childhood nostalgia that Kemono Friends did.
Kemono Friends invoked the feelinh of watching a kid's cartoon AS a kid, which is a something everyone who watched it has been missing for a long time.

Isn't that exactly what the original post said?

As a fan of the series, I regret that it failed, I really do

IMO, it failed because of competition and poor airing date, like it could even go against Show By Rock. Not only that, the characters were interesting, but they were mostly ignored. Plot and pacing wasn't that good, and to be honest, nya-tan was too hyperactive to be a likeable MC

Mei-tan still the fluffiest and cutest though

No, he said the fanbase was persistent because it was autistic.
It's not autistic to love things.

Nya-tan was insufferable, while she grew on my by the end of the series, I almost dropped it after a few episodes. Also Takeru didn't even need to exist.
Uma-tan best episode

His implication seemed to be that it's popularity has nothing to do with the quality of the show itself and is instead just a meme of people liking to be part of the fanbase. It's a retarded thought process and it isn't the first time I've seen someone jump through hoops to reach that conclusion.

> Lots of shows are gain popularity based on their fanbases and the content they put out.

I know stuff like Touhou does, Vocaloids, and maybe even KanColle may count as well. But none of those are, or started as, TV shows. As well, while the fanbases of these properties are self-sustaining, they didn't come absolutely out of nowhere. The closest to a thing being popular for popularity's sake it Vocaloid, specifically Miku, who was popular for her design.

Kemono Friends is not as big as the three aforementioned properties. As well, it only became popular in recent months. Prior to that it was a failing franchise with no notability. It didn't have much of a fanbase to maintain, so how can it like Touhou, Vocaloid, ot KanColle at this early age?

Nya-tan being insufferable was the best part, though.

No, but most autism comes from extreme love for something. Nobody is denying that people like the show, just that the dedication they show is disproportional to the quality of the original work.

That's just like, you opinion, man.

Did you watch past the first episode?
How do you know it isn't quality?

I watched the first four episodes on the days they aired and discussed how bad the CG and voice acting were in the dead as fuck threads, then I dropped it because there were no redeeming features and I could tell it wasn't going to get any better. Then the Japanese started making a bunch of fanart and suddenly a 24/7 general popped up and people started claiming it was the best thing ever. So it all just looks like bandwagoning to me.

Speaking personally. I wasn't there for all that (Was trying to quite Sup Forums at the time). I didn't see the fanwork, didn't know about what went down on Twitter, and only really heard about it months after the show ended. I heard some good things about it, got curious, and eventually gave it a watch.

I liked it. Unfortunately, no one really discussed or mentioned the show on the Western Web after it aires, so I ended up back here. Can't speak of others, though.

Well I watched the whole series after a recommendation from a friend and I enjoyed it quite a bit on its own merits. I think it just comes down to a difference of taste.

The threads were mostly having fun by episode 3 and already looting futaba. You're full of shit.

>a recommendation from a friend
Maybe it's only enjoyable if you're a normalfag, then. It would be fitting, I suppose.

I'm sorry your life is a meme. You can have a couple of friends without being a "normalfag".

The plot wasn't that strong, Takeru was largely a non-character, and it wasn't promoted enough.