So apparently North and South Korea have come to a sekrit (for now) agreement

What concessions do you suppose both sides have made? Clearly whatever concession Moon has made is breddy breathtaking or else you know he wouldn't have to keep it secret from the South Korean public?

I'm guessing the gist of it is gradual USFK withdrawal in return for gradual denuclearization.

If the South Korean government presents the South Korean public and the United States with essentially a ready-made deal that promises to avoid outright war, they will be tempted to bite. South Koreans because they don't want a war and because the ruling party has for better or worse really been pumping this idea of an independent South Korean defense, and the US because it gives Trump a way out of this whole thing that won't start World War III or at the very least an unpopular quagmire of a land war in Asia. Thoughts?

I know a lot of people think the South Korean public wouldn't go for it, but civic society has been mentally preparing the groundwork for this stuff by a) pushing the idea that South Korea can fully defend itself b) demonizing the US c) emphasizing that a weak confederation can limit the dangers full unification would pose and d) de-emphasizing and downplaying how dangerous North Korea could be (the whole if-you-are-really-suspicious-of-North-Korea-you're-probably-Ilbe-or-an-old-has-been-loser meme).

if true, large.

I suppose other theories include denuclearization for massive aid or Korean confederation without a US withdrawal. But what if the US double crosses North Korea and attacks after denuclearization? Seems unlikely but still. What else could guarantee North Korea’s security or at least improve it enough besides a withdrawal to justify denuclearization?

>What concessions do you suppose both sides have made?
probably something very simple. like, lets leave each other alone for now. both countries waste money and resources over this

The US position is that without North Korean moves towards denuclearization, they will have to move to "Phase 2", though.

So no deal that doesn't involve denuclearization can stave off a US attack... and North Korea will want something very substantial in return.

Also, "let's leave each other alone for now" isn't the kind of thing you need to keep hush-hush until you are in a position to announce it to the public later.

although i agree. it is still a situation about losing face. excuse me for my ignorance, but isn't that very important in Asian cultures?

I don't understand your point, South Korea has to do something that will get the US off their back, that means making the nuclear problem go away regardless of what they have to do, essentially North Korea and the US have a gun to their heads

Denuclearization isn’t going to happen you fucking mouth breathing retard.

President Moon and his party are all fucking commies. This “peace deal” is only to have the USFK leave so that South Korea will have its asshole gaping open for Kim Jong Un.

>Denuclearization isn’t going to happen you fucking mouth breathing retard.

OK, I'm not disagreeing with you about the commie part, but if there is no denuclearization, how is a USFK withdrawal going to happen? Without one, all that will happen next is that after Moon gets his faggy "confederation" is that the US will tear both Koreas a new one to force denuclearization, right? Unless the US accepts a united, nuclear-armed Communist Korea

I guess they accepted a Communist China with nukes, so it's not unthinkable that they just sign a peace treaty and cut their losses without denuclearization or a war, but... Jesus Christ that sounds like hell

You're bumming me out Burgernon, I hadn't even thought of that possibility before, that the US just cuts and runs

Not even South Koreans deserve this shit man

Let’s be honest, the Trump administration has shown that it does not like Korea. While Japan will be exempt from the new tariffs, Korea will be hit hard. If given a way to leave, I think Trump would take it.

How does one confirm denuclearization without a doubt? Do you think they’ll let UN inspectors roam freely in North Korea? What reason does North Korea have to give up their nukes in the first place? There’s literally no reason that they would want to give them up, and Koreans (as well as a lot of the western press) are retarded for believing it for a second.

Moon is a 빨갱이 traitor, and is a prime example as to why Korea needs a second amendment.

Democratization before unification was a mistake. As long as South Korea was a dictatorship ironically enough, the purpose of the South Korea state was built in: to create a united, democratic Korean state.

But since South Korea is democratic now, its purpose is nothing at all, or rather its purpose is whatever South Korean voters want it to be. Democracy can beat itself, essentially.

Actually modern South Korean democracy is kind of shit, but South Koreans both overvalue the faggy stupid aspects of a democratic system, and yet undervalue their fundamental freedoms like movement, the right to work where they want, the right to freely sit public exams and get good jobs if they get a high enough score unrelated to their political record etc.

I think Koreans are just naturally aligned with authoritarianism. Leftists love the idea of a commie dictatorship, right wing loves the idea of a military dictatorship. Democracy in Korea is a total farce.

Slave mentality, I guess.

>What concessions do you suppose both sides have made?

The leaders get to fuck each other's sisters while they play videogames.

Gee I wonder who predicted this

literally no one wants reunification

Who

Kim?

south koreans dont want reunification

I don't know much about s.korea's current internal politics but I would still doubt that the government would be stupid enough or the people would allow unification to happen.
however, if they do, they will pay dearly for it. they will lose everything.
communists are liars and backstabbers. they will break every promise, if you give an inch they will take a mile

Guaranteed work contracts for NK worth $x billions in exchange for removal of nukes.

NK has been close to collapse for decades. A sweet deal requiring NKs only real export (cheap labour) is the only thing that makes sense.

They also don’t want uncle Donald to tear the South Korean economy a new asshole though

So they might accept concessions that chip away at their sovereignty as an alternative to a 30% unemployment rate when investors head for the exits and/or tens of thousands at least of korean conscripts coming back in bodybags

Although investors might start fucking off out of fear of South Korea’s future in a confederation too idk but South Koreans might hope to limit the damage the way Hong Kong did, buy a few decades of peace and quiet or at least more peace and quiet than a war or some shit

the tariffs arent happening

Why would investors leave!? It's not one or the other.

Is there something I'm missing here, I can't say I know great deal about SK's politics.

I don’t mean tariffs Im talking about phase 2 against the north which will be bad for the south too even in a best case scenario

Gommies wanna take property away from south Korea’s wealthy because of the jap collaborator/porky meme

Your Samsung shares are possibly unsafe if the country is even partly under the influence of black lives matter: gook edition

>I'm guessing the gist of it is gradual USFK withdrawal in return for gradual denuclearization.
It will soon be called "Korea". NK is a shadow government. Kim knows this, is out of nukes thanks to Trump's tough stance on China. Kim is going to be a part of drafting a new constitution, and an eventual merging of the two governments.

NK already doesn't have nukes. They are out. Right now, it's about how to make it look like they've voluntarily denuclearized.

>Tsundere Korea
>Senpai korea
>getting along
unlikely

the northern peasants r increasingly aware of the outside world and their oppressive rulers. shudnt a revolutiob happen soon?